LOL! SEC statement on officiating....

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
So have any of you ever seen officials reverse their call like this on a PI? I didn’t realize PI was a reviewable call. That’s essentially what happened. You know the official saw the replay on the jumbo and went “oopsie”. There’s no way he just decided after the whistle that he made a huge mistake.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
I thought it was a clear PI, but that's really beside the point. What was so bad was the way they overturned it. They called it, marked it, and then overturned it when the Texas fans threw things on the field.
That wasn’t PI. It was a terrible call but you stick with the terrible call and not change it five minutes later.

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
I've seen flags picked up and penalties withdrawn before, but usually it is before the penalty is announced. I would like to know at what point the official decided he made a bad call? AFTER he told the head ref it was PI?

I'm not saying anything improper happened, but it is a bad look. If the ref reversed his call based on the replay, that's not proper. And if I has been one of those refs, all the stuff thrown on the field would make me want to stick with the original call, even if it was wrong.

ETK99

Jul 30, 2019
TX got the Miami treatment to keep more teams playoff worthy

Last edited:

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
I've seen flags picked up and penalties withdrawn before, but usually it is before the penalty is announced. I would like to know at what point the official decided he made a bad call? AFTER he told the head ref it was PI?

I'm not saying anything improper happened, but it is a bad look. If the ref reversed his call based on the replay, that's not proper. And if I has been one of those refs, all the stuff thrown on the field would make me want to stick with the original call, even if it was wrong.
When a flag is picked up, a discussion occurs before they call the penalty and it normally means someone had a better angle and let the ref who threw the flag know there was no foul and it is announced that way. In this situation, they announced the PI, then came back and changed it.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
What I love is how they have 6 angles of a play and only show the two that make it look questionable. That's what I call entertainment.

Reactions: WilCoDawg

olblue

Mar 11, 2018
Wasn't the ball intercepted at the UGA 46 and returned to the UGA 9? Or is my brain broken. Statements says Texas' side of field.
That explanation in and of itself speaks to how little that organization pays to detail. The SEC is successful despite itself.

tired

Sep 16, 2013
I've come to realize that most of our leaders are clowns & have gotten to where they are by corruption & fellatio.

RocketDawg

Oct 21, 2011
The statement didn't address the fact that the "review" of the penalty took five minutes and, to the viewer, it appeared that the reason it was reviewed and overturned was because fans threw hundreds of water bottles and beer cans onto the field of play. As always, "impropriety or even the appearance of impropriety is not allowed". That's a rule for virtually any job anywhere.

RocketDawg

Oct 21, 2011
Yep. I'm not sure it's a reviewable play. I don't like the way they went about it. But they got the call right in the end. And UGA still won.
That penalty is not reviewable by the off-site crew, but it can be discussed among the on-field officiating crew. But they, of course, review it on the large video boards while discussing. That's one negative of the super-sized HD video boards, but they're great for the fans to see replays, or if you have a bad seat, to even watch the game.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
I anyone can watch a Saturday of "college" football and afterwards feel like they know exactly what pass interference is anymore I wish they would tell me. It seems to have devolved to a "moving target" changing from play to play.....kinda like holding.
Or targeting. The second targeting call last night looked like a textbook hit. I would have been proud of that hit.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
This is kind of beautiful. Not only are they gaslighting by omitting that a referee's decision was already made and announced, they don't even have the correct spot on the field. What a joke SEC officiating is.
Officiating is equally competent or incompetent everywhere (however you view it). There’s a shortage for a reason, at all levels. Nobody wants to take that abuse.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Wasn't the ball intercepted at the UGA 46 and returned to the UGA 9? Or is my brain broken. Statements says Texas' side of field.
Yeah, I would have probably thrown some **** on the field too if my team intercepted the ball, and then ran 37 yards in the wrong direction. Just wouldn’t be because of the refs.

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
Even ignoring the debris thrown on the field, the explanation is basically, “After I saw the result of the play, I decided against the PI I saw that caused me to throw my flag.”

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
It pisses me off when they call targeting on the defensive player when the offensive player lowers their head to create the helmet to helmet.
^^this!
If they are truly concerned about safety (thus the targeting rule) they would make it applicable to the defense AND offense. They should just gradually move to no helmets. First, take away the facemask. Then move the helmets to just a soft shell, and the ultimately no helmet at all like rugby.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
Officiating is equally competent or incompetent everywhere (however you view it). There’s a shortage for a reason, at all levels. Nobody wants to take that abuse.
There have been many times where SEC officials appeared to be very "competent" in purposefully affecting the outcome of a football game though. I mean we've all seen Bama go what felt like 2 or 3 seasons in a row without a holding call.

dog99walker

Jul 16, 2021
The play was not reviewed. The officials can get together and talk about a play. They weren’t doing anything, since there was a stoppage of play due to debris on the field. In the crew meeting, it was decided that the flag was wrong. In the long run, Texas got the ball. Georgia had their little feelings hurt, but they won the game and KIRBY is gonna ‘get out his checkbook’ and pay the fine for comments after the game. Chris del Conti of Texas better get his checkbook out, too. Bad sportsmanship is a fine in the SEC, Big 12 fans.

Muttley

Aug 22, 2012
The play was not reviewed. The officials can get together and talk about a play. They weren’t doing anything, since there was a stoppage of play due to debris on the field. In the crew meeting, it was decided that the flag was wrong. In the long run, Texas got the ball. Georgia had their little feelings hurt, but they won the game and KIRBY is gonna ‘get out his checkbook’ and pay the fine for comments after the game. Chris del Conti of Texas better get his checkbook out, too. Bad sportsmanship is a fine in the SEC, Big 12 fans.
So, because the UT fans threw debris onto the field, the refs were able to huddle and review the call, thereby rewarding the UT fans poor behavior.

I'm eager to see what the fine will be.

Reactions: Fritz!

patdog

May 28, 2007
If the lead official announced the penalty, marked it off & set the ball, that play is over.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login