Men’s Basketball makes nonconference slate official.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
The complaints I have: Two SWAC schools, two Southland teams, and a 1st year D1 program.

I love the schedule strength otherwise as well as the road and neutral site games.

Reactions: Dawgg

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013
The complaints I have: Two SWAC schools, two Southland teams, and a 1st year D1 program.

I love the schedule strength otherwise as well as the road and neutral site games.
I agree, it seems like even when we have good games having a couple SWAC still kills us with RPI

Reactions: patdog

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Playing Utah in Southaven is interesting. Will help RPI to make it a neutral game vs. a home game. But part of me wishes we’d have scheduled that one in Starkville, and play the Bethune-Cookman game in Southaven since its taking place over the winter break anyways.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Playing Utah in Southaven is interesting. Will help RPI to make it a neutral game vs. a home game. But part of me wishes we’d have scheduled that one in Starkville, and play the Bethune-Cookman game in Southaven since its taking place over the winter break anyways.
From what I was told Utah just wanted to do a one off and not a home and home so that was the reasoning by it being in Southaven.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

DawgatAuburn

Apr 25, 2006
I don't know that it's all that much better. Six home games last year, six more this year but Pitt definitely an upgrade over anything we had last year.. Six neutral and one road game last year, Five neutral and two road games this year. All in all pretty close.

Last year we ended up at non-con SOS of 234. At the end it broke down as:
Q1: 1
Q2: 3
Q3: 3
Q4: 6

This year, based off initial rankings on Torvik, it is:
Q1: 2 (at Memphis, at SMU)*
Q2: 4 (Pitt, McNeese in Tupelo, Utah in Southaven, UNLV in Tempe)*
Q3: 0
*If we play Northwestern in Tempe, add a Q1 game. If we play Butler instead, add a Q2 game.

Regardless, seven games in Q1/Q2 as opposed to only four such games last year would be great. But the three Q3 games from last year were all games I bet we thought would be at least Q2 games. Arizona State, Rutgers and Tulane all ended up in Q3. Those were neutral site games. Only Rutgers was even remotely close to being Q2. This year we will be watching the NET of those seven teams closely.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Love the neutral site games. Would love to get one at the Coast Coliseum. Ole Miss is playing USM there this December. I believe they have played that game there several times over the last few years.
I do too. It's great for basketball and much easier to do than baseball, which often involves spending the night, multiple games, etc. And especially good during the early season when you have to contend with holidays on campus, and smaller crowds in general anyway. Gets us to the population centers.

Southaven, Tupelo. Jackson.

It sure would be nice if they would come to the Coast. They do it for baseball.
Should move the Jackson one to the Coast. Until the Jackson Metro gets a decent venue to play, I wouldn't even bother with going there. The Coliseum isn't good for anything anymore except the rodeo and fair.

Reactions: GulfDawg

TrueMaroonGrind

Jan 6, 2017
Good schedule for dawgs in North Mississippi. Looking forward to Tupelo and Southaven. Wish I could make it to the Memphis game too, but Christmas week is tough. Either way having multiple neutral sites in Mississippi is awesome.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
I don't know that it's all that much better. Six home games last year, six more this year but Pitt definitely an upgrade over anything we had last year.. Six neutral and one road game last year, Five neutral and two road games this year. All in all pretty close.

Last year we ended up at non-con SOS of 234. At the end it broke down as:
Q1: 1
Q2: 3
Q3: 3

This year, based off initial rankings on Torvik, it is:
Q1: 2 (at Memphis, at SMU)*
Q2: 4 (Pitt, McNeese in Tupelo, Utah in Southaven, UNLV in Tempe)*
Q3: 0
*If we play Northwestern in Tempe, add a Q1 game. If we play Butler instead, add a Q2 game.

Regardless, seven games in Q1/Q2 as opposed to only four such games last year would be great. But the three Q3 games from last year were all games I bet we thought would be at least Q2 games. Arizona State, Rutgers and Tulane all ended up in Q3. Those were neutral site games. Only Rutgers was even remotely close to being Q2. This year we will be watching the NET of those seven teams closely.
So I started looking around at other SEC schedules. Almost every one of them include at least two SWAC/MEAC schools and most have at least two other Q4 games scheduled on top of those.

It’s not like State is doing something out of the ordinary with scheduling the Q4 games, it was playing (or lack of playing) the better teams Q1/Q2 teams that was the issue.

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
We could have done better and not scheduled W Georgia and Praire View.
Other than those two, good schedule.

RockyDog

Jan 2, 2023
We could have done better and not scheduled W Georgia and Praire View.
Other than those two, good schedule.
Agreed. This came up in a schedule discussion after this past season. We are surrounded by teams in the Sun Belt, CUSA, SOCON, and AAC. Play a few of those and leave the damn SWAC alone. Hell, we aren’t even throwing the Mississippi SWAC teams a bone. This isn’t rocket surgery

Reactions: Leeshouldveflanked

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Agreed. This came up in a schedule discussion after this past season. We are surrounded by teams in the Sun Belt, CUSA, SOCON, and AAC. Play a few of those and leave the damn SWAC alone. Hell, we aren’t even throwing the Mississippi SWAC teams a bone. This isn’t rocket surgery
It takes having willing participants on the other end of that equation. Again, go look at other SEC schedules and you’ll see many play just as many of those games.

Reactions: ll Martain ll

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
Gonna get a “sneak peak” preview vs Georgia Tech in October.
I’ll report back on a paid firewall site for only a small$ donation.

Aug 22, 2012
Solid schedule but wish we had more than one decent nonconference game actually at home. I get it’s around the holiday breaks, but it’s basically Pitt, right?🤷🏻‍♂️