Just had Edam cheese for the first time

UpTheMiddlex3Punt

May 28, 2007
It's awful stuff. I don't get how it sells out and becomes unavailable. People need to quit ordering it.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
I’m not an Edam fan either. I’m gifted several balls per year and I usually shred it for cooking. The Vallegerette is legit good cheese, reminds me of a baby Swiss. The cheddar is just a cheddar, it’s no better nor worse than most other cheeses you can buy at a store.

Sep 12, 2013
I’m not an Edam fan either. I’m gifted several balls per year and I usually shred it for cooking. The Vallegerette is legit good cheese, reminds me of a baby Swiss. The cheddar is just a cheddar, it’s no better nor worse than most other cheeses you can buy at a store.

Maybe it’s too sharp? And doesn’t leave a good after taste. Just wasn’t impressed. I got the pack that contains 4 different types including the vallegerettte, hopefully it will be as you say.

I always bragged to my ol lady about how MSU makes great cheese. They let me down.

Nov 29, 2017
I made it while I was in college. That was my first job on campus. The only stuff I’ll touch is the jalapeños cheese.

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
I like the Edam, but it is a pain in the rear end to do anything with because of the shape.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Its basically just a light gouda. Goes well on a cheese board with fruits and crackers. Pair it with a Sauvignon Blanc or Sancerre wine, Newcastle beer, or Speyside scotch if eating it fresh off a board.

For a killer recipe, my wife makes Hawaiian Sliders with sliced edam (gouda or swiss if we don't have it.) See below for recipe.

If you don't like edam, you're probably not into cheese. It's not potentially offensive like limburger, munster, or stilton. Just a mild nutty cheese. Maybe you need to stick to cheddar and Velveeta going forward, because there's some stinky *** cheese out there...

View attachment 24202
https://www.bunsinmyoven.com/hot-and-melty-oven-baked-ham-and-swiss-sandwiches/

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I don't know if my taste buds changed or what but I really liked Edam growing up but not anymore, seems very different now. The cheddar and jalapeno seems more like Velveeta consistency too now than a regular cheddar or Jack consistency

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Probably because we have more access now to higher quality cheeses. Edam was better back in the day because you didn’t have anything better.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Its basically just a light gouda. Goes well on a cheese board with fruits and crackers. Pair it with a Sauvignon Blanc or Sancerre wine, Newcastle beer, or Speyside scotch if eating it fresh off a board.

For a killer recipe, my wife makes Hawaiian Sliders with sliced edam (gouda or swiss if we don't have it.) See below for recipe.

If you don't like edam, you're probably not into cheese. It's not potentially offensive like limburger, munster, or stilton. Just a mild nutty cheese. Maybe you need to stick to cheddar and Velveeta going forward, because there's some stinky *** cheese out there...

View attachment 24202

https://www.bunsinmyoven.com/hot-and-melty-oven-baked-ham-and-swiss-sandwiches/

The average person out there would probably like all of our choices MSU makes when presented the proper way. I'm a cheese enthusiast myself and I agree when you're having anything other than cheddar or Velveeta it all depends on how you present the cheese in ways other than just a chunk on a saltine cracker.

I like creating a queso out of the jalapeño cheese and using the cheddar for recipes. If you don't have time to figure out what's the best way to present a Mississippi state cheese then you're probably better off with canned cheddar and sliced Kraft American cheese.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
My in laws were the biggest MSU folks I ever knew and Edam cheese was an essential Christmas gift that they thought everyone should cherish (bless their hearts). LOL At any given time for years we had two or three of those damn balls in our frig AFTER we had given some away to others. We never had the heart to tell them we didn't like the stuff.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
As many have already said better, it's a quality cheese. If you don't like it that's fine, but it's made well and something MSU can and should be rightfully proud to produce.

WrapItDog

Aug 23, 2012
To fully appreciate Edam Cheese you need to pair it with a good bottle of wine.

You should try the Edam cheese again with a bottle of Boone's Farm Strawberry Hill. Make sure your pinky is extended when you take a swig out of the bottle

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
To fully appreciate Edam Cheese you need to pair it with a good bottle of wine.

You should try the Edam cheese again with a bottle of Boone's Farm Strawberry Hill. Make sure your pinky is extended when you take a swig out of the bottle

I'm sorry, but pinky extension is not appropriate with Boone's Farm.

Only quality wines with known grape varietals justify a pinky extension.

My suggestion is Franzia Cabernet Sauvignon. 34 5 oz servings for $20 or so. Price is a sign of quality.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Cheese Snob Smack Talk on The Pack, that's got to be a 1st. I admit my lack of knowledge on the subject. I've always appreciated bourbon and scotch straight up so I could appreciate the real flavors, same with coffee hot and black. I figured cheese would be the same way and not have to be propped up by fruit, crackers or wine to make it taste good

Last edited:

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
The average person out there would probably like all of our choices MSU makes when presented the proper way. I'm a cheese enthusiast myself and I agree when you're having anything other than cheddar or Velveeta it all depends on how you present the cheese in ways other than just a chunk on a saltine cracker.

I like creating a queso out of the jalapeño cheese and using the cheddar for recipes. If you don't have time to figure out what's the best way to present a Mississippi state cheese then you're probably better off with canned cheddar and sliced Kraft American cheese.

Never ever speak Ill of canned cheese. Squirt Cheese is the perfect accessory to any cracker. Put a can in your pocket, let it warm up a little, squirt that **** on a club cracker and you've got fine dining.

Maroonthirteen

Aug 22, 2012
Sometimes I wonder what exactly some people are seeing when watching a game. Then I see a thread like this..... just illogical and dumb.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login