Memorable games when The Hump was totally electric (that I attended)

grimedawg1

Aug 25, 2012
You’re right!

Could be wrong but I think that was the ballgame that Jackie showed up that morning with donuts for all the students that had camped out the night before. I didn't camp out but I was in the stands at tip off.

Also think I remember a huge gorilla blow up doll dressed in an LSU basketball uniform making it's way into the Hump that day.

You are right on both counts. When the gorilla made its way in before the game it was hilarious and fired the crowd up as it made its way down courtside.

(I believe state had whipped lsu earlier in the season with Shaq playing.)

SirBarksalot

May 28, 2007
Not looking up the year, but vs LSU with O’Neill and Roberts on the court. I believe we had just had a snow storm. (Could be mixing things up).
Hobey Hobart had a “prop” that might not go over so well today…

ed: I’m mixing up my games. Roberts and O’Neil only played together in 89-90. So wasn’t ‘91

Last edited:

SirBarksalot

May 28, 2007
Two forgotten games from 1979 that were crazy

Kentucky - game was tied at 61 with 5 minutes. We hold the ball for the last 5 minutes in the 4 corners (pre shot clock) and Ray White hits a jumper from the top of the key at the buzzer to win 63-61
Ole Miss triple overtime 101-92 win. John Stroud scored 42 for Ole Miss. Ole Miss coach Bob Weltich was called for 3 technicals in the third OT, the final one because he wouldn’t leave the court when he was ejected. Greg Grimm shot free throws for about 5 minutes.
Damn you’re old.

tcdog70

Sep 24, 2012
2 Great games
1. The night we let the riff-raff in. So Wimp said -ice storm. And we beat that Bama ***.
2. Who dat game in the Nit against Alcorn. The Hump has never been that wild.

SirBarksalot

May 28, 2007
Could be wrong but I think that was the ballgame that Jackie showed up that morning with donuts for all the students that had camped out the night before. I didn't camp out but I was in the stands at tip off.

Also think I remember a huge gorilla blow up doll dressed in an LSU basketball uniform making it's way into the Hump that day.
That’s it…Hadn’t it snowed pretty fierce the day/night prior?
Pretty sure that’s the same weekend I met Shannon Hoon at my buddy’s apartment…

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
I was at the ‘91 LSU game— even spent the night at the Hump.

I sat in those fold out chairs a few times in the late 80s. Sometimes you could find an available chair 10 minutes until tip-off.

...in the lower deck sometimes, too. Those 80's teams were lean. I enjoyed watch Jeff Malone in the early 80's -- a hell of shooter

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
Wasn't that '79 team the one with Tom Schuberth? A very solid team

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
One game I wish I did attend was the '82 UGA game which had Dominique Wilkins on the UGA squad. I had to study for an exam and listened to the game on the radio. I think this game started unusually late due to snow/ice or some weather condition. State lost 25-21 by stalling.

What stuck out most to me was listening to Jack Cristil call this game and attempting to make the State stall sound interesting (which -- to his credit -- he did)

Herbert Nenninger

Feb 9, 2019
I used to have a pic of the line of students waiting to get tickets to the ‘04 Kentucky game. Had it as my screensaver for a while. Pretty sure it was the first day of the semester. I got in line right at 7 and was late for my 9am class.

klong-dog

Aug 22, 2012
I was at the game against Florida in the early 90's and Florida's (center) Dwayne Schintzius had been in the national news in recent days for beating someone with a tennis racket, I think it was. And our crowd booooed him everytime he touched the ball and then at one point, the crowd threw tennis balls on the court, if I remember correctly.

Does anyone else remember this one?

KingBarkus

May 1, 2006
Two forgotten games from 1979 that were crazy

Kentucky - game was tied at 61 with 5 minutes. We hold the ball for the last 5 minutes in the 4 corners (pre shot clock) and Ray White hits a jumper from the top of the key at the buzzer to win 63-61
Ole Miss triple overtime 101-92 win. John Stroud scored 42 for Ole Miss. Ole Miss coach Bob Weltich was called for 3 technicals in the third OT, the final one because he wouldn’t leave the court when he was ejected. Greg Grimm shot free throws for about 5 minutes.
I attended both of these games. White, from Gulfport as I, hit that shot and we went nuts. No 3 point line those days.

KingBarkus

May 1, 2006
One game I wish I did attend was the '82 UGA game which had Dominique Wilkins on the UGA squad. I had to study for an exam and listened to the game on the radio. I think this game started unusually late due to snow/ice or some weather condition. State lost 25-21 by stalling.

What stuck out most to me was listening to Jack Cristil call this game and attempting to make the State stall sound interesting (which -- to his credit -- he did)
Attended this game too. Wiley Peck was doing calisthenics during a possession.

