LOCKED - Are y'all in a funk towards football as much as I am?...

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
I have very little excitement right now.

Last edited:

missouridawg

Oct 6, 2009
NIL and the Mike Leach experience really just don't contribute to MSU having a great (9+ wins with a marque win) season this year, nor any years in the future.

I will watch the games. But my give a damn is as low as it's ever been since I first attended class 22 years ago.

PirateDawg

Jan 9, 2020
I'm excited about football. Most of the starters and all the coaches returning. We are always picked last in the West so that doesn't mean anything to me. We start with a rematch with Memphis at home. I hope we smoke them.

ababyatemydingo

Nov 27, 2008
I have very little excitement right now.

I'm afraid the butts in the seats factor is gonna create some warm seats elsewhere in the overall athletic administration, this coming fall. Apathy was already starting to set in, with all that went on the last few years (COVID, etc...). But yes, it feels like a weird year, from an MSU athletics standpoint. Just not a whole lot to get really excited about, other than just being proud to be a bulldog.

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
I'm sure as the season gets closer - my excitement will increase.

engie

May 29, 2011
Tough to be excited with our marketing where it is now(nonexistent). All the televised spring games and we don’t even actually have one? I remember 30k plus showing up for Mullen’s second and third ones…

columbiadawg2

Feb 2, 2010
Same boat here. You know going in we will lose at least one head scratcher, get obliterated by Bama and UGA, lose to OM but somehow upset at least one if not two other teams. It's what Leach does.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Its May- about the furthest from football season as it gets. Add to that a couple of 'meh' seasons, the NIL, and transfer rules to result in a whole lot of lukewarm views on football right now.
I will watch every game, but it is interesting how different my falls are from 10 and even 15 years ago. Heck, I was invested more even when the craptacular Croom era was in full effect.

RiverCityDawg

Dec 30, 2009
I'm personally still pretty excited about football and the opportunity to be sneaky good this year, but I see others are not so I've reflected on this quite a bit. Two things are going on, in my opinion...

I think part of it is the growing culture around college football that the playoff is the only thing that matters, while at the same time having the playoff be exclusive to only a handful of teams. While most State fans would probably say they don't really expect to compete for the playoff, it's almost impossible to follow the sport and this not rub off on you.

Second, and probably the biggest factor for our fans, State has been "good" for a while now and it seems many of our fans are bored with "good" and only interested in "great", which unfortunately for most State fans also seems unachievable, particularly due to the last two games last year. The hope of getting to the next level, whatever level that might be, is what drives fans, and that hope for many of our fans just isn't there.

I still believe next year we can be more like we were against NCSt, UK, A&M and Auburn, but I understand if people are still dwelling on how we looked against La Tech, Memphis, ole miss and Texas Tech.

dudehead

Jul 9, 2006
Tough to be excited with our marketing where it is now(nonexistent). All the televised spring games and we don’t even actually have one? I remember 30k plus showing up for Mullen’s second and third ones…

Why did they cancel the spring game?

MSUDC11

Aug 23, 2012
I mean I’m not the most excited about football that I’ve ever been but it’s also four months until kickoff. Come July or August I’ll be as ready to go.

In general I am very jaded toward college football right now though. The NFL has been far more interesting and entertaining the last few years.

Aug 28, 2018
I'm with you here. Wouldn't say I'm necessarily excited at this point, but I'm typically not at this time. I think this team will be far better than what they start the season projected to be.

I watch football like I watch other sports, just because I enjoy it. I've learned that if they get me frustrated, I just find something else enjoyable to do. I have zero money invested in the success or failure of the teams, other than the occasional game ticket, so why get all worked up?

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008
I have very little excitement about it in general now….nothing to do with MSU. College football is just a shitshow of a product now.

This is sort of where I am. Just getting fed up with the whole state of college athletics. College football was already the least competitive college sport out there and now it is getting even worse with NIL and the transfer portal. College football and MBB are both turning into sports with nothing more than hired mercenaries for players. Yea, there was always some under the table money but now its a year by year bidding war for current players that are essentially free agents. As far as MSU football I'm actually looking forward to seeing how we do. We have as much or more returning production returning as anyone in the SEC so I don't know why our own fans are so down. Its also been shown that the longer players are in the Leach system the better things go.

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
I also think MSU fans feel like they’re looking up at OM now. Leach’s record in bowl and rivalry games is too large to ignore at this point.

FISHDAWG

Dec 27, 2009
I'm always excited about college football ... I'll watch us getting our butts beat by Bama and I'll also watch us beating a nobody non-conference type team. I simply have learned to tamper expectations - Like not being surprised by a baseball NC hangover.

msugolf

Dec 29, 2008
I have zero excitement. Its almost as if my favorite team is UTEP or something. I guess this is what it feels like to be a USM fan.

wdawg44

Jun 4, 2014
I'm fired up already. This will be the most talented team since 2018, 3rd year starter at qb, ourDT's are juniors, and get Jordan Davis back. We are going to be tough to deal with for the next two years.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I've been in a funk really ever since I realized there was no hope of JoMo working out, which was the Kansas State game in year 2 (I stupidly gave him too much of a pass for year 1). I have zero excitement about this fall.

RiceDawg

Aug 13, 2017
A lot of still think Moorhead is the coach and many of you are still too soured because of 2020.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
Why did they cancel the spring game?

