MBK at Mizzou postponed

Status
Not open for further replies.

archdog

Aug 22, 2012
If you still believe the corona BS you're being fed I can't help your retarded ***. Continue to be a bottom feeder idiot

Not sure why you are being downvoted, this is 100% correct. I am guessing the downvotes are the people you are talking about.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
And I want to be clear - being obese is not good for anything except maybe surviving famine and that's probably debatable. So that's not my argument here. You are better off being fit than fat when it comes to Covid, but age is the driving factor here and explaining it otherwise is nit picking or being anecdotal.

Just take the easy observation. 75% of Covid deaths are from the age group 65+ (COVID-19 deaths by age U.S. 2021 | Statista). Obesity rates are pretty even across age groups at a little above 40% (Adult Obesity Facts | Overweight & Obesity | CDC). Population of folks 65+ is 17% (• U.S.: Age distribution | Statista). If being obese was the driver for death here (or even a close 2nd to being old)), you would expect death rates by age to align more with the age distribution. It's not even close. It's the inverse. This also doesn't even consider higher vaccination rates in older population rates than younger. So there's another factor that supports age over obesity.

The correlation between age and dying is so skewed that attributing the cause to being being "overweight" is fruitless. You won't get much impact on that factor. Now if you want to expand from "overweight" to morbidly obese, you could probably make the case for a young person to be very worried. That said, a young morbidly obese person should be worried about a number of things that could happen today or tomorrow as well. So I'm not sure what the point would be. Lose weight now because (A, B, D, E....and on).
Baby boomers are notoriously unhealthy in the collective, and really have no concept of healthy living/eating. They are heavily medicated. The generation after them isn't exactly great at it either, they are more concerned with being workaholics. The millenials are the first to really care about that sort of thing in my view. So that is probably another strike against age at this point in time, i.e. 2020-2022.

So ultimately, older people are going to have more comorbidities/obesity. It's both.

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
I wish there were numbers of Omicron vs Delta. Omicron seems to me to be between a cold and the flu.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
The US doesn’t keep up with it as much as other countries but in Europe it’s almost 90/10 in some countries with Omicron dominating. It’s outcompeting Delta which is a good thing and more than likely that’s what’s happening here as well.

In the UK, patients with Omicron report symptoms of sore throat, sneezing, a runny nose, and fatigue. Very few have a fever or lose their sense of taste.

Last edited:

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
Smoked Toag;[URL="tel:2006933" said:
2006933[/URL]]So ultimately, older people are going to have more comorbidities/obesity. It's both.

*INSERT SHOCKED FACE HERE*

You’re telling me that the older we get, the more medications we’re prescribed AND we get fatter than we previously were? Thanks, Cpt Obvious!
If you really think millennials have started the trend of healthier living, you need to get out more. People were trying to do better all the way back to the 50s and it really got strong in the 80s. Thanks to new discoveries, we’re all constantly getting healthier and smarter with our health.

Bill Shankly

Nov 27, 2020
In case y'all were wondering, which I'm sure you aren't, I still read these threads. I just don't post much in them because I'm tired of arguing with militant willful ignorance. I DID notice the one medical type who responded. That tells you what you need to know about COVID right now.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
Sure

Baby boomers are notoriously unhealthy in the collective, and really have no concept of healthy living/eating. They are heavily medicated. The generation after them isn't exactly great at it either, they are more concerned with being workaholics. The millenials are the first to really care about that sort of thing in my view. So that is probably another strike against age at this point in time, i.e. 2020-2022.

So ultimately, older people are going to have more comorbidities/obesity. It's both.

Older folks have more comorbidities as a general rule. Multiple comorbidities is when you really get your *** kicked by covid (generally). My only point is that with such a high percentage of the population being obese and the deaths so heavily skewed to older people, then statistically simply being obese is going to be far less significant that other things. You aren't going to find a study that says being obese moves the needle as much as age and all the things that degrade over that time. OP just rubbed me the wrong way in suggesting it's an "overweight" problem. That's about 3/4 of the country - math would never support it.

