Mainieri presser - ‘elephant in the room’ part….

92Pony

Joined Jan 18, 2011
Jan 20, 2022
I’m surprised it hasn’t been discussed much in here. CPM came right out and said he didn’t know how much longer he would be coaching…..

Did he Spurrier us right out the gate?

Or do you guys think the approach of having Lee as HCIW completely nullifies it?

Me, I know it’s a different sport, and a different time (with NIL, portal, etc), but I still wish he hadn’t said it out loud. There may indeed be some 3 or 4yr kids who decide to not be at a place where the head man may not be there their entire time, and he’ll surely be recruited against with that.
BUT, does his reputation/success outweigh that negative recruiting? I guess it’ll be interesting to see how things start shaking out.

Reactions: ComeOnYouSpurs

LexCock11

Joined Nov 26, 2018
Jan 30, 2022
I’m surprised it hasn’t been discussed much in here. CPM came right out and said he didn’t know how much longer he would be coaching…..

Or do you guys think the approach of having Lee as HCIW completely nullifies it?

Me, I know it’s a different sport, and a different time (with NIL, portal, etc), but I still wish he hadn’t said it out loud. There may indeed be some 3 or 4yr kids who decide to not be at a place where the head man may not be there their entire time, and he’ll surely be recruited against with that.
BUT, does his reputation/success outweigh that negative recruiting? I guess it’ll be interesting to see how things start shaking out.
I think you’re making too much out of it. Any coach could say that, and it’s an indefinite time period. And, FWIW, Lee is not officially a head coach in waiting - Tanner said that directly in an interview after the presser. What nullifies anything negative is Mainieri’s outstanding resume with all those wins, championships, & trips to Omaha. Kids want to play for a proven winner. Augie Garrido coached well into his 70’s. Bruce Pearl and John Calipari are well into their 60s and are actively coaching. People make too much out of age. Lee, Rooney, and Hendry are excellent recruiters and they will bring in great players regardless of what the other teams are saying.

gamecox4982

Jan 21, 2022
I believe Tanner was going to hire Monte from the start but got so much push back that he had to regroup. Now he hoping this goes well so promoting Monte will be easy.

Reactions: Forkcock

cocean

Feb 1, 2022
He's here to teach Monte new things. He will get us back to Omaha, and Monte will be a changed coach to take over. The end

Reactions: Cackmandu

Gamecock23

Jan 20, 2022
I hope that this works out. Coach Maineri went out on a 5 game skid to Tennessee (swept in 2021 regular season and lost 2 straight in Knoxville Super) after calling their fans out for being "nasty". (Kind of a "get off of my lawn" reaction after losing three in a row to UT in the regular season.) Hopefully he wants to redeem himself and enjoy a different going away party a few years down the road. My fingers are crossed that we don't have too many "cooks in the kitchen".
Retirement

CWW

Joined Dec 2, 2013
Feb 1, 2022
I believe Tanner was going to hire Monte from the start but got so much push back that he had to regroup. Now he hoping this goes well so promoting Monte will be easy.
I am not sure Tanner will be the AD when a change is made again in baseball. I think when Tanner’s contract is up…the Board maybe ready for a younger AD.

Reactions: gamecox4982
Mar 8, 2023
This is my thought as well.
But this has been disproven by several media reports and even Mainieri's discussion of how Ray was talking to him about different candidates. It's been documented that Louisville, ECU and WF coaches (and I think one more) were all contacted and I know at least 2 said "no."

Monte was probably the fallback. Mainieri didn't put a number of how long he would be coaching, but as long as he has four years on his contract, that's all recruits will look at and it's rare that a coach will ever have less than four years on his contract.

Mar 8, 2023
I am not sure Tanner will be the AD when a change is made again in baseball. I think when Tanner’s contract is up…the Board maybe ready for a younger AD.
I think Ray will retire within the next 2-3 years. He can already collect full retirement. If the board was that unhappy with him, he would have been gone a long time ago.

Reactions: atl-cock

CWW

Joined Dec 2, 2013
Feb 1, 2022
I think Ray will retire within the next 2-3 years. He can already collect full retirement. If the board was that unhappy with him, he would have been gone a long time ago.
Someone said Tanner’s contact was to 2026…I think by them…Carolina will just graciously not renew his contract.

Last edited:

Carolina Doc

Joined Aug 16, 2019
Jan 25, 2022
The board is not serious about winning.
You are probably talking about money, and you aren't completely wrong, but we also can't be like those reckless schools that throw insane amounts of money at coaches and really don't get much in return. I don't want to be one of those schools.

Reactions: Sweetwatergolf

Forkcock

Jan 21, 2022
I’m not sure why but this reminds me of the Cremins hire. I’m good with it as long as he’s committed.

Atlanta Cock

Jan 18, 2022
I’m not sure why but this reminds me of the Cremins hire. I’m good with it as long as he’s committed.
He’s not. He gets to pocket a few extra bucks b4 final retirement and gets to work for a ______ who doesn’t demand excellence. Great gig for him.

Reactions: ComeOnYouSpurs

Gamecock Jacque

Joined Dec 20, 2020
Jan 30, 2022
You are probably talking about money, and you aren't completely wrong, but we also can't be like those reckless schools that throw insane amounts of money at coaches and really don't get much in return. I don't want to be one of those schools.
Money is always an issue but not what i was referring to.

Reactions: Carolina Doc

Blues man

Joined Jul 1, 2009
Jan 22, 2022
I would like to think the time Lee spends here over the next couple of years makes him a better ball coach. All said and done, he should have one of the best resumes in baseball. That said, it will be interesting to see if he improves our 170th ranked team batting average... like immediately. That's just not gonna fly and that's probably how he should be judged.

Sweetwatergolf

Jan 20, 2022
I would like to think the time Lee spends here over the next couple of years makes him a better ball coach. All said and done, he should have one of the best resumes in baseball. That said, it will be interesting to see if he improves our 170th ranked team batting average... like immediately. That's just not gonna fly and that's probably how he should be judged.
I've posted before wondering how much MK influenced ML and the batting approach. Maybe player personnel wasn't a fit etc. I think PM input will eventually make improvements from our last several years.

Reactions: Blues man

Blues man

Joined Jul 1, 2009
Jan 22, 2022
I've posted before wondering how much MK influenced ML and the batting approach. Maybe player personnel wasn't a fit etc. I think PM input will eventually make improvements from our last several years.
I'm hoping the plate approach was all on MK and ML was more on the mechanics side but time will tell. I do feel confident we'll be better off getting the right players in here for what we want to do and be with PM at the helm and not so much a square peg in a round hole type players for us like with MK. But we will see with that as well, the numbers wont lie.

They probably shouldn't have said anything about ML being the heir apparent. I know I'll be keeping a closer eye on him now. lol

FreehawkJr

Joined Jun 1, 1998 • Garnet Trust Supporter
Jan 18, 2022

Boo