Kiffin rumors are swirling re: Florida job...

Faustdog

Jun 4, 2007
Is this the year Kiffin takes the UF job?

I'm saying yes, and I think the Kentucky loss had to have pushed him in that direction. Here he is in what was supposed to be the year for them, and his portal heavy OM talent can't put away a middling UK team at home.

To get to the level of talent at UMiss that they have currently, I don't think you have any choice but to be very portal heavy.

UF with the right coach should be able to get those kids out of high school with more consistency than at OM and keep them, and I think Kiffin knows this.

What we're seeing now that the truly elite teams still get high school kids and develop them while strategically filling gaps with portal guys. It's extremely beneficial when the foundation of your team is made up of guys who have been in your system for multiple years learning that system.

From the UF perspective, do you think they're tired of getting Mississippi coaches and assuming they'll do better there just because it's Florida?

Mullen

Patty Mac

Andy Jackson

Reactions: Darryl Steight

DWarren

Oct 17, 2023
If he loses to South Carolina this weekend, Kiffin may be stuck in Oxford for a while.
Especially if the loss is a result of poor offensive game plan/play calling like last week. Kiffin and Weis Jr lost that game last week and they know that. I was shocked that they were that over confident against a quality KY team. Similar to the Tulane game last year except they managed to sneak out with a win in that one. The offense opened up after that. I expect they will do the same tomorrow. But boy oh boy if it goes poorly things will get interesting.

Reactions: Dawgg

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
From the UF perspective, do you think they're tired of getting Mississippi coaches and assuming they'll do better there just because it's Florida?
No, because they haven't been getting the right fits. Mullen and Bubba Napier were not the right candidates for that job.

Kiffin is so much like Spurrier it's insane. He's the perfect fit for them.

DWarren

Oct 17, 2023

I'm saying yes, and I think the Kentucky loss had to have pushed him in that direction. Here he is in what was supposed to be the year for them, and his portal heavy OM talent can't put away a middling UK team at home.

To get to the level of talent at UMiss that they have currently, I don't think you have any choice but to be very portal heavy.

UF with the right coach should be able to get those kids out of high school with more consistency than at OM and keep them, and I think Kiffin knows this.

What we're seeing now that the truly elite teams still get high school kids and develop them while strategically filling gaps with portal guys. It's extremely beneficial when the foundation of your team is made up of guys who have been in your system for multiple years learning that system.

Mullen

Patty Mac

Andy Jackson
Where are the rumors coming from? Much appreciated if you could drop some links. I thought that had died down the last month or so. Seemed like it was a daily topic for a bit and then all of a sudden several outlets came out and shot it down. Reese Davis shot it down on college gameday radio. Then one of the On3 national guys did the same and I havent heard much sense. It felt like Sexton had some big guns shut it down to avoid all the noise, distraction for Kiffin but I could be wrong.

Reactions: HuntDawg

TNDawg1

Oct 21, 2023
I think they’ll win this week and have trouble with LSU on the road next week. If they pull it together enough to win those two games they still will be in jeopardy against Ark and OU. Of course UGA will be loss #2 regardless.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Where are the rumors coming from? Much appreciated if you could drop some links. I thought that had died down the last month or so. Seemed like it was a daily topic for a bit and then all of a sudden several outlets came out and shot it down. Reese Davis shot it down on college gameday radio. Then one of the On3 national guys did the same and I havent heard much sense. It felt like Sexton had some big guns shut it down to avoid all the noise, distraction for Kiffin but I could be wrong.
A family friend named ...um... Knott... Knott Kricklin.

DawgatAuburn

Apr 25, 2006

Mullen

Patty Mac

Andy Jackson
Yes, I bet a lot of them are worried that Kiffin won't be a good fit because the tennis coach they hired from State in 2001 didn't take them to the top. That should do it. Kiffin stays.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Ole Miss is just as good of a job if not better than Florida is at the moment.. Florida is a huge rebuild and nothing is saying he'll be given time to get that done.

He's got kids and family that he doesnt want to move

He's a legend in oxford already.. he will never be that in Florida.

Kiffin has already been to marquee programs, he doesnt need to go just to say he's going.

Kiffin to florida aint happening.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Ole Miss is just as good of a job if not better than Florida is at the moment.. Florida is a huge rebuild and nothing is saying he'll be given time to get that done.

