Leach might actually have some motivation for this rivalry game.....

patdog

May 28, 2007
Whatever. “Not good in rivalry games” just makes no sense. It’s a made up factor. Leach never scored more than 17. 17!!! In the Apple Cup after year 1. That’s being dominated by a better team.
Ok I give up. You’re right. The coach who has lost 10 rivalry games in a row against teams that are mostly equal to his for 11 weeks per season actually is a good rivalry game coach. I’m still a little fuzzy on how that’s possible, but I believe you.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
None. That doesn't change a thing. Beating them is job #1. If you can't beat them as much as they beat you, you have a problem that will affect every facet of the program. Just look at where we are now. I never thought I'd see MSU people not be at least satisfied with 7-4 record, but that is exactly where we are. There is one reason and one reason only for that. Win Thursday and that almost all goes away. That's just the way it is.
You sound like a MSU fan walking out of the Vet in like 1983. Unfortunately, I do think you’re correct, because a majority of our fans think like you. You’re wrong, but you’re still the majority. Kind of like US politics.

Such is life in this fanbase. Maybe one day we will move past this.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Whatever. “Not good in rivalry games” just makes no sense. It’s a made up factor. Leach never scored more than 17. 17!!! In the Apple Cup after year 1. That’s being dominated by a better team.
It's his job to make sure they aren't the better team.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Ok I give up. You’re right. The coach who has lost 10 rivalry games in a row against teams that are mostly equal to his for 11 weeks per season actually is a good rivalry game coach. I’m still a little fuzzy on how that’s possible, but I believe you.
I’m really fuzzy on what “bad at rivalry games” means at all. Does the rivalry freak him out and he can’t think? Does he get too excited and not prep his team? It’s just a made up arbitrary idea that has zero basis.

It makes more sense that he just normally doesn’t have as good of a team as his rival. That’s an actual thing

Reactions: BigDawg0074

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
You sound like a MSU fan walking out of the Vet in like 1983. Unfortunately, I do think you’re correct, because a majority of our fans think like you. You’re wrong, but you’re still the majority. Kind of like US politics.

Such is life in this fanbase. Maybe one day we will move past this.
You will NEVER move past it. You can't. If we aren't beating them at least as much as they are beating us then we are never going to get where we all want to go. That is the minimum foundation you have to have.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
I’m really fuzzy on what “bad at rivalry games” means at all. Does the rivalry freak him out and he can’t think? Does he get too excited and not prep his team? It’s just a made up arbitrary idea that has zero basis.

It makes more sense that he just normally doesn’t have as good of a team as his rival. That’s an actual thing
Somehow you seem to think your reasoning makes losing almost every time to rivals ok. Whose fault is it that he consistently doesn't have as good of teams as his rivals? Washington wasn't that much better if any that WSU was during His time there. I'm a big PAC fan. He should have won at least half of those games. He won one.

Reactions: patdog

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Interestingly, the last two coaches who dropped 3 in a row to Ole Miss (Felker and Bellard) were fired at the end of the year. No coach has lost 3 in a row to Ole Miss since.

(Before that it would have been the leaner years of MSU football - Shira and Walker, who both had to weather the Vaught years). But neither were fired after their 3rd straight loss to Ole Miss.
Back in the Shira and Walker years I doubt we could afford to fire a coach that had years left on his contract.

patdog

May 28, 2007

The only part I’m fuzzy on is how UW isn’t better than WSU 11 weeks out of the year, but is better than them 1week out of the year. But I’m sure you’re right about that. Somehow.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Somehow you seem to think your reasoning makes losing almost every time to rivals ok. Whose fault is it that he consistently doesn't have as good of teams as his rivals? Washington wasn't that much better if any that WSU was during His time there. The m a big PAC fan. He should have won at least half of those games. He won one.
I dont at all excuse it. I have no idea what you are talking about. And once Petersen got there he wears way better. 3 division titles. 2 conf titles. A playoff appearance. The programs were very close. If they were so close Leach could have at least stayed within one score after year 1. Instead he lost by 3 scores most of the time. I watched the Apple cup a lot. It was a total mismatch.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022

Do you not see the crazies in this thread? Living for a rival is a real thing.

I do think Leach himself is more like what you describe, as far as Ole Miss. he does have a weird affinity for aTm though, played them hard at Texas Tech and now here. So he’s not immune to the rivalry obsession either, it’s just for weird teams.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
I dont at all excuse it. I have no idea what you are talking about. And once Petersen got there he wears way better. 3 division titles. 2 conf titles. A playoff appearance. The programs were very close. If they were so close Leach could have at least stayed within one score after year 1. Instead he lost by 3 scores most of the time. I watched the Apple cup a lot. It was a total mismatch.
Again, somehow you seem to think that makes it OK. It doesn't. It actually makes it much worse.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Again, somehow you seem to think that makes it OK. It doesn't. It actually makes it much worse.
I literally have no idea why you think I think it’s ok. Its not. It’s why he loses and yes, it’s way worse. OM was better than us last year. We lost. They are better than us this year. We will lose. And it’s not OK.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Do you not see the crazies in this thread? Living for a rival is a real thing.

I do think Leach himself is more like what you describe, as far as Ole Miss. he does have a weird affinity for aTm though, played them hard at Texas Tech and now here. So he’s not immune to the rivalry obsession either, it’s just for weird teams.
Rivalry is a real thing in sports. It is what MAKES it. When you get right down to it, your rival might not be the team you actually want to beat the most. It is the team that you deep down just can not stand to lose to.

Chesusdog

May 2, 2006
He didn’t seem to give a schitt about playing Texas Tech last year. He might be all in on the rest though.
That bothers me too, but our team almost entirely opted out of the game. Still should have beat those guys with our backups.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
I literally have no idea why you think I think it’s ok. Its not. It’s why he loses and yes, it’s way worse. OM was better than us last year. We lost. They are better than us this year. We will lose. And it’s not OK.
You are presenting it as if it excuses the losses. It doesn't.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
Back in the Shira and Walker years I doubt we could afford to fire a coach that had years left on his contract.
Or we had more grounded leadership that left the rivalries for "the fans"

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
I think if you do some research you will notice that Washington recruited light years ahead of Wazzu. Now was that Leach's fault or just the problem of being a podunk school ? Idk. Same with recruiting at TT. And of course TT has never regained their previous glory. I think given time he will get it going pretty good here. Hard to be patient tho.

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
No way he's coaching for his job but wouldn't surprise me if he hung it up after this season. Not based on anything other than he sounds like crap and loves him some Key West. Might be time to relax full time and get healthy.
He just needs to lay off the dip. That’s what has his throat all ruddy.

jdbulldog

Oct 27, 2007
His teams have historically underperformed in rivalry games almost certainly because his detached style does not help his team match the other team emotionally. However in this one he might literally be coaching for his job. That might mean nothing to him as well but it is a close to a motivator as I think we will get with him.
The motivation for Leach is winning. He does not need a job or the money that goes with it.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login