Man forced to ditch Ford EV truck during family road trip to Chicago: ‘biggest scam of modern times’

Status
Not open for further replies.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
My all electric lawn equipment, Ego mower, trimmer, edger and blower, are great. My electric robo mower works great as well. I ditched gas 5 years ago.

But, now that I think about it, is Buccees is in on the conspiracy to push people to electric vehicles? They have charging stations and big stores that keep people occupied long enough to charge a vehicle. Maybe they'll get tax breaks to build a new Buccees every 200 or so miles and one day they'll shut down all of those gas pumps except for a few that will be labelled only for their corporate bosses and China's political leaders.

• Haha
Reactions: patdog

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
From someone who has owned an EV for over 5 years now, a couple points.

If you have short range car (<240mi) , you are absolutely going to spend a lot of time charging on a road trip that exceeds by more than about 50%.

On the other hand, with a longer range car like my Model 3, you have 4 hours of non stop driving time or 280mi at 70mph. To go an additional 220mi at that point, WILL take about 20-30 minutes. In my case, I could care less because I am gonna need the RR and a snack. If You tend to stop more often, you will actually probably not notice much a of a difference in wait times as each little break you will have added 60-80 miles. That being said, if you are the type that will pee in a cup to save time, there is no doubt it will make the trip longer in an EV.

Gas vs charge? At the charging stations, prices can vary just like gas. In FL, there isn’t a huge spread in price at the moment, although prices are going up and power is not. In GA and AL it was much cheaper than gas. The big difference comes at home where most people will do most of their charging. It is much cheaper than a gallon of gas plugged in at home, in the southeast anyway.

It is not for everybody, but it also isn’t just a commuter car if it has long range and “real“ fast charging capability. (Tesla) I can also say that I bet I have spent less time actively charging than most people have actively fueling because 95% of my charging is at home and it takes me about 5 seconds to plug in and I am done. I always start out with a full tank of “gas” to start the day if I so choose.
What is this reasonable take doing on here? In-law has a Tesla and likes it. He takes it on a few semi-long trips and enjoys the charging breaks while travelling.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
As a farmer, what are you hearing or seeing about electric farm equipment? I’m seeing a big push at some trade shows, but I’m more skeptical about farming/mining equipment going electric than passenger vehicles.
On a small farm or ranch I could see MAYBE having an EV tractor but if you’re using high horsepower tractors pulling heavy equipment it’s not even remotely feasible.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I have heard China builds 30 plus new coal plants every year.
China has more coal plants than the rest of the world combined. And almost all new coal plants are being built in China.

which is one big reason whatever we do to go “clean energy,” it really won’t matter much.

Last edited:

TrueMaroonGrind

Jan 6, 2017
As a farmer, what are you hearing or seeing about electric farm equipment? I’m seeing a big push at some trade shows, but I’m more skeptical about farming/mining equipment going electric than passenger vehicles.
There is the same push for SEMI trucks. The technology isn’t there yet. Battery technology would have to improve dramatically.

Johnnie Come Lately

Nov 4, 2022
I’m not an EV guy. But, I’m even less of a conspiracy guy. Who, exactly, has it as a secret, or spoken, agenda item to “force people into population centers” to make them “controllable”? If you seriously think this or entertain this as a reality, you need to consider why. It’s nonsense.
I am always amazed at how paranoid some people can be. I don't understand how some of manage to leave their own home or take a drink of water.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
You may want to pay more attention to what is said at the WEF get togethers and make your own mind up about how these people think you should be treated
Speaking of conspiracies, any chance you managed to get a source for your repeated claim that My Pillow guy is worth more now?
Again, it may be true, but it's certainly not easy to verify and it seems suspect since he had to sell properties to even generate cash flow.

Reactions: ChE1997

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
China has more coal plants than the rest of the world combined. And almost all new coal plants are being built in China.

which is one big reason whatever we do to go “clean energy,” it really won’t matter much.
"it really won’t matter much." Except to our economy.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
If they had message boards in the 1970’s I’m sure there would have been a thread about how a man’s cross country road trip was ruined by a Ford Pinto.

• Haha

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Kind of lends some credibility to the line of thought that the ultimate goal is to force people into population centers where they are more controllable.
You can have your opinion and others can have theirs. No need to get worked up about it.
Everyone can have their opinions, yes.
But when opinions are shared, they are then considered by others. And when they make 0 sense, they are questioned.
That's how conversation works.

