Leach might actually have some motivation for this rivalry game.....

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
His teams have historically underperformed in rivalry games almost certainly because his detached style does not help his team match the other team emotionally. However in this one he might literally be coaching for his job. That might mean nothing to him as well but it is a close to a motivator as I think we will get with him.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
His teams have historically underperformed in rivalry games almost certainly because his detached style does not help his team match the other team emotionally. However in this one he might literally be coaching for his job. That might mean nothing to him as well but it is a close to a motivator as I think we will get with him.
Coaching for his job? Satire? We can have legitimate discussions about how not overemphasizing certain games may have negative effects as well as positive, but come on man.

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
We should tell him that, if we win the egg bowl, we get to play Texas Tech in the Captain and Coke Bowl sponsored by Captain Morgan at Rex Weech Stadium in Key West.

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
He’s not coaching for his job but I think HD6 is right about the impact on buy-in for the next year. A win in Oxford would solidify a step forward this year for his program and winning out would cap off a pretty nice season despite the big letdowns in Lex and Red Stick.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
If we ever fire a football coach who is consistently keeping us in or near the Top 25 with occasional runs at the expanded playoffs in the future, me and my meager support are out.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
We should tell him that, if we win the egg bowl, we get to play Texas Tech in the Captain and Coke Bowl sponsored by Captain Morgan at Rex Weech Stadium in Key West.
He didn’t seem to give a schitt about playing Texas Tech last year. He might be all in on the rest though.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
No way he's coaching for his job but wouldn't surprise me if he hung it up after this season. Not based on anything other than he sounds like crap and loves him some Key West. Might be time to relax full time and get healthy.

Reactions: BigDawg0074

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022
Huh? We still have a chance to win 9 games this year. I'm not saying we will but it's on the table along with winning 7 last year. The COVID year should be thrown out for so many reasons. So, in two regular seasons he has a 7 win team and a 7-9 win team....Coaching for his job comment is beyond ludicrous.

patdog

May 28, 2007
If we ever fire a football coach who is consistently keeping us in or near the Top 25 with occasional runs at the expanded playoffs in the future, me and my meager support are out.
When have we ever done that? Leach isn't getting fired this year, but even if he was, we still wouldn't be doing that.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
When have we ever done that? Leach isn't getting fired this year, but even if he was, we still wouldn't be doing that.

We've never done it and I don't expect us to.

But we've got many fans here who seem to think it's a possibility and/or should happen.

Just stating my stance on it as clearly as possible.

patdog

May 28, 2007
We've never done it and I don't expect us to.

But we've got many fans here who seem to think it's a possibility and/or should happen.

Just stating my stance on it as clearly as possible.
Just pointing out that even if we do fire Leach this year, we wouldn't be firing a coach who had us near the top 25 or contending for anything more than a lower tier bowl. We had 0 votes in the AP poll last year. We currently have 3 votes, but if we lose and fire him I'm sure it will be 0 again.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Just pointing out that even if we do fire Leach this year, we wouldn't be firing a coach who had us near the top 25 or contending for anything more than a lower tier bowl. We had 0 votes in the AP poll last year. We currently have 3 votes, but if we lose and fire him I'm sure it will be 0 again.

I pay almost zero attention to the AP poll. I know it still matters to a lot of people, but at this point in the season I'm much more interested in the various data driven polls out there. They sure as hell knew what was up at Ole Miss way before the AP voters did.

Ole Miss is 20th in the AP Poll and favored by 3 in Oxford, a tossup given the home advantage. Do you think the bookmakers looked at the AP voting to set that line??

UCLA is 8-3 and lost at home to Arizona (remember them) last week. They're still #17 in the AP poll.

I digress, but we're a Top 25 caliber team right now...

#23 in Sagarin
#22 in Massey
#24 Anderson Hester

ChinaDogSunflower

Aug 26, 2012
The heat gets turned up a lot with another Egg Bowl goose egg. Next year he would likely be coaching for his job. Even Mullen couldn't beat a down OM 4x in a row

CoachT1991

Jan 3, 2020
Coaching for his job? Satire? We can have legitimate discussions about how not overemphasizing certain games may have negative effects as well as positive, but come on man.
Lose the Egg Bowl… then the bowl game only to do the same thing next year….

Fan apathy is already low. Just wait till that scenario plays out.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
It's not as farfetched as most of you seem to think. Beating Ole Miss is the #1 job for any Mississippi State football coach. Losing to them 3 years in a row, especially given the record over the last 30 years, might not be survivable. I looked it up a week or so ago, only one MSU coach, Wade Walker, has ever survived it. He was fired two years later.

patdog

May 28, 2007
It's not as farfetched as most of you seem to think. Beating Ole Miss is the #1 job for any Mississippi State football coach. Losing to them 3 years in a row, especially given the record over the last 30 years, might not be survivable. I looked it up a week or so ago, only one MSU coach, Wade Walker, has ever survived it. He was fired two years later.
How many coaches that lost 3 Egg Bowls in a row had winning seasons in 2 of those years? Leach ain't getting fired. Now, if he loses 4 in a row, he better have more than 7 wins.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
How many coaches that lost 3 Egg Bowls in a row had winning seasons in 2 of those years? Leach ain't getting fired. Now, if he loses 4 in a row, he better have more than 7 wins.
None. That doesn't change a thing. Beating them is job #1. If you can't beat them as much as they beat you, you have a problem that will affect every facet of the program. Just look at where we are now. I never thought I'd see MSU people not be at least satisfied with 7-4 record, but that is exactly where we are. There is one reason and one reason only for that. Win Thursday and that almost all goes away. That's just the way it is.

