MBB: Brian Hamilton of The Athletic ranks Power 6 Coaching Hires...

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
He really likes the Jans hire. Only Shaheen Holloway and Sean Miller rank higher-- both of them are judged to be Tier 1.

Other Tier 2 hires: Kenny Payne and Jon Scheyer. All coaches in each tier are listed in alphabetical order.

Other SEC hires rank in Tier 3 & Tier 5.

The paragraph on Jans below:

Tier 2

Chris Jans, Mississippi State. Understanding your station in the grand scheme is an underrated and often fatally dismissed element in college athletics decision-making. Mississippi State needed someone who could handle the second- or third-toughest job in a league that’s becoming a hoops monstrosity. It needed someone who can coach his way to wins. It needed someone who can connect with fringe players, the guys who have the requisite talent but also just enough baggage question marks to get bypassed by bigger-name schools, because that’s more often than not whom Mississippi State will get. (At least relative to its SEC brethren.) It needed someone, frankly, with a profound appreciation for simply having the chance to coach Division I men’s basketball in Starkville. Jans checks all the boxes. The scars from professional and personal struggles are actually the defining lines on his resume, in the context of this particular gig. There are other qualified coaches who happily would’ve taken this job, but they might not have brought a rusty knife to the fight.

Last edited:

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Mississippi State is the 2nd toughest job. What is that based on?

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
Lack of historical production, limited proximity to talent, lack of interest from the Admin & fanbase, etc.

I would put MSU in the bottom 3 jobs of the SEC with Vandy & OM.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
Probably lack of recent tourney appearances and no S16 since 96.

Our actual results in the conference standings are definitely better than 2nd/3rd worse, but our ceiling has sucked. If we go by that, us, Vandy, OM, UGA, and USC have all been pretty crappy. You could probably make a case for any of those to be 3rd worst.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
I agree with most of this but I'd put UGA in the bottom three if only because they don't perform as nearly as well as they should.

Vanderbilt would move out of the bottom three.

Up until the past few years, Auburn would be in the bottom three but Bruce Pearl has changed things in his tenure.

deltadawg63

Aug 23, 2012
I am afraid we are getting the reputation of not having competitive NIL opportunities and that speaks to his statement on fan and administration desire and interest. That’s going to become more and more of a problem in all sports if something doesn’t change. Bottom line is going to be no matter a prospect or existing athlete really liking MSU, if the money grass is greener, most to all will choose that. It’s business!!!

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login