Weather. We're a meteorology school - how could cohen and leach let this happen?

Think they moved it inside. They did have an open practice last Saturday - I went. It was mostly a normal practice followed by some simulated drives, starting in different areas of the field.

PirateDawg

Jan 9, 2020
When you know the outcome of a sport it kinda kills some of the excitement

I'm personally still pretty excited about football and the opportunity to be sneaky good this year, but I see others are not so I've reflected on this quite a bit. Two things are going on, in my opinion...

I think part of it is the growing culture around college football that the playoff is the only thing that matters, while at the same time having the playoff be exclusive to only a handful of teams. While most State fans would probably say they don't really expect to compete for the playoff, it's almost impossible to follow the sport and this not rub off on you.

Second, and probably the biggest factor for our fans, State has been "good" for a while now and it seems many of our fans are bored with "good" and only interested in "great", which unfortunately for most State fans also seems unachievable, particularly due to the last two games last year. The hope of getting to the next level, whatever level that might be, is what drives fans, and that hope for many of our fans just isn't there.

I still believe next year we can be more like we were against NCSt, UK, A&M and Auburn, but I understand if people are still dwelling on how we looked against La Tech, Memphis, ole miss and Texas Tech.

I agree with your assessment. We all know that Alabama and Georgia will be there when the dust settles. Texas A&M has set up a recruiting system that makes Saban's look 2nd best. The rich get richer and while we just try to not get hurt too bad when we play them. I've come to accept that we will lose to Alabama and Georgia. I guess its time to add TAM to that list. When LSU gets good coaching they can be added back.

Even so, I'm excited to see the team execute when they get on the field. I think we will see some improvements over last year.

notoriousD_O_G

Apr 1, 2013
A lot of still think Moorhead is the coach and many of you are still too soured because of 2020.

If we have a kicker last season we are least 2 maybe 3 more games. We went out and got a kicker. We return more production than anyone. I think we are set up to be a much better team this season.

PirateDawg

Jan 9, 2020
I hope you get out of your funk. Living in a funk state it tough. Meds or alcohol sometimes helps.

Maybe the team will surprise you this year.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
I think it comes with becoming middle aged for me.

Kids and such. My weekends for the next 12 years are pretty much booked. If we don't have family stuff planned and I need to be working or doing house stuff, I want to catch up with friends. We will squeeze in Starkville trips a couple times a year, but aside from that it's hard to get emotionally invested in a product I know is going to be a 6-7 win season pretty much every year with all the other things I have going on.

So, I'm basically out for a lot of good reasons. Better question is - do young people care about football the way we did 20 years ago when this board was in its infancy? I'm wondering if we are seeing some generational aging + changes in the younger generations that just don't set up well for the effort that is college football outside of the blue blood programs? This can't be just an MSU issue.

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013
Not super excited but for me it’s the state of college football, as people have said. Last year was pretty good for us compared to things historically. For me, it’s knowing you don’t have a shot at the West or playoffs. Expand the playoffs to 16 and I would get more interested, even if we only made it once a decade or two, I’d at least have something to hope for

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
This basically describes my feelings, and it’s funny because it’s not like I thought we could actually win a title back in the 90s or 00s. I was ecstatic with 8 wins and a bowl game.

That said, something just feels different today in terms of trying to figure out what we’re even playing for. Maybe there was just more of a charm to it back in the day when everything wasn’t all over tv and social media. Now, it’s about like the point when I figured out that pro wrestling was scripted. Still entertaining, but it takes a whole lot of wind out of the product’s sails when you know how things are gonna turn out.

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022
I get the NIL challenge but I would think the Portal would play right into our hands,

Why can't we "recruit" (within the rules) all conference players from non-SEC or Power 5 schools selling them on a chance to play in the SEC. Similar to the old Junior College strategy Jackie had. We've done it to some extent but make it a target number each year given the talent is available.

Also, we should be ready to scoop up some players from the Blue Bloods that aren't seeing the field or NIL has soured the locker room. Tell them we may not be your 1st choice but we'd love to be your 2nd choice if things don't work out.

Why couldn't we land several 4 star type players on both sides with this strategy every year? Add that to our base and we'd be a tough out for anybody.

Bill Shankly

Nov 27, 2020
I'm not excited at all. I am getting more and more disenchanted with college sports in general. Couple that with that I don't see us as being much if any better than last year and with the schedule...........

Tall Dawg

Apr 11, 2016
57, I was at the battle for golden egg last year.
I don’t know if u watched it but that loss was in NO WAY whatsoever on Leach or coaching staff.
Our players didn’t make offense plays when they had “low hanging” fruit TD pass plays in front of them. Players have to execute. Simple as that.

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
The excitement level would have been higher if we hadn’t shat the bed against Ole Miss and Texas Tech. But the MSU Athletics Department doesn’t do anything to help it’s cause.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I just enjoy gameday and being in the stadium. Can't wait. I'm even going out to Tucson for the Arizona game.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
That's what changed for me way back when. Never got to use my tickets because of kid weekend engagements. Tailgated when my kids were in school there but don't have the energy or time to dedicate to it these days. I watch them all but the desire to be in person vs the hassle to do so has me behind a TV for most games these days. My kids, in their 20's are a mixed bag. The ones that live away don't come back for football. The ones that live in MS still still go up there with friends a fair amount but that is slowing down as they have babies and the logistics change!

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login