Kiffin rumors are swirling re: Florida job...

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
I don't think it's as simple as saying they would have made the CFP in previous seasons under a different set of rules. Who's to say the results of 2021 and 2023 wouldn't have played out differently had there been a 12-team CFP? The fact is there was a CFP in 2021 and 2023 and they didn't make it. There is a CFP in 2024. We'll see if they make it.

To be clear, I'm not saying they can't make the CFP this year or another year. I'm saying they haven't yet, and until they do, you can't assume the same amount of commitment from their fanbase, especially when so much emphasis was placed on one year (2024).
yeah i mean i get what your saying.

My thoughts are more along the lines of:
They made a big committment. Like a lot of teams have. As long as they are close, they'll simply re-adjust and continue on. Rather than saying awww this sucks let me take my money somewhere else.

My impression is that the city of oxford, ole miss, and their fans are truly enjoying this... and i dont see them taking their ball and going home... unless there is just a massive collapse to the end of the season.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
If he loses to South Carolina this weekend, Kiffin may be stuck in Oxford for a while.
This is my thought. There will be a tipping point where he becomes undesirable. Because with a guy like kiffin, he comes with baggage and you have to decide whether the cost of the baggage is worth the potential.

Reactions: patdog

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
Why? People keep talking about this but there's nothing at Flarrda that prevents them from winning except hiring bad coaches. Muschamp was just bad, McElwain and Mullen were average, Bubba was just bad. That's 4 in a row that just don't fit the job at all. It's almost astounding that it can happen that way. I guess Alabama did it too with Dubose, Fran, Price, Shula but when they finally connected, they hit a grand slam.
I agree that Florida is still a good job in terms of being able to field a talented team.

Team Talent Composite rank (according to 247) in the NIL era:
seasonFloridaMississippi

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
No, because they haven't been getting the right fits. Mullen and Bubba Napier were not the right candidates for that job.

Kiffin is so much like Spurrier it's insane. He's the perfect fit for them.
Kiffin may have success at Florida, but I see him nothing like Spurrier. Spurrier was far more innovative - he forever changed how football was played in the SEC. He was cocky and brash, but he backed it up, whereas Kiffin hasn't won sh*t. He had the gravitas because he won the Heisman, while Kiffin was a nepo baby. And he's not as socially awkward as Lane.

Reactions: Howiefeltersnstch

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
Let's also not rule out that Florida could get to six wins:
  • win three of these games at home: UCF, Kentucky, LSU, Ole Miss
  • beat FSU in Tallahassee
Can Napier survive by beating FSU and making a bowl with the hardest schedule in the country?

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Let's also not rule out that Florida could get to six wins:
  • win three of these games at home: UCF, Kentucky, LSU, Ole Miss
  • beat FSU in Tallahassee
Can Napier survive by beating FSU and making a bowl with the hardest schedule in the country?
For arguements sake:

Take kiffin out of the equation.... who else is on Florida's list to replace Napier.

DWarren

Oct 17, 2023
I don't think it's as simple as saying they would have made the CFP in previous seasons under a different set of rules. Who's to say the results of 2021 and 2023 wouldn't have played out differently had there been a 12-team CFP? The fact is there was a CFP in 2021 and 2023 and they didn't make it. There is a CFP in 2024. We'll see if they make it.

To be clear, I'm not saying they can't make the CFP this year or another year. I'm saying they haven't yet, and until they do, you can't assume the same amount of commitment from their fanbase, especially when so much emphasis was placed on one year (2024).
Thats true. My point was that the criteria to be selected as one of the 12 playoff teams is the exact same as the criteria used to be selected as one of the 12 teams to play in a NY6 bowl, per the committee. But to your point, it does add pressure now that its a playoff spot and who knows if that effects the team differently in 2021 or 2023.

As for their fanbase's commitment after this season, I honestly have no idea. On one hand I could see it dropping off some if this season ends up being a disaster. On the other hand I feel like we've got decades of proof that says if OM is given the option to pay for talent, they will do so. So I can't see that falling off too much. I will say it was extremely stupid of their people to market this season as the end all be all. Would have been much better marketing it as another big season where they are going to do their best to win big but regardless its just one more year of building the program.

Reactions: HuntDawg

Beretta.sixpack

Oct 29, 2009
Uh oh Oxford high is losing their QB for next year! lol.

Honestly though, Cutcliff may be the one guy in Oxford that wouldn't mind that happening. The pressure to start Knox next year will be over the top. He probably wouldn't mind Lane taking the FL gig and Knox transferring to a HS in the Gainesville area instead.
This is the rumor. Knox is transferring from California to Oxford HS next year. Kiffin's daughter is currently at sophomore at OM.