He's got kids and family that he doesnt want to move

He's a legend in oxford already.. he will never be that in Florida.

Kiffin has already been to marquee programs, he doesnt need to go just to say he's going.

Kiffin to florida aint happening.
Oh Dear God

If Florida wants him, the only thing stopping that is trouble with Loaferz being fired or Ole Miss in the playoff

Faustdog

Jun 4, 2007
Yes, I bet a lot of them are worried that Kiffin won't be a good fit because the tennis coach they hired from State in 2001 didn't take them to the top. That should do it. Kiffin stays.
Yeah, that was the post. It's just because of the tennis coach.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Oh Dear God

If Florida wants him, the only thing stopping that is trouble with Loaferz being fired or Ole Miss in the playoff
Oh Dear God--- Kiffin has to want Florida back... at this point... why would he?

Stay in oxford. Be a legend. Possibly break all the records, all that fun stuff.

OR

Go to florida and hope you are given time to rebuild and win.

Id bet if you ask mullen.. hed stay in starkville and take option 1. Kiffin has grown up. He's been to programs bigger than Florida. I dont think he walks away from option 1 for Florida. It would have to big a better spot

Your talking about a guy thats been a head man at USC, Tenn, the NFL, and an OC for Saban and bama. He's not going to be wooooooed over because its Flawda.

Bullldawg78

Aug 30, 2018
gifs proving he could be wooed....
arrested bikini GIF by Spring Breakers
Make It Rain Money GIF by yvngswag
Season 9 Yes GIF by Friends
Kamaru Usman Sport GIF by UFC
Adam Sandler Water GIF

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Oh Dear God--- Kiffin has to want Florida back... at this point... why would he?

Stay in oxford. Be a legend. Possibly break all the records, all that fun stuff.

OR

Id bet if you ask mullen.. hed stay in starkville and take option 1. Kiffin has grown up. He's been to programs bigger than Florida. I dont think he walks away from option 1 for Florida. It would have to big a better spot

Your talking about a guy thats been a head man at USC, Tenn, the NFL, and an OC for Saban and bama. He's not going to be wooooooed over because its Flawda.
You think Kiffin doesn't want to win a championship?

There are plenty of good reasons for a coach like Mullen or Kiffin or Frank Beamer to stay at a State, Ole Miss, or Va Tech. But there are a lot more Mullens and Kiffins than there are Beamers. And Mullen was at State when the gap between lower and upper SEC schools was probably at its smallest, after shrinking scholarship numbers, growing TV payouts, and practical limits on how much you could pay under the table let MSU and Ole Miss be competitive. Ole Miss is stretching to be competitive in the portal, but what they are doing probably isn't sustainable unless they win big this year and grow their market.

I think there's a good chance Kiffin will be at Ole Miss for a long time, just because it's going to take $60M+ to get him to leave and most teams that can pay that are also dealing with a buyout that's hard to stomach. If he doesn't get into the playoffs, is Florida going to want to commit over $100M between buyouts and new contracts to get him? Definitely possible but not a sure thing. They might decide they want a $5M a year head coach to leave money available for NIL.

Reactions: patdog

DWarren

Oct 17, 2023
A family friend named ...um... Knott... Knott Kricklin.
Uh oh Oxford high is losing their QB for next year! lol.

Honestly though, Cutcliff may be the one guy in Oxford that wouldn't mind that happening. The pressure to start Knox next year will be over the top. He probably wouldn't mind Lane taking the FL gig and Knox transferring to a HS in the Gainesville area instead.

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023

Mullen

Patty Mac

Andy Jackson
Kiffin should be asked about this every time he speaks to the press.

I mean We have to know.

Reactions: SchrodingersDawg

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023

There are plenty of good reasons for a coach like Mullen or Kiffin or Frank Beamer to stay at a State, Ole Miss, or Va Tech. But there are a lot more Mullens and Kiffins than there are Beamers. And Mullen was at State when the gap between lower and upper SEC schools was probably at its smallest, after shrinking scholarship numbers, growing TV payouts, and practical limits on how much you could pay under the table let MSU and Ole Miss be competitive. Ole Miss is stretching to be competitive in the portal, but what they are doing probably isn't sustainable unless they win big this year and grow their market.

