Looks like we have a PG

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
That kid isn’t scared of new experiences. He’s gone from the Bronx, to Corvallis, and now Starkville. Good on him for trying new things at his age.

Also, this feeling of excitement for basketball season is starting to kick the rust off. I like it.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
You left out 2 years in TX community college too. Hopefully as you say he's

"not scared of new experiences" and its not a case of he's scared of competition and running from it. I think w/ NIL and free transfers this type of movement is going to be the norm and we won't see many 4 year careers at one stop.

Hot Rock

Jan 2, 2010
"not scared of new experiences" and its not a case of he's scared of competition and running from it. I think w/ NIL and free transfers this type of movement is going to be the norm and we won't see many 4 year careers at one stop.

This is one of the reasons I like Jans as the hire. He has proven that he can build a new team every year. He was a former JuCo where you never had a guy more than two years no matter how good he was. Good ones, gone to D1 asap. I am not saying Portal king or anything, just that he is used to teaching/coaching a brand new team every year.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
This is one of the reasons I like Jans as the hire. He has proven that he can build a new team every year. He was a former JuCo where you never had a guy more than two years no matter how good he was. Good ones, gone to D1 asap. I am not saying Portal king or anything, just that he is used to teaching/coaching a brand new team every year.

If Jans can be the Southern version of The Mayor, I would take that every day. Hoiberg was masterful at pulling in transfers and hustling together rosters each season at ISU.

DAWG61

Feb 26, 2008
Why/how did Oregon State go from the Elite 8 in 2021 to 3-27 this year? Anyone know? I'm genuinely curious. Same coach both years.

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
The fans of Beaver questioned Mr. Davis' effort throughout the year, arguing that he quit in a lot of games.
Hopefully he has a coach and team he is willing to play for now.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
The fans of Beaver questioned Mr. Davis' effort throughout the year, arguing that he quit in a lot of games.

PirateDawg

Jan 9, 2020
Or find a real good backup guy to replace him if he tires

at the end of both halves. His stats in the PAC12 speak for themselves.

patdog

May 28, 2007
It seems pretty obvious there were a lot bigger problems in that program than 1 player. Whether he was or wasn't a part of the problem, a change of scenery may do him a world of good.

Ralph Cramden

Jan 7, 2020
I wouldn't be too giddy over a guy that's played at the many stops all across the country. Hopefully he will fit in here and get it rolling, but no doubt that's what the last place said. Oh...and the one previous

PirateDawg

Jan 9, 2020
Get used to it. All these kids are out there with their hands out trying to get what they can by moving around. Leach was right!

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Get used to it. All these kids are out there with their hands out trying to get what they can by moving around. Leach was right!

Ha ha, or they are trying to make the most of a limited opportunity- they only have 4 years of college and some are trying to parlay that into a professional career in their sport. Moving to find the best opportunity to do that is a negative thing only if you phrase it as such. Many others are done with the game that got them so far in life at the end of college. So them trying to maximize that small window of time and play as much as they can or be part of a winning team is again only negative if you phrase it as such.

Leach could be described as trying to get what he can with his hand out by moving around. I wouldnt describe his situation like that, but it sure as **** could be since he moved across the country to take a better paying job.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I would submit that if a player wants to get the most out of his 4 years, he’d be better served to not start over at 3 different schools, coaches & groups of teammates.

Aug 28, 2018
Nowadays winning comes second to personal goals. If I can get those stats up, who cares if it is at the expense of others and the team isn't winning? That's what it amounts to. College sports are becoming like minor league ball--it's all about getting to the next level.