Not sure how much longer Chris Cutcliff will be at OHS though, he tried to get a job at private school in Memphis last year and was passed over....My thinking is that Cutcliff knows the cupboard is dry of talent the next 4-5 years at OHS. Don't know why Knox would want to come play there other than being close to dad.

My nephew has been at the Manning passing academy with him the last couple of years, and said he isn't that great and for sure acts like his poop doesnt stink.

Curby

Aug 23, 2012
There's no state taxes coming out of your check in the state of FLorida.

That may or may not matter to Kiffin, considering ole ms is drastically overpaying him

DWarren

Oct 17, 2023
This is the rumor. Knox is transferring from California to Oxford HS next year. Kiffin's daughter is currently at sophomore at OM.

Not sure how much longer Chris Cutcliff will be at OHS though, he tried to get a job at private school in Memphis last year and was passed over....My thinking is that Cutcliff knows the cupboard is dry of talent the next 4-5 years at OHS. Don't know why Knox would want to come play there other than being close to dad.

My nephew has been at the Manning passing academy with him the last couple of years, and said he isn't that great and for sure acts like his poop doesnt stink.
Yeah I think its pretty much a done deal as long as Lane stays in Oxford. That mega house he's building in Oxford is almost done. The rest of the family, his mom and brother, are in Oxford already. Knox is already on a 7 on 7 team based out of Oxford. Now is he worth a damn? I have no clue.

Willow Grove Dawg

Nov 3, 2016
This is my thought. There will be a tipping point where he becomes undesirable. Because with a guy like kiffin, he comes with baggage and you have to decide whether the cost of the baggage is worth the potential.
He is already undesirable enough that he is unacceptable to several of the schools that have jobs that would be considered an upgrade to him.

AlCoDog

Feb 27, 2008

Same kid that shoots the fire extinguisher? I thought he was like 9 years old?

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
I will say it was extremely stupid of their people to market this season as the end all be all. Would have been much better marketing it as another big season where they are going to do their best to win big but regardless its just one more year of building the program.
"Last Dance" was a really bad marketing decision on two fronts:
  1. Puts the emphasis on one season that could end up being 9-3 or worse.
  2. Plays into the coaching carousel rumors you are trying to keep quiet.

Reactions: Msdeltareb

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
Current depth chart with who all they loose after this year.
They will have to use the portal to reload in 2025. The portal is expensive. And with them losing so much, they might have to spend $20 million just to have a roster comparable to 2024.

patdog

May 28, 2007
For arguements sake:

Take kiffin out of the equation.... who else is on Florida's list to replace Napier.
I don't think anyone knows. Heck, even Kiffin's name is just speculation. But other names I've seen mentioned include Lance Leipold, Eli Drinkwitz & James Franklin. Maybe they look at the SMU coach. Bottom line though is the difference in the Mississippi job and the Florida job is you can win multiple national titles at one school and you can't win one at the other.

Msdeltareb

Aug 26, 2014
Why? People keep talking about this but there's nothing at Flarrda that prevents them from winning except hiring bad coaches. Muschamp was just bad, McElwain and Mullen were average, Bubba was just bad. That's 4 in a row that just don't fit the job at all. It's almost astounding that it can happen that way. I guess Alabama did it too with Dubose, Fran, Price, Shula but when they finally connected, they hit a grand slam.
Another way to look at it - the only people to have ever won big there are Steve Spurrier and Urban Meyer.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
It's not really hard to argue that winning big is easier at UF. They have three national championships to zero since desegregation, all of Florida's being within the last 30 years. Ole Miss has had solid teams, but they've gotten their doors blown off any time they've played the elite teams especially under Kiffin.

I don't think it's possible to consistently get the high end high school talent required to be elite at Ole Miss, and I think Kiffin knows this.
I improved your post by deleting text that is unnecessary and arguably implies that UM has legitimate national championships in football prior to desegregation. Your welcome.

