Just lost the only CB in our class

skydawg1

Jul 31, 2007
I read this morning that the top 4 players in MS are all DL and State has zero of them committed. UM has 3. Wtf is going?

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
Drops us to last in the conference in the 247 rankings, and while there’s still a lot of time, the list of uncommitted options is dwindling.

This coaching staff is just not competing right now in any area

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
If all this stuff is true about the price tag for these guys, and recruits wanting to be paid for visits, then I don’t blame the coaches. We simply cannot play the money game in football.

We are going to have to develop the diamonds then hit the portal hard once all these guys get paid elsewhere and want to come back for PT.

Just how it is.

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
Go get Lebby and keep Bumphis. Tell our 2 WRs commits they’ll be playing in Oklahoma’s offense next year, and wipe the slate clean.

Reactions: Crossroaddawg

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
It's not all about money. All of these colleges have enough NIL money. If you had several SEC options would you pick a rudderless dumpster fire or a quality program headed in the right direction? These kids wanna have a successful college career and showcase their talents and get in the NFL

Will Rogers.sixpack

Sep 25, 2022
It's not all about money. All of these colleges have enough NIL money. If you had several SEC options would you pick a rudderless dumpster fire or a quality program headed in the right direction? These kids wanna have a successful college career and showcase their talents and get in the NFL
It’s absolutely both, and we are near the bottom in both in the conference.

Will Rogers.sixpack

Sep 25, 2022
If you were a top player in Mississippi, would you want to go to Mississippi State over LSU, BAMA and Ole Miss right now?
Right. So now the ultimate question is, what type of coach and what type of scheme or “system” do we need to commit to here to neutralize and combat the talent gap. Mike Leach was perfect for us especially as we entered this new era of NIL and TP of college football. Wether it be in the air or on the ground, we absolutely need to think logically and go with someone and something outside the box than can do it with lesser talent and money. We need to think extreme.

Reactions: OG Goat Holder

blitz2Win

Sep 2, 2023
We made a joke of a hire… and recruits can see it from a mile away.

We wanted to preserve a recruiting class and instead wasted a season and this current recruiting class. Very short sighted move
So far that’s one portal class, one recruiting class and a season. if that gets compounded with another year of the same, that’s how you find yourself in a real deep hole.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
It's not all about money. All of these colleges have enough NIL money.
Define “enough NIL money”, because I can absolutely assure you we don’t have it.

It’s hilarious that people think that this year’s class is the beginning of this because of the current staff / team. It’s the exact opposite….this year’s team is the way it is BECAUSE of us getting our tails handed to us in NIL for 3+ years now. We haven’t signed an elite MS kid since Moorhead inked Forbes in the 2020 class. We need at least a couple of guys at that level every damn year.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Right. So now the ultimate question is, what type of coach and what type of scheme or “system” do we need to commit to here to neutralize and combat the talent gap. Mike Leach was perfect for us especially as we entered this new era of NIL and TP of college football. Wether it be in the air or on the ground, we absolutely need to think logically and go with someone and something outside the box than can do it with lesser talent and money. We need to think extreme.
You are correct, but I can’t let you take credit for this 😂. I’ve been screaming this idea for years.

Reactions: Will Rogers.sixpack

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
Absolutely. We need to be the odd scheme on our opponents' schedules and sell out to creating the roster for it. Preferably a system that can be rostered with local talent. I don't care if that's a Leach air raid system or the triple option. Just take some of the talent aspect out of it - we aren't going to win those battles consistently.

Chadwell? Heavy use of option with deep vertical game involved as well.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Absolutely. We need to be the odd scheme on our opponents' schedules and sell out to creating the roster for it. Preferably a system that can be rostered with local talent. I don't care if that's a Leach air raid system or the triple option. Just take some of the talent aspect out of it - we aren't going to win those battles consistently.

Chadwell? Heavy use of option with deep vertical game involved as well.
We need the modern version of RichRod. Some kind of up tempo run-based zig zaggy something or another, and throws in the run.

• Haha
Reactions: knock him out john

Johnnie Come Lately

Nov 4, 2022
We need the modern version of RichRod. Some kind of up tempo run-based zig zaggy something or another, and throws in the run.
I think Rich Rod himself would do just fine. He has a better resume than anyone we could likely hire. He is only 60 years old, and its only been 6 year since Greg Byrne saw fit to hire him at Arizona.

dogeater

Jan 24, 2020
I completely get the Coach Leach praise over here...he won some games, was competitive in some losses, and beat OM in his final game. His life is an interesting tale. After a somewhat abysmal start at State he appeared to have the program headed in the right direction. BUT, one can't (or should'nt) fail to notice that Coach Leach is the person primarily responsible for the talent level of this year's team. The talent on the offensive line and overall on the defensive side is below the level State has enjoyed in its recent history and overall team speed seems to have dropped. State's team recruiting rankings for the last three years are similar to that at OM. However, State has not had great success in the the portal. Did your admin and Coach Leach fail to appreciate the significance of the portal in today's game? Or, is there some other cause for the talent deficit? Or, do you guys think the current issues are less about talent and more related to coaching?

Reactions: Maroon13

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
Define “enough NIL money”, because I can absolutely assure you we don’t have it.

