Memorable games when The Hump was totally electric (that I attended)

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
1994 vs. #1 Arkansas...State won by one squeezing out an improbable win against Nolan Richardson's "40 Minutes of Hell". When David Domingue set a half-court pick that leveled the hell out one the Razorback players, Nolan was so pissed that the kid was injured and no foul was called. I remember him clomping around the floor in his boots so angry at the refs.

2004 vs. #5 Kentucky...State was 13-0 going into this game and got down early. Gary Ervin had a coming out party bringing high energy and helping State fight back, but State fell short by one at the end. This may have been the 2nd best MSU team ever fielded, too bad we didn't have a deep bench.

1995 vs. Ole Miss...State pound Ole Miss by over 40 points in what seemed more like an out-of-control house party than a basketball game.

T-TownDawgg

Nov 4, 2015
One that my son and I attended was Charles Rhodes last game, Senior night. Ran bama outta the gym. Nuclear electric atmosphere. Charles kissed midcourt on his way off the court for the last time.

Those crowds back then were something to behold.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
I was on the third row of that 04 Kentucky game and it was deafening. Pretty much any of those 04 conference games were electric. The Ole Miss game where Stansbury got thrown out was crazy loud.

I think it was the next season the night that Winsome Frazier came back from being injured. Place went bananas when he checked into the game.

klong-dog

Aug 22, 2012
I was at the Kentucky game, maybe 01? We were down 21-2 to start the game. Fault all the way back and Super Mario hit the game tying 3 as time expired. We won in OT. It was electric that day.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
I remember the Stans toss: I think the SID had to stay between Stans and the refs because Stans was almost *uncontrollably hot*....Crowd ate that up

PirateDawg

Jan 9, 2020
I was at that game too. We went out on the ramp between the Hump and Dudy-Noble at halftime so my wife could smoke. My buddy said we should leave now to beat the traffic to a nice restaurant. I told him we could still come back.. He laughed and said, "You do know we're playing 17'n Kentucky don't you?" He thanked me after the game.

SyonaraStanz

Mar 5, 2010
I was on the third row of that 04 Kentucky game and it was deafening. Pretty much any of those 04 conference games were electric. The Ole Miss game where Stansbury got thrown out was crazy loud.

I think it was the next season the night that Winsome Frazier came back from being injured. Place went bananas when he checked into the game.

I attended all of those games. It was a natural high being in that atmosphere.

I think it was that same season we were at Rosey Baby’s watching the FL away game, getting free shots of beer with every made 3. Bowers, Power and Frazier contributed to a really good buzz that night.

MSUDC11

Aug 23, 2012
Not a men’s game, but the 2018 women’s game against South Carolina was a freaking awesome atmosphere. Easily the hottest crowd the Hump has seen in the last decade.

My timing for men’s basketball has been poor, sadly. I lived far away growing up and looked forward to being a student and being part of those big crowds… unfortunately my five years of college consisted of Stansbury’s last year, the Rick Ray era, and Howland’s first year. Not a whole lot of fun.

1msucub

Oct 3, 2004
I was at the Kentucky game, maybe 01? We were down 21-2 to start the game. Fault all the way back and Super Mario hit the game tying 3 as time expired. We won in OT. It was electric that day.

So was I. Just unbelievable, man.

QuadrupleOption

Aug 21, 2012

2002. It was so packed out that when my wife and I arrived (we were students) there were NO seats to be had. She managed to find a single seat and I just stood on the concourse the entire game. When Mario Austin hit that 3 to send it to OT it was so loud you couldn't hear yourself think.

047Dog

Jan 29, 2020
The crazy comeback against Florida in the 90s where Darryl Wilson couldn’t miss. Lot of students didn’t come to the game due to midterms but by the end of the game it filled up and was crazy

Bobby Ricigliano

Jul 27, 2011
It was the Director of Facilities, I believe, that held him back. Bobby Tomlinson, if I recall correctly.

Bobby Ricigliano

Jul 27, 2011
1999 Auburn game when they had Chris Porter. I think they were ranked #2. We lost a close game, but the Hump was filled to the brim & frothing over.

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
That might’ve been the craziest game in MSU basketball history. We were down 38-22 with 15:30 left in the game and outscored Florida 48-9 the rest of the game to win by 23 points. Unbelievable.

Bill Shankly

Nov 27, 2020
The craziest I ever saw it was the LSU game in 1991 when we clinched the SEC Title. I was at nearly all the home games from 1989 till the year before we fired Stans.

Nunya.sixpack

Jun 10, 2019
Quadruple overtime ... Greg Carter vs Gerald Glass.

My voice was gone. I was damn sure too tired to walk back to Suttle.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Every game our Final Four season. It was the last time as a student I could go to almost every home game. After graduation and during Stansbury's good years getting tickets was a hard as finding hen's teeth and I was working a lot of hours plus raising 3 kids. We also lost every time I went so I quit going and took one for the team.

reasonableron

Nov 27, 2021
2007 vs Florida. White out. The only time anyone sat was during a timeout. Then you’d see white shirts and blue jeans. Dawgs came up short, but that UF team was incredible.

NTDawg

Mar 2, 2012
The most electric atmosphere that I have ever experienced. I could actually feel the electricity in the air was in 1991 when we played LSU for a share of the regular season title. Shaq was on the bench, hurt I think. My memories are fuzzy of some of the game details but I can still vividly remember the feeling of electricity on my skin a feeling that never had since.