I think there's a good chance Kiffin will be at Ole Miss for a long time, just because it's going to take $60M+ to get him to leave and most teams that can pay that are also dealing with a buyout that's hard to stomach. If he doesn't get into the playoffs, is Florida going to want to commit over $100M between buyouts and new contracts to get him? Definitely possible but not a sure thing. They might decide they want a $5M a year head coach to leave money available for NIL.
There are 8 SEC schools that are going to have a tough time with the new SEC reality. UF is one. They want to win. IMO Kiffin can win there more sustainably than he can in Oxford.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022

OR

80% or more of coaches choose option 2. You have a better chance to win due to talent plus you get a big buyout, worst case scenario.

Id bet if you ask mullen.. hed stay in starkville and take option 1.
But he didn't....which renders your point moot. But had he stayed, he would have continued what he was doing, and our fans would eventually get tired of it. But by going to Flarrda, he got a chance at the big time, failed, but got paid and now do TV commentating and live at the lake.

But again, the biggest part of this was the fit - he runs a power spread and didn't like to recruit.....that does not work at Flarrda, as we saw.

Kiffin has grown up. He's been to programs bigger than Florida. I dont think he walks away from option 1 for Florida. It would have to big a better spot

This is actually more evidence that he absolutely would leave. He's flirted with jobs every year. Auburn 2 years ago, Alabama last year, etc. Left Tennessee after one year. He's been at Ole Miss 5 years, well past his typical stay anywhere.

Kiffin is perfect for schools with the culture like Florida, Texas, USC. Ole Miss is a mini-one of those. He recruits, runs a fast flashy offense, fits with the people and the fratty attitude. He's going if they want him, and nobody would blame him (except you).

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018

I think he wants to win a championship. But he also already has one while at Alabama. And again right now the question is which program is winning one more likely... its hard to argue Florida at this point.

Urban Meyer had a great 5 year run. Minus that... 4 coaches have tried to get back to that level... 3 of those 4, have had 10 win seasons, and been highly ranked nationally, yet none made it more than 4 seasons. Its not the gravy train people think.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
80% or more of coaches choose option 2. You have a better chance to win due to talent plus you get a big buyout, worst case scenario.

But he didn't....which renders your point moot. But had he stayed, he would have continued what he was doing, and our fans would eventually get tired of it. But by going to Flarrda, he got a chance at the big time, failed, but got paid and now do TV commentating and live at the lake.

But again, the biggest part of this was the fit - he runs a power spread and didn't like to recruit.....that does not work at Flarrda, as we saw.

This is actually more evidence that he absolutely would leave. He's flirted with jobs every year. Auburn 2 years ago, Alabama last year, etc. Left Tennessee after one year. He's been at Ole Miss 5 years, well past his typical stay anywhere.

Kiffin is perfect for schools with the culture like Florida, Texas, USC. Ole Miss is a mini-one of those. He recruits, runs a fast flashy offense, fits with the people and the fratty attitude. He's going if they want him, and nobody would blame him (except you).
80% of the coaches.... LAUGHABLE

The difference in kiffin and mullen.. is kiffin had already been to the big time... Mullen hadnt. Mullen needed to go see if he could do it. Kiffin has been there, done that....

Mullen ran the same offense Urban meyer did-- god you are that stupid.

he flirted with alabama? geez you are delusional. He was never in the alabama conversation.

If florida wants him? He'll be #1 on Florida's list by a long shot. Its not a matter of if florida wants him, its IF he wants florida... and he'll turn em down. Again, no one in the sporting community even thinks its a real possibility at this point... and I agree. Again this seems like one of those.. if you are on one side of it... its clearly better to be on the other.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
There are 8 SEC schools that are going to have a tough time with the new SEC reality. UF is one.
Why? People keep talking about this but there's nothing at Flarrda that prevents them from winning except hiring bad coaches. Muschamp was just bad, McElwain and Mullen were average, Bubba was just bad. That's 4 in a row that just don't fit the job at all. It's almost astounding that it can happen that way. I guess Alabama did it too with Dubose, Fran, Price, Shula but when they finally connected, they hit a grand slam.

Dogdazey

Nov 16, 2012

OR

You ever been to Oxford and Gainesville? Kiffin loves the beach right? I'm almost positive the money he will be offered will more than compensate his moving his family, the schools, etc. I'm gonna say, if Florida wants him, they get him. The question is ... does Florida want him?

