May CPI Numbers…

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I sincerely hope that reasonable people, like you, who aren't drinking the Trump koolaid but think we are in normal political times and that the focus on "the past" is unwarranted will watch the hearings and find out how much further than just being a "turd" Trump is and see that whole faction for the legitimate threat that it is to, at a minimum, stability in our government. Trump had a 7 part plan, nevermind that he failed in his ultimate goal, he had lot's of elected officials engaged in his plan who subsequently asked for pardons. These are actual treasonous acts, not regular political gamesmanship. We won't have the luxury of arguing over competing party's policies if ever someone like Trump is allowed to take over the country.

Sorry for trailing off a little, but I have a lot of good friends, who are intelligent people, who also live in an echo chamber, consume confirmation bias like it's manna from heaven, and refuse to look at what really happened and see it for what it is.

You need to step off the ledge. Trump wasn't good, but the idea that Trump is qualitatively different than Biden or that a bunch of unarmed idiots on Jan. 6th posed some existential threat to our government that is different than trying to disrupt judicial appointments or rioting in general is just not based in reality. People with a microphone have played it up and people have bought into it. But in reality, it's just another example of people going off the rails. And a sign that we are incapable of having government that looks out for the less affluent. Some idiot puts on horn and marches through the capitol and gets years. People take part in riots and burn down buildings and destroy poor and minority neighborhoods and politicians raise money to bail them out before they get let go with a slap on the wrist. it's disgusting.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
How much of the politics do you think falls out in price?

Biden and democrats in general spend a lot of energy sending messages that investing in energy production is going to be expensive and risky. If you make it risky, they are going to require a higher return to compensate for the risk, so they are going to invest less for any projected level of oil prices. To Biden's credit, he is a moron so it's at least possible that he isn't trying to depress oil production and is just saying whatever he thinks will poll well without considering it and the actions they take have real world consequences.

+\- 10%? Are Biden policies the difference between $2.50 and $4.50 or $4.50 and $4.10?

What you say is true. Cost and risk is going to ebb and flow admin to admin, but capital allocators aren't quite as emotional as politicians and voters. What's really likely to happen on the federal side to significantly influence price? 90% of production is on private land. Half the federal leases aren't touched. It's great fodder for votes and message boards, but feels like we are way overrating federal influence and making this more emotional than it needs to be. I get it...I hate 4.50 gas prices as much as anyone.

BoDawg.sixpack

Feb 5, 2010
The number of people over the age of 65 is steadily increasing and will make up over a 1/4 of the population by 2060 if federal census projections work out. There's going to be some tougher times ahead than what we're experiencing now, especially if we have another pandemic.. For those that think the labor market is tough now, your only hope is that automation can fill the gap as the decades go by. The good news it there's a solid chance of that happening in many (but not all) industries.

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
+\- 10%? Are Biden policies the difference between $2.50 and $4.50 or $4.50 and $4.10?

What you say is true. Cost and risk is going to ebb and flow admin to admin, but capital allocators aren't quite as emotional as politicians and voters. What's really likely to happen on the federal side to significantly influence price? 90% of production is on private land. Half the federal leases aren't touched. It's great fodder for votes and message boards, but feels like we are way overrating federal influence and making this more emotional than it needs to be. I get it...I hate 4.50 gas prices as much as anyone.

The federal regulatory issues caused the shutdown of several refineries. The move to "green" energy without any real plan or infrastructure, in some hurried "all in" move is on the government too. Now, it's not just this administration, but they're a part of it. Our choice to stop taking oil from Russia in some "virtue signaling" effort to look like we're "good people" is affecting things as well. All the while, a good portion of the world is still taking it and undermining any "effort" to punish.
You aren't wrong on leases and production though.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
This really is a head in sand take on 1/6

You need to step off the ledge. Trump wasn't good, but the idea that Trump is qualitatively different than Biden or that a bunch of unarmed idiots on Jan. 6th posed some existential threat to our government that is different than trying to disrupt judicial appointments or rioting in general is just not based in reality. People with a microphone have played it up and people have bought into it. But in reality, it's just another example of people going off the rails. And a sign that we are incapable of having government that looks out for the less affluent. Some idiot puts on horn and marches through the capitol and gets years. People take part in riots and burn down buildings and destroy poor and minority neighborhoods and politicians raise money to bail them out before they get let go with a slap on the wrist. it's disgusting.

Could you imagine if Obama had fed lies to a pissy base of supporters, called them to Washington the day succession were to be finalized, ginned them up with a pregame speech and tweets during the riot, and pressured Biden to count a different slate of electors to keep himself in power all while knowing there were people in that crowd that wanted to kill him and did nothing in the moment to stop it?

We all know he'd have been swinging from a tree by now.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004

BoomBoom.sixpack

Aug 22, 2012
Their mandate isn't a strong dollar though, it's maintaining stable prices. They announced their policy and then they failed to execute it. I can't imagine they'd disagree with that. They might think there are good reasons that they failed and that their failure was understandable, but they failed.

That's a weird definition of failure. By the way, they don't have a "policy", they have a target.

