MBK at Mizzou postponed

Status
Not open for further replies.

msstate7

Nov 27, 2008
Damn, ncaa basketball should tell all players to go out licking door knobs this week. Go ahead and get some immunity for a few months (half an *)

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Do you know if it will be rescheduled or are we 2-0 in the SEC due to forfeit?
If it can be rescheduled, it will be. If it cant be rescheduled, then no game was played and records dont change.

https://www.secsports.com/article/32929291/updated-interrupted-basketball-game-policies-announced
An SEC men's or women's basketball team will be required to play if it has at least seven (7) scholarship student-athletes and one (1) countable coaching staff member available to participate. The impacted institution has the option to play the game with fewer than the seven players and/or one countable coach, if it elects to do so. Otherwise, upon approval by the Commissioner, the game will be rescheduled or declared a no contest.
If a contest is postponed, efforts will be made to reschedule the game. If a contest cannot be rescheduled, the Commissioner shall cancel the contest and it will be recorded as a no contest.

D4L

Aug 2, 2021
Damn, ncaa basketball should tell all players to go out licking door knobs this week. Go ahead and get some immunity for a few months (half an *)

I knew a girl once who would....nevermind.

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
Just one more reason to hate Missouri.
Sidenote—I thought the vax was supposed to stop this thus the mandate for teams to achieve a certain percentage of jabbed players. Oh well.

msstate7

Nov 27, 2008
We're now gonna have a long layoff before the OM game. Really don't like this

SaintsDoc

Apr 24, 2016
Sidenote—I thought the vax was supposed to stop this thus the mandate for teams to achieve a certain percentage of jabbed players. Oh well.

You the one that said pandemic was over? Oh well

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
SaintsDoc;[URL="tel:2006672" said:
2006672[/URL]]You the one that said pandemic was over? Oh well
I’ve never said anything about that matter. Oh well.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
It is over unless a cold is now pandemic worthy which it seems to be now.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
I haven't read the particulars about this game yet, but at least part of the problem right now is that the vaccinated protocol only kicks in if players are... well, vaccinated.

The Memphis/UT games was cancelled several weeks ago because the majority of the Tigers' team was not vaccinated, and close contact tracing thus applied to the them regardless of whether they were showing symptoms or not.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
That sucks

Let's see; coded a patient this am at 1:47 am. Unvaccinated and now dead from Covid he got last week

Don't envy you folks and what you've had to treat and witness over the last couple of years.

Lots of folks going to have to put their money where their mouth is next couple of weeks. Nearly everyone is going to get infected that doesn't live inside a bubble. Good news: it almost certainly is a weaker strain and we should be done after this wave and enter into endemic / manageable status (Some of that is hope-based, but it just seems logical considering how many folks will be vaxed/infected after this wave). But big numbers are big numbers - going to be some easily prevented obits in the coming weeks. Very sad.

Sports related: I have it right now too. Thinking of making a bumper sticker that says "I went to the Liberty Bowl and all I got was an L and this lousy virus".

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
I haven't read the particulars about this game yet, but at least part of the problem right now is that the vaccinated protocol only kicks in if players are... well, vaccinated.

The Memphis/UT games was cancelled several weeks ago because the majority of the Tigers' team was not vaccinated, and close contact tracing thus applied to the them regardless of whether they were showing symptoms or not.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^

msstate7

Nov 27, 2008

"...The entire Mizzou team has been fully vaccinated and earlier this month was scheduling booster shots, Martin confirmed after the Tigers' last home game, Dec. 18 against Utah...."

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/col...cle_e2c26463-b35e-5f12-b31b-ef1f8c5edf47.html

All players vaccinated according to this

Jan 13, 2008
Were they overweight? The biggest issue with this virus is how the media doesn’t promote healthy living and staying fit. Don’t be offended if this is you.

Let's see; coded a patient this am at 1:47 am. Unvaccinated and now dead from Covid he got last week

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Yeah, I remember that story. If its the same one she had developed a method for removing chrome from a 2 7/8" trailer ball as I recall

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
Age is a far stronger indicator than BMI

Were they overweight? The biggest issue with this virus is how the media doesn’t promote healthy living and staying fit. Don’t be offended if this is you.

Being male is the next strongest indicator. Obesity will raise your age about 3 years when it comes to covid risk. Combine it with other comorbidities and you could raise your risk to about a decade. It definitely has an influence, but nowhere near as much as simply being old. It's becoming a little reckless to suggest that this is a fat person's problem. My 65 year old dad thinks he's safe because he's fit despite being in the age group where you risk goes up quite a bit. Fortunately, my mother talked his stubborn *** into getting vaccinated.

Obesity is a problem though. I'll give you that. Just not in the way you are insinuating here. Don't be offended if that doesn't align with your perceived risk here.

Choctaw Dawg

May 21, 2017
"...The entire Mizzou team has been fully vaccinated and earlier this month was scheduling booster shots, Martin confirmed after the Tigers' last home game, Dec. 18 against Utah...."

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/col...cle_e2c26463-b35e-5f12-b31b-ef1f8c5edf47.html

All players vaccinated according to this
So are ours according to Howland, we had one player out of the Arkansas game (Keyshawn Murphy) but none of his roommates were out because of them being vaccinated and testing negative.

MadDawg.sixpack

May 22, 2006
My 30 year-old obese niece might beg to differ, if she wasn't dead.

