Man forced to ditch Ford EV truck during family road trip to Chicago: ‘biggest scam of modern times’

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bulldog45

Oct 2, 2018

I can’t take it to my lake cabin. I cannot take it for off-grid camping. I cannot take for even a road trip," Bala wrote. "I can only drive in city – biggest scam of modern times."

Kind of lends some credibility to the line of thought that the ultimate goal is to force people into population centers where they are more controllable.

TrueMaroonGrind

Jan 6, 2017
Bala is mad because he is not very smart. The Ford lightening has a paltry 230 mile range. He tried to take a 1400 mile family trip across nowhere Canada and North Dakota. The charging infrastructure will not be great up there as Bala found out.

Conclusion: Ford Lightening is probably the worst EV to take on a road trip currently and Bala is an idiot.

BoDawg.sixpack

Feb 5, 2010
I thought they had figured out the charging times to get it under an hour at the supercharging stations. That was the most glaring deficiency in the article. But my hot take is if it takes more than a hour to charge a cellphone that's at 1% it's going to take at least that long to charge an EV. Ford is still retaining it's moniker as Found on Roadside Discharged.

PS - based on the loss Ford reported last quarter in its EV division it's not surprising to me no one from the company tried to help him.

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
Dude would probably make a Vince Young on the Wonderlic.

It's plainly stated in everything you read about the truck. On a full charge it will only travel 230 miles... less if you tow, haul, have multiple passengers, use the heat/AC or if it's a cool, crisp fall day.

Ford created a product, told him exactly what it was, put a price on it.. and he still bought it. .......Joke's on him.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
He's not wrong. They're worthless. Expensive as hell, don't even make a dent in climate change.
I don't think that they are worthless but they are far from practical for the average car owner that doesn't live in a confined geographic area. The electric auto won't become practical until some sort of wireless charging is embedded in the roadways themselves.

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
This is the equivalent of buying a 20 foot ski boat and saying it’s worthless because it won’t go 30 miles out in the gulf to fish.

I have a V8 ram. It gets about 14 to 15 miles to the gallon. I have no plans of getting anything else anytime soon. In Europe, they have the infrastructure to where it’s easy to own an electric vehicle. We are nowhere close here yet. If someone wants one, awesome. I personally would love to have one, but will not touch one until the infrastructure is there. I suspect that will happen within the next 10 to 20 years. The vehicles aren’t the problem. It’s the infrastructure.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
This is the equivalent of buying a 20 foot ski boat and saying it’s worthless because it won’t go 30 miles out in the gulf to fish.

I have a V8 ram. It gets about 14 to 15 miles to the gallon. I have no plans of getting anything else anytime soon. In Europe, they have the infrastructure to where it’s easy to own an electric vehicle. We are nowhere close here yet. If someone wants one, awesome. I personally would love to have one, but will not touch one until the infrastructure is there. I suspect that will happen within the next 10 to 20 years. The vehicles aren’t the problem. It’s the infrastructure.
Even with the infrastructure I'm not going on a trip in an EV. We visit family in Central FL. It is an 11 hour trip. No way I'm turning it into a 20 hour trip.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
I don't think that they are worthless but they are far from practical for the average car owner that doesn't live in a confined geographic area. The electric auto won't become practical until some sort of wireless charging is embedded in the roadways themselves.
Or a self-charging system is built into the car, which should've already been done really. Then, I won't call them worthless. But somebody has to make money, so that won't happen.

T-TownDawgg

Nov 4, 2015
Couple things:
1) When I read this guy was buying a 100k truck because of “environmental responsibility” and being a “good citizen” I knew he’s an idiot.
2) That was the third time this week I’ve heard that the fast charge cost was either comparable or more expensive than filling a tank of gasoline. I don’t know if that’s true or not, but even if it is only true in certain areas of the country, that’s a back breaker for EVs.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Every time I read stories like this, I just think what the hell did you think might happen? Long road trips in an EV are an invitation to a lot of trouble and possible disaster. Even in the best of circumstances, you're inconvenienced by being at the mercy of your car's computer as to when and where to stop to recharge, and you're turning a 5 minute stop into at least a half hour. If you want an EV and want to take long trips, get a hybrid or a plug-in hybrid.

patdog

May 28, 2007
In Europe, they have the infrastructure to where it’s easy to own an electric vehicle.
they really don’t. They’re struggling with the EV mandates too. VW recently had to shut down its biggest EV plant in Germany for 6 weeks, citing “extreme customer reluctance.”

