Kaydin Pope in the portal, 2nd WR behind Marquez Dortch.....

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I don't bring this up because I'm concerned, we all knew some transfers were coming. What it does make me think about is the difference between the offenses.

Leach was building a more 'plug and play' system offense with lesser talented pieces, that learned a process and ultimately would run like clockwork. That's the advantage. Pope and Dortch are those typical middling-level players.

Barbay is getting back to a more Mullen type approach based around the strengths of the players. Which ultimately, for MS, will trend more toward a run-based spread to take advantage of the typical talent we get. So to keep this up, we need to have dynamic players all the time, like Tulu.

Going forward (long term), I'm still not convinced what type of offensive 'plan' MSU should embrace. I really wanted to see what the Leach offense could do over the course of like 8 years. But if the Barbay/Arnett stuff mirrors Mullen, well we could do a lot worse I suppose.

QMartinez

Jan 17, 2023
Yes you could say the new offense relies much more on talent. This is why the current level of recruiting is concerning. I don’t see us bringing in a
Lot of four star talent while some very sought after players are leaving

Reactions: Jwhite639

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Yes you could say the new offense relies much more on talent. This is why the current level of recruiting is concerning. I don’t see us bringing in a
Lot of four star talent while some very sought after players are leaving
That's why, in this age of NIL, a 'system' coach at MSU was something that was a necessity, in my mind. Or at least an advantage. I'm not saying we have to run a triple option, but I certainly like the idea of a Leach/Malzahn/RichRod type offense (not necessarily those exact guys, but the next generation of innovative weird offenses).

Some coaches are fundamental/planning types. Some are X/O system guys. Some are CEO/recruiters. To me they generally fall into those 3 key areas.

Reactions: BA Dog

QMartinez

Jan 17, 2023
That's why, in this age of NIL, a 'system' coach at MSU was something that was a necessity, in my mind. Or at least an advantage. I'm not saying we have to run a triple option, but I certainly like the idea of a Leach/Malzahn/RichRod type offense (not necessarily those exact guys, but the next generation of innovative weird offenses).

Some coaches are fundamental/planning types. Some are X/O system guys. Some are CEO/recruiters. To me they generally fall into those 3 key areas.
If you are a historical have not and always behind financially you have to run a system that compensated for that.

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
I don't bring this up because I'm concerned, we all knew some transfers were coming. What it does make me think about is the difference between the offenses.

Leach was building a more 'plug and play' system offense with lesser talented pieces, that learned a process and ultimately would run like clockwork. That's the advantage. Pope and Dortch are those typical middling-level players.

Barbay is getting back to a more Mullen type approach based around the strengths of the players. Which ultimately, for MS, will trend more toward a run-based spread to take advantage of the typical talent we get. So to keep this up, we need to have dynamic players all the time, like Tulu.

Going forward (long term), I'm still not convinced what type of offensive 'plan' MSU should embrace. I really wanted to see what the Leach offense could do over the course of like 8 years. But if the Barbay/Arnett stuff mirrors Mullen, well we could do a lot worse I suppose.
Based on the name “Kaydin”, I though this was a WBB post. #uniqua

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
The two players transferring were bad evals by the Leach regime. They will be good players at Memphis & Southern Miss.

Last edited:

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
It’s April, I can’t make myself put stock in recruiting at this stage.
what she said yes GIF by TipsyElves.com

QMartinez

Jan 17, 2023
What’s the skinny on that tight end we took from Alabama who is rated #62 in state and had offers from fcs schools ?

Wesson Bulldog

Nov 3, 2015

Attachments

• 20210528_102135.jpg
    20210528_102135.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 6
Reactions: OG Goat Holder

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006

QMartinez

Jan 17, 2023

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
I was referring to Jay Lindsey our recent commit who held offers from Troy Southern Miss Arkansas State and Liberty
There ain’t much on him.

Different sites have different positions.

Edge and TE.

On3 also said Vandy offered him & he’s got good size.

If it were the 80s, I’d say that he’s going to be redshirted, bulk up, and be an offensive lineman.

But it’s forty years later.

• Haha
Reactions: LonesomeDog
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login