Last edited:

stateu1

Mar 21, 2016
Every game our Final Four season. It was the last time as a student I could go to almost every home game. After graduation and during Stansbury's good years getting tickets was a hard as finding hen's teeth and I was working a lot of hours plus raising 3 kids. We also lost every time I went so I quit going and took one for the team.
Member when the students could sit in fold out chairs on the plywood risers court side? Good times.

Quincy A. Wagstaff

May 28, 2020
This got me curious. We've only won 4 games vs. ranked opponents since 2012 including last night. All 4 wins at home under Howland:

-2018 vs. #22 Arkansas
-2019 vs. #16 Auburn (State was ranked #22)
-2021 vs. #13 Missouri
-2022 vs. #24 Alabama

Last edited:

stateu1

Mar 21, 2016
We camped out for UK game in 96. Womens played UT at like noon and mens uk at 6. Drunk as hell off screw drivers by 10 am.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
The post game interview after that game with Stans and Jack is epic. I wish there was an archive of it somewhere.

Steeldog

Aug 26, 2012
One I won't forget was back in 1979 (when I was in school). State was playing a ranked Kentucky team. Close game the whole way. State rebounds a missed free throw with 6 minutes left and a tied game. State goes into a 6 minute stall. No shots, no changes of possession, don't recall any time outs (pre-shot clock). Ray White hits a jumper with 3 seconds to take the win.

43 years ago yesterday. Gee I'm old.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Also that 04 year when they were down in the second halves of games and Stans would cross his arms to make the sign to go to the 1-3-1 trap everyone knew what was about to happen. Brandon Vincent at the top smothering guards.

Dogpatrol

Mar 12, 2021
The 1991 game against LSU stands out and if I remember correctly we introduced JWS as head coach that day.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
I was at the ‘91 LSU game— even spent the night at the Hump.

I sat in those fold out chairs a few times in the late 80s. Sometimes you could find an available chair 10 minutes until tip-off.

Duke Humphrey

Oct 3, 2013
Joakim Noah said it was “deafening”

2007 vs Florida. White out. The only time anyone sat was during a timeout. Then you’d see white shirts and blue jeans. Dawgs came up short, but that UF team was incredible.

And loudest place he’d ever played.

dogmatic

Aug 22, 2012
I was in the student section for the '94 Arkansas game, maybe six or eight rows up from the floor. Absolutely magical.

Darryl Wilson nailed a buzzer-beater from half court to end the first half and I thought the Hump would explode.

After the Domingue pick, Coach Richardson stood over the carcass of his fallen player and stared at us students with cold hatred. I don't know what he wanted to happen. Domingue had been set stock still where he was at mid-court roughly from the time the ball was inbounded. There was no foul to be called on him. Our ball-handler dribbled past Domingue to skillfully scrape off the defender. The defender hit Domingue and went down like a poleaxed goat.

A couple Arkansas fans had somehow gotten themselves seats near the front row of our student section. When one of them produced a posterboard sign to hold up for TV camera attention, one of my friends snatched it away from him and tore it up. At the end of the game, the two Razorbacks fled up the stairs for their lives beneath a hail of taunts, litter and derision.

stateu1

Mar 21, 2016
I was in the student section for the '94 Arkansas game, maybe six or eight rows up from the floor. Absolutely magical.

Darryl Wilson nailed a buzzer-beater from half court to end the first half and I thought the Hump would explode.

After the Domingue pick, Coach Richardson stood over the carcass of his fallen player and stared at us students with cold hatred. I don't know what he wanted to happen. Domingue had been set stock still where he was at mid-court roughly from the time the ball was inbounded. There was no foul to be called on him. Our ball-handler dribbled past Domingue to skillfully scrape off the defender. The defender hit Domingue and went down like a poleaxed goat.

A couple Arkansas fans had somehow gotten themselves seats near the front row of our student section. When one of them produced a posterboard sign to hold up for TV camera attention, one of my friends snatched it away from him and tore it up. At the end of the game, the two Razorbacks fled up the stairs for their lives beneath a hail of taunts, litter and derision.

Domingue straight killed that guy.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
1994 vs. #1 Arkansas...State won by one squeezing out an improbable win against Nolan Richardson's "40 Minutes of Hell". When David Domingue set a half-court pick that leveled the hell out one the Razorback players, Nolan was so pissed that the kid was injured and no foul was called.

Is this the game where empty pizza boxes reigned down and covered the floor at the end of the game?

Willow Grove Dawg

Nov 3, 2016
Two forgotten games from 1979 that were crazy

Kentucky - game was tied at 61 with 5 minutes. We hold the ball for the last 5 minutes in the 4 corners (pre shot clock) and Ray White hits a jumper from the top of the key at the buzzer to win 63-61
Ole Miss triple overtime 101-92 win. John Stroud scored 42 for Ole Miss. Ole Miss coach Bob Weltich was called for 3 technicals in the third OT, the final one because he wouldn’t leave the court when he was ejected. Greg Grimm shot free throws for about 5 minutes.

InTheIttaBenaHotSun

Jan 9, 2016
The 1991 game against LSU stands out and if I remember correctly we introduced JWS as head coach that day.

Could be wrong but I think that was the ballgame that Jackie showed up that morning with donuts for all the students that had camped out the night before. I didn't camp out but I was in the stands at tip off.

Also think I remember a huge gorilla blow up doll dressed in an LSU basketball uniform making it's way into the Hump that day.

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
State lost to Florida one of the years Florida won the national championship. It was the loudest game I ever went to.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login