Looks like Cross is opting out of Liberty Bowl

Joe Schmedlap

Aug 11, 2010
Wow, says Owen Wilson. Wow
So now the team will play in a bowl game without a left tackle or a right tackle. Maybe our young starting QB should also opt out. Chance Lovertick time

Captain Ron

Aug 22, 2012
Wow, says Owen Wilson. Wow
So now the team will play in a bowl game without a left tackle or a right tackle. Maybe our young starting QB should also opt out. Chance Lovertick time

Why not sit out the TSU game as well? Did that one mean more than the bowl and the team certainly could have won with a backup.

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
I would not play. Thanks for your contribution to MSU football young man. Another 1st round pick and multi-millionaire. No reason to jeopardize that.

Maroonthirteen

Aug 22, 2012
Well.... at least we get started on next year. Also it will put a little more (maybe a lot more) pressure on Rogers. Maybe the game is another training session for Rogers confidence and ability to handle pressure, next year.

Ralph Cramden

Jan 7, 2020
I liked Leach comments about owing it to your team mates and all that but tbh I would probly skip it too. Idk...hard to say. It would be horrible to get hurt before the combine and all that

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
Some with MSU have said he was first rounder since midseason.

What are your thoughts on him playing the Egg bowl and TSU games?
EGG Bowl is > Liberty Bowl. EGG Bowl is a regular season game where you are playing your rival. Liberty Bowl is an exhibition game.

Last edited:

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
I liked Leach comments about owing it to your team mates and all that but tbh I would probly skip it too. Idk...hard to say. It would be horrible to get hurt before the combine and all that
Leach is guaranteed to make $20+Million over the next 4 years. Cross could be risking $20Million playing on carpeted concrete in a crap bowl game.

Bowl games are meaningless to a 1st round NFL draft pick.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
I have no problem with this. Go get paid, young man. There is no need in risking injury for a exhibition game when you’re a first round pick.

Joe Schmedlap

Aug 11, 2010
Point taken, but now shouldn’t our starting QB sit this one out, too? What about the starting running back? Don’t they risk injury a lot more now with Cross opting out? Serious question

I have no problem with this. Go get paid, young man. There is no need in risking injury for a exhibition game when you’re a first round pick.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Are they projected to be high draft picks this year? Cross doesn't need to add **** to his resume.

PBRME

Feb 12, 2004
There is already a precedent set in place of players protecting themselves from harm in the upcoming draft by sitting out their bowl game. There isn’t one for regular season games.

Last edited:

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Bowls don’t mean anything. Players would not opt out if they did, whereas coaches also wouldn’t bail right before them. That tells you all you need to know about the bowl system.

Time to nuke it. Expand the playoff.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Not anymore, at least. Times have changed.

Not worth getting upset over players skipping bowls at this point.

This is the correct take. It is what it is. I would like to say I wouldn’t skip it because of the team and wanting to keep my commitment to them, but that’s easy to say when it’s not my millions on the line. But it’s going to continue to happen and it’s just reality at this point

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
They've made EVERYTHING else in college football about MONEY. It's now totally commercial. What would give anyone the right to expect a future millionaire to risk it all "for the team" ? That Genie is out of the bottle and ain't going back.

Last edited:

UncleChuck

Aug 6, 2021
I think the biggest factor in guys opting out of bowl games is the time suck that bowl season is, more than just injury or a crap bowl. If he opts out, he's done with the team obligations. He does not have to sit around campus for practices and scouting reports, they can "officially" hire a trainer/agent and get a month's head start on the combine / pro day / evaluation prep.

Some with MSU have said he was first rounder since midseason.

What are your thoughts on him playing the Egg bowl and TSU games?

UncleChuck

Aug 6, 2021
While some guys in the locker room may be a little butt-hurt, I would guess that many of his teammates support his decision. Everyone understands what's at stake for Cross and what he would be giving up if he stayed around campus for the Liberty Bowl. These games do not mean what they once did.

Ultimately, it's good for the team in the long term too. The whole depth chart gets that much more experience and reps heading into spring ball.

Tall Dawg

Apr 11, 2016
I think the biggest factor in guys opting out of bowl games is the time suck that bowl season is, more than just injury or a crap bowl. If he opts out, he's done with the team obligations. He does not have to sit around campus for practices and scouting reports, they can "officially" hire a trainer/agent and get a month's head start on the combine / pro day / evaluation prep.

Finish what u started!

Will needs protection from his blind side and who better to do so
than an ALL American.

How many of our 3 first rounders played in the Outback Bowl.
ALL 3 did.

The odds of getting hurt in 1 game are slim to none.
Heck, look at Jeffrey Simmons. He hurt his knee while training
for the combine but STILL went in first round.

Playing in a bowl game is not about HELPING ur draft stock.
It is about helping ur team.
Good grief.

047Dog

Jan 29, 2020
So why do we even support football anymore? If only 3-4 programs have a legit shot at the natty and the bowl games are exhibitions then what are we doing here?

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
What’s the point of playing any game? You risk injury every game. You risk injury playing the sport. He could get injured doing anything. If you are too scared to get injured playing the sport you plan on doing for a career I just don’t understand the mindset. I get he is due a major payout but at the same time it takes away from the heart of the sport and sportsmanship. This sport has become all about money rather than the sport itself. In a lot of ways the amount of money in playing a kids game has watered it down a lot. I agree with leach on it. It’s all about the money and one’s self now.

Last edited:

Maroonthirteen

Aug 22, 2012

You are probably close to the truth. There is some risk with playing a bowl game but the risk of injury just a convenient excuse. Also sounds much better than "the semester is over, I'm done playing."

UncleChuck

Aug 6, 2021
I think it's too late to call a foul for "not being a team player" in college sports. NIL, one-and-done, signing day shenanigans, transfer portal, coaches leaving/fired mid-season.... we've deviated so far from pure sport. Finishing what he started means a ticket to the NFL - he's doing what he thinks he needs to do. Some guys stay, others don't. It's not a big deal and it's not a character flaw to decide to move on.

This is the real world, not Friday Night Lights. FIGHT FOR YOUR BROTHERRRRRRR!!!!

Ralph Cramden

Jan 7, 2020
So I guess if it was your 21 year old son you would advise him to play in the game ? I probly would not. I would tell him he already put his time in and the smart move is prepare for the draft. Of course I want him to play in the Liberty Bowl, but it doesn't hurt me if he blows his knee out. He gotta look at it from his perspective.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
While some guys in the locker room may be a little butt-hurt, I would guess that many of his teammates support his decision. Everyone understands what's at stake for Cross and what he would be giving up if he stayed around campus for the Liberty Bowl. These games do not mean what they once did.

Ultimately, it's good for the team in the long term too. The whole depth chart gets that much more experience and reps heading into spring ball.
The backup LT damn sure supports him. He’s been waiting all year! Same with backup CB.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
What’s the point of playing any game?.
This is a relevant question. Have to ask yourself if it’s about the name on the jersey, the city, the state, etc. Is it just money? I have to believe the best play for more than that.

But I know one thing, the Liberty Bowl trophy is not high on that list.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
If you can't assign a personal entertainment value to it like it is now you might as well not waste anymore time on it cause I got news for you ....Its going to get worse before it get's better.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login