Being male is the next strongest indicator. Obesity will raise your age about 3 years when it comes to covid risk. Combine it with other comorbidities and you could raise your risk to about a decade. It definitely has an influence, but nowhere near as much as simply being old. It's becoming a little reckless to suggest that this is a fat person's problem. My 65 year old dad thinks he's safe because he's fit despite being in the age group where you risk goes up quite a bit. Fortunately, my mother talked his stubborn *** into getting vaccinated.

Obesity is a problem though. I'll give you that. Just not in the way you are insinuating here. Don't be offended if that doesn't align with your perceived risk here.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

That is definitely different from what I would have guessed. I would have guessed being obese put you at a similar risk to a healthy person a decade older than you, or maybe two decades for morbidly obese. I don't think have personally known anybody that was a healthy weight that was badly affected by it. But I have also been pretty lucky, as you have to get pretty far out on my social circle to find somebody that died from it.

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
Kevin Bacon would have to die from it before I could say someone "close" to me died from it. I consider myself uber fortunate, by the way.

Choctaw Dawg

May 21, 2017
That is definitely different from what I would have guessed. I would have guessed being obese put you at a similar risk to a healthy person a decade older than you, or maybe two decades for morbidly obese. I don't think have personally known anybody that was a healthy weight that was badly affected by it. But I have also been pretty lucky, as you have to get pretty far out on my social circle to find somebody that died from it.
Per the CDC, 95% of Covid deaths had an average of 4 comorbidities. Obesity I imagine is one of the main ones.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
Just dumb it down a bit

And I want to be clear - being obese is not good for anything except maybe surviving famine and that's probably debatable. So that's not my argument here. You are better off being fit than fat when it comes to Covid, but age is the driving factor here and explaining it otherwise is nit picking or being anecdotal.

Just take the easy observation. 75% of Covid deaths are from the age group 65+ (COVID-19 deaths by age U.S. 2021 | Statista). Obesity rates are pretty even across age groups at a little above 40% (Adult Obesity Facts | Overweight & Obesity | CDC). Population of folks 65+ is 17% (• U.S.: Age distribution | Statista). If being obese was the driver for death here (or even a close 2nd to being old)), you would expect death rates by age to align more with the age distribution. It's not even close. It's the inverse. This also doesn't even consider higher vaccination rates in older population rates than younger. So there's another factor that supports age over obesity.

The correlation between age and dying is so skewed that attributing the cause to being being "overweight" is fruitless. You won't get much impact on that factor. Now if you want to expand from "overweight" to morbidly obese, you could probably make the case for a young person to be very worried. That said, a young morbidly obese person should be worried about a number of things that could happen today or tomorrow as well. So I'm not sure what the point would be. Lose weight now because (A, B, D, E....and on).

Last edited:

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
Looks like we should go ahead and add "old" to "fat, drunk and stupid" as no way to go through life.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
And I want to be clear - being obese is not good for anything except maybe surviving famine and that's probably debatable. So that's not my argument here. You are better off being fit than fat when it comes to Covid, but age is the driving factor here and explaining it otherwise is nit picking or being anecdotal.

Just take the easy observation. 75% of Covid deaths are from the age group 65+ (COVID-19 deaths by age U.S. 2021 | Statista). Obesity rates are pretty even across age groups at a little above 40% (Adult Obesity Facts | Overweight & Obesity | CDC). Population of folks 65+ is 17% (• U.S.: Age distribution | Statista). If being obese was the driver for death here (or even a close 2nd to being old)), you would expect death rates by age to align more with the age distribution. It's not even close. It's the inverse. This also doesn't even consider higher vaccination rates in older population rates than younger. So there's another factor that supports age over obesity.

The correlation between age and dying is so skewed that attributing the cause to being being "overweight" is fruitless. You won't get much impact on that factor. Now if you want to expand from "overweight" to morbidly obese, you could probably make the case for a young person to be very worried. That said, a young morbidly obese person should be worried about a number of things that could happen today or tomorrow as well. So I'm not sure what the point would be. Lose weight now because (A, B, D, E....and on).

I don't think that observation tells you as much as you are thinking. With 40% of people over 65 being obese, and a CFR that is still somewhere around 5% for people over 65 (my google fu is not turning up recent estimates of CFR by age group for some reason, so that 5% may be off), you could still have the vast majority of those over 65 fatalities involving obese people. So you can't just compare that 75% of the COVID deaths are from the 65+ age group. It could be that covid19 isn't that deadly to healthy 65 years olds, but that being obese makes a 65 year old have a risk profile that is more like an 85 year old, and so a lot of obese people drive the death rate up for people over 65. You'd need an estimate of how obese versus non obese did, preferably at all age groups, and then you could do a rough guess as to "being obese is the equivalent of being XX years older, all else being equal). I know you weren't simply relying on that stat or claiming it proves your 3 years stat, but just pointing out that I don't know if it is even necessarily suggestive without knowing more.

bully12

Sep 2, 2012

You been watching CNN too much, particularly Rachel Maddow.

DawgatAuburn

Apr 25, 2006

That game was canceled because Penny did not take vaccinations seriously, going so far as to say in the preseason that the Tigers were 90% vaccinated when in fact they were not. When pressed about it after the UT game cancellation, he offered some bumbling excuse about he had heard them talking about it. You can't depend on 18-22 year old college athletes to take care of things on their own. You want to make sure your team is vaccinated? Make it a priority to find out and verify.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login