Your opinion is that because this guy bought an EV with a short driving range resulting in him not easily reaching remote destinations, it supports a conspiracy theory that there is some ultimate goal for people to be easily controlled and packed into population centers?

...like...wt17? That is so disconnected that the only way someone can draw such a conclusion is if they just really want to force the conspiracy into the conversation.
The guy bought a vehicle with a limited driving range...that doesn't prove there is a conspiracy to force everyone to be controlled and in a population center. What it does prove is the buyer didn't purchase the right vehicle for his needs.

This forum has way more Mulders than it should.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
An EV for a 2nd car for around town and short trips could be a good choice for a lot of people.
At this point, that’s about all they can be dependable for. I wouldn’t be opposed to owning one in the future, assuming charging times become less and stations are more frequent. But I’m not a have a car for around town type guy, and I’d imagine most aren’t.

Reactions: ChE1997 and patdog

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
From someone who has owned an EV for over 5 years now, a couple points.

If you have short range car (<240mi) , you are absolutely going to spend a lot of time charging on a road trip that exceeds by more than about 50%.

On the other hand, with a longer range car like my Model 3, you have 4 hours of non stop driving time or 280mi at 70mph. To go an additional 220mi at that point, WILL take about 20-30 minutes. In my case, I could care less because I am gonna need the RR and a snack. If You tend to stop more often, you will actually probably not notice much a of a difference in wait times as each little break you will have added 60-80 miles. That being said, if you are the type that will pee in a cup to save time, there is no doubt it will make the trip longer in an EV.

Gas vs charge? At the charging stations, prices can vary just like gas. In FL, there isn’t a huge spread in price at the moment, although prices are going up and power is not. In GA and AL it was much cheaper than gas. The big difference comes at home where most people will do most of their charging. It is much cheaper than a gallon of gas plugged in at home, in the southeast anyway.

It is not for everybody, but it also isn’t just a commuter car if it has long range and “real“ fast charging capability. (Tesla) I can also say that I bet I have spent less time actively charging than most people have actively fueling because 95% of my charging is at home and it takes me about 5 seconds to plug in and I am done. I always start out with a full tank of “gas” to start the day if I so choose.
How dare you speak from experience rather than outrage

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
You may want to pay more attention to what is said at the WEF get togethers and make your own mind up about how these people think you should be treated
Since I’m not familiar with your reference can you link me something reputable that supports the OP’s conspiracy theory?

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Hybrid vehicle designs make much more sense. You’re killing two birds with one stone by driving down fossil fuel consumption but still have the ability to use it on long trips after the battery is exhausted and it charges the battery while driving.

This EV fad was an idiotic knee jerk reaction that went too far.
I think Toyota has had the most level headed approach so far. Hybrid focus until something changes to make EVs make more sense for widespread use. I don’t personally care. To me an EV is just another car choice.

Being that I own only two different cars, there are at least hundreds of different cars that I’ve not chosen to buy. None of them give me any angst. I also don’t care if my neighbors build a different style house than mine, paint it a different color, etc.

Reactions: ckDOG and patdog

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
It's not hard to find people who want to influence others. It's not hard to find government officials who want to influence others. It's not hard to find financial elites who want to influence others. They exist. That doesn't mean there's some elaborate conspiracy to control us. Do government officials want us to reduce carbon emissions? Sure. Is that a sign of a conspiracy to control us and restrict our freedom? That's just how government works and has worked throughout history. I want to control, to some degree, my wife and kids. It doesn't always work and I notice that whenever I see my credit card bill.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
I want the EV to work but it has too many problems for the government to be telling us, that is our only choice. I'm optimistic that they will come up with enhancements that will make EVs a solid alternative. It's very irresponsible for the government to tell us, we have to dump our gas vehicles for these electric vehicles having so many issues. I think you're going to see California have to revise their gas laws they recently passed or else they're going to be fighting over used cars going out of state to find vehicles.
I agree with this sentiment and I’ve also seen where government mandates that were ahead of technology have driven R&D to develop what was needed to comply. It seems that often the only way to get corporations to focus on anything other than next quarters profit and shareholder sentiment is by mandate. I struggle with idea of keeping government out of private business vs keeping private business fro running roughshod over everything in its path. No easy answers…

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
I think Toyota has had the most level headed approach so far. Hybrid focus until something changes to make EVs make more sense for widespread use. I don’t personally care. To me an EV is just another car choice.

