As of now, from what I can see, we have the following players in the portal:
Jeffries
Fountain
Carter
Rumph
Watts
Applewhite
Davis-UAB

My question is this: How does a transfer at this point benefit a player that played somewhat minimally their first year on campus? The "fresh start" line does not hold water unless there is something off the court that is an issue. With a new coach, you're getting a fresh start, so there's no on-court need to change schools. Now I get some, like Davis, transferring to a smaller school for that playing time, because it was clear that he could not excel here.

I get that the portal is essentially "free agency" these days, but why leave when you've yet to showcase what you're even capable of?

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
As of now, from what I can see, we have the following players in the portal:
Jeffries
Fountain
Carter
Rumph
Watts
Applewhite
Davis-UAB

My question is this: How does a transfer at this point benefit a player that played somewhat minimally their first year on campus? The "fresh start" line does not hold water unless there is something off the court that is an issue. With a new coach, you're getting a fresh start, so there's no on-court need to change schools. Now I get some, like Davis, transferring to a smaller school for that playing time, because it was clear that he could not excel here.

I get that the portal is essentially "free agency" these days, but why leave when you've yet to showcase what you're even capable of?
I guess Watts, Davis and Jeffries have to sit out a year? Especially dumb for them. I guess the rest just really liked Howland, fairly obvious he was not very hard on them.

Many of these guys are going to find out that transferring isn't always the best option.

Aug 28, 2018
I'd venture to say they won't sit. I see things moving towards "coaching change" being an "unforeseen circumstance beyond control" which will begin to allow the free movement of players in these situations.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008

Its a coaching change- transfers happened by the ton during coaching changes even before the portal and ability to transfer without sitting. Now that the portal and transfer exception are in place, transfers are happening by the truckload.
If a player didnt establish themselves as a freshman, they may still want to transfer for the following reasons...
- dont like the university as much as they thought.
- dont like the athletic dept as much as they thought.
- want to be closer to home for any number of reasons.
- dont like the new coach.
- dont see their playing time improving based on who the new coach is bringing in.
- like the new coach, but dont fit the new coach's style of play(passing QB in a run heavy offense).

...and more.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
While I haven’t seen any hard data, I’ve read a few comments in recent months about the number of guys in the portal from the last year or two that never found a home. I think these statements were mainly centered around football, but something tells me that reports are coming, and the number of players that traded a good situation for essentially nothing will be staggering.

Aug 28, 2018
I don't disagree with you. I think the portal era has just brought MASS roster overhauls. There have always been a couple year in and year out that leave a school, but now schools are losing the majority of a roster from one year to the next.

Aug 28, 2018
Yes, I don't think anyone that has transferred out in the past few years has gone on to truly excel somewhere else. Have some been serviceable? Sure. But I can't recall one that I've said "man, he could've been doing that for us."

PirateDawg

Jan 9, 2020
Formal contracts would fix this situation. Since we are now working with professional athletes lets take the next step and quit allowing them to live in both worlds!

kired

Aug 22, 2008
Now I get some, like Davis, transferring to a smaller school for that playing time, because it was clear that he could not excel here.

UAB made the tournament. I know, they got in by winning the c-usa tournament. But still... he may not find more playing time there (I have no clue what their roster looks like).

I think it's all about relationships. The portal gives players an opportunity to go play immediately for a coach they know and were recruited by for years. These are all local kids and have known college coaches in the southeast since they were 14-15 years old. They probably never met Jans before last month with him being in New Mexico. Would you rather stick around and play for a guy you've never met, or - for example in the case of Davis - hop over to UAB and play for Andy Kennedy, who probably recruited Davis all through high school?

LandArchDawg

Sep 14, 2003
Add Moore to the list. Looks like we have just 4 scholarship players returning from last year's team.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
I'd venture to say they won't sit. I see things moving towards "coaching change" being an "unforeseen circumstance beyond control" which will begin to allow the free movement of players in these situations.
Is this a rule? Or are you assuming the NCAA approves their waivers?

We Men

Oct 24, 2018
Another question, that's probably been discussed before, but what happens to these guys if nobody accepts them? No longer at State? No scolly here anymore?

Aug 28, 2018
Heck, make it 1 yr or 4 yr contracts. The 1 yr contracts are valued less than the 4 yr. You commit to a 4 yr, you get more scholly money per yr. You can transfer at any time, but you can only sign a total of 2 contracts--If you sign a 1 yr initially and transfer, you either sign a "long term" or get no scholarship. If you initially sign a 4 yr, then transfer before it is over, you can only sign a 1 yr deal. Either way, you only get 2 schools MAX if you want scholarship money.
If you leave 1 year into your 4 year contract, that guarantees you only 2 years of total scholarship. Essentially you can get 4 years of max scholarship, or 2 years of reduced scholarship. I bet that would cut down on some commitment issues.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Another question, that's probably been discussed before, but what happens to these guys if nobody accepts them? No longer at State? No scolly here anymore?
Entering your name in the portal means you can still come back if the current school hasnt already filled your spot. If there is no place to go, then the player chooses what they are going to do next in life. Stay at the college? Go to a different college? Trade Bitcoin? Who knows.

Most D1 scholarship athletes could play at a D2 college and get at least half a scholarship, or NAIA and be on scholarship.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Welcome to the new reality. Every player is a free agent every year if they want to be.

columbiadawg2

Feb 2, 2010
You also have to consider the other side of things. Often when a new staff comes in several players will be let's say encouraged to test the transfer market in order to free up scholarships. That is even more rampant now that teams have a massive amount of transfers to pull from in order to overhaul a roster.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login