Looks like script State is here to stay…..

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
…..at least for football and basketball. All social media platforms have it as the logo now.

I don’t get why we are making this move. Baseball kept M over S. Why can’t football helmets have the interlock? Basketball can do whatever, but the banner M-State should still be the staple (50 yard line, mid-court, etc.).

UncleChuck

Aug 6, 2021
…..at least for football and basketball. All social media platforms have it as the logo now.

I don’t get why we are making this move. Baseball kept M over S. Why can’t football helmets have the interlock? Basketball can do whatever, but the banner M-State should still be the staple (50 yard line, mid-court, etc.).
We need to fully adopt it before NM State stakes their claim of it!**

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009

Are you bi polar? Serious question.

Attachments

• IMG_6076.png
    IMG_6076.png
    671.3 KB · Views: 20

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022

I gave in to the interlock crowd and threw a bone, especially with how ugly the script is this year. Nothing more.

But the question is about script becoming official on everything. So try again.

Reactions: Anon1669338224

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
I gave in to the interlock crowd and threw a bone, especially with how ugly the script is this year. Nothing more.

But the question is about script becoming official on everything. So try again.
So you were wrong about the interlocking MSU.

it’s ok to say it. “I WAS WRONG”.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005

I think we can all agree that no one can agree on what they like for a logo. It’s like asking what’s your favorite BBQ restaurant or what’s the best pickup truck.

Reactions: paindonthurt

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Is it just me or do I remember most people loving the script State when it first was announced? And now it seems most don’t like it. This board is seriously bipolar.
I personally liked it until last Saturday. I will now forever associate it with that horrible game, Sam Pittman's giant boobs, and Arnette standing on the sidelines with his mouth gaped open like he's trying to catch a dinger in a flying dìck storm.

Burn it and start over. It makes me nauseous.

Old Dawg

Jan 7, 2020

Honestly not a fan of the script on helmets. Interlocking MS or MSU is our best look. Drive a nail and move forward.

Reactions: bulldoghair

STATEgrad04

Mar 3, 2008
I like the script State personaly...I think it looks good on shirts, etc, and I think it looks good on the helmets. I was never a fan of either version of the M-State.

Reactions: josebrown

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
I think we can all agree that no one can agree on what they like for a logo. It’s like asking what’s your favorite BBQ restaurant or what’s the best pickup truck.
Exactly. Which is why the whole....."they lied to us..." story is laughable. The Athletic office made a decision and went with it.

Also, the whole story of ..."they lied to us"...and what LT did in 04, became irrelevant in 2009 when Byrne doubled down by establishing the brand as MState with other secondary logos, none of which included a "MSU" logo.

Byrne did exactly what needed to be done. He hired a marketing firm, put together a committee and a decision was made. The entire project of branding included all the important people and was transparent.

Now this young naive AD has presented all these dormant (dated, awful) logos. Which have done nothing but dilute the brand that Byrne established.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008

• Haha
Reactions: paindonthurt

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I like the script State personaly...I think it looks good on shirts, etc, and I think it looks good on the helmets. I was never a fan of either version of the M-State.

I can't stand the banner or interlocking. Banner makes me think of Scott Stricklin who brought it on board and tried to run it down our throats and the interlocking looks like what it is, old and tired. I'm not a fan of the "State" for everything, I would rather see M over S on everything.

Walter Matthau Sport GIF

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
As the youts say, ON GOD!
You can add football uniforms to your post too- the fashionistas on this board are out of control when some small change to a football uniform is spotted.
"Oh my God, did you see the white piping on that uniform?!? I cant even!"

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Remember when the official school athletics website was mstateathletics.com?
Always thought that was the dumbest domain.

Reactions: StateCollege

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Exactly. Which is why the whole....."they lied to us..." story is laughable. The Athletic office made a decision and went with it.

Also, the whole story of ..."they lied to us"...and what LT did in 04, became irrelevant in 2009 when Byrne doubled down by establishing the brand as MState with other secondary logos, none of which included a "MSU" logo.

Byrne did exactly what needed to be done. He hired a marketing firm, put together a committee and a decision was made. The entire project of branding included all the important people and was transparent.

