Mike Wright transfer qb

QMartinez

Jan 17, 2023
Is he visiting this weekend ? I really like him as a potential starter in this offense, especially if we can land a couple tight ends.

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
Is he visiting this weekend ? I really like him as a potential starter in this offense, especially if we can land a couple tight ends.
Yes as a backup, no as a starter. His can run but his passing stats are not good. He got beat out by a freshman at Vandy, so I don’t see him as a starter here unless Will gets hurt.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
Parson would not be better than Will as a freshman. Wright probably won't beat Will out. But we definitely need someone to bridge the gap. Not too excited about going after Vandys back up QB but if Will gets hurt in game 4 it would be a blessing to have Mike Wright around. Crazy to go from 3 4* and a 3* 3 year starter to trying to lure Vandy's backup. Next year will be a better situation at QB I'm sure

QMartinez

Jan 17, 2023
If Will can’t function well in this offense, I can see Wrights running ability leading to playing time. I think this hinges on winning or losing games, if Will,struggles and we drop a few I think Wright is going to be given a shot. There’s no way he signs here if he wasn’t assured he could compete for the job.

patdog

May 28, 2007
If Will can’t function well in this offense, I can see Wrights running ability leading to playing time. I think this hinges on winning or losing games, if Will,struggles and we drop a few I think Wright is going to be given a shot. There’s no way he signs here if he wasn’t assured he could compete for the job.
I have zero concerns about Will functioning in this offense.

QMartinez

Jan 17, 2023
Not just mobility, I think stretching the field in the vertical passing game, arm strength is also something that will be a factor.

RiverCityDawg

Dec 30, 2009
I hope there is no real interest in Mike Wright. I was at the Vanderbilt game in Nashville last year and he was one of the worst college quarterbacks I’ve ever seen.
Well, our backups are currently not-100% healthy true freshman Chris Parson and walk on Jake Weir, so we desperately need another QB just to make sure we have a functional spring practice. Getting one with SEC starting experience who can at least run (even if he isn't a good passer) is about as good as we could hope for.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
Will's got some good passing skills but lacks football A$$ and needs to get in the weight room and grow some A$$. He shined in TWO of our SEC games but due to his limitations, our offense SUCKED in the other 6 and SUCKED in the bowl game. We need some semblence of a football player taking snaps.

QMartinez

Jan 17, 2023
I have major concerns about the new offense functioning around Will.
Agree with this. there is no system that hides wills deficiencies as well as the one he was just in, from what I’ve seen Barbays qb last year was semi athletic and rolled out alot and threw on the run quite a bit. Barbay also stretches the field vertically, requiring a qb who has some arm strength.

im not saying who will start, but if the goal is to win games , you have to give Wright a fair shot.

NWADawg

May 4, 2016
Agree with this. there is no system that hides wills deficiencies as well as the one he was just in, from what I’ve seen Barbays qb last year was semi athletic and rolled out alot and threw on the run quite a bit. Barbay also stretches the field vertically, requiring a qb who has some arm strength.

im not saying who will start, but if the goal is to win games , you have to give Wright a fair shot.
I'm not sure if Will can throw the ball down the field or not because I don't remember seeing him try. Is that because of the way the offense was designed (keep is safe / ball control) or everyone knew not to go past where Will could throw? There were times when he showed decent velocity on intermediate passes. Has anyone ever seee Will really just fling it to see how far he can throw.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Because tight ends are a necessity. They create another gap for defenses. Plus, you don’t have to get in the shotgun on the 1 and throw it.
I would argue that many, not necessarily you, on this board who consistently complained about RBs catching 5 yard passes out of the backfield would be pumped up about a TE running a 5 yard curl route. I just find that somewhat ironic/humorous.

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
Some folks on this board are going to be big mad when Will is named the starter at the end of fall camp.
I'm not going to be mad at all. But I do believe and have heard that the coaches told Wright he would be able to compete for the starting job. It only makes sense. A new OC is not married to anyone here and will play whomever he feels fits the best. If I had to guess Rogers will probably start and Wright will get some packages and perhaps special situations to play.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I'm not going to be mad at all. But I do believe and have heard that the coaches told Wright he would be able to compete for the starting job. It only makes sense. A new OC is not married to anyone here and will play whomever he feels fits the best. If I had to guess Rogers will probably start and Wright will get some packages and perhaps special situations to play.
I feel sure he wouldn't have came unless he was told he could compete for the starting job.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Yes as a backup, no as a starter. His can run but his passing stats are not good. He got beat out by a freshman at Vandy, so I don’t see him as a starter here unless Will gets hurt.
It could be coaching. He might get better here. He will also have a little more talent around him here.

