Mississippi State Officially Parts Ways With Coach Ben Howland

HD6

Apr 8, 2003
It had been trending this way for weeks, but on Thursday, Mississippi State made it official, announcing the dismissal of Ben Howland as head coach for men’s basketball and the start of a national search for a replacement. Mississippi State announces change in leadership of its men’s basketball programhttps://t.co/CiNZ2i8goQ —...
The post Mississippi State Officially Parts Ways With Coach Ben Howland appeared first on SuperTalk Mississippi.

More...

kired

Aug 22, 2008
Mississippi State athletic director John Cohen released the following statement “Throughout Mississippi State’s men’s basketball history, we have shown that we can compete for championships at the highest level.

lol, what? Is he counting those SEC West championships Stans used to compete for?

I'm not sure John's experienced the same history I have. I'd be ecstatic if we had a MBB team make it into the sweet 16 for the first time since I enrolled over 20 years ago.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Stans won an SEC overall title and 2 SEC tournament titles.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
At some point during the last week or two when everyone was speculating about the Sims injury, I went over to Elitedawgs to see if they had any kinda update. No more than 2 or 3 threads down, I kid you not that there was a multi-pager started by none other than C34, talking all about how Stans and his WKU team were about to miss the NCAA tourney for the Xth straight year

I’ve held some grudges that I’m not proud of over the years, but the C34/Stans thing is just not normal. At all

kired

Aug 22, 2008
I thoroughly enjoyed those years. I was a student in 02 and 04, and went to the SEC tournament in Tampa in 09. I wore my 02 tournament champs shirt as good luck to the final in 09.

But I interpret "shown that we can compete for championships at the highest level" to mean NCAA. And we haven't made a serious tournament run in 25 years. Every SEC team has made at least one sweet 16 appearance since 96 except for us & I think Georgia.

We've shown we can compete in baseball by consistently making it to Omaha. We've obviously shown we can compete in women's BB by actually getting to the finals, and a handful of other good runs. But men's BB?

patdog

May 28, 2007
Damn. Accidental downvote. Saw the part about the thread on the other site and downvoted it. You're right. Let it the 17 go dude. Stans was the best coach we've had since McCarthy. Even today, the last 5 Stans years look a heck of a lot better now than they felt back then.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
At some point during the last week or two when everyone was speculating about the Sims injury, I went over to Elitedawgs to see if they had any kinda update. No more than 2 or 3 threads down, I kid you not that there was a multi-pager started by none other than C34, talking all about how Stans and his WKU team were about to miss the NCAA tourney for the Xth straight year

I’ve held some grudges that I’m not proud of over the years, but the C34/Stans thing is just not normal. At all
Fact of the matter is, none of the C34/fan bitching about Stans would have mattered had he not went and got Sidney. I think that mistake is what got him more than anything else.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Mississippi State athletic director John Cohen released the following statement “Throughout Mississippi State’s men’s basketball history, we have shown that we can compete for championships at the highest level.

lol, what? Is he counting those SEC West championships Stans used to compete for?

I'm not sure John's experienced the same history I have. I'd be ecstatic if we had a MBB team make it into the sweet 16 for the first time since I enrolled over 20 years ago.

FFS, what is he supposed to say?

“We’re a traditionally middle of the pack program that has tasted brief moments of success”?

You know his job is to partially sunshine pump the reputation of the program, right?

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012

The irony of Coach 34 and his hatred of Stans is that because he used Stansbury as his avatar here, I always read his posts in Stansbury’s voice and always envisioned him as Stans making his posts. He wrapped his identity so much in the thing he hated that it came to define him here.

Aug 28, 2018
Technically he's not wrong. We do compete for championships at the highest level. We just haven't been very successful in our competition.

He never said we compete IN championships.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
The irony of Coach 34 and his hatred of Stans is that because he used Stansbury as his avatar here, I always read his posts in Stansbury’s voice and always envisioned him as Stans making his posts. He wrapped his identity so much in the thing he hated that it came to define him here.

Pardon my ignorance, but who is and what is the relevance of Coach34?

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007

Stans stole 34's coffee money and his girlfriend with the gigantic bean.

AFDawg

Apr 28, 2010
Pardon my ignorance, but who is and what is the relevance of Coach34?

He's an off-again-on-again coach, condom salesman, general gadfly, and not the guy you want keeping up with your keys. AKA Peaches.

PirateDawg

Jan 9, 2020
When Richard Williams was our coach there was a poster on Gene's page that said if RW crossed the road in front of him he would run over him. His hatred was scary. I can't believe some people are so deranged.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login