DawgatAuburn

Apr 25, 2006
I wouldn't be too giddy over a guy that's played at the many stops all across the country. Hopefully he will fit in here and get it rolling, but no doubt that's what the last place said. Oh...and the one previous

Let's don't act like this guy is hopping every year out of dissatisfaction or being a diva. He started his career in JUCO, which one might infer means that he was not academically qualified to go to a D1 school out of high school. In two years at his JUCO (the same JUCO both years I might add), he played very well and was a highly regarded prospect. So he finishes at JUCO and like hundreds of other players, chooses a D1 school to continue his career. Nothing unusual yet. I don't profess to know what happened at Oregon State this year other than Wayne Tinkle setting a new standard for tanking after receiving a contract extension. So Davis decided to leave a situation that obviously had some issues this year. So one the one hand, you are right, he will be at his third school in three years. On the other hand, he couldn't stay in JUCO another year and then he made a choice to leave a situation that at least on its surface has some issues.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
I would submit that if a player wants to get the most out of his 4 years, he’d be better served to not start over at 3 different schools, coaches & groups of teammates.

I dont disagree. Many transfers arent on their 3rd school though. Many are leaving their initial school for all sorts of reasons. And I could list 5th year players who are on their 3rd school that were impact players as grad transfers, which doesnt support your view. At the same time, I could list 5th year players who are on their 3rd year that mostly sat on the bench as grad transfers.
With so many data points, you can find support for many viewpoints.

olblue.sixpack

Aug 23, 2012
Nowadays winning comes second to personal goals. If I can get those stats up, who cares if it is at the expense of others and the team isn't winning? That's what it amounts to. College sports are becoming like minor league ball--it's all about getting to the next level.

Sounds like an everyday career path.

PirateDawg

Jan 9, 2020
Huge difference between coach Leach and a college basketball player believe it or not. Leach is a professional and lives by those tenets while amateur basketball players were being paid under the table for their services (now they call it NIL). It is just the nature of the game. I wasn't trying to demean the basketball players with my post. I was just pointing out the obvious.

PirateDawg

Jan 9, 2020
Are you saying Leach was demeaning the players? He said they were dabbling in both the professional and amateur world which they are. That is the point that I'm making so how is that demeaning the players?

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Are you saying Leach was demeaning the players? He said they were dabbling in both the professional and amateur world which they are. That is the point that I'm making so how is that demeaning the players?
Nope, I am not saying Leach was demeaning the players.

When you said 'all these kids are out there with their hands out' and that kids are 'trying to get what they can', I took that as you viewing the player's position in a negative way. It seemed like you dont like the current setup and blame players for trying to maximize their situation.
You said you werent trying to demean the players though, so I acknowledges I misinterpreted your post. I now have no idea what the point of your earlier post was since I still read it as viewing players in a negative and greedy manner, but you clarified so here we are.

PirateDawg

Jan 9, 2020
Sorry for the misunderstanding. I don't blame anyone (kids with their hands out) for taking money given to them for their services. I blame the people giving them money for destroying an amateur sport (which is why I show such disdain for Saban). College football was supposed to be a game played between students of the respective schools. Because of the money involved it has become a semipro sport and isn't the sport intended. It has been going on for a long time in college football and basketball. Even Bear Bryant had his bag men.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Sorry for the misunderstanding. I don't blame anyone (kids with their hands out) for taking money given to them for their services. I blame the people giving them money for destroying an amateur sport (which is why I show such disdain for Saban). College football was supposed to be a game played between students of the respective schools. Because of the money involved it has become a semipro sport and isn't the sport intended. It has been going on for a long time in college football and basketball. Even Bear Bryant had his bag men.

Very true. I would be happy to follow MSU at a lesser level, as long as I could still watch the games. Thing is, if the money isnt involved, then access to watching games goes away. Tough catch-22.

PirateDawg

Jan 9, 2020
You are absolutely correct. We are powerless to break the monopoly schools have

primarily because they are the featured programs of the networks. ESPN wants a basketball NC game between Duke and Michigan. They don't want Mississippi State vs Iowa or Missouri vs Texas Tech. Demographics and money drive the ship and if you jump ship you drowned.

Very true. I would be happy to follow MSU at a lesser level, as long as I could still watch the games. Thing is, if the money isnt involved, then access to watching games goes away. Tough catch-22.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login