Msdeltareb

Aug 26, 2014
You ever been to Oxford and Gainesville? Kiffin loves the beach right? I'm almost positive the money he will be offered will more than compensate his moving his family, the schools, etc. I'm gonna say, if Florida wants him, they get him. The question is ... does Florida want him?
Have you ever been to Gainesville? There isnt a beach there. If Kiffin lived in Gainesville he would go to the beach in Miami, same as he does now; only his plane would be in the air an hour and a half longer.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
He may very well go to FL after this year. Who could blame him. But it won't be because he can't make the playoff at OM. He's already produced two playoff seasons in 2021 and 2023. We just called it NY6 bowls at that time rather than a 12 team playoff but the criteria is no different. Even before Kiffin. Cutcliff, Nutt and Freeze all had OM teams that would have either made the 12 team playoff or contended for it. That part is not in question. Its not in question here either, we would have made it in 2014. We just havent been in that spot as often as they have.
It's not going to be about making the playoffs, it's going to be about winning a championship. Things may change because of NIL and the 12 team playoff, but the gap between being in the top 12 versus a championship team has been pretty large. I doubt there's been a team outside of the top 5 in the BCS of CFP era that could have legitimately competed for a championship if it required beating two of the top four teams.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Have you ever been to Gainesville? There isnt a beach there. If Kiffin lived in Gainesville he would go to the beach in Miami, same as he does now; only his plane would be in the air an hour and a half longer.
If offered, Kiffin will crawl on broken glass to Gainesville. He'd be at Auburn right now if that whole thing hadn't gotten leaked ahead of time.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
I don't think anyone knows. Heck, even Kiffin's name is just speculation. But other names I've seen mentioned include Lance Leipold, Eli Drinkwitz & James Franklin. Maybe they look at the SMU coach. Bottom line though is the difference in the Mississippi job and the Florida job is you can win multiple national titles at one school and you can't win one at the other.
you could or did... not sure that can be said now. Florida hasnt shown to be able relevant at all in the NIL/Portal era. OM has shown to be way ahead of florida in this era... which is all that really matters.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Another way to look at it - the only people to have ever won big there are Steve Spurrier and Urban Meyer.
Who has won big at Ole Miss during that same time? And I'm not picking on Ole Miss......the answer is the same at MSU and 80% of programs out there - NOBODY. And even Spurrier and Meyer didn't win big the entire time they were there. There aren't many Sabans out there, most championship coaches have a run, then fall off. And some just have one lucky year.

The first question I would ask as a coach - can ANYONE win big at such and such job. Sometimes you have proof, sometimes it's speculation, based on the potential you see in a program. But in Florida's case, I think it's pretty obvious it is one of those blue blood jobs. But even still, not every coach wins the same at every job. Take Saban for example....he seemed more of a better fit at Alabama than he did LSU, and won at a higher percentage there, even though they both are blue bloods. Of course he was older too.

Msdeltareb

Aug 26, 2014
If offered, Kiffin will crawl on broken glass to Gainesville. He'd be at Auburn right now if that whole thing hadn't gotten leaked ahead of time.
I think some of you have contracted an illness similar to Trump Derangement Syndrome. Yall really need basketball to go well this season.

patdog

May 28, 2007
you could or did... not sure that can be said now. Florida hasnt shown to be able relevant at all in the NIL/Portal era. OM has shown to be way ahead of florida in this era... which is all that really matters.
I'm not an Internet bet with strangers guy, but if I knew you'd pay up, I'd be tempted. Do you seriously think Mississippi will win a national championship before Florida wins their next one?

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
I think some of you have contracted an illness similar to Trump Derangement Syndrome. Yall really need basketball to go well this season.
you should change your handle to msdelusionalreb. I understand the odds are very high that it's already taken though.

Howiefeltersnstch

Dec 28, 2019
I'm not too sure I have seen much speculation about Kiffin going to Florida other than on this board. He might go to FSU cause I feel sure that job will be open too. Tallahassee and Gainesville are both a little ways from a decent beach tho.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
I'm not an Internet bet with strangers guy, but if I knew you'd pay up, I'd be tempted. Do you seriously think Mississippi will win a national championship before Florida wins their next one?
I think one has just as good of a chance as the other at this point.

Step 1 is getting to the playoffs. In the next 5 seasons, I think Ole Miss has double the chance of Florida if not more of making it there... as long as kiffin remains the coach

Despite was one idiot member of this board thinks. There have been 4 quality coaches all try their hand at Florida in the last 15-20 years since Meyer. None have been able to get it to the mountain top. Seems like the only way Florida wins is to basically get the best coach in the country to come build it and win (Spurrier at his time, Meyer 1 or 2 during his run).... and you coulda put Spurrier or Meyer in a lot of places and got the same results...

So IMO its going to take that kind of turn around to get Florida back to the mountain top... and theyve found.. there arent very many spurriers, or meyers, or sabans running around that can do that..... which is probably right in line with what it would take to win one at Ole Miss as well.