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Kind of lends some credibility to the line of thought that the ultimate goal is to force people into population centers where they are more controllable.
I’m not an EV guy. But, I’m even less of a conspiracy guy. Who, exactly, has it as a secret, or spoken, agenda item to “force people into population centers” to make them “controllable”? If you seriously think this or entertain this as a reality, you need to consider why. It’s nonsense.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
they really don’t. They’re struggling with the EV mandates too. VW recently had to shut down its biggest EV plant in Germany for 6 weeks, citing “extreme customer reluctance.”
people really want a car that will do everything they need. in theory a lot of people drive more than 200 miles rarely enough that they could rent an ice car for those occasions, but people don’t want to do that. Just like a lot of truck owners use their bed (in a way that couldn’t be accomplished by a trunk) rarely enough that they could rent a truck when they really needed it. As long as that’s the case, EVs are mainly going to be second cars. if they can get a reasonably priced EV with a seven seat capacity, I think that is when they’ll really take off as second cars.

BoDawg.sixpack

Feb 5, 2010
Dude would probably make a Vince Young on the Wonderlic.

It's plainly stated in everything you read about the truck. On a full charge it will only travel 230 miles... less if you tow, haul, have multiple passengers, use the heat/AC or if it's a cool, crisp fall day.

Ford created a product, told him exactly what it was, put a price on it.. and he still bought it. .......Joke's on him
Did Ford tell him his vehicle would be in the shop for six months if he had a "minor" accident? You know the old saying...time is money.

Reactions: patdog

patdog

May 28, 2007
people really want a car that will do everything they need. in theory a lot of people drive more than 200 miles rarely enough that they could rent an ice car for those occasions, but people don’t want to do that. Just like a lot of truck owners use their bed (in a way that couldn’t be accomplished by a trunk) rarely enough that they could rent a truck when they really needed it. As long as that’s the case, EVs are mainly going to be second cars. if they can get a reasonably priced EV with a seven seat capacity, I think that is when they’ll really take off as second cars.
An EV for a 2nd car for around town and short trips could be a good choice for a lot of people.

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
Or a self-charging system is built into the car, which should've already been done really. Then, I won't call them worthless. But somebody has to make money, so that won't happen.
Almost like a devices that alternates mechanical energy into power and would charge as you drive. This could take decades of research to find!**

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I’m not an EV guy. But, I’m even less of a conspiracy guy. Who, exactly, has it as a secret, or spoken, agenda item to “force people into population centers” to make them “controllable”? If you seriously think this or entertain this as a reality, you need to consider why. It’s nonsense.
There are people that want to nudge/force more people into urban living for allegedly environmental reasons but really just because they think urban living is superior and that people don’t know what’s good for them and will be better off in a city. They don’t have an explicit goal of making people controllable but they do have a deep desire to control people. Same as the impulse behind all the counterproductive environmental things we do. Part of it is just a symbolic sacrifice to gaia, part is it scratches that itch to force other people to submit.

Faustdog

Jun 4, 2007

1. This guy is really dumb. And this is a dumb story. I've rented Teslas on a couple of trips out west. Long range trips are doable but definitely take planning. Those vehicles are almost perfect for city driving.

2. It cracks me up when I see someone who barely made it out of high school all excited that they saw an EV on the side of the road, as if you don't see some dummy out of gas on the side of the road nearly every day of your life.

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
EV's helping the environment is one of the biggest scams ever. All they do is transfer most of the pollution and destruction from your upper middle class suburb to a third world country. Google lithium mines. Then when you charge your car here it plugs into the existing power grid which is more than likely a coal power plant. If you want one because you hate gas prices or just like the idea of owning one then more power to you. But if you think your purchase is saving the planet then I'd like to talk to you about a bridge I have for sale.

Bulldog45

Oct 2, 2018
You can have your opinion and others can have theirs. No need to get worked up about it.

T-TownDawgg

Nov 4, 2015
You can have your opinion and others can have theirs. No need to get worked up about it.
I can’t give the government credit for that kind of planning and execution. They can’t balance a damn checkbook.

The EV mandates are simply a bunch of politicians bought and paid for by China, the largest lithium refiner in the world, and validated by climate change advocates that blindly cheer on any mandates that counter fossil fuels.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
EV's helping the environment is one of the biggest scams ever. All they do is transfer most of the pollution and destruction from your upper middle class suburb to a third world country. Google lithium mines. Then when you charge your car here it plugs into the existing power grid which is more than likely a coal power plant. If you want one because you hate gas prices or just like the idea of owning one then more power to you. But if you think your purchase is saving the planet then I'd like to talk to you about a bridge I have for sale.
Transporting emissions from the tailpipe to a coal plant is probably a win, and definitely a win if you move it to a natural gas cc. The environmental angle is definitely over hyped, but there are some benefits. If we made mining easier in developed countries and built more nuclear plants, there’d be some pretty real benefits available. Even if we keep the mining in third world countries, you are trading air pollution for localized water and to a lesser extent air pollution.

