LOCKED - Are y'all in a funk towards football as much as I am?...

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
First time in over 20 years that I won't be a season ticket holder.

patdog

May 28, 2007
And to think we used to ***** about Danny checking out in mid-November. Leach thinking about Key West by mid-November:

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
The offense is hard to watch. A gazillion 3 yard passes is boring as hell. But being owned by OM and looking like trash in bowl games is tough to watch. So is losing to Memphis and struggling with LaTech.
Then you've got the AD literally putting nothing into football. All other sports suck too. It's like 2007 again.

Last edited:

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
I'll answer that question with a question. When does State seem to have it's most fun and exciting seasons? When we're supposed to be good or when everyone is discounting us?

Since even in the best year of the program's history we were predicted to finish 5th in the West, our most fun and exciting seasons are when we are discounted.
...but that doesnt mean every time we are discounted fans should be excited for whats to come.

philduckworth

Feb 20, 2015
With only a 4 team playoff and the current rules and structure of college football, we have nothing to play for now or in the foreseeable future. Best hope is a bowl game that is meaningless and that will have multiple player opt outs. Thank the leadership.

We Men

Oct 24, 2018
One thing that didn't help was not having a Spring Game. That always kept me pumped up a little bit. I could look at the replay during the summer. Now, we know very, very little about the players and who all might contribute next season. Oh well.

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008
I also think MSU fans feel like they’re looking up at OM now. Leach’s record in bowl and rivalry games is too large to ignore at this point.

We have only ever done well in the Egg Bowl rivalry when we had a HC that emphasized it like Sherrill and Mullen did. Leach treating it the same as a game with SE Missouri State will NEVER be a recipe for success.

blacklistedbully

Apr 9, 2010
With the NIL and all the BS coming from players wanting to profit-share, etc. I'm beginning to care about college football about as much as I care about the Starkville Steeldawgs. It's becoming semi-pro football with teams who might have trouble competing in the pre-existing semi-pro leagues.

The beauty of pre-NIL college ball was that it was tribal in nature. As students & alum we could feel as though we had a genuine connection...like we were in some way a part of the team. But with this mess today it's getting increasingly more difficult to feel that connection. At least not nearly on the same level as before.

I'm just grateful we won a NC in baseball before this NIL crap ruined everything. Thankful we won one when it was still "tribal".

Last edited:

Chesusdog

May 2, 2006
Shitting the bed in the bowl game two years in a row will do that. When you add on the fact that college free agency has removed all illusions that it's anything other than the NFL's farm system and yeah, I get that feeling all too well.

BossDawg78

Jan 25, 2015
The excitement level would have been higher if we hadn’t shat the bed against Ole Miss and Texas Tech. But the MSU Athletics Department doesn’t do anything to help it’s cause.

It would also help if we had a head coach with some energy. Watching Leach makes me want to take a nap.

TaleofTwoDogs

Jun 1, 2004
- Excitement for MSU teams should start with the school and filter down to the fans, it will feed itself. That doesn't happen at State.
- Basic tenet of sports is that you compete to win, to progress to a championship level. See last year's baseball season. In football, no chance equates to apathy.
- College sports was amateur based and free of the baggage of the pro sports world. NIL and the portal has taken that away.
- Leach does foster the need to take a nap.

So to answer your question, meh.

By the way, many of us can't wait a decade or two for another 2014, St. Peter is coming.

Maroonthirteen

Aug 22, 2012
I think Pirate hits on the biggest factor in lack of fan excitement. You already know the outcome of about 3 games. The other 9 aren't a factor in the conference or playoff race.

I think we have so many years of college football now to reference, everyone knows who the contenders are and who isn't. Also people have many more entertainment options.

Also.... a big factor in actual attendance is ticket prices are way to high. People will wait and see to buy tickets. Why buy a season ticket when the price is $100+, you know the out come, it's on tv and prices will be cheaper on stubhub closer to kickoff.

It's a big mess.

Maroonthirteen

Aug 22, 2012
-
- Leach does foster the need to take a nap.

I'm glad someone said this. As i feel similar. He does nothing for me.

I'm sure he is flippant about college football in public but intense in private. But..... his public schtick of ..."meh" about most things isn't motivating.

LocalBeachBum

Dec 8, 2021
Baseball season used to pull me out of the football season funk.

but this year it ain’t working

tcdog70

Sep 24, 2012
My Lord—we must have a thread full of young Bulldogs. I was here for Shira. We went years just trying to win 1 SEC game. We have a Coach who has won Coach of the Year awards. We play in the SEC west -where 90% of the teams in the USA would do good to win 2 games. Leach’s first year was SEConly schedule.. how tough is that? Last year if we had a half-assed kicker -we win 10 games. Please quit mully grubbing -get on board and be True Maroon.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Very good point. The Egg Bowl is as intense a rivalry as there is in the country. In some ways, even more intense than the Iron Bowl or Ohio St-Michigan. If a coach on either side doesn't realize that and buy in to it, he's doomed from the start.

philduckworth

Feb 20, 2015
Very good point. The Egg Bowl is as intense a rivalry as there is in the country. In some ways, even more intense than the Iron Bowl or Ohio St-Michigan. If a coach on either side doesn't realize that and buy in to it, he's doomed from the start.