At any rate, doesn't matter. Take care of yourself short term and long term. Get your shot. Don't. I don't care. We've seen enough graphs of who dies and who doesn't by now to make adult decisions.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
If you really think millennials have started the trend of healthier living, you need to get out more. People were trying to do better all the way back to the 50s and it really got strong in the 80s. Thanks to new discoveries, we’re all constantly getting healthier and smarter with our health.
Yeah, you gave us Slim Fast, Weight Watchers and aspartame. Thanks guys!

By the way, I meant ACTUAL healthy eating choices, not easy fad diets.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
Here's a good dashboard

CDC COVID Data Tracker

You can see the trend of omicron overtaking delta - also by region. Delta will be completely gone soon. It's heavily present in the SE right now. I can't be for sure that my case was omicron, but my symptoms were right on the money between cold and flu. Scratchy throat, runny nose, killer headache, intense cough, short fever, fatigue, aches/pains - just condensed into a really short period. Strong symptoms left as quick as they showed up. Really strange. Maybe that was the strain? Maybe that was the antibodies kicking in? Who knows?

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
From my experience, the vaccine will not keep you from getting Covid...

Just one more reason to hate Missouri.
Sidenote—I thought the vax was supposed to stop this thus the mandate for teams to achieve a certain percentage of jabbed players. Oh well.

7 people in my family, all adults and 6 vaxed. All 7 came down with Covid (mild symptoms) over the holidays. Now perhaps the vaccine does keep symptoms mild but of the 7 all had nearly identical symptoms including the person who was not vaxed.

Our infection was traced to someone outside of our immediate family who was also fully vaxed.

I am solidly a proponent of vaccination but this is what happened to us. I can imagine it is not unique to our family.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Big fan of Monica Gandhi and Paul Offit as well.

ETA:

Also Dr Zubin Damania and Dr John Cambell give out great information and stay away from the hysterics of news media.

Last edited:

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
His press conference was mind boggling. I mean, if he had gotten up on the podium and said that all the data and facts were laid out for the team, and several had made the personal decision to not get vaccinated, it wouldn’t have been nearly as bad.

However, when you are CEO of a college basketball team and you tell the media that the team is 90% vaccinated, you cannot come back weeks later and tell the same media that you were off by 50% because you “heard some players talking about it” and made an assumption. I’m sure he’s not the only head coach in this position, but the entire situation really made him look weak and incompetent. I can’t belief that the Memphis powers that be didn’t step in and prep him for what was clearly coming in that presser.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
At this point unless you decide to never leave your house or live in a bubble, you’re going to get it or at least be exposed to it.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
There’s nothing harmful about aspartame other than it suffers from severe misinformation and junk science.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
There’s nothing harmful about aspartame other than it suffers from severe misinformation and junk science.
Slim Fast and Weight Watchers aren't harmful either. They just don't help anything and if anything, they hinder, because people think they are helpful.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
I’ll agree about Slim Fast but Weight Watchers tries to teach portion control and healthier eating habits.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
If you follow the weight watchers plan

Slim Fast and Weight Watchers aren't harmful either. They just don't help anything and if anything, they hinder, because people think they are helpful.

You will lose weight. If you cheat on the plan, and say you are doing weight watchers, you will not lose weight. The greatest weight loss tools are pen and paper. Write down everything you eat and drink, and the amount of calories in each. You’ll be shocked at how many calories you consume. Most people underestimate their calorie intake by half if they don’t write it down. This is also the hardest part of weight loss. Going to the gym and working hard for an hour is easy compared to making yourself be disciplined enough to monitor and track what you are eating. If you are still over weight after knowing it increases your chances for a rough time with covid for almost two years, you don’t care about the risks of covid. And that is perfectly fine. You do you.

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
Hospitalizations is what really matters. You would assume, even if the omicron variant is much milder, there would still be a lot of them, due to the higher number of cases overall, but even those seem to be going down in most areas.

Will be interesting to see how many hospitalizations and deaths are a result of Delta cases even now in areas where they are still high.

We're gonna make it, guys! WE'RE GONNA MAKE IT!

msstate7

Nov 27, 2008
Hospitalizations is what really matters. You would assume, even if the omicron variant is much milder, there would still be a lot of them, due to the higher number of cases overall, but even those seem to be going down in most areas.