It’s hilarious that people think that this year’s class is the beginning of this because of the current staff / team. It’s the exact opposite….this year’s team is the way it is BECAUSE of us getting our tails handed to us in NIL for 3+ years now. We haven’t signed an elite MS kid since Moorhead inked Forbes in the 2020 class. We need at least a couple of guys at that level every damn year.
Where have our classes been ranked the last 3+ years ? What was last years record ?? Where is this years class gonna wind up ? Oh wait, I forgot. We are taking over Mississippi recruiting cause we got these Mississippi coaches.

Reactions: Ibdancin

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
I would urge my kid to look around before he signed up to be coached by our current crew, and I’m a state fan
Blind devotion to a school can backfire on a player. Look at Bo Nix. Harsin had him out there on the field unable to stand up straight at times, behind NO offensive line to speak of.

Reactions: knock him out john

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Where have our classes been ranked the last 3+ years ? What was last years record ?? Where is this years class gonna wind up ? Oh wait, I forgot. We are taking over Mississippi recruiting cause we got these Mississippi coaches.
NIL has only been around for the 22 and 23 classes so it’s not excuse as to why we are so bad on defense. Third and fourth year guys didn’t have NIL when they were recruited And Rara is the only guy we have lost.

blitz2Win

Sep 2, 2023
Didn’t we just have a thread on this a few days ago and a poster showed every recruiting class going back many years and Leachs classes were right At the avg historical ranking ? I guess no talent goes 9-4 and returning most of that 9-4 team is why there were so many predictions for 10 wins this year. because there is no talent

dogeater

Jan 24, 2020
seems to me your only meaningful losses to the portal have been rara and dillion johnson--both really good players. i don't know your roster that well, but i can't name a portal player of significance on either side of the ball for you guys. it seems strange to me that ya'll aren't attacking the portal in the same way OM has been doing.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
34 would be preferential to 54. The bigger the number the less talented the class is. It doesn't always reflect directly to the play on the field, see Texas A&M, but it is definitely important.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
NIL has only been around for the 22 and 23 classes so it’s not excuse as to why we are so bad on defense. Third and fourth year guys didn’t have NIL when they were recruited And Rara is the only guy we have lost.
In the 2021 class, only 4 of the top 15 players in MS played defense. We got one of them - John Lewis, who was at the time the #2 player in the state. He hasn’t really panned out. That and completely missing the December portal window to bring in high end transfers due to Leach’s passing is the rest of the story.

The 2023 class on defense might turn out OK, but only Issac Smith seems to be getting regular PT so far.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
34 would be preferential to 54. The bigger the number the less talented the class is. It doesn't always reflect directly to the play on the field, see Texas A&M, but it is definitely important.
Either one is going to land you at 5-7 in this league, so who cares. But sure, lets get up to 34 if somehow thats the benchmark….obviously would be better than 54.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Didn’t we just have a thread on this a few days ago and a poster showed every recruiting class going back many years and Leachs classes were right At the avg historical ranking ? I guess no talent goes 9-4 and returning most of that 9-4 team is why there were so many predictions for 10 wins this year. because there is no talent
Nobody predicted 10 wins this year except for the lunatic fringe of our fanbase. The Vegas O/U was 6.5, before any team took a single snap. 6-7 wins was the best case for the regular season…..maybe 8 if we had a ton of crazy bounces go our way like we did in 2007z.

And all the talent is gone….and there wasn’t that much to begin with. That 2nd part matters less on a Mike Leach team than it does now, but its no less true because he died. It doesn’t matter how many guys you bring back if you don’t bring back the right guys. Forbes, Young, RaRa, DJ, Green, Sharp, and Wheat were objectively 7 of the 8 most talented players we had (Tulu being the other). They are all gone.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I think Rich Rod himself would do just fine. He has a better resume than anyone we could likely hire. He is only 60 years old, and its only been 6 year since Greg Byrne saw fit to hire him at Arizona.
He did well at Ole Miss and he’s doing well at Jax State. We could do a lot worse.

I’ve been vocal about hiring Malzahn, but Rich Rod may be better for us.

dogeater

Jan 24, 2020
seem to me that State as a member of the best conference in college football is in an ideal position to work the portal. lots of spots to fill for playing time in the SEC. don't understand why you guys aren't attacking the portal--perhaps that changes in the next portal window?

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
seem to me that State as a member of the best conference in college football is in an ideal position to work the portal. lots of spots to fill for playing time in the SEC. don't understand why you guys aren't attacking the portal--perhaps that changes in the next portal window?
100% we should be. We should be selling what the majority of others can’t, a few of those are listed:

- playing time from another SEC school bench
- playing time in the SEC from another P5 bench

We also need to be mining the G5, but every other SEC team can offer them the same thing we can, which is PT in the SEC. But perhaps we can offer more of it I suppose. We definitely don’t want G5 bench warmers so there will be a lot of suitors for the good players.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
We usually get 5 or 6 guys from the portal the last 2 or 3 years. The ones we got this year aren't playing except Roberson. Some of them have injuries. Lee finally got some time. Not sure about Raydar Jones or Khamouri Rogers. Either they aren't healthy or just not talented enough to earn a spot in our awesome secondary.

Reactions: blitz2Win
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login