Reactions: patdog

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Why? People keep talking about this but there's nothing at Flarrda that prevents them from winning except hiring bad coaches. Muschamp was just bad, McElwain and Mullen were average, Bubba was just bad. That's 4 in a row that just don't fit the job at all. It's almost astounding that it can happen that way. I guess Alabama did it too with Dubose, Fran, Price, Shula but when they finally connected, they hit a grand slam.
OR...

Urban Meyer who is probably the top 2-3 football coach in recent history... gave florida a 5 year run... outside of that for last 30 years they've just been a middling program.

Guess its all these coaches just screwing it up.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Mullen ran the same offense Urban meyer did-- god you are that stupid.
A program is not just offense. Urban was a recruiter - he can win anywhere, regardless of it, he's a very dynamic personality and impressive presence. He's super intense, then falls off due to stress. High pressure cooker. And of course he ran the same offense, because Mullen was running it - with a different set of players. Mullen himself could never acquire the level of talent to win at Urban's level. I mean I get that this reasoning is a little beyond your depth of thought, but I'm trying to help you understand.

he flirted with alabama? geez you are delusional. He was never in the alabama conversation.
That's right.....HE flirted, not Alabama. HE wanted out. Which of course, makes your position look even worse.

Again this seems like one of those.. if you are on one side of it... its clearly better to be on the other.
Thanks for throwing in the towel, so I don't have to continue to destroy you.

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
If he loses to South Carolina this weekend, Kiffin may be stuck in Oxford for a while.
He could go 8-4 this year and still be a top candidate for a top job.

In that scenario, he would have averaged a 9-3 record with two 10-win seasons over four seasons. Not only would Florida sign up for that right now, but they believe he would do even better there.

Faustdog

Jun 4, 2007
I think he wants to win a championship. But he also already has one while at Alabama. And again right now the question is which program is winning one more likely... its hard to argue Florida at this point.

Urban Meyer had a great 5 year run. Minus that... 4 coaches have tried to get back to that level... 3 of those 4, have had 10 win seasons, and been highly ranked nationally, yet none made it more than 4 seasons. Its not the gravy train people think.
It's not really hard to argue that winning big is easier at UF. They have three national championships to zero since desegregation, all of Florida's being within the last 30 years. Ole Miss has had solid teams, but they've gotten their doors blown off any time they've played the elite teams especially under Kiffin.

I don't think it's possible to consistently get the high end high school talent required to be elite at Ole Miss, and I think Kiffin knows this.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
You ever been to Oxford and Gainesville? Kiffin loves the beach right? I'm almost positive the money he will be offered will more than compensate his moving his family, the schools, etc. I'm gonna say, if Florida wants him, they get him. The question is ... does Florida want him?
Florida will want him. Whose a better option?

Florida isnt what it was... and its like Urban Meyer said.. he was always in spurriers shadow.

Kiffin enjoys being the man. He can be that in oxford. He'll never be that in gainesville.

Again the question is will Kiffin want Florida.... he didnt want Auburn.... I think he turns down Florida as well

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
It's not really hard to argue that winning big is easier at UF. They have three national championships to zero since desegregation, all of Florida's being within the last 30 years. Ole Miss has had solid teams, but they've gotten their doors blown off any time they've played the elite teams especially under Kiffin.

I don't think it's possible to consistently get the high end high school talent required to be elite at Ole Miss, and I think Kiffin knows this.
If the past is an indication of the future.

Ole Miss has made a large committment to their football program. Florida has made quiet a few mistakes. They are much more on a level playing field than they once were.

Hard to compare 30 years ago to today. Or even 15 years ago.. due to NIL and portal.

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
This is based on the preseason assumption that Ole Miss will make the 2024 CFP.

If they can't make the 12-team CFP in Year 5 with a $14 million roster and that 8-game SEC schedule, that narrative will suffer a major blow.

HumpDawgy

Apr 6, 2010
With this NIL stupid world we are living in, Kiffin would be at the top of my list to hire seeing how he has worked that system better than just about everybody. If they change up or start regulating it down the road, he will become irrelevant, but until then, he should be at the top of every AD's list.