Bulldog45

Oct 2, 2018
I can’t give the government credit for that kind of planning and execution. They can’t balance a damn checkbook.

The EV mandates are simply a bunch of politicians bought and paid for by China, the largest lithium refiner in the world, and validated by climate change advocates that blindly cheer on any mandates that counter fossil fuels.
Kind of like Pelosi’s kid getting into the lithium battery business a few years ago.

December 15, 2020

As Altair expands the breadth of its operations, from mining to lithium refinement and battery technologies, Mr. Paul Pelosi Jr. will be working directly with our management to further our expansion efforts.

January 20, 2021
St-Georges Eco-Mining Corp. (CSE:SX) (OTC:SXOOF) (CNSX:SX.CN) (FSE:85G1) is pleased to welcome Mr. Paul Pelosi, Jr. as a Director and the President of St-Georges’ new subsidiary, EVSX Corp. which is dedicated to electric vehicle battery recycling and future partnerships in the development of lithium mineral resources.

Paul’s expertise in green technology, eco-responsible investments, and regulatory governmental environmental legislative framework will play a critical role in developing and deploying St-Georges’ lithium mineral processing technology and EV battery recycling technology initiative.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Why can't they just put a small wind turbine in it, put the fan where the fan goes on a gas burning car, and the wind make the fan turn while going down the road turning the turbine recharging the battery?

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I agree with you. I don't believe that either. I do think the current White House policies are forcing Americans into EV's and most Americans don't want them.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007

Kinda looks like China is taking the money we spend on solar panels and building nuclear plants...while we build NONE.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Hybrid vehicle designs make much more sense. You’re killing two birds with one stone by driving down fossil fuel consumption but still have the ability to use it on long trips after the battery is exhausted and it charges the battery while driving.

This EV fad was an idiotic knee jerk reaction that went too far.

T-TownDawgg

Nov 4, 2015
Hybrid vehicle designs make much more sense. You’re killing two birds with one stone by driving down fossil fuel consumption but still have the ability to use it on long trips after the battery is exhausted and it charges the battery while driving.

This EV fad was an idiotic knee jerk reaction that went too far.
As a farmer, what are you hearing or seeing about electric farm equipment? I’m seeing a big push at some trade shows, but I’m more skeptical about farming/mining equipment going electric than passenger vehicles.

MrKotter

Aug 22, 2012
You may want to pay more attention to what is said at the WEF get togethers and make your own mind up about how these people think you should be treated

Reactions: engie and Muttley

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
As a farmer, what are you hearing or seeing about electric farm equipment? I’m seeing a big push at some trade shows, but I’m more skeptical about farming/mining equipment going electric than passenger vehicles.
The "electric" bulldozers that Caterpillar has been making for years are actually mini locomotives on bulldozer tracks. Diesel powered generators powering electric drive motors.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007

I want the EV to work but it has too many problems for the government to be telling us, that is our only choice. I'm optimistic that they will come up with enhancements that will make EVs a solid alternative. It's very irresponsible for the government to tell us, we have to dump our gas vehicles for these electric vehicles having so many issues. I think you're going to see California have to revise their gas laws they recently passed or else they're going to be fighting over used cars going out of state to find vehicles.

Reactions: patdog

Captain Ron

Aug 22, 2012
From someone who has owned an EV for over 5 years now, a couple points.

If you have short range car (<240mi) , you are absolutely going to spend a lot of time charging on a road trip that exceeds by more than about 50%.

On the other hand, with a longer range car like my Model 3, you have 4 hours of non stop driving time or 280mi at 70mph. To go an additional 220mi at that point, WILL take about 20-30 minutes. In my case, I could care less because I am gonna need the RR and a snack. If You tend to stop more often, you will actually probably not notice much a of a difference in wait times as each little break you will have added 60-80 miles. That being said, if you are the type that will pee in a cup to save time, there is no doubt it will make the trip longer in an EV.

Gas vs charge? At the charging stations, prices can vary just like gas. In FL, there isn’t a huge spread in price at the moment, although prices are going up and power is not. In GA and AL it was much cheaper than gas. The big difference comes at home where most people will do most of their charging. It is much cheaper than a gallon of gas plugged in at home, in the southeast anyway.

It is not for everybody, but it also isn’t just a commuter car if it has long range and “real“ fast charging capability. (Tesla) I can also say that I bet I have spent less time actively charging than most people have actively fueling because 95% of my charging is at home and it takes me about 5 seconds to plug in and I am done. I always start out with a full tank of “gas” to start the day if I so choose.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Outside of your conspiracy theory, it does seem like the answer for someone who lives in a city doing a lot of stop and go whipping around town, but yet wants to have a truck.

But back to the OP/article - this Bala guy is a grade A moron. Wake the 17 up dude

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login