Looks like script State is here to stay…..

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
I can't stand the banner or interlocking. Banner makes me think of Scott Stricklin who brought it on board and tried to run it down our throats and the interlocking looks like what it is, old and tired. I'm not a fan of the "State" for everything, I would rather see M over S on everything.

Walter Matthau Sport GIF
Do you recall what the logo was directly before Scott Stricklin and the banner?

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
We spent 20 years and a fair amount of money to build a consistent brand logo. You don’t just change something like that on a whim. If you do change, there needs to be a compelling reason to and the new logo needs to be a. clear improvement. This just isn’t. Look around the SEC. When is the last time ANYONE other than Missouri made a major change to their main logo? Look around the other P5 conferences. Schools rarely change their logos. For very good reason.
Our logo has changed multiple times in 20 years. Consistently.

the only constant is it consistently has changed.

have we ever had a constant logo for 20 years? No

patdog

May 28, 2007
Our logo has changed multiple times in 20 years. Consistently.

the only constant is it consistently has changed.

have we ever had a constant logo for 20 years? No
Very minor changes, which isn’t uncommon. But the basic logo hasn’t changed since 2004.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Very minor changes, which isn’t uncommon. But the basic logo hasn’t changed since 2004.
So the people talking about the banner by Scott Stricklin are full of **** right?

but it did change. Minor changes are changes.

And it’s changed majorly quite a few times over the years.

probably on average every 20 to 30 years.

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022

If I see what he’s doing, this is bigger than a marketing campaign. Way bigger. It would be like if Louisiana State was vying against another L-State to overtake “LSU”. There’s only one LSU, and we could be the “only” State….

I don't get the logic of marketing as "State".

First of all, when I was a kid I heard "MSU" or "State". Now I hear "State" exclusively since the drop of the MSU logo and addition of MState. So we have already accomplished that being known as such regionally.

With that said, having a primary logo that is only "State" doesn't identify us outside our region. It is a generic term that has different meanings based on the individuals location. As you know even Dr Pepper uses the term for a fictional school.

Reactions: CDawg08

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
So the people talking about the banner by Scott Stricklin are full of **** right?

Regardless, if it's 20+ or only since 2009 (over 14 years) the current "banner M" is the longest running logo in our history. (By your criteria)

Reactions: patdog

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022

So now you're just straight up contradicting yourself. Do us a favor and be quiet. Deal with your anger elsewhere.

Anon1669338224

Nov 24, 2022
Is it just me or do I remember most people loving the script State when it first was announced? And now it seems most don’t like it. This board is seriously bipolar.
The jersey just overall sucks this year. We at least need some small lettering above the numbers. These look as bad as Croom jerseys. The state script got old pretty fast too.

Reactions: CDawg08 and patdog

StateCollege

Oct 17, 2022
We might just need a full rebrand with a brand new logo. The fan base is mostly out on the banner, interlocking MSU doesn't fit with "State" and the &cript is a weak primary logo - but does look good on merch. Just start over and release something new that hopefully can incorporate "State" without just slapping it in front of a block M.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
We might just need a full rebrand with a brand new logo. The fan base is mostly out on the banner, interlocking MSU doesn't fit with "State" and the &cript is a weak primary logo - but does look good on merch. Just start over and release something new that hopefully can incorporate "State" without just slapping it in front of a block M.
I truly feel like we're in the Croom Error again. We had good branding in the 90s it seems - all the uniforms looked good or at least seemed cool. And 'branding' wasn't a thing anyway, pre-internet and all. Then we went into the doldrums in the 2000s, we had sucky football and sucky baseball but decent basketball - like now, and we went through new branding with the dawn of the internet age. We finally got rid of the goof troop, brought in Byrne and Co., solidified the brand. Then we went through the 2010s which was largely successful with cool looking uniforms.

Now, we're back to the drawing board? Why? Why do this to ourselves? There's nothing wrong with our branding at the moment. What are we doing? M-State is recognizable on most things, and looks very good on most things. &tate looks Croomy and LT-esque, like a cartoon, on football uniforms. It's good on baseball jerseys, and will always be associated with a national champion. Leave it there. Looks good on merch too, I'm fine with that, do M over S too if you want.

