Leave the SEC?

08Tiger

Jul 1, 2024
I'm a Clemson grad and fan. Question for all...

Would you as Gamecock fans ever be in support of leaving the SEC for a conference that wouldn't present as tough of a schedule? From a fan's perspective, would you enjoy being in an easier conference where you could compete for conference championships yearly but the school received many millions less yearly?

I ask because as a Clemson fan, I'm asking myself the same thing as rumors swirl about the FSU/Clemson/ACC lawsuits and what may happen as a result. Purely from the perspective of a football fan, I like seeing my team win a lot and I don't really care about the money, as long as winning continues.. if it is possible to do so.

Just a question for fun... obviously we as fans all have zero or next to zero control over these types of decisions. Thanks!

08Tiger

Jul 1, 2024
Not really. There is some relevance that comes simply from being in the SEC. We would be mostly mediocre no matter what conference are in. Mediocre in the SEC > mediocre in some lesser conference.
Maybe that is true, but what if it isn't? What if South Carolina could go to the Big 12 and compete for conference championships? Or if that's not realistic, what if they could go to a mid-major conference like the Sunbelt and have 10 or 11 wins every year, win a conference championship most years, have a hope for a shot at a top 12 final ranking..

Would you as fans want that? Or would you rather tough it out in the SEC, bring in more money, and hope for a magical season where it all comes together?

92Pony

Joined Jan 18, 2011
Jan 20, 2022
Maybe that is true, but what if it isn't? What if South Carolina could go to the Big 12 and compete for conference championships? Or if that's not realistic, what if they could go to a mid-major conference like the Sunbelt and have 10 or 11 wins every year, win a conference championship most years, have a hope for a shot at a top 12 final ranking..

Would you as fans want that? Or would you rather tough it out in the SEC, bring in more money, and hope for a magical season where it all comes together?
It's a tough call. The winning more part would be very nice. But I feel like other fans would always rib/remind us that we couldn't cut it in a tough conference, so we 'ran' to a weaker conference so we would actually win more. That would be a permanent asterisk and something, the end of which, would never be heard.

Reactions: mickray and USCEE82

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022

Whatever recruiting clout we have would be greatly diminished, or lost altogether, by competing in a conference like the Sunbelt I doubt very seriously we would be a 10 win team there recruiting as a Sunbelt team. If we could take our SEC roster and compete in the Sunbelt, then maybe.

Sad reality is that most year, our biggest recruiting chip to recruits is "come here for playing time in the SEC". We would have nothing to offer recruits if we competed in the Sunbelt.

Last edited:

muscleknight

Jan 20, 2022
If Clemson goes to the B1G or SEC their path to the playoffs gets a lot harder. Why not stay in the ACC for less money and make the playoffs say every 3 out of 4 years? For us we are already in the SEC and it would be stupid to leave.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
If Clemson goes to the B1G or SEC their path to the playoffs gets a lot harder. Why not stay in the ACC for less money and make the playoffs say every 3 out of 4 years? For us we are already in the SEC and it would be stupid to leave.

On the one hand, I get the "stupid to leave" arguments. On the other hand:

Year 1 in the SEC: 3-5
Year 32 in the SEC: 3-5

That SEC money and prestige hasn't change a whole lot. The upside of being in the SEC is that we are getting paid very handsomely for mediocrity.

Yes, yes, I know about baseball and WBB, but the question is in the context of football and the other sports only get to exist because of football.

Reactions: Mountain guy

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
No. Just no. We are condemned eternally to misfit status, but with good wages and benefits. We'll matter where we can matter without ever mattering where it matters most.

This is the crux of it. We get paid handsomely for mediocrity or worse at football, which is the only sport that really matters in the big picture, but that allows the less relevant and non-revenue-generating sports to enjoy some success.

adcoop

Jul 3, 2023
It's proven that with the right coach and right system that we can compete in the SEC. We just couldn't win that 1 game that could get us over the hump. We just have been either unlucky or choosing the wrong profiles in choosing a coach. We tend to go retread coach that had big success, but is on the back end of their career. We have bucked that trend lately, but just haven't hit yet. We have only tried it a couple of times. If Lane Kiffin can get it done at Ole Miss, we can find a coach to get it done here. So, I choose the money and to keep grinding until hit on a coaching hire. Without the right coach or system, you won't win in the ACC, Sun Belt, or any other conference.