The Leach brand of offense just doesn't allow for intensity. No physical nature to it like JWS and Mullen. I wasn't a huge Mullen fan but I loved watching Relf and the boys run all over Ole Miss.

FreeDawg

Oct 6, 2010
I have very little excitement about it in general now….nothing to do with MSU. College football is just a shitshow of a product now.

Truthfully the product has been trash for years from a live pov aside from the current transfer/NIL rules. It’s fine from the couch but live games are just bad. The only way I can describe it and go to a NFL game. It’s night & day product wise. The one thing college had was the connection to the school & the players that chose your school. The more that cheapens, the more it kills CFB.

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
I have very little excitement about it in general now….nothing to do with MSU. College football is just a shitshow of a product now.

Exactly. I watched less college football than ever last year and this year will be even less for me.

msudawg12

Dec 9, 2008
Oddly enough I’m cautiously optimistic this year. However, i see us falling further behind as the modern landscape continues to shape up

LocalBeachBum

Dec 8, 2021
Don’t take this personally, but I’ve been around as long. Emory Ballard was coach when I was a freshman.

then there were decades of malaise.

as I said, at least we could look forward to baseball season (that and beating lsu)

i personally don’t think Leach is a good coach. He will be about like Croom was, imo

PirateDawg

Jan 9, 2020
On the flip side I'm amazed Alabama sells out. The only question for fans is the margin of victory. Going to their games is like going to 9 or 10 State vs Mississippi Valley State games. At least when you go to a State game there is still the mystery of who will win. Sadly, college football has become rinse/repeat/rinse/repeat.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Didn’t you start this same thread a few months ago? My answer is still the same - no. I’m actually fired up.

PirateDawg

Jan 9, 2020
Please think about what you are saying before you post! Croom went 3-8, 3-8, 3-9 his first 3 seasons. Leach went 4-7 and 7-6 in his first 2 seasons. How can anyone compare the two???? Couple that with installing a completely new style of offense that none of our players had ever experienced. I'm amazed at the impatience in our fan base.

PirateDawg

Jan 9, 2020
Strange, when I watch games my attention is on the action on the field. Why are you watching the coach??? I prefer a coach that manages the team over a glorified cheerleader.

tcdog70

Sep 24, 2012
Don’t take this personally, but I’ve been around as long. Emory Ballard was coach when I was a freshman.

then there were decades of malaise.

as I said, at least we could look forward to baseball season (that and beating lsu)

i personally don’t think Leach is a good coach. He will be about like Croom was, imo

Dude--ML has been National Coach of the year twice.. he has taken ****-hole Teams to the top. To compare Him to the Slytanic lessens your credibility.the SEC West is the hardest division in college ball. plus this year we get GA.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Or another way to say it is if our anemic *** offense did something besides throw 3 yd passes when we need 10 for a first down on 3rd and 10, or maybe scored a TD instead of having to kick a FG then we would have won 3 or 4 more.

Ghostman

Apr 12, 2021
6 or 7 wins and a bowl game. That's adds up to 13 post game interviews and midweek press conferences with Mike Leach. What's not be excited about?

Feb 4, 2015
I was already starting to sour a few years back especially with the way mullen left and then we went out and hire JoMo. That all but just about killed it for me and then you add in the fact that there's only a handful of teams that even remotely have a chance at winning a natty plus the NIL deal and transfer portal and it just went down the tube for me. College football now is just a farm club for the NFL.

Hail State

Dec 27, 2009
It’s been a perfect storm for me. Dan leaving and JoeMo bringing the program down at the same time I hit the age of having young kids where it’s MUCH harder to get to games. Meanwhile the administration actively makes it harder every single year with new pointless policies that add nothing, only creating rules for the sake of having rules (something much less tolerable Post-Covid). Can’t park here, can’t tailgate here, must enter this gate at this time, must leave campus a certain way, it never stops.

Then Covid hits and it’s shown to me that it’s not too bad watching games from deer camp with my family, my friends, my food, my bathroom at a fraction of the cost.

And then the big fat cherry on top is the NCAA, in their infinite wisdom, caves and allows NIL to dig its claws into the sport. As if their wasn’t enough of a gap between the 8-10 blue bloods and the rest of the NCAA, this is surely the death knell of competitive college sports. With Alabama and Georgia already have five times the amount of money at their disposal already and now having sponsors like Ford, Coca-Cola, and Microsoft. Meanwhile State has players sponsored by Country Pleasin Sausage, and Country Tyme Fruit Stand. Mark my words, in 15 years State and Ole Miss and a lot of other SEC schools will resemble more of a club sport than what you see today.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012

example: Houston Nutt

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login