Matt Wyatt.. "Run tell em all I said it".

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
I don't know but 9 times out of 10 I agree with him. A lot of us here have been saying the same thing. I don't know who was in Arnetts ear telling him to make those moves or if it was his idea but it was career suicide. I was smart enough to realize that was a mistake so surely any real football guy should have known it. A slow transition maybe but not a hard right turn

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
I don't know but 9 times out of 10 I agree with him. A lot of us here have been saying the same thing. I don't know who was in Arnetts ear telling him to make those moves or if it was his idea but it was career suicide. I was smart enough to realize that was a mistake so surely any real football guy should have known it. A slow transition maybe but not a hard right turn

According to Matt, the whole Offensive staff wanted to stay.

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
Barbay did not cost Arnett his job. If anything, it’s been the struggles on defensive side that has hurt him.

If we were losing games 17-10, and we were all saying “this defense is for real” - he would be returning in 2024. Especially when you consider Will and Woody’s injuries.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
Barbay did not cost Arnett his job. If anything, it’s been the struggles on defensive side that has hurt him.

If we were losing games 17-10, and we were all saying “this defense is for real” - he would be returning in 2024. Especially when you consider Will and Woody’s injuries.
Sorry the offense is bad. It's worse than bad and our former QB is telling you it was and it was a stupid mistake to fire the staff.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012

I don't think he could've withstood the level of incompetence this offense brought.

Reactions: mo7888

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
More.

"I know for a fact Rogers turned down a lot to stay here. Turned down offers. One was right here is the SEC on the plains."

The "Rogers sucks" crowd is so misguided.
But they convinced themselves they were right. As it turns out, the experiment happened and they were proven to be totally wrong.

And the experiment showed the Air Raid worked here and we had personnel to run it.

But, does Wyatt really know college football and MS State better than a random poster here? Why trust him?***

Auburn would have had a good shot at beating Ole Miss and TAMU with Rogers at QB.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
"I know for a fact Rogers turned down a lot to stay here. Turned down offers. One was right here is the SEC on the plains."
That's just idiocy from C34. There's no way a QB who can't evade a sloth would work in Freeze's offense. I'm not saying they wouldn't offer him a small deal (but bigger than what we could offer) just to give them depth and hurt us, but he would be a worse fit in that offense than in officer Barbray's offense.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
More.

The "Rogers sucks" crowd is so misguided.
Yup. Rogers is limited in some significant ways, but he is a tool that a good offensive coach would be able to utilize. As much as I hate Freeze, I feel pretty confident he could have made his offense work with Rogers.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
But they convinced themselves they were right. As it turns out, the experiment happened and they were proven to be totally wrong.

And the experiment showed the Air Raid worked here and we had personnel to run it.

But, does Wyatt really know college football and MS State better than a random poster here? Why trust him?***

Auburn would have had a good shot at beating Ole Miss and TAMU with Rogers at QB.
And there is no doubt he would have started there.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
That's just idiocy from C34. There's no way a QB who can't evade a sloth would work in Freeze's offense. I'm not saying they wouldn't offer him a small deal (but bigger than what we could offer) just to give them depth and hurt us, but he would be a worse fit in that offense than in officer Barbray's offense.
The issue here is that it's not C34 stating it. It's Matt Wyatt and the people that cover MSU sports.
Your stance is exactly what C34 put out there. In fact, he worked hard to undermine the confidence in Leach.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
I wonder how many of these guys are pissed in an "I didn't sign up for this" way, especially those who could have gone elsewhere. Imagine being in your last semester and you're told your senior project is gonna change after you've been working on it a while.

Captain Ron

Aug 22, 2012
Well.. one thing to consider is the Air Raid helped out the defense with time of possession. How much more time has the defense spent on the field this year compared to the past?
What was their motivation level playing from behind knowing that no matter how well they played, the likelihood of an offense touchdown was as rare as a urinal during the Templeton era?

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
Sorry the offense is bad. It's worse than bad and our former QB is telling you it was and it was a stupid mistake to fire the staff.
Considering injuries, the offense has outperformed the defense though, right? Do you really disagree?

We scored 30+ in four of our first six games. The other two weeks were LSU and Alabama. We scored more on Saban than OM.

All of that being before the Mike Wright era began. I’d hate to see him running the air raid though.

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
Somebody with a lot of money influence really hated the air raid. That's all I can figure.
I think that's the case. I'm not so sure Arnett wanted to change at this point but was pretty much forced to do so. But there is plenty of blame for Arnett and staff as basic fundamentals were lacking with this team.

Reactions: Ibdancin

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
On the stupidity of a 180 change in offense by Arnett and the powers to be. These WRs and QBs came here expecting to be thrown to and to throw it.

On Dan Mullen returning "NO!!!!!!!!!!!"

Funny at the beginning of the year he was so high on the OL and RB room that he was ecstatic at the ability to run the ball.
7:00 mark

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
The issue here is that it's not C34 stating it. It's Matt Wyatt and the people that cover MSU sports.
Your stance is exactly what C34 put out there. In fact, he worked hard to undermine the confidence in Leach.
If you listen to Matt, he'd defend Will no matter what. The crush Matt has on Will is cringy. Freeze/barn didn't extend him a huge offer, that's just lunacy, no matter who you heard it from.

I'm not saying that rumor wasn't crafted and floated, I'm just saying there was no chance of it actually happening.