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
It's proven that with the right coach and right system that we can compete in the SEC.
Actually, it is not proven. Our only divisional championship was one of only two achieved by teams with three conference losses, and that team still holds the record for the worst margin of defeat in the history of the SECCG. So, no.

Reactions: mickray

Blues man

Joined Jul 1, 2009
Jan 22, 2022
As someone who coached most of my life, I never found it gratifying to join tournaments or participate under certain sanctioning bodies just because the competition was less challenging. If anything, it left me feeling like I shorted myself and my team if not a waste of my time and their's. That said, it's one thing not to have an opportunity to play with the big dogs but it's quite another to have the opportunity but choose not to. If you favor the latter, you imo are in the wrong business. The day we leave the SEC is the day I am done with USC sports.

Reactions: Sweetwatergolf

08Tiger

Jul 1, 2024
Yeah I agree with this. I'd rather we stay in the ACC. People can bash a weaker schedule all they want, but we've had some really really fun winning seasons and championships in the past decade and I don't want to make it harder to do it again. Those seasons were the most fun I've ever had watching sports.... don't mess it up over money

08Tiger

Jul 1, 2024
As someone who coached most of my life, I never found it gratifying to join tournaments or participate under certain sanctioning bodies just because the competition was less challenging. If anything, it left me feeling like I shorted myself and my team if not a waste of my time and their's. That said, it's one thing not to have an opportunity to play with the big dogs but it's quite another to have the opportunity but choose not to. If you favor the latter, you imo are in the wrong business. The day we leave the SEC is the day I am done with USC sports.
Valid point... but with an expanded playoff, you still have the potential opportunity to prove yourself against the 'big dogs.'

Blues man

Joined Jul 1, 2009
Jan 22, 2022
Valid point... but with an expanded playoff, you still have the potential opportunity to prove yourself against the 'big dogs.'
True, but I think we will find the big dogs are going to get more opportunities.
No one gets a lock on their conference forever and it is quite possible the room for error will be much smaller outside of what is thought to be a very strong conference... like you better win your conference. Double edge sword if you ask me as far as being in what is considered a weaker conference if your main goal is making the playoffs. Should be an easier path... for one team anyway, not so easy for a second team. Possibly.
If nothing else, it will be interesting to see how this plays out.

08Tiger

Jul 1, 2024
True, but I think we will find the big dogs are going to get more opportunities.
No one gets a lock on their conference forever and it is quite possible the room for error will be much smaller outside of what is thought to be a very strong conference... like you better win your conference. Double edge sword if you ask me as far as being in what is considered a weaker conference if your main goal is making the playoffs. Should be an easier path... for one team anyway, not so easy for a second team. Possibly.
If nothing else, it will be interesting to see how this plays out.
Yeah, you're probably right.

I am definitely interested to see how the 9-12 seeds do against the higher seeds. I can't decide if I think we are going to see a bunch of first round blowouts or if we are going to be shocked by the "underdogs" ability to be competitive. It'll be fun!

Blues man

Joined Jul 1, 2009
Jan 22, 2022
Yeah, you're probably right.

I am definitely interested to see how the 9-12 seeds do against the higher seeds. I can't decide if I think we are going to see a bunch of first round blowouts or if we are going to be shocked by the "underdogs" ability to be competitive. It'll be fun!
I do have a tendency to pull for underdogs. Agreed, it should be fun... a whole new level of it.

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
It's proven that with the right coach and right system that we can compete in the SEC. We just couldn't win that 1 game that could get us over the hump. We just have been either unlucky or choosing the wrong profiles in choosing a coach. We tend to go retread coach that had big success, but is on the back end of their career. We have bucked that trend lately, but just haven't hit yet. We have only tried it a couple of times. If Lane Kiffin can get it done at Ole Miss, we can find a coach to get it done here. So, I choose the money and to keep grinding until hit on a coaching hire. Without the right coach or system, you won't win in the ACC, Sun Belt, or any other conference.
You are spot on. My expectation for USC is not to win the SEC, much less the national championship. Just be a Top 20 team, year in and year out. With, as you say, the "right coach" that is doable and definitely has been "proven" to be possible to attain. And to me, that would be good enough and satisfying.

