Matt Wyatt.. "Run tell em all I said it".

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Nope.

Nowhere near "over 30 points per game"
I get that you’re passionate about your position but your reading comprehension and math skills are lacking at the moment.

In the first 6 games before the bye week they scored 181 points. That’s 30.6 points per game so “nowhere near 30 points per game” is factually incorrect.

Reactions: 57stratdawg

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
I get that you’re passionate about your position but your reading comprehension and math skills are lacking at the moment.

In the first 6 games before the bye week they scored 181 points. That’s 30.6 points per game so “nowhere near 30 points per game” is factually incorrect.
Define “near”.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
We won 9 games and averaged 31 points a game, less in SEC games. People can go all moneyball and point out weaknesses in various areas but the offense was good, not great, and helped us get 9 wins in Leach's third year in the
Just because it was better last year doesn't mean it it was good. It wasn't. We scored a lot of points against cupcakes and didn't do much against teams that had a defensive pulse. That's typical of scheme teams. When it works it really works, when it doesn't it really doesn't.

Once again, what's going on now is one of the main reasons I didn't want to hire Leach. Not even the "air raid" guys run what he ran. Even if we had hired one of them the transition would almost certainly been bumpy. It is what it is now.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
And I will admit after I listened to Barbay and some commentators I thought he might be good and I honestly thought we could get 9 wins with this team. Experienced returning 5th and 6th year players. Adapting the offense to our best players strengths etc etc. I was terribly wrong...lol
The offense was worse, but not much worse, than last year till Rogers and Marks got hurt. After that it has been non-existent. If Rogers had gone down last year we would have been totally screwed too.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
This is MW on being balanced and gotta run the ball.

"Name the teams that have won a bunch of games that can only run."

"It's not that way anymore. You have to be able to throw it"

You have to be able to do both.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
We have never been 45th in scoring O this season.

We are currently 119th on scoring Offense and 97th in scoring D.
Yes, we were. He is correct. Prior to Rogers and Marks going down the main reason we weren't winning more was the defense. It sucked then and it sucks now. If it had been the offense the whole time I think Arnett is still here and the OC is gone. If you look at the facts that's the conclusion you have to make.

Last edited:

blitz2Win

Sep 2, 2023
We are ranked 109th in offense. Wow, putting up points against SELA and western Michigan, giving woody 25 carries in those games, impressive. Especially the seven yards at half against LSU, really good stuff.

Reactions: CDawg08

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Our "bad" offense was ranked 8th in the SEC last year. Our defense was ranked 7th. Was it bad as well? Bad offense plus bad defense got us to 9 wins. Go figure.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018

No I get that you NEED to add in the FCS game.

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
30 points per game with a game against a terrible FCS team, a terrible MAC team and an SEC team with one of the worst defenses in the conference thrown in really isn’t all that impressive. Our 31 against Arizona included overtime and a drive that started inside the 10 after an interception.

Reactions: mo7888 and Ibdancin

T-TownDawgg

Nov 4, 2015
Why because I understand the an FCS game means nothing?
I don’t understand your selective rules for calculating averages at all.

Every other 17ing team in America includes them when averaging their scores.

I’ll bet you’d include FCS games when we discuss average yards allowed when talking about the 1998, 2000, and 2018 defenses.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
I don’t understand your selective rules for calculating averages at all.

Every other 17ing team in America includes them when averaging their scores.

I’ll bet you’d include FCS games when we discuss average yards allowed when talking about the 1998, 2000, and 2018 defenses.

No. I wouldn't. Nor does TeamRankings use them. It's like Ole Miss going 7-0 and we all knew they were bad but they thought they could not be beaten. They gave themselves to the delusion based on a soft schedule and got wrecked.

FCS shows nothing unless you get beat by them. We should have scored at will on them strictly from a talent stand point alone.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
We’ve got multiple people in this thread saying Matt is flat wrong about something he said concerning players/staff. Please tell us how you know so. What makes you more of an authority on what coaches/players were saying than Matt? Did you talk to the coaches/players personally and they told you different? Which coaches/players did you talk to?
I'm wondering if it's the same guys as over on the board that said they dont give a crap about what our former players think about the coaching search. I am genuinely interested in what our former players who played on good teams think 98. 2010. 2014.2015. I would love to have buy in from out players in the pros right now. Talking up msu and the coach with recruits

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
The Mike Wright experience was a huge failure even tho some of our people thought Will was the problem and a running QB with a "strong" arm would win with this offense. Time of possession was very helpful to cover for our defense when we ran the AR but nobody liked death by a thousand paper cuts as we ate up the clock going down the field. A 4 yard pass is a fail but they jack off for a 4 yard run. Yet it's the same yardage. A good OC can make an accurate passer work. Marino was never much of a runner but he could carve you up. It's just different and this team was built for the AR. Period. Shoulda kept Miller and Spurrier and coulda slowly transitioned if that's what he wanted to do

People were overboard in their animosity for the air raid, but people didn't complain about 4 yard passes unless it was a 4 yard pass on 3 and long. They complained about virtually never threatening down field. I certainly got tired of watching swing passes that immediately got the RB blown up when it was third down. And I generally thought the air raid was a good concept for us. But whoever you want to blame, it's ridiculous that we couldn't at least take some 50/50 shots down field on 3rd downs instead of checking down to a RB that had a defender ready to tee off on him.

UpTheMiddlex3Punt

May 28, 2007
Arnett was trying to make his mark and failed miserably at that. He could have kept the offensive staff and even if we were still at 4-6 right now with bad offensive performances he'd probably still have his job. He could chalk it up to wanting to keep continuity and could make the decision to get a new offensive staff right now when the coordinator market is better than it was at the end of last December.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login