Reactions: msdawg90

patdog

May 28, 2007
None. That doesn't change a thing. Beating them is job #1. If you can't beat them as much as they beat you, you have a problem that will affect every facet of the program. Just look at where we are now. I never thought I'd see MSU people not be at least satisfied with 7-4 record, but that is exactly where we are. There is one reason and one reason only for that. Win Thursday and that almost all goes away. That's just the way it is.
Job one is winning games. Period. Dan Mullen lost 3 of 4 to them, including the last 2 in a row. And we gave him a raise and extension. Coaches who have lost 3 in a row have been fired for sucking, not just for losing the Egg Bowl. Of course winning that game is important. But Leach ain't getting fired if loses. Now if he loses 4 in a row, like I said, he'd better have more than 7 wins.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Mullen had done a lot more than Leach has. His overall record against them was decent too. Leach has yet to beat them.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Mullen had done a lot more than Leach has. His overall record against them was decent too. Leach has yet to beat them.
True. Let's hope this is a moot question by 11:00 Thursday night.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
I don't think he is coaching for his job but if we are in the same predicament next year entering the Egg Bowl at 7-4 and he is 0-3 in Egg Bowls - I think he would be.
He loses this year he will be on hot seat. Keenum hates ole miss.
I'm not arguing to fire leach.
I do want to see us take that next step. I'm disappointed we didn't do that against UK. And I'm concerned on us coming out dead again on the road and losing that one.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
We haven't taken that step yet. Losing to OM 3 years in a row wouldn't be doing what you say. That would be staying middle of the road and out of top 25. Nothing we have done in 3 years to now has shown we can make an expanded playoff. Can't beat mediocre Kentucky team that lost two bad games on their home field. We need to beat UM. If doesn't, he will lose a lot of support and will be on hot seat next year.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Most of the toss up type games are on the road. Hopefully we will be a 7-4. That's not a given.
Exactly when the schedule flips our usual toss up games go on road. The games we usually lose are at home. We usually makes for a harder schedule for us.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
I thought this was gonna say the egg bowl winning coach got to go straight To key west after the game.

He is bad in rivalry games bc his rival almost always has a better team.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I thought this was gonna say the egg bowl winning coach got to go straight To key west after the game.

He is bad in rivalry games bc his rival almost always has a better team.
Not sure where this narrative comes from. But from 2013-2019, Washington won 40 PAC -12 games. Washington St. won 37. Take away Washington's 7-0 record vs WSU and WSU actually won 4 MORE games vs the rest of the PAC-12 than Washington did.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Not sure where this narrative comes from. But from 2013-2019, Washington won 40 PAC -12 games. Washington St. won 37. Take away Washington's 7-0 record vs WSU and WSU actually won 4 MORE games vs the rest of the PAC-12 than Washington did.
Exactly, those programs were in about the same shape when Leach was there.

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
confused meme.jpg

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Because the PAC 12 wasn’t good. Thats why Leachs system had success there. But during Leachs time at Wazzu, Washington won the division 3 times and went to the playoff. They were a superior program once Petersen got there. Probably why his lone Apple Cup win came pre-Petersen.

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

patdog

May 28, 2007
Because the PAC 12 wasn’t good. Thats why Leachs system had success there. But during Leachs time at Wazzu, Washington won the division 3 times and went to the playoff. They were a superior program once Petersen got there. Probably why his lone Apple Cup win came pre-Petersen.
Washington’s 3 division titles, they tied WSU and finished 1 game ahead of WSU twice. Turn those Apple Cups around & that’s 3 division titles for WSU and none for UW.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Washington’s 3 division titles, they tied WSU and finished 1 game ahead of WSU twice. Turn those Apple Cups around & that’s 3 division titles for WSU and none for UW.
But you cant turn them around. Washington won because they were better. Thats the entire point. No one on earth would argue Wazzu was better than Washington the bulk of Leachs tenure. Leachs best team put up 15 on them.

patdog

May 28, 2007
But you cant turn them around. Washington won because they were better. Thats the entire point. No one on earth would argue Wazzu was better than Washington the bulk of Leachs tenure. Leachs best team put up 15 on them.
No. If Washington was better, they would have outperformed WSU against the rest on the PAC-12. But they didn’t. The difference in all of those seasons was one coach was better at the rivalry game than the other one. Outside the Apple Cup, they were equal.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
No. If Washington was better, they would have outperformed WSU against the rest on the PAC-12. But they didn’t. The difference in all of those seasons was one coach was better at the rivalry game than the other one. Outside the Apple Cup, they were
No. If Washington was better, they would have outperformed WSU against the rest on the PAC-12. But they didn’t. The difference in all of those seasons was one coach was better at the rivalry game than the other one. Outside the Apple Cup, they were equal.
“Other than the fact Washington beat them 7 of 8 years, they were equal “ is a phenomenal
Argument.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
It is if the argument is that one coach sucks in rivalry games.
Whatever. “Not good in rivalry games” just makes no sense. It’s a made up factor. Leach never scored more than 17. 17!!! In the Apple Cup after year 1. That’s being dominated by a better team.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
Interestingly, the last two coaches who dropped 3 in a row to Ole Miss (Felker and Bellard) were fired at the end of the year. No coach has lost 3 in a row to Ole Miss since.

(Before that it would have been the leaner years of MSU football - Shira and Walker, who both had to weather the Vaught years). But neither were fired after their 3rd straight loss to Ole Miss.

Reactions: patdog
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login