Some Carolina fans have unrealistic expectations.. We are not an annual recruiting powerhouse, never have been and never will be. Until some Carolina fans come to that realization and lower their expectations, they will be unhappy.

Regarding leaving the SEC, I would point to Clemson. The bigwigs there badly want out of the ACC and prefer the SEC. Why? Money. The world is ruled by money. Greed. Everybody is greedy. We all want more money. And then more. And then more again. Why would leaders of universities be any different? That is the real world we live in.

Tngamecock

Jan 22, 2022

Would you as Gamecock fans ever be in support of leaving the SEC for a conference that wouldn't present as tough of a schedule? From a fan's perspective, would you enjoy being in an easier conference where you could compete for conference championships yearly but the school received many millions less yearly?

I ask because as a Clemson fan, I'm asking myself the same thing as rumors swirl about the FSU/Clemson/ACC lawsuits and what may happen as a result. Purely from the perspective of a football fan, I like seeing my team win a lot and I don't really care about the money, as long as winning continues.. if it is possible to do so.

Just a question for fun... obviously we as fans all have zero or next to zero control over these types of decisions. Thanks!
Good question…..asked myself this for many years. While it would be nice to make the playoffs and have a shot at a title, if not sure I could take a schedule where you literally can’t get jacked for a home game. If you weren’t winning and could make the playoffs, say 8 wins a year, do you really want to have BC, Syracuse, UVA, GaTech, Wake, VaTech, Pitt, etc on your home schedule.

Even losing, rather get up for a Bama, UGA, etc. Clemson’s biggest game this year is an SEC team. It’s a hard question though.

Ansonicus

Jul 13, 2022
This is the crux of it. We get paid handsomely for mediocrity or worse at football, which is the only sport that really matters in the big picture, but that allows the less relevant and non-revenue-generating sports to enjoy some success.
What is worse than getting paid handsomely for mediocrity? Not getting paid handsomely for mediocrity!

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
Reactions: Blues man

Blues man

Joined Jul 1, 2009
Jan 22, 2022
I don't believe this any more than the other stuff put out there daily, but I do believe it ain't gonna be 2035, either.

Interesting article. I dont think I could be more in favor of adding schools from NC and Va. Good to see something that makes total sense.

Gamecock Jacque

Joined Dec 20, 2020
Jan 30, 2022

I wouldn't get excited playing basketball schools in football.

CWW

Joined Dec 2, 2013
Feb 1, 2022

And you joined this site to ask that question? Did you ask your Clemson fans? And this day in time…you have to have money! And CU has always had it…honestly or under the table.

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
On the one hand, I get the "stupid to leave" arguments. On the other hand:

Year 1 in the SEC: 3-5
Year 32 in the SEC: 3-5

That SEC money and prestige hasn't change a whole lot. The upside of being in the SEC is that we are getting paid very handsomely for mediocrity.

Yes, yes, I know about baseball and WBB, but the question is in the context of football and the other sports only get to exist because of football.
You know that's not true. Plenty of schools don't sponsor football, but do sponsor hoops, yard, etc.

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
No. Just no. We are condemned eternally to misfit status, but with good wages and benefits. We'll matter where we can matter without ever mattering where it matters most.
Like Vandy.

I wonder if Georgia Tech and Tulane silently regret leaving the SEC.

Still miss our old 8-member ACC.

adcoop

Jul 3, 2023
Actually, it is not proven. Our only divisional championship was one of only two achieved by teams with three conference losses, and that team still holds the record for the worst margin of defeat in the history of the SECCG. So, no.
....and we followed that season with 3 consecutive 6-2 conference seasons where you win the division if you don't crap the bed against a mediocre Auburn team at home and a bad Tennessee team 2 years later. Those were our years and we blew it. Not seizing your moment is not the same as I can't do it.

Reactions: Gamecock Jacque

Spurman54

Joined Apr 19, 2003
Jan 20, 2022

H NO!!

StrokeMyEgo

Nov 28, 2023
I would be okay with it if it meant winning more. I don't give two craps about being in the SEC and I always root against them. I pull for South Carolina...not the SEC.

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
I would be okay with it if it meant winning more. I don't give two craps about being in the SEC and I always root against them. I pull for South Carolina...not the SEC.
On the athletic front, you have set yourself up for a life of immense frustration.