Last edited:

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I think he wants to win a championship. But he also already has one while at Alabama.

This is weird. Even the most delusional Ole Miss fans I know aren't trying to convince themselves that being an OC for a national championship team would mean a coach wouldn't want to win one himself when he becomes head coach.

And again right now the question is which program is winning one more likely... its hard to argue Florida at this point.
And again, even the delusional fans aren't trying to convince themselves that it's somehow easier to win at Ole Miss.

Urban Meyer had a great 5 year run. Minus that... 4 coaches have tried to get back to that level... 3 of those 4, have had 10 win seasons, and been highly ranked nationally, yet none made it more than 4 seasons. Its not the gravy train people think.
You want to look at UM coaches? Orgeron won a national championship at LSU, his high point was 4 wins at Ole Miss. Made it 3 seasons. Nutt started off great. Lasted four seasons and ended up suing Ole Miss and Huge Freeze for libeling him. Hugh Freeze? Made it 5 seasons but even after cheating enough to get them hammered by an investigation and a slap on the wrist in penalties, went 5-7. Luke made it three seasons.

Not lasting long is just hte nature of college football right now. The expectations ramp up as the ease of winning goes up. Certainly the expectations should make coaches hesitate before leaving for those jobs, but historically it hasn't.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
This is weird. Even the most delusional Ole Miss fans I know aren't trying to convince themselves that being an OC for a national championship team would mean a coach wouldn't want to win one himself when he becomes head coach.

And again, even the delusional fans aren't trying to convince themselves that it's somehow easier to win at Ole Miss.

You want to look at UM coaches? Orgeron won a national championship at LSU, his high point was 4 wins at Ole Miss. Made it 3 seasons. Nutt started off great. Lasted four seasons and ended up suing Ole Miss and Huge Freeze for libeling him. Hugh Freeze? Made it 5 seasons but even after cheating enough to get them hammered by an investigation and a slap on the wrist in penalties, went 5-7. Luke made it three seasons.

Not lasting long is just hte nature of college football right now. The expectations ramp up as the ease of winning goes up. Certainly the expectations should make coaches hesitate before leaving for those jobs, but historically it hasn't.
OK. I agreed he wanted to win one? But he's also won one.

Agree to disagree. If you think Florida is some great program right now then so be it. I dont and i dont think the history matters anymore. Game and playing field has changed.

Good coaches do last long. Bad/average ones dont. Kiffin has made himself into a good coach. He's learned lessons. He's now at a place he seems happy, he's at a place he can build and leave his own legacy. Not saying he wont ever walk away from it... but i dont think he walks away from it for Florida. Again he's not someone that is looking to prove he can win. He has won. He's not someone that is looking to get into those big programs.. .he's been there before. Walking on water at Ole Miss... is something i dont think he'll give up for Florida.

BIGDAWG44

Aug 22, 2012
They will have to use the portal to reload in 2025. The portal is expensive. And with them losing so much, they might have to spend $20 million just to have a roster comparable to 2024.
That with kiffin leaving they could get into a situation like we are currently in.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
yep. If they lose to Carolina, they’ll lose at least 2 more. And Kiffin won’t be such a hot commodity as he was last week.
No one outside of Bear Nation really believes Ole Miss can be a contender and most UF fans will say he did a hell of a job at Ole Miss and think what he could do here. That's just another way they could view it.

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
There are 8 SEC schools that are going to have a tough time with the new SEC reality. UF is one. They want to win. IMO Kiffin can win there more sustainably than he can in Oxford.
No they wont. Florida has the money the population/market viewers and is a talent rich state Its not comparable to Mississippi

Reactions: patdog

Howiefeltersnstch

Dec 28, 2019
My thoughts would be he would only leave if somebody throws an unbelievable amount of money in his direction. He is knocking down a big check now. It would have to be something like 10 years 120 million. OM is paying very well Oxford loves him and the poon is plentiful and topnotch.

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
UF is in the group with Alabama, LSU, UGA, Texas, Oklahoma, Tenn, Auburn and A&M that will fire a coach for losing 3-4 games a year.
With a 9 game SEC schedule, that doesn't math.

All above schools think like you do " If we had a good coach we can will a natty, we lost 3-4 games, so the coach sucks. Fire him and get a better one"

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
No they wont. Florida has the money the population/market viewers and is a talent rich state Its not comparable to Mississippi
Exactly. The buyout wont matter. They think they can win it all with the right coach. Kiffin is on the short list for that.

Can they in the new 16 team SEC?

Someone has to lose the games too.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login