Being that I own only two different cars, there are at least hundreds of different cars that I’ve not chosen to buy. None of them give me any angst. I also don’t care if my neighbors build a different style house than mine, paint it a different color, etc.
Politicians like to say things to appeal to the base. Biden sets a deadline for EV's that I'd bet money won't be met, but the greenies love it. Trump said he would build a wall and have Mexico pay for it and we know how that went. But,it does allow some to say the other side wants to control us. Of course, you better run for your lives because they're coming for your gas stoves.*** Yes I'm aware a few people have complained about gas stoves.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Did Ford tell him his vehicle would be in the shop for six months if he had a "minor" accident? You know the old saying...time is money.
That’s the most disturbing part of the story to me. That sux!

My theory: dude wanted a Lightning because it’s fast or whatever, worked hard on the wife to allow him to spend 6 figures on it, it’s their only new vehicle and wife says let’s go to Detroit. Dude has no choice. He’s spent all their car money on the Lightning. He’s screwed. Now he’s pissed because his truck sucks for his use case, his wife cut him off and he’s sleeping on the couch and he’s broke. I’d be yelling from the rooftops as well!

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
There are people that want to nudge/force more people into urban living for allegedly environmental reasons but really just because they think urban living is superior and that people don’t know what’s good for them and will be better off in a city. They don’t have an explicit goal of making people controllable but they do have a deep desire to control people. Same as the impulse behind all the counterproductive environmental things we do. Part of it is just a symbolic sacrifice to gaia, part is it scratches that itch to force other people to submit.
That’s a reasonable take. Also, lots of people need to validate their own choices by trying to get others to agree/comply with them as well. I still can’t correlate those opinions to either a conspiracy that has any real chance, nor can I reconcile exactly what kind of “control” they might expect to exhibit over me if I moved from a rural county in MS to say NYNY? Just control via local governance rules?

The way I interpreted the OP was more Apple 1984 ad like…

1691862631169.png

MrKotter

Aug 22, 2012
Since I’m not familiar with your reference can you link me something reputable that supports the OP’s conspiracy theory?
Instead of continuing to refer to it as a conspiracy theory, take the time and read up on the WEF and its private jet flying members. They recently called for a reduction of private vehicle ownership by 90% which supports the "conspiracy theory" posted. If you are not familiar with them it won't hurt you to learn about them.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I agree with this sentiment and I’ve also seen where government mandates that were ahead of technology have driven R&D to develop what was needed to comply. It seems that often the only way to get corporations to focus on anything other than next quarters profit and shareholder sentiment is by mandate. I struggle with idea of keeping government out of private business vs keeping private business fro running roughshod over everything in its path. No easy answers…
I remember when I was a kid hearing people joking about owning an electric car, that was just experimental then I wondered what would they have sad if I told them that eventually our government will make us all buy an electric car. I also wonder what folks would have said back in the 70s when they were waiting in line to gas their vehicle that one day they would have to wait a line to charge their cars instead.

Imagine trying to explain a Buccee's.

I'm still waiting on that flying car.

## sorry for the huge mistake

Last edited:
Reactions: horshack.sixpack

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Instead of continuing to refer to it as a conspiracy theory, take the time and read up on the WEF and its private jet flying members. They recently called for a reduction of private vehicle ownership by 90% which supports the "conspiracy theory" posted. If you are not familiar with them it won't hurt you to learn about them.
Thank you. I’ll read. That sounds like a group with opinions and a desire to make change that suits their opinions, so not a conspiracy. However, the world is full of groups with initiatives and opinions I disagree with. I don’t get too worked up over that or I’d be perpetually pissed off.

Reactions: mstateglfr

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
I remember when I was a kid hearing people joking about owning an electric car, that was just experimental then, that eventually our government will make us all buy an electric car. I also wonder what folks would have said back in the 70s when they were waiting in line to gas their vehicle that one day they would have to wait a line to charge their cars instead.

Imagine trying to explain a Buccee's.

I'm still waiting on that flying car.
Jetsons or bust!

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Couple things:
1) When I read this guy was buying a 100k truck because of “environmental responsibility” and being a “good citizen” I knew he’s an idiot.
2) That was the third time this week I’ve heard that the fast charge cost was either comparable or more expensive than filling a tank of gasoline. I don’t know if that’s true or not, but even if it is only true in certain areas of the country, that’s a back breaker for EVs.

On #1, I agree.

On #2, its more expensive on a per-mile basis for the Lightning, because it has a crappy range. I don’t think its true at all for the sedans and other passenger EV’s….especially in places like California where gas is still $5 per gallon currently.

