Memphis finally getting a Top Golf….in a not so great location.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Germantown Rd and Bill Morris Parkway. That just seems like a total disaster waiting to happen

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
It’s not the worst location, but seems odd

The city officials have said before TG wasn’t interested in Memphis because there were no prime locations available. I guess they decided to settle.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Wow, that was my Walmart of choice in 2001. You mean that area has bitten the bullet?

Birmingham's went into a rough area too (although gentrifying, helped by Topgolf itself). They had a couple of shootings, one of which busted out the Topgolf logo. Since then it's been alright I guess, haha.

Be easier for Desoto County folks I guess, assuming you can still drive up Hack's Cross without getting capped.

Last edited:

stateu1

Mar 21, 2016
Wow, that was my Walmart of choice in 2001. You mean that area has bitten the bullet?

Birmingham's went into a rough area too (although gentrifying, helped by Topgolf itself). They had a couple of shootings, one of which busted out the Topgolf logo. Since then it's been alright I guess, haha.

Be easier for Desoto County folks I guess, assuming you can still drive up Hack's Cross without getting capped.

Germantown road is pretty bad as is Hacks.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
I had a bunch of friends in high school that lived off of Riverdale and Shelby Drive. It has gone down pretty bad.

PBRME

Feb 12, 2004
I drove by Winchester and Hacks this week for the first time since I changed jobs in 2011. Was shocked to see Target and Best Buy gone.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
The mall with US Male, Babbages, and the candy store back in the day. Service Merchandise right down the road,

Then the Best Buy, Joe’s crab shack, and fazoli’s era a little later. Those were the days

Aug 24, 2012
Not disputing east Memphis has crime, but I grew up in Westwood off West Shelby Dr.at Coro Lake. We drove east to get to Southland Mall and movies at SouthBrooke mall.
Get yourself some real problems

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Not disputing east Memphis has crime, but I grew up in Westwood off West Shelby Dr.at Coro Lake. We drove east to get to Southland Mall and movies at SouthBrooke mall.

I am familiar with Westhood. Go Westeners! The fine folks that hung out at Panchos and the movie theater in southbrook mall back in the day moved out to hickory hood and procreated.

PBDog

Oct 1, 2021
It’s a damn shame to hear this city after city. Build more prisons!!!!!

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
That area is fine.

Germantown Rd and Bill Morris Parkway. That just seems like a total disaster waiting to happen

Only suspect route would be if you have to drive in on Winchester from the west. Anything else it's all good.

Just stinks there's not much additional entertainment in the area. Strip malls and nothing else.

PBRME

Feb 12, 2004

A couple of my early childhood memories are from that mall. I was little so my memory isn’t perfect. The Christmas enchanted forest at goldsmiths. Also the movie theater across the street is where I watched what I believe was my first movie in a theater. Empire Strikes Back.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
We used to go to Southland Mall a little when I was a kid mostly because it was the closest Sears and my dad had all craftsman tools. I remember the Enchanted Forest there a little bit, it’s funny that now all those same little characters are still used at the Enchanted Forest at the Pink Palace.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
That was kinda my point and not just from a crime standpoint. There’s nothing else around it. I guess maybe they’re hope is it revitalizes that part of town.

stateu1

Mar 21, 2016
We used to go to Southland Mall a little when I was a kid mostly because it was the closest Sears and my dad had all craftsman tools. I remember the Enchanted Forest there a little bit, it’s funny that now all those same little characters are still used at the Enchanted Forest at the Pink Palace.
And Piccadilly which > Cracker Barrel

msstatelp1

Aug 21, 2012
That was kinda my point and not just from a crime standpoint. There’s nothing else around it. I guess maybe they’re hope is it revitalizes that part of town.

Besides the beautiful views of Car Max, Wal-Mart, and Sam's Club, the only other reasons I could think of was being visible from 385 and easy access for Germantown folks.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
My bad

I think I'm just conditioned to hear nothing but Memphis crime gripes.

Good news is that most folks that go to top golf are making a long event out of it. It may not matter that there's not a ton of other entertainment near it. As long as it's convenient to get to for target audience they should be fine. Hopefully the rest of that land develops along with the Top Golf project as well. Surely it does.

PBRME

Feb 12, 2004
Besides the beautiful views of Car Max, Wal-Mart, and Sam's Club, the only other reasons I could think of was being visible from 385 and easy access for Germantown folks.

There’s a Hooters in front of Sam’s Club now. I thought it was out of place until this thread. Target audience.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
I am familiar with Westhood. Go Westeners! The fine folks that hung out at Panchos and the movie theater in southbrook mall back in the day moved out to hickory hood and procreated.
Random question for you Memphibians. Talking about Westhood reminded me of this Western bar in the Bartlett area that I went to a few times 20 years ago. It was a like a line dancing redneck deal til about 11 or so, then because just a late not spot with a DJ with all types of craziness.

Does that place still exist? I know a lot of folks from Southaven/OB used to go there from time to time.

Aug 23, 2012
That would be either Neon Moon close to Bartlett in the old Hungry Fisherman or possibly Shooters out in Raleigh. Neon Moon is gone. Not sure about Shooters.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Shooters burned down a few years back.
That's it....Shooters. Had a bunch of pool tables in the back to the right. Seemed like you walked in, stage to the left, bar to the right.

RIP to that and Platinum, seems like a lifetime ago.

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2012
If you didn’t go to safety town during the summer at Southland mall parking lot, you weren’t living the dream.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login