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
I would argue that many, not necessarily you, on this board who consistently complained about RBs catching 5 yard passes out of the backfield would be pumped up about a TE running a 5 yard curl route. I just find that somewhat ironic/humorous.
I don't know if I ever complained about it, but 5 yards is 5 yards. And I don't want a TE in an offense for catching hitches. I want one to create an extra gap for defenses to open up the passing game. I want one so a qb can go under center and there can be a surge at the los on the goal line. I want it for the run game. Great teams run the damn football.

Reactions: horshack.sixpack

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Will does not have a strong arm
He doesn't have a strong enough arm to be throwing 15 and 20 yard outs, but he has a strong enough arm to throw over the top. I haven't watched Barbay's offense, but that may be good enough. It'd be great to have college Payton Manning that can make every throw, but I think being really accurate and a good decision maker and being able to throw fades and posts to keep people honest is usually plenty. Of course, of the handful of teams where what will can do isn't plenty, we are likely to play 2 or even 3 of them each year depending on the schedule.

QMartinez

Jan 17, 2023
He doesn't have a strong enough arm to be throwing 15 and 20 yard outs, but he has a strong enough arm to throw over the top. I haven't watched Barbay's offense, but that may be good enough. It'd be great to have college Payton Manning that can make every throw, but I think being really accurate and a good decision maker and being able to throw fades and posts to keep people honest is usually plenty. Of course, of the handful of teams where what will can do isn't plenty, we are likely to play 2 or even 3 of them each year depending on the schedule.
Sure, over the top for 25-30 yards, but not truly downfield throws like Costello could throw. Will is pretty limited throwing or running. I’m sure Barbay has watched every minute of our game film last year and knows better than anyone what Will can and can’t do.

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
Not just mobility, I think stretching the field in the vertical passing game, arm strength is also something that will be a factor.
Agreed. At this point, I don't think Will is ever going to have a strong enough arm to win big games. Some people just do not have the ability. When it become a problem, it is going to be too late. Put it this way, I would rather lose 2 games we shouldn't early in the year with Parson as QB, than have 0% chance to win against Bama.

I believe we all will be able to tell if our offense has enough to challenge anyone by the end of week 2. If the offense stumbles for 1.5 quarters each game, like it did with Leach's offense, then we know we are going to get smoked by every and all SEC teams with a pulse. Just like last year, and the year before, and the year before that.

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
Sure, over the top for 25-30 yards, but not truly downfield throws like Costello could throw. Will is pretty limited throwing or running. I’m sure Barbay has watched every minute of our game film last year and knows better than anyone what Will can and can’t do.
The only problem with Costello was his eyes were evolved from the TRex. Literally couldn't see something sitting still.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Lot of arm-chair coaches in this thread claiming we need to this or that because reasons. The good news is, we now have Rogers and Wright, and Barbay claims he doesn't really have an 'offensive system', and tailors the offense around what he has available. That's a good thing for 2023.

Beyond that, we will just have to see. I like system coaches myself, for MSU. Systems allow you plug and play with average players. Of course, it doesn't play too well with the pre-Madonna's.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
The only problem with Costello was his eyes were evolved from the TRex. Literally couldn't see something sitting still.
I still say Costello was a good QB, but caught up in the COVID. We had no spring practice, fall practice was patchwork as well. Snakebit, whatever, something went wrong in there. You saw in the LSU game what the offense could do when we had serious, older D1 talent running it at QB, RB and WR. We never got to see that again. Probably would have seen it in 2023 had Leach made it.

Stanford wouldn't have taken him, nor Leach, nor the NFL gave him a shot, if he was as bad as our fans say. He was definitely bad against Kentucky and Arkansas though, don't get me wrong. I don't know if he was cocky, pushing too hard, etc.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
I don't know if I ever complained about it, but 5 yards is 5 yards. And I don't want a TE in an offense for catching hitches. I want one to create an extra gap for defenses to open up the passing game. I want one so a qb can go under center and there can be a surge at the los on the goal line. I want it for the run game. Great teams run the damn football.
I'm not opposed to tight ends at all, just explaining the genesis of my comment.

I was here after all...

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
After watching about 45 seconds of Wright playing QB, I can safely state with absolute certainty that he will beat out Will, a 3-year starter who threw 35 TD's this past 9-win season, and be our starter by game 2. If there is a betting market on this, I'm emptying my bank account so I can cash in on this sure thing.*

Ozarkdawg

Apr 1, 2017
Because tight ends are a necessity. They create another gap for defenses. Plus, you don’t have to get in the shotgun on the 1 and throw it.
Speaking of tight ends, CJ Sirmones out of eligibility?
Seems like he may have had legal issues to tough, oh well.

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
“Will is pretty limited throwing.” 71 touchdown passes the past two seasons.

• Haha
Reactions: Rupert Jenkins

QuadrupleOption

Aug 21, 2012
Every QB in the room has been competing for the starting job for the past two and half seasons, yet none of them could beat Will out.

I doubt a true freshman and a transfer from Vandy with severe limitations is going to do it either. Wright at this point is a warm body. If he's the starter next Fall then Will's either injured or dead.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login