Last edited:

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
The Mike Wright experience was a huge failure even tho some of our people thought Will was the problem and a running QB with a "strong" arm would win with this offense. Time of possession was very helpful to cover for our defense when we ran the AR but nobody liked death by a thousand paper cuts as we ate up the clock going down the field. A 4 yard pass is a fail but they jack off for a 4 yard run. Yet it's the same yardage. A good OC can make an accurate passer work. Marino was never much of a runner but he could carve you up. It's just different and this team was built for the AR. Period. Shoulda kept Miller and Spurrier and coulda slowly transitioned if that's what he wanted to do

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
Our offense was bad last year.
Was it ? Some games it was. Good enough to win 9 games tho. I guess you don't like winning ? I guess you think our defense won games ? They were better cause they weren't on the field 3/4 of the game but the truth is Arnett never had a good defense. Its ok if you didn't like the AR. But don't be mad cause your chosen offense sucked and could barely beat Western Michigan

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
The best offensive performance we had was against South Carolina and that was not a Barbay offense. That was almost the AR. I liked that game we just came up short. We had more running than under Leach and the passing was a little more downfield. I thought it was very effective but we were not able to duplicate it for some reason. Either way the season was bad and that's why this coach was fired during the season and the majority of this staff will be fired after the EB

RockyDog

Jan 2, 2023
The Mike Wright experience was a huge failure even tho some of our people thought Will was the problem and a running QB with a "strong" arm would win with this offense. Time of possession was very helpful to cover for our defense when we ran the AR but nobody liked death by a thousand paper cuts as we ate up the clock going down the field. A 4 yard pass is a fail but they jack off for a 4 yard run. Yet it's the same yardage. A good OC can make an accurate passer work. Marino was never much of a runner but he could carve you up. It's just different and this team was built for the AR. Period. Shoulda kept Miller and Spurrier and coulda slowly transitioned if that's what he wanted to do
It wasn’t just the paper cuts. It was the fact that the AR did not break any big gains. 15 play drives are good when they work but you can’t expect to have those game in and game out.

the offense had 16 plays that gained 40 yards or more in the entire Leach era. Not good. A good offense should have 20 of those a season.

Maybe in hindsight we should have bandaided another AR season to get through the transition but either way Leach’s offense was going away for good at MsU.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
Considering injuries, the offense has outperformed the defense though, right? Do you really disagree?

We scored 30+ in four of our first six games. The other two weeks were LSU and Alabama. We scored more on Saban than OM.

All of that being before the Mike Wright era began. I’d hate to see him running the air raid though.
No the offense has not out performed the defense. We have scored 1 offensive TD in 4 games! And we can say it was due to playing Bama or UGA. These are teams we beat.

Reactions: Nugdawg and AFDawg

Mjoelner

Sep 2, 2006
This! This! This and This again!

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
If you listen to Matt, he'd defend Will if he was caught with a dead boy or live girl. The crush Matt has on Will is cringy. Freeze/barn didn't extend him a huge offer, that's just lunacy, no matter who you heard it from.

I'm not saying that rumor wasn't crafted and floated, I'm just saying there was no chance of it actually happening.
LOL! Just ignorance. You are blinded by your love for C34. Yes, Everybody from Paul to Rosey to Matt Wyatt is telling you you are wrong.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
LOL! That's the truth.

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
It wasn’t just the paper cuts. It was the fact that the AR did not break any big gains. 15 play drives are good when they work but you can’t expect to have those game in and game out.

the offense had 16 plays that gained 40 yards or more in the entire Leach era. Not good. A good offense should have 20 of those a season.

Maybe in hindsight we should have bandaided another AR season to get through the transition but either way Leach’s offense was going away for good at MsU.
As bad as I hate to agree with you that's true. We didn't go downfield enough and honestly did not run enough. Leach was slowly adding more running and I think he woulda had Parson run some. He was cautious with his QBs and the possibility of turnovers or getting them hurt. Overly so with Will which maybe he knew we were 17ed if Will got hurt. Idk. But I would have loved a modified AR. Something closer to Burrows at LSU.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018

Won 9 games. Period. End of it. It was stupid to fire the whole offensive staff that was seasoned and knew these players and won 9 game.

I get that you and C34 are buddies, but he and you are simply wrong and the proof is there.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
If you listen to Matt, he'd defend Will if he was caught with a dead boy or live girl. The crush Matt has on Will is cringy. Freeze/barn didn't extend him a huge offer, that's just lunacy, no matter who you heard it from.

Your sick ability to spew this stuff has most of us wondering what "cringy" stuff you are involved in. You seem to know a lot about the stuff.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
And I will admit after I listened to Barbay and some commentators I thought he might be good and I honestly thought we could get 9 wins with this team. Experienced returning 5th and 6th year players. Adapting the offense to our best players strengths etc etc. I was terribly wrong...lol

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
As bad as I hate to agree with you that's true. We didn't go downfield enough and honestly did not run enough. Leach was slowly adding more running and I think he woulda had Parson run some. He was cautious with his QBs and the possibility of turnovers or getting them hurt. Overly so with Will which maybe he knew we were 17ed if Will got hurt. Idk. But I would have loved a modified AR. Something closer to Burrows at LSU.
This is MW on being balanced and gotta run the ball.

"Name the teams that have won a bunch of games that can only run."

"It's not that way anymore. You have to be able to throw it"

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login