Poker analogy: they played the hand right, they just got burned on the river. That's not failure. You judge yourself by how you made decisions on things in your control.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
The unwillingness to see how a sitting President TRIED to overturn an election as fundamentally different is wanton partisanship.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
At least 2 oil guys I know both saying they industry would love to be drilling more. There simply is not equipment available to go get. And even if there was, there is not labor to operate them.

Yep. We’ve been talking about supply chain problems for over two years and labor shortage issues for almost that long too.

And more importantly, there's unwillingness for those in the industry to invest in something that could be yanked out from under them in a year.

^^^^— This is the truth right here.

At the moment, the US oil industry’s best move is to do what they’ve been doing because as crazy as things are…

We're nationalizing? Don't threaten me with a good time, Drebin!************

Hahahaha, Dorn, you made me laugh, that’s great.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
You need to step off the ledge. Trump wasn't good, but the idea that Trump is qualitatively different than Biden or that a bunch of unarmed idiots on Jan. 6th posed some existential threat to our government that is different than trying to disrupt judicial appointments or rioting in general is just not based in reality.

What about the armed people?

Apparently some in our government, in the moment, felt there was a threat. Nobody barricades a door and has 4 guns pointed at the door if they dont feel there is an imminent threat.
View attachment 24572

The GOP called the event above 'legitimate political discourse'. They did that when censuring a couple of members. After immediate and overwhelming criticism, the GOP then 'clarified' and said they were only referring to a select small group fighting to overturn the election.

Violence is not acceptable, regardless of if it is because you dislike a SCOTUS nominee or if its because you believe baseless election conspiracies.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
My reply was to johnson who seems to be equivocating the MAGA insurrection with business as usual politics.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
That's a weird definition of failure. By the way, they don't have a "policy", they have a target.

Poker analogy: they played the hand right, they just got burned on the river. That's not failure. You judge yourself by how you made decisions on things in your control.

I would say FAIT is a policy.

The river isn't in your control. Monetary policy is in their control. They screwed the pooch and the longer their failure lasts, the more extreme the fix will have to be.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
I recently opened a HELOC as a hedge against any potential recession induced cash flow changes. No intention of using it at all, just making some of my home equity available as cash in case my industry takes a hit and I need it.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Even if you could capitalize a new refinery nobody and I mean nobody in this country wants a refinery in their backyard or state. The environmental impact study would have to be paid off just to get a review and the millions it would take in kick backs just to get a favorable/pass. I’ve been in the oil/gas exploration business for 40yrs+
That’s been the part that is funny to me. Ron Desantis will complain about gas prices but there has always been pressure from Florida to not allow offshore drilling despite us having the second largest coastline in the country. Trump expanded the ban to 2032.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
The unwillingness to see how a sitting President TRIED to overturn an election as fundamentally different is wanton partisanship.

Gore tried to selectively recount districts where he was strong in Florida to overturn an election. That was bad and not supported by any legal theory that I'm aware of. Trump's (or whoever's) theory that the senate could punt the electoral vote back to the states to address concerns over vote integrity was bad and not supported by any legal theory that I'm aware of.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
And pass term limits. They need to have a decent length of time but there needs to be a limit.

I agree, but as my dad always said, there are all ready term limits, it called the ballot box. Term limits decrease voter's choices. I don't know if it would make much difference either way, as Pete Townshend told us back in 1971, "Meet the new boss Same as the old boss."

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Gore, whom I genuinely just don't like, after a few weeks, peacefully conceded defeat. And the Florida "dangling chad" ballot type was at least plausibly difficult to tell at times. Trump led an insurrection and is STILL lying and mobilizing people to "stop the steal". There is NO comparison.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
It's OK to bludgeon people to death so long as you don't shoot. The same crowd who says after a school shooting that people will weaponize whatever they want if they really want to kill so we don't need any restrictions on guns will ALSO SAY those "protesters" at the capitol were unarmed.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
It's OK to bludgeon people to death so long as you don't shoot. The same crowd who says after a school shooting that people will weaponize whatever they want if they really want to kill so we don't need any restrictions on guns will ALSO SAY those "protesters" at the capitol were unarmed.

The same people that say a bunch of people with semi-automatic rifles can't stand up to the government think people were staging a successful coup with a baseball bat and sledge hammer?

But I did not mean to imply that nobody was armed with anything, just that they generally weren't. I'm sure there were plenty of people in the crowd that were carrying concealed guns also, they were just not stupid enough to get caught up in any violence or to the extent they were, managed to avoid pulling a gun.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Gore, whom I genuinely just don't like, after a few weeks, peacefully conceded defeat. And the Florida "dangling chad" ballot type was at least plausibly difficult to tell at times. Trump led an insurrection and is STILL lying and mobilizing people to "stop the steal". There is NO comparison.
There wasn't any allegation that there were only hanging chads where Gore was strong. And lots of democratic politicians continued to claim that the supreme court stole that election well past a few weeks.

But the fact that Trump (and stacy abrams) are still making claims about voter fraud stealing an election is a good reason that the aim for a vote should be avoiding the appearance of impropriety and why making voter fraud easier is a bad idea. You're never going to stop voter fraud, but you can at least make it harder to do on a mass scale.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
yeup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login