Now this young naive AD has presented all these dormant (dated, awful) logos. Which have done nothing but dilute the brand that Byrne established.
Excellent post. The morons don't realize all the time and effort that went into M-STATE. And guess what? Our best athletic run literally ever was the decade or so after Byrne. Not saying that branding was the sole cause but there was unprecedented growth during that time. What not stick with that?

That said, there are some places where logo variations make sense. Uniforms, for example, can vary. Most everybody goes a little off with the baseball hats, and jerseys and such. LSU goes off road with the football helmets. But the staple of social media and the field logos should be the official university logos. This is not that hard.

I've never questioned Keenum at all until this last AD hire.

Reactions: Maroon13 and patdog

patdog

May 28, 2007
Excellent post. The morons don't realize all the time and effort that went into M-STATE. And guess what? Our best athletic run literally ever was the decade or so after Byrne. Not saying that branding was the sole cause but there was unprecedented growth during that time. What not stick with that?

That said, there are some places where logo variations make sense. Uniforms, for example, can vary. Most everybody goes a little off with the baseball hats, and jerseys and such. LSU goes off road with the football helmets. But the staple of social media and the field logos should be the official university logos. This is not that hard.

I've never questioned Keenum at all until this last AD hire.
We spent 20 years and a fair amount of money to build a consistent brand logo. You don’t just change something like that on a whim. If you do change, there needs to be a compelling reason to and the new logo needs to be a. clear improvement. This just isn’t. Look around the SEC. When is the last time ANYONE other than Missouri made a major change to their main logo? Look around the other P5 conferences. Schools rarely change their logos. For very good reason.

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007

I think we are trying to become known as “state” nationwide. “MSU” is already taken, but it’s pretty lame. I don’t mind the move, if this is the rationale.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I think we are trying to become known as “state” nationwide. “MSU” is already taken, but it’s pretty lame. I don’t mind the move, if this is the rationale.
Understand, and I agree on 'STATE'. But doesn't M-STATE accomplish this? I think Hail State has taken hold too, thankfully.

And again, &tate can go on helmets. After seeing it all year, I don't like it, but I'll concede it (or the interlocking). I don't care what we put on helmets honestly. I really don't care if we Oregon it up with the whole uniform. Just make it look cool and not SWAC-ish like the Croom Error. And honestly, what we see now reminds me a lot of that with these ugly stripes and such (at least we haven't seen the maroon pants with white stripes thank God).

And I will say that I didn't really like the wavy banner merlot M-State of the Croom Error. But the newer, darker 'block' version is much better. White helmets are still awful.

Reactions: patdog and Maroon13

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
Understand, and I agree on State. But doesn't M-State accomplish this? I think Hail State has taken hold too, thankfully.

And again, &tate can go on helmets. After seeing it all year, I don't like, but I'll concede it. I don't care what we put on helmets honestly. I really don't care if we Oregon it up, personally. Just make it look cool and not SWAC-ish like the Croom Error. And honestly, what we see now reminds me a lot of that.

And I will say that I didn't really like the wavy banner M-State. But the newer, 'block' version is much better.
I don’t think the M-state banner would get us to simply being known as “State”. It just says the Mississippi version.

ETK99

Jul 30, 2019
Every fan that b I t ches about us not having money and being near the bottom in revenue should love a change and better merchandising. OM is almost $30MM better in revenue. We had an idiot for AD and now we've got a real AD doing his damn job.

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
Guess I just disagree. Considering @Maroon13's post above (#24), I think that's the best route for all parties.
I just read it, and can’t disagree with most of it. But, Byrne was a junior Johnny when he did all that. I never understood the different variations because most of them aren’t even used. I love the cowbell one, but you never see it anywhere.

If I see what he’s doing, this is bigger than a marketing campaign. Way bigger. It would be like if Louisiana State was vying against another L-State to overtake “LSU”. There’s only one LSU, and we could be the “only” State….

Reactions: Darryl Steight

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Got curious, so I looked at Florida: https://brandcenter.ufl.edu/the-university-logo/

They have separate academic and athletic logos. So I suppose anything is possible.

I'll be honest, I really liked just constantly changing up the uniforms in the 2010s. Be flashy, it never bothered me. To pull that off, it does seem like we need something consistent, no matter how small, that's why I just vouch for the M-State at the end of the day. Oregon has the 'O'.

Last edited:
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login