Will be interesting to see how many hospitalizations and deaths are a result of Delta cases even now in areas where they are still high.

NY makes major adjustment to COVID hospitalization reporting during omicron surge

https://www.foxnews.com/us/new-york-patient-intake-reporting-kathy-hochul
So we're looking at a critical moment, but we're going to start asking some questions. We talked about the hospitalizations. I have always wondered, we're looking at the hospitalizations of people testing positive in a hospital," Democratic Gov. Kathy Hochul said Monday. "Is that person in the hospital because of COVID or did they show up there and are routinely tested and showing positive and they may have been asymptomatic or even just had the sniffles."

"Someone is in a car accident, they go to the emergency room, they test positive for COVID while they're there. They're not there being treated for COVID."

This was considered ring wing conspiracy theory last year

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
I’d have to go back and find it but in South Africa I think it was over half the covid patients in the hospital were there for something else and just happened to test positive.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
Nah the criticism was the right-wing desire to explain away death

NY makes major adjustment to COVID hospitalization reporting during omicron surge

https://www.foxnews.com/us/new-york-patient-intake-reporting-kathy-hochul
So we're looking at a critical moment, but we're going to start asking some questions. We talked about the hospitalizations. I have always wondered, we're looking at the hospitalizations of people testing positive in a hospital," Democratic Gov. Kathy Hochul said Monday. "Is that person in the hospital because of COVID or did they show up there and are routinely tested and showing positive and they may have been asymptomatic or even just had the sniffles."

"Someone is in a car accident, they go to the emergency room, they test positive for COVID while they're there. They're not there being treated for COVID."

This was considered ring wing conspiracy theory last year

As if they weren't happening. "He didn't die from covid, he died from pneumonia or cardiac arrest" or similar. Deaths have been pretty well beaten up to hell and back. Conclusion for anyone should be at the very lease "it killed a **** ton of people". I'm sure there was both some over and under counting. Takeaway should be - this joker was very impactful for a lot of people over the globe.

That said, I think every reasonable person should be pissed off at all types and biases of media/politics in this damn thing. Both siderisms usually suck, but it happened. You have the left leaners trying to sell the end of the world, living in a bubble, and knee jerk freakout every time a case graph looked bad or a variant was uncovered. And you have the right leaners trying to sell virus hoax, vaccine conspiracy, government control, and that the global pandemic ends after the U.S. presidential election. Neither of these extreme amplified takes did society any good at mitigating the damage done by this stupid virus and preserving our sanity. It drove clicks and polarization that pushed a lot of people into opposite positions out of spite - neither of which were very beneficial to society at large.

Don't get me wrong - there were plenty of people who saw and see the virus for what it is - novel coronavirus (they've come and gone for millennia) where we can't do much but ease into herd immunity with what we have available (took me a second to get there myself). And it really shouldn't have been that life altering - simple behavior changes and vaccines. But that take was to middle of the road and got drowned out by a pack of loud mouth 17s that have to take every little position they have to an ideological extreme - bc extremes get votes and extremes get clicks and view.

Bill Shankly

Nov 27, 2020

Interactive Chart: Mississippi COVID-19 Hospitalizations - Mississippi State Department of Health (ms.gov)

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
The hospitalizations are a little concerning

Good news is the ICU/vent numbers aren't rising stupid fast like the cases are. I'm hoping the quickly rising hospitalization numbers are simply hospitals wanting to make money. If there's a bed and sick person with insurance walks in the door, it's probably going to get filled for a second. Next phase of this needs to be more effective outpatient treatment.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
But there’s a difference between hospitalization numbers and an actual death and I agree with what you said, all of it.

But I think you could quantify the hospitalization numbers based off why they’re actually in the hospital.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
Agree. I think that's my 2nd biggest annoyance

But there’s a difference between hospitalization numbers and an actual death and I agree with what you said, all of it.

But I think you could quantify the hospitalization numbers based off why they’re actually in the hospital.