I honestly don't think the fanbase is out on the block banner.

Reactions: patdog

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
I don't get the logic of marketing as "State".

First of all, when I was a kid I heard "MSU" or "State". Now I hear "State" exclusively since the drop of the MSU logo and addition of MState. So we have already accomplished that being known as such regionally.

With that said, having a primary logo that is only "State" doesn't identify us outside our region. It is a generic term that has different meanings based on the individuals location. As you know even Dr Pepper uses the term for a fictional school.
National vs. Regional. It’s as simple as that.

Reactions: Beretta.sixpack

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Regardless, if it's 20+ or only since 2009 (over 14 years) the current "banner M" is the longest running logo in our history. (By your criteria)
Except the banner M has changed during that time line just like the interlocking MSU did.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
But that’s the thing. The “fans” are never gonna be united over our logo.

EVER!

Reactions: M R DAWGS

patdog

May 28, 2007
I truly feel like we're in the Croom Error again. We had good branding in the 90s it seems - all the uniforms looked good or at least seemed cool. And 'branding' wasn't a thing anyway, pre-internet and all. Then we went into the doldrums in the 2000s, we had sucky football and sucky baseball but decent basketball - like now, and we went through new branding with the dawn of the internet age. We finally got rid of the goof troop, brought in Byrne and Co., solidified the brand. Then we went through the 2010s which was largely successful with cool looking uniforms.

Now, we're back to the drawing board? Why? Why do this to ourselves? There's nothing wrong with our branding at the moment. What are we doing? M-State is recognizable on most things, and looks very good on most things. &tate looks Croomy and LT-esque, like a cartoon, on football uniforms. It's good on baseball jerseys, and will always be associated with a national champion. Leave it there. Looks good on merch too, I'm fine with that, do M over S too if you want.

I honestly don't think the fanbase is out on the block banner.
Why do we do this to ourselves? Because we are Mississippi State. No school can make bad decisions and shoot itself in the foot like we can.

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
…..at least for football and basketball. All social media platforms have it as the logo now.

I don’t get why we are making this move. Baseball kept M over S. Why can’t football helmets have the interlock? Basketball can do whatever, but the banner M-State should still be the staple (50 yard line, mid-court, etc.).
If you want the banner M in any capacity you’re a loser. It’s the worst logo in collegiate athletics. Just awful.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Goat, we get it- you dislike the script, even though you are good with the script, and the state banner has changed a bunch even though it hasn't changed a bunch, and everyone's a moron.

Crystal clear now.***

Reactions: Dawgg

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
I feel like I used to get some sort of university correspondence from something resembling the 'barrel of monkeys' Mississippi logo. Like this style with "State" after it or below it. Did I dream that up? Is this the Mandela effect?

1698353603319.png

Also, I think this page needs an update because it pretty clearly says Script state is baseball only:

1698353692536.png

While I was on that page... I found this little guy and I have to say I'm in love. It's so weird and so unlike anything else even resembling a Mississippi State logo and the little devil tail makes it kind of subversive. Screw it. Put this on everything.

1698353812888.png

• Haha
Reactions: knock him out john

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
I feel like I used to get some sort of university correspondence from something resembling the 'barrel of monkeys' Mississippi logo. Like this style with "State" after it or below it. Did I dream that up? Is this the Mandela effect?

View attachment 433103

Also, I think this page needs an update because it pretty clearly says Script state is baseball only:

View attachment 433104

While I was on that page... I found this little guy and I have to say I'm in love. It's so weird and so unlike anything else even resembling a Mississippi State logo and the little devil tail makes it kind of subversive. Screw it. Put this on everything.

View attachment 433108
1698370721078.jpeg

Reactions: knock him out john

wasabaka

Sep 17, 2012

View attachment 433103

View attachment 433104

View attachment 433108

Are you talking about this one?

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login