PirateDawg

Jan 9, 2020
I was at that those games too! Never missed a home game and I graduated Dec. 1979. That was a great team. Who could forget the explosion in the Hump when Ray hit that shot! It was deafening. What a great moment. Wiley Peck was special too. I remember him one hand faking passes.

NTDawg

Mar 2, 2012
Not looking up the year, but vs LSU with O’Neill and Roberts on the court. I believe we had just had a snow storm. (Could be mixing things up).
Hobey Hobart had a “prop” that might not go over so well today…

I think that the snow game was 92 and us clinching a share of the title was 91.

tc9698

Jan 28, 2020
I attended all of those games. It was a natural high being in that atmosphere.

I think it was that same season we were at Rosey Baby’s watching the FL away game, getting free shots of beer with every made 3. Bowers, Power and Frazier contributed to a really good buzz that night.

That was around the same time we played Stanford in the first round of the tournament and hit about 20 threes. Rosey Baby couldn't keep up with all the free beer.

Junction John

Oct 22, 2014
Evidence. The audio from back then does not do it justice, but boys, trust me when I say it was a sad day when they moved students off the floor.

eta: if you youngsters ever wonder why old folks have a special place for Cameron Burns, here you go:

Last edited:

Maroon90

Sep 23, 2009
Re: the Schintzius game in the late 80s. I remember one or two tennis balls being thrown--enough for the officials to issue a warning but no technical foul was called. The students rode Schintzius mercilessly, and he egged it on. Almost every trip down the floor on defense in the second half he would scratch his head with his middle finger and provoke us to take it up a notch.

Dog316

Aug 21, 2012
I attended all of those games. It was a natural high being in that atmosphere.

I think it was that same season we were at Rosey Baby’s watching the FL away game, getting free shots of beer with every made 3. Bowers, Power and Frazier contributed to a really good buzz that night.

<><><>
For a guy whose handle is SyonaraStanz I’m amazed you would actually admit you enjoyed anything Stansbury was involved in. His firing literally killed attendance at the Hump. No one can deny that fact.

dahmer17

Aug 25, 2012
Played Georgie in 82? maybe. Ice had shut down a lot of things. Except for students the Hump was mostly empty. We won at the very end and Hugh Durham chased after the refs. Characterized the fans as mean/hooligans or something. Said they let in anybody ( because of weather game was free I think) Really pissed about a call at the end of the game. Walked back to Suttle hall afterwards.

My memory is bad Score was like 25-22? Bob Boyd had nothing to work with so we did 4 corners/held the ball thing.

dahmer17

Aug 25, 2012
2 Great games
1. The night we let the riff-raff in. So Wimp said -ice storm. And we beat that Bama ***.
2. Who dat game in the Nit against Alcorn. The Hump has never been that wild.

Wasn't that Georgia and not alabama?

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021

SGIDawg

Jan 6, 2022
I was there and ate one of those donuts and there was huge gorilla blow up doll in the crowd....Also, if I remember correctly, I think one of the LSU players (maybe Caesar) had recently gotten a DUI and every time he went to shoot free throws, the student section chanted "D..U..I....D..U..I..."

Connor Mead

Mar 4, 2014
The Stans era may not have ended the way we all would have liked, but man were there some unbelievable atmospheres when he was here. The Hump hasn't been the same since, outside of a few women's games under Vic, but they weren't even close to SEC games under Stans.

NOATLDAWG

Dec 29, 2020
Some underappreciated ones... 1991, the Todd Merritt corner 3 that beat UK, Cameron Burns hitting FTs over Ole Miss to win (or send us to OT to then win, I think) and the clincher over LSU/Shaq.

And I was there for every home game between 1996-2005 which were some truly great years...

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
The crazy comeback against Florida in the 90s where Darryl Wilson couldn’t miss. Lot of students didn’t come to the game due to midterms but by the end of the game it filled up and was crazy
Yep, we were down big in that game at half I believe. Then he just went on a roll and we blew them the 17 out.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
I was in the student section for the '94 Arkansas game, maybe six or eight rows up from the floor. Absolutely magical.

Darryl Wilson nailed a buzzer-beater from half court to end the first half and I thought the Hump would explode.

After the Domingue pick, Coach Richardson stood over the carcass of his fallen player and stared at us students with cold hatred. I don't know what he wanted to happen. Domingue had been set stock still where he was at mid-court roughly from the time the ball was inbounded. There was no foul to be called on him. Our ball-handler dribbled past Domingue to skillfully scrape off the defender. The defender hit Domingue and went down like a poleaxed goat.

A couple Arkansas fans had somehow gotten themselves seats near the front row of our student section. When one of them produced a posterboard sign to hold up for TV camera attention, one of my friends snatched it away from him and tore it up. At the end of the game, the two Razorbacks fled up the stairs for their lives beneath a hail of taunts, litter and derision.
That was the game that started it all, I believe Arkansas was #1 or #2. We knew we had the makings of greatness for a while due to Dampier and others on that team. Led right into 1995, then Dontae added the extra piece in 1996 to make us a title contender.