Reactions: drumrcraig

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Mr. Kotter,

I hope there is not a deadline on this reading assignment. There are nearly 1300 articles on “Cities and Urbanization “… if you know of a specific one that supports the OP argument for control I’ll start there, but regardless I appreciate the reference. Looks like a lot of interesting stuff.

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/

Reactions: ChE1997

Muttley

Aug 22, 2012
Thank you. I’ll read. That sounds like a group with opinions and a desire to make change that suits their opinions, so not a conspiracy. However, the world is full of groups with initiatives and opinions I disagree with. I don’t get too worked up over that or I’d be perpetually pissed off.

Mr. Kotter,

I hope there is not a deadline on this reading assignment. There are nearly 1300 articles on “Cities and Urbanization “… if you know of a specific one that supports the OP argument for control I’ll start there, but regardless I appreciate the reference. Looks like a lot of interesting stuff.

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/
You could do a search for Klaus Schwab and Yuval Noah Harari, Schwab is the top guy and Harari is one of his top advisers. I don't know how much actual influence they have world wide, but there are MANY world leaders that attend their conferences.

Reactions: horshack.sixpack

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
"On #2, its more expensive on a per-mile basis for the Lightning, because it has a crappy range. I don’t think its true at all for the sedans and other passenger EV’s….especially in places like California where gas is still $5 per gallon currently."

IMO there is no way in the world that Fed and State governments will not take the opportunity to "equalize" (if there is a savings) the expense of driving an EV with that of driving an ICE vehicle through various property and usage taxes taxes so you are "no worse off" than you were at some point.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Most cities are limiting traffic inside the actual cities. EVs are fairly pointless.
An EV is not fairly pointless, even if most cities were limiting traffic inside the actual city limits, which is happening.

An EV can be an excellent option if someone drives 50 or fewer miles each day, has access to nightly charging, and has a second vehicle that is easily able to handle the rare longer distance trips families take.
^ that scenario covers a huge % of multi-vehicle families, to be clear.
The operating costs can be lower and useage can be more convenient.

It's almost as if EV is just a other option and there is no singular right or wrong option for everyone.
Unleaded, diesel, EV, hybrid, Yada Yada. Many options available which allows consumers to pick what works best for them.

Reactions: ChE1997 and patdog

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008

Is this what you are referring to?
It's just a hopeful article from 7 years ago that talks about block chain and self driving cars being the future. None of that has come close to true so far.

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
I am always amazed at how paranoid some people can be. I don't understand how some of manage to leave their own home or take a drink of water.
It's incredibly obvious, isn't it? A foreign substance is introduced into our precious bodily fluids, without the knowledge of the individual, certainly without any choice. That's the way your hard-core Commie works.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
"On #2, its more expensive on a per-mile basis for the Lightning, because it has a crappy range. I don’t think its true at all for the sedans and other passenger EV’s….especially in places like California where gas is still $5 per gallon currently."

IMO there is no way in the world that Fed and State governments will not take the opportunity to "equalize" (if there is a savings) the expense of driving an EV with that of driving an ICE vehicle through various property and usage taxes taxes so you are "no worse off" than you were at some point.
There’s not a ton of basis to that. But if they do, it’s happening anyway regardless of what car you have, at least in regards to property taxes. And it’s not something that can happen without going through the voters. So, if the Republican controlled legislature in MS votes in a higher tax rate on charging than fill-up, anyone who votes Republican in MS can’t turn around and ***** about EV’s and “big government” when they themselves brought on the problem.

It also is likely that the flat taxes on charging will be around the same as a full tank of gas, however that works out percentage-wise for that to happen. But that still doesn’t mean that charging won’t be way cheaper than filling up for an overwhelming majority of vehicles.

T-TownDawgg

Nov 4, 2015
This chart is exactly what I like about EVs. The efficiency, and the fact that the fuel distribution system already exists in our own homes. Elon spoke about this years ago, and it’s what got me thinking about buying an EV for short trip commuting.

The part that’s lacking is when EVs go mainstream-majority, and infrastructure can’t handle it. I personally believe that until this impotent gutless hypocritical jackazz government starts green lighting more nuclear power plants, grid and substation upgrades, these idiotic mandates are political and environmental posturing.

HammerOfTheDogs

Aug 6, 2004
I’m not an EV guy. But, I’m even less of a conspiracy guy. Who, exactly, has it as a secret, or spoken, agenda item to “force people into population centers” to make them “controllable”? If you seriously think this or entertain this as a reality, you need to consider why. It’s nonsense.
I believe there are folks that would love to force everyone to use mass transportation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login