Kiffin equates his injury faking with Oregon's 12 men on the field: Agree?

columbiadawg2

Feb 2, 2010
This is fairly simple, both are using the current rules as they exist to your advantage which until they change the rules is perfectly legal regardless of how chicken **** it is. However, one is being done by Ole Miss so it's clearly not the same and they should be penalized severely.

I will say we also blatantly faked an injury to not use a timeout against UGA so....

Reactions: Predestined

RocketDawg

Oct 21, 2011
This is fairly simple, both are using the current rules as they exist to your advantage which until they change the rules is perfectly legal regardless of how chicken **** it is. However, one is being done by Ole Miss so it's clearly not the same and they should be penalized severely.

I will say we also blatantly faked an injury to not use a timeout against UGA so....

Yes, we appeared to, and that's not in the spirit of the game either.

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

Dawghouse

Sep 14, 2011
The 12 men should be dead ball penalty and clock goes back. Easy fix on that and they better do it because everyone will do that from now on in the rare circumstances that it's beneficial. It's like fouling when down by 3 in basketball though so they may not do anything.

TXDawg.sixpack

Apr 10, 2009
No where near the same. 12-men on the field is a creative use of the rule book (similar to what Belichick did with his multiple delay of game penalties - no one called that chicken shıt or cheating). Faking injuries is much better equated to flopping in basketball or soccer and is basically an admission that you can’t compete.

There’s a reason there’s such an outrage over the fake injuries…

Reactions: Doghaus

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
I don't know...a player who fakes being injured is lying. He is blatantly lying to the refs who are there to enforce rules related to fairness and player safety.

Oregon at least just used the rules to their advantage. They didn't lie to anyone; their plan was to get caught.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
First off, it does not surprise me in the least that I’m having to use my 9 year old in an analogy here because that about matches the maturity and intelligence level of Kiffin

But just as there are different degrees of crimes being committed, there are wildly varying magnitudes of “using the rulebook to your advantage” too. If my kid tells me he brushed his teeth when he didn’t, he’s in trouble for the night. If my kid tells me brushed his teeth when he didn’t while trying to trick me by wetting brush and then lies again when I give him a chance to fess up, he’s in trouble for the week.

If people can’t understand why getting kids to repeatedly fake agonizing injury throughout a game is a different level of $hithead than a one time occurrence of having an extra man n the field, I don’t know what to say

POTUS

Sep 29, 2022
One plays upon the rules, the other plays upon our concern for player safety. I'll let the intelligent among us decide which is more nefarious.

YesIAmAPirate

Oct 3, 2022
I don't know...a player who fakes being injured is lying. He is blatantly lying to the refs who are there to enforce rules related to fairness and player safety.

Oregon at least just used the rules to their advantage. They didn't lie to anyone; their plan was to get caught.
I agree. Oregon just got a penalty on purpose. No different than a DB grabbing a receiver after he is beat to keep them from catching up to the ball. A 15 yard penalty (in that situation) is a whole lot better than a sure TD

dawgman42

Jul 24, 2007
<olemiss>Kiffin should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell</olemiss>

Would you like a cookie, son?

DawgInThe256

Feb 18, 2011
Faking the injury is like the Kenny Pickett fake slide a few years ago that cuased a rule change.

Maybe George Carlin had the right idea many years ago:

"Another thing I would do in football, I would leave the injured on the field. Well they’re always talking about how it’s a big war going on out there. Fine, let the Red Cross come around and pick these ******** up."

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
The 12 men should be dead ball penalty and clock goes back. Easy fix on that and they better do it because everyone will do that from now on in the rare circumstances that it's beneficial. It's like fouling when down by 3 in basketball though so they may not do anything.
If 12 men becomes dead ball penalty, you can have unintended consequences there, too.

For example, if time is running down under 10 seconds, offense is down 4, completes a long pass down to the other team’s 30 yard line. Neither team has any timeouts. Offense doesn’t sub and lines up to run their last play, defense doesn’t have time to adjust personnel to cover the short field. Defense could run the 12th man on there to get the dead ball foul….thinking the 5 yards is an easy trade for them to get their ideal pass rush and coverage team out there for the final play. And the offense can’t run a free play, either.

Point being, there will always be a scenario you can come up with where an intentional defensive or offensive penalty might make sense. It’s very difficult to craft the rulebook to exactly match every potential situation perfectly.

Drugdawg

Sep 29, 2022
12 man loophole closed. Still assessed penalty yardage and the team can elect to have time added back

hdogg

Nov 21, 2014
There actually IS a penalty for 12 men on the field, so there is a consequence for doing it.
There isn't one for the faked injury so it's more nefarious because they cheat without consequences.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
12 man loophole closed. Still assessed penalty yardage and the team can elect to have time added back

“If the 12th defender was attempting to exit but was still on the field at the snap and had no influence on the play, then the normal substitution penalty would be enforced with no clock adjustment.”

So, they didn’t actually close the loophole. Now all you have to do is run the 12th man on earlier, and have them pretend to try and get off the field before the snap.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
People really get hurt and it is a slap in their face when guys fake injuries. It makes me sick when it happens. No comparison between the two. As far as Oregon goes, I think it is no different than a defense letting an offense score to save time on the clock for to get the ball back to their offense to score and try an onside kick.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login