Jarvis Varnado wins SEC defensive Player of the Year award...

OMlawdog

Feb 27, 2008
He swept the coaches vote.

Just imagine if he could actually play defense.

Rhodes and Gordon first team selections.

</p>

OMlawdog

Feb 27, 2008

</p>

OMlawdog

Feb 27, 2008

</p>

patdog

May 28, 2007
Gillespie as Coach of the Year is the biggest joke in the history of the award. He's done a good job of getting things turned around in mid-season up there. But he's also the coach who started the season 6-7. And it's not like he inherited a mess of a program when he took over up there like Pitino did. Pearl deserved COTY, but I'd have given it to Stans, Stallings, Kennedy or Pelphrey before I'd have given it to Gillespie.</p>

VegasDawg13

Jun 11, 2007
People always say that Pelphrey's done a good job this year when they bring him up. Why?

His team under-achieved this year. They were supposed to be the best team in the West. Obviously, most people didn't have us going 12-4, but Arkansas still should have been in contention in the last week of the season. We beat them by three games. They were one of the last teams into the NCAAs last year. They brought virtually everyone back. That means that with an equal coaching job to last year they would be easily in because of the additional maturity and development of the players. However, here they are looking to be one of the last teams in the tournament aGAIN.

Stan Heath + 12 seed = Fired.

John Pelphrey + 11 seed (?) with a more experienced, equally talented team = Job well done.

I don't get it.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I'm not saying Pelphrey deserves COTY, just that I'd give it to even him over Gillespie. And, BTW, neither Stan Heath or Tubby Smith deserved to be fired last year.</p>

OMlawdog

Feb 27, 2008
Arkansas was horrible at times this year and I can see them being knocked out in their first game in the SEC tourney and headed to the NIT.

I do think Gillepsie did a good job in conference, but so did Stans and actually they had a somewhat similiar season.

</p>

patdog

May 28, 2007
Croom improved his team by 5 wins. Gillespie is 18-11. This time last year, Kentucky was 19-9.

Stormrider81

May 1, 2006
Pelphrey did a bad job this year. I didn't think Stan Heath was all that good, but firing him after a NCAA bid considering what state things were in when he got there was idiotic. That would be akin, not equal mind you, to us firing Croom for making it back to the Liberty Bowl this year.

patdog

May 28, 2007
How is that any different from any of the last 10 years of Arkansas basketball? I'm not saying Pelphrey did a particularly great job this year, just that he did a better job overall than Gillespie did.

Gillespie - 18-11 record vs. 19-9 under Smith at this time last year. #49 RPI.
Pelphrey - 20-10 record vs. 18-11 under Heath at this time last year. #42 RPI.

muddawgs33

Aug 28, 2007
I don't know if I would put all the blame on Pelphrey. I mean the guy came into a terrible situation. Like you said, Heath shouldn't have been fired after an NCAA tournament bid. The players were pissed. There were rumors of players transfering out. It was just a bad situation all the way around and I don't know if they gave Pelphrey a fair shot.

VegasDawg13

Jun 11, 2007
Pelphrey's been pretty fortunate this year with injuries. Gillespie has had a rash of injuries.

You're ignoring the fact that Gillespie improved his team over the course of the year, while Arkansas has been consistently mediocre.

Also, Gillespie has shown some semblence of being able to get his team to perform on the road. Pelphrey has not.

VegasDawg13

Jun 11, 2007
If he went the whole season without being able to rally the troops, then yes, he does deserve the blame.

D

Doggy60

OMlawdog said:

</p>

</p>He can play defense. Leading the Country in blocks is ACTUALLY DEFENSE!

patdog

May 28, 2007
I agree that Gillespie has done a good job of turning the Kentucky team around in mid-season. But you can't ignore that he's the coach that <17>ed it up in December too. Gillespie will be one of the best coaches in the conference over the next few years. Pelphrey will be average at best. But, based on what they've done this year, neither of them deserve to be named coach of the year.
</p>
Edited to add that if you're coaching Kentucky and you're not even projected to be a top 8 seed in the NCAA tournament, you aren't a coach of the year in anything.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
that is an avg team at best (with patterson) and they went 12-4 and had to play Vandy and KY twice. They also dealt with injuries to their 4th and 5th players well before patterson went down.

They should be awful next year, but I look for Gillespie to do big things at that program.

Columbus Dawg

Feb 23, 2008
strongly disagree 8dog. You can't lose by 40+ to Vandy, lose in Rupp to Gardner Webb and San Diego, and do all of this with 2 senior guards in Bradley and Crawford and be named Coach of the Year ahead of Pearl, Stallings, Stansbury, and even Billy Donovan. I don't care that much really, but I just can't see it.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
loses games they shouldn't, especially when they are average. We aren't average and we got routed by Ark and lost to Miami OH.

Im just not going to eliminate a coach based on a couple of losses. 12-4 is impressive in the East. Its certainly debatable b/w him and Pearl, but most people act like its just absurd to think Gillespie should even be considered. If we played in the East, Im not sure we'd have gone 12-4 and we have possibly the most talented trio in the conference.

Stormrider81

May 1, 2006
to be based on what one did in SEC play moreso than in OOC play. Gillespie went 12-4 in the tough East and should have at least gotten a serious consideration. I would have also included (in no particular order) Stallings, Stans, and Pearl. I could see any of those 4 winning it and have no problem with that.

Columbus Dawg

Feb 23, 2008
Sometimes you lose games you shouldn't and then there's losing by 16 points on your home floor to Gardner Webb. I'm not saying they're not an average team, but they returned the majority of their team that went to the second round of the NCAAT last year and they finished with a worse overall record. And the result is Coach of the Year? Ok, fine.

MSU, on the other hand, only returned 2 starters from a team that went to the NIT. Stallings lost his best player and they were projected at the bottom of the East by some people and Pear has earned a number 1 seed at UT. </p>

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
lost its best player as well from last year. They finised 3 games ahead of last year in conference and only lost 1 game more overall than they did last year. And they were without Meeks most of the year and Jasper for some time. Then Patterson was gone the last two weeks.

That's a pretty good job.

fishwater99

Jun 4, 2007
Agreed 8Dog

UK fans went from wanting Billy G's head to he is the Savior all in on season.
If they get hot in the SEC tourney they could be trouble for us and UT.

tecmsu06

Mar 2, 2008
Pelphrey took over a senior laden-team and implemented a completely different style of play. He has done very well this year. I don't think he deserves COTY, but BG? Pearl should have taken it, easily.

Columbus Dawg

Feb 23, 2008
They returned 4 of 5 starters from an NCAA Tourney team and replaced the one guy they lost with a 5 star recruit. But I agree, he did a pretty good job. Coach of the Year? No But pretty good job? Yes</p>

awalkerdog

Feb 18, 2007
how can he get the defense award when he doesn't even play any backside defense? Please, he gave up way to many backside points trying to bloke the damn ball all the time.

jackobee

Mar 10, 2008
How is it that Vanardo is Defensive Player of the year and yet does not make either the first or second All SEC teams?

oem

Feb 23, 2008
patdog said:
I'm not saying Pelphrey deserves COTY, just that I'd give it to even him over Gillespie. And, BTW, neither Stan Heath or Tubby Smith deserved to be fired last year.</p>

</p>Where do we start? First of all, can you provide me with the link where Tubby Smith was fired? Because I can't find it. While I would have voted Stansbury COY, I've got no problem with how it shook out. To get to 12 SEC wins with that team and those injuries is a great coaching job.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login