A bunch of of asymptomatic cases being reported, regardless of why it was detected, shouldn't be a cause for alarm by itself - which it often was portrayed that way It should have always been just a component of a bigger story.

Fast, reliable, and meaningful data has been lacking. And if it wasn't truly lacking, then whoever controls it didn't publish it well enough. One of the main reasons the aforementioned parties have been able to tell so many bogey man stories. You sell any story you want if there's no data to contradict it.

How many times did we ask "who is getting hospitalized" with zero context in a somewhat real-time manner? I searched for that every time things trended upward in my area. I wanted to know ages, comorbidities, vaccination status on hospitalizations/death before getting to invested in how it might or might not impact my family. Vaccine status seemed to improve more recently, but as a general rule, we still get little context.

I understand it is easier said than done, but we tend to value healthcare providers at the highest (or near highest) level of the professional spectrum. They simply have to get better at the data side for the next, hopefully distant, pandemic.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
You will lose weight. If you cheat on the plan, and say you are doing weight watchers, you will not lose weight. The greatest weight loss tools are pen and paper. Write down everything you eat and drink, and the amount of calories in each. You’ll be shocked at how many calories you consume. Most people underestimate their calorie intake by half if they don’t write it down. This is also the hardest part of weight loss. Going to the gym and working hard for an hour is easy compared to making yourself be disciplined enough to monitor and track what you are eating. If you are still over weight after knowing it increases your chances for a rough time with covid for almost two years, you don’t care about the risks of covid. And that is perfectly fine. You do you.

There are apps for this.
I have used MyFitnessPal everyday to track everything I eat and any cardio for 26 months now.
It sucks being tied to an app like this, but it works.

Bill Shankly

Nov 27, 2020
Good news is the ICU/vent numbers aren't rising stupid fast like the cases are. I'm hoping the quickly rising hospitalization numbers are simply hospitals wanting to make money. If there's a bed and sick person with insurance walks in the door, it's probably going to get filled for a second. Next phase of this needs to be more effective outpatient treatment.
You can't do that with an insurance patient, not usually. Admission has to be approved unless it's life or death.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
With the newness of COVID

You can't do that with an insurance patient, not usually. Admission has to be approved unless it's life or death.

You don't think there's a little "check 'em in for monitoring" when they would be just as fine at home? Or maybe I'm just misunderstanding the definition of a generic hospitalization...

Bill Shankly

Nov 27, 2020

You could but it makes little difference as far as the hospital is concerned. A patient in for a heart attack who happens to have COVID has to be treated as a COVID patient no matter if the COVID is mild and requires no treatment itself.

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
I have used MyFitnessPal

I switched to Coke Zero when I used this and realized just how much sugar and sodium I was intaking. That was about a decade ago. Quickly lost approximately 40 lbs.

Seeing the data in black and white is sobering. Not enough for me to give up beer, but sobering none the less.

Bill Shankly

Nov 27, 2020
You don't think there's a little "check 'em in for monitoring" when they would be just as fine at home? Or maybe I'm just misunderstanding the definition of a generic hospitalization...
Most of that has to be cleared by the patient's insurance company. This aint the 1970s.

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
I’m not surprised that this is all you think people did prior to your weak-*** generation. Y’all can’t even accept the gender you’re born as.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
That's fair

I've been waiting on an approval for an MRI from my insurance for 3+ months that my doc feels is very necessary. Denials + "ah, monitor them over night" probably wash..-ish.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
You could but it makes little difference as far as the hospital is concerned. A patient in for a heart attack who happens to have COVID has to be treated as a COVID patient no matter if the COVID is mild and requires no treatment itself.

Those numbers weren't be reported for the hospitals' benefit. They were being reported as information on how serious the pandemic is and how dangerous COVID is/was.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
I’m not surprised that this is all you think people did prior to your weak-*** generation. Y’all can’t even accept the gender you’re born as.

I didnt think Goat thinks those are literally all there was in terms of health/weight loss prior to millennials becoming adults.
He just listed a few things, but that doesnt mean or even hint at him thinking those are all there was.

Jesus, I just took up for Goat thats how bad your post is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login