We destroyed their *** the next year in Starkville too. Ran Corliss Williamson (and his lightning bolt fade) out of there.

If T.J. Honore had one more year of eligibility in 1996 instead of nimrod Bullard, we are national champs.

Last edited:

msu71

Mar 3, 2008
We had consecutive home games on Wednesday night against UT, Ole Miss, and Kentucky and we beat UT in OT, Ole Mis in 4OT, and Kentucky in OT. But my favorite was when Alabama had beaten us in Tuscaloosa when Kennedy Winston could not be stopped. They came back for the rematch at the Hump. It was packed and Mark Gottfried was their coach. At the half, we were up by at least 25. Midway through the 2nd half, we had a 40 point lead. Gottfried sat down and said nothing the rest of the way. We beat the crap out of them, something to the tune of 98-46, probably the largest margin of victory for us in the series.

I was at the very 1st SEC home game at the Hump against Kentucky. Gary Hooker, Wiley Peck and company beat them. Kentucky has played the last game in the old McCarthy gym the previous year and blew us out. Real sweet. What a great coach Ron Greene was. Tyler should have never let him go. He took Gary Hooker with him to Murray State.

Nunya.sixpack

Jun 10, 2019
Hah...because my friend and I sat in the same seats every game for four years, I'm clearly visible (although not recognizable) at the OT tip off. I don't know that we could have been any quieter for Smoke on the line to send it to OT

G-Dawg

Sep 6, 2012
Quadruple overtime ... Greg Carter vs Gerald Glass.

My voice was gone. I was damn sure too tired to walk back to Suttle.

I was a student in the lower bowl for that one. Felt like I had played when it was over. Everyone around us was sweating like we had all played. GREAT times at the Hump. We need to take some flowers to Hank Flick's grave or something...

Jun 21, 2013
January of 1979.... #17 Kentucky at the hump. The Dogs are down 61-60 with almost 6 minutes to go. There is no shot clock, and we hold it for one shot. Ray White rattles in a 3 from the top of key. That was the most nerve wrenching and exciting finish to any game that I've ever witnessed.....

tcdog70

Sep 24, 2012
We had consecutive home games on Wednesday night against UT, Ole Miss, and Kentucky and we beat UT in OT, Ole Mis in 4OT, and Kentucky in OT. But my favorite was when Alabama had beaten us in Tuscaloosa when Kennedy Winston could not be stopped. They came back for the rematch at the Hump. It was packed and Mark Gottfried was their coach. At the half, we were up by at least 25. Midway through the 2nd half, we had a 40 point lead. Gottfried sat down and said nothing the rest of the way. We beat the crap out of them, something to the tune of 98-46, probably the largest margin of victory for us in the series.

I was at the very 1st SEC home game at the Hump against Kentucky. Gary Hooker, Wiley Peck and company beat them. Kentucky has played the last game in the old McCarthy gym the previous year and blew us out. Real sweet. What a great coach Ron Greene was. Tyler should have never let him go. He took Gary Hooker with him to Murray State.

The old Greene machine--was when the HUMP was really rocking. Remember the fat guy on the stick horse with the lone ranger mask that would run and down the sidelines to the William tell overture (lone ranger theme).

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
. Remember the fat guy on the stick horse with the lone ranger mask that would run and down the sidelines to the William tell overture (lone ranger theme).

I remember when the MSU men cheerleaders would do the same with the megaphones - ha!

MedDawg

Apr 24, 2009

I was at that game, I think it was 12-8 at halftime. The stall certainly did slow down Dominique Wilkins.

If Jeff Malone only had a 3-point line--many of his 2 point jumpers were farther away than any of the 3 point lines.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
The Merritt corner 3 against UK was in '89.

That was the last home basketball game of the regular season for me as an undergrad: UPI story.

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
Played Georgie in 82? maybe. Ice had shut down a lot of things. Except for students the Hump was mostly empty. We won at the very end and Hugh Durham chased after the refs. Characterized the fans as mean/hooligans or something. Said they let in anybody ( because of weather game was free I think) Really pissed about a call at the end of the game. Walked back to Suttle hall afterwards.

My memory is bad Score was like 25-22? Bob Boyd had nothing to work with so we did 4 corners/held the ball thing.

I was there for that game. Don't remember the score but we did run the stall all night. Hugh Durham got sideways with a call then out of control and racked up like three technical fouls ending up in him running out on the court AFTER he was kicked out of the game. He just would not leave. The fans were giving him unholy hell and laughing our butts off. Malone shot all of the foul shots and made em all I think.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login