Reactions: HuntDawg

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
A program is not just offense. Urban was a recruiter - he can win anywhere, regardless of it, he's a very dynamic personality and impressive presence. He's super intense, then falls off due to stress. High pressure cooker. And of course he ran the same offense, because Mullen was running it - with a different set of players. Mullen himself could never acquire the level of talent to win at Urban's level. I mean I get that this reasoning is a little beyond your depth of thought, but I'm trying to help you understand.

That's right.....HE flirted, not Alabama. HE wanted out. Which of course, makes your position look even worse.

Thanks for throwing in the towel, so I don't have to continue to destroy you.
Again... glad to be on the opposite side of any arguement you are on. Once it gets past Jr High your knowledge or opinion of any sport isnt relevant.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018

If they can't make the 12-team CFP in Year 5 with a $14 million roster and that 8-game SEC schedule, that narrative will suffer a major blow.
Its more based on the knowledge of what Florida hasnt been able to do.... and the fact that kiffin walks on water in oxford. Whose to say they wont build another 15 million dollar roster for him next season?

Lucifer Morningstar

Aug 30, 2022
Just a quick question not wading into the will he won't he game with Joey Freshwater. We do all want him to go to Florida though right? Or really anywhere for that matter?

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
Its more based on the knowledge of what Florida hasnt been able to do.... and the fact that kiffin walks on water in oxford. Whose to say they wont build another 15 million dollar roster for him next season?
This is a very important year for Ole Miss's NIL efforts. They have (smartly) been targeting their peak roster to coincide with the 12-team CFP. I've heard Ole Miss people call this the proof of concept season. If you make the CFP, the fans will keep funding NIL. If you don't, the fans will question if it's worth the investment.

Ole Miss is in a unique situation. Although several programs have spent a lot on NIL, none of them have put all their chips on one season like Ole Miss has.

I'm not convinced the Ole Miss fan base will give $15 million* each year without CFPs to show for it.

*-The amount necessary for a top-15 roster will probably increase each year.

DWarren

Oct 17, 2023

He may very well go to FL after this year. Who could blame him. But it won't be because he can't make the playoff at OM. He's already produced two playoff seasons in 2021 and 2023. We just called it NY6 bowls at that time rather than a 12 team playoff but the criteria is no different. Even before Kiffin. Cutcliff, Nutt and Freeze all had OM teams that would have either made the 12 team playoff or contended for it. That part is not in question. Its not in question here either, we would have made it in 2014. We just havent been in that spot as often as they have.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
This is a very important year for Ole Miss's NIL efforts. They have (smartly) been targeting their peak roster to coincide with the 12-team CFP. I've heard Ole Miss people call this the proof of concept season. If you make the CFP, the fans will keep funding NIL. If you don't, the fans will question if it's worth the investment.

Ole Miss is in a unique situation. Although several programs have spent a lot on NIL, none of them have put all their chips on one season like Ole Miss has.
I dont think if ole miss gets this close to the goal (barring a total collapse) and they suddenly blow it up and start over.

What kiffin has done in oxford is impressive... and those people love it and love running mississippi. They arent walking away or backing down if they barely miss the playoffs.

Now if they go 8-4 and lose to us... sure... but 10-2. They'll keep right on trucking regardless of if they barely get in or barely miss out. They arent letting kiffin walk anywhere due to NIL dollars if hes putting out 10 wins seasons, top 10 rankings, and winning egg bowls....., theyve already proven that support wise.

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
He may very well go to FL after this year. Who could blame him. But it won't be because he can't make the playoff at OM. He's already produced two playoff seasons in 2021 and 2023. We just called it NY6 bowls at that time rather than a 12 team playoff but the criteria is no different. Even before Kiffin. Cutcliff, Nutt and Freeze all had OM teams that would have either made the 12 team playoff or contended for it. That part is not in question. Its not in question here either, we would have made it in 2014. We just havent been in that spot as often as they have.
I don't think it's as simple as saying they would have made the CFP in previous seasons under a different set of rules. Who's to say the results of 2021 and 2023 wouldn't have played out differently had there been a 12-team CFP? The fact is there was a CFP in 2021 and 2023 and they didn't make it. There is a CFP in 2024. We'll see if they make it.

To be clear, I'm not saying they can't make the CFP this year or another year. I'm saying they haven't yet, and until they do, you can't assume the same amount of commitment from their fanbase, especially when so much emphasis was placed on one year (2024).

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login