LSU cleaning up in the baseball portal…

patdog

May 28, 2007
You can’t find examples? Most of the pitchers who pitched the last month of the season were either a talent evaluation problem, a coaching problem of a recruiting problem. I get that we had some injuries. Guess what, teams have injuries sometimes. But the back end of your roster has to be better than that. It just has to.

And then we let Josh Hatcher go because “he had nowhere to play” for us when it’s pretty obvious he should have been our starting center fielder.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
You can’t find examples? Most of the pitchers who pitched the last month of the season were either a talent evaluation problem, a coaching problem of a recruiting problem. I get that we had some injuries. Guess what, teams have injuries sometimes. But the back end of your roster has to be better than that. It just has to.

And then we let Josh Hatcher go because “he had nowhere to play” for us when it’s pretty obvious he should have been our starting center fielder.

“Injuries happen sometimes” is the biggest understatement of the year when trying to condemn this team. I spelled this out a few weeks ago in another post, but we were essentially counting on something like the 10th, 11th, and 12th best pitchers on the roster on opening day to be serviceable bullpen arms over the 2nd half of the season. Nobody and I mean nobody in the SEC can do that. Not even LSU, Vandy, Florida, etc. Ole Miss has basically rode 4 or 5 arms to the CWS Finals over the past 6 weeks. How do you think they would have fared if 3 of those guys went down before mid-April, and one of those three was one of the most dominant pitchers in college baseball over the past 5 years or so?

And that’s a legit LOL on Hatcher. For one, he never played CF. Secondly, he hit, what, .175 last year? He’s just gonna go out there and cover all that ground and also add 100 points to his average? OK.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
I don't follow aTm much, but I thought I heard they have a ton of transfers

And also a lot of high school recruits that have panned out. The latter of which is what they will have to rely on as the backbone of their program going forward. No SEC team can just have a bad year and just say “17 it….we’ll just go get 9 better players than these ones we have from this list of refugees from other programs”

harrybollocks

Oct 11, 2012
"He can't resist change" doesn't mean "He is resisting change and needs to stop." Thus, you'll have to ask someone else to answer that question.

harrybollocks

Oct 11, 2012
I can't name a relief pitcher who showed the staff's ability to develop pitchers. Or, maybe they were struggling to begin with and we did develop them into becoming what we all watched. If so that would also mean poor talent evaluation. If some were recruited by others that also means a couple of other coaches may have missed on talent evaluation too. It happens sometimes, even to good coaches. I don't blame players and some highly recruited guys don't pan out. I don't really follow recruiting so I don't know who we beat out for players. These are young men who I hope improve and work out. LSU's pitchers didn't exactly light the world on fire. It happens. I noticed

WrapItDog

Aug 23, 2012
No SEC team can just have a bad year and just say “17 it….we’ll just go get 9 better players than these ones we have from this list of refugees from other programs”

Texas A&M just did that and played in the semi final of the CWS

Requiem For A Dawg

Dec 3, 2008

Lol what a take.

What did you see from him last year that led you to believe any of that?

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
You didn’t need a transfer portal or nil deal for Jeffrey Simmons to get offered a lot of money to go to bama or ole miss

I understand that. But you said “keep” Jeffery Simmons….which in the context of this discussion I understood to mean “keep him from transferring to a bigger program”. The infrastructure simply didn’t exist when he was here. No matter how unhappy they were, no SEC starters were sitting a year just to go to a bigger program, not worth the trade-off. If you meant “keep him privately committed” before he ever showed up, I’d say that’s not really keeping him. You don’t have anybody to keep until they sign the dotted line.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
I dont know that covid seniors are an issue with our staff roster numbers. Its really that we have gotten so little out of the class of 20 and 21.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login