Montez Sweat SNF intro School: "The Pirate"

bolddogge

Aug 23, 2012
Those intros are done pretty quick, but I'm pretty sure thats what he said. Can anyone confirm? He didn't play for Leach, but he probably met with him when he was on campus the past few years.

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008
I've quit worrying about it. Hardly any of our guys will actually say Mississippi State. Apparently they don't want to be associated with us.

Reactions: peewee.sixpack

HomeBoyDawg

Oct 22, 2013
Two kind of State fans in this issue of our NFL players saying a school other than State--those frustrated by it and those that pretend they aren't frustrated by it.

Reactions: Cantdoitsal

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
Two kind of State fans in this issue of our NFL players saying a school other than State--those frustrated by it and those that pretend they aren't frustrated by it.
I guess I’m a third kind of fan, the one who doesn’t give a schitt. Half the players don’t say their college. They say their high school or juco, or elementary school, or hometown or something else. One guy tonight said “the trenches.” It’s really not a big deal.

Reactions: Motodawg

OopsICroomedmypants

Sep 29, 2022
I guess they have so much money we probably can’t understand how they think. It irritates me sometimes because it helps with our name brand recognition when they say MSU. I have bigger things to worry about but I’ll be damned if I was in their shoes you can bet your *** I’d say I was from The University of Mississippi State every time ****

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
It's no big deal until you realize that every single one of our NFL players do not mention Mississippi State, and we are the only school that all former players do this.

It's no big deal it's just a thing unique to us. Other players from other schools do it but not across the board like ours do

Last edited:

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I guess I’m a third kind of fan, the one who doesn’t give a schitt. Half the players don’t say their college. They say they’re high school or juco, or elementary school, or hometown or something else. One guy tonight said “the trenches.” It’s really not a big deal.
The 4th kind (me) don’t give a ****, but still wonder sometimes why such a large percentage of our guys don’t say State. And I also wonder if it’s related to the large number of ex players who won’t donate back to the school, instead thinking that are owed something BY the school.

These are interesting questions.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
I think that is just something you tell yourself to rationalize why it upsets you so bad. It truly does not bother most. A lot of guys say something other than their college now. I think it’s pretty cool he gave co-Lin a shoutout. I have some friends that went there.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
It’s a shame since the school sure does take pride in them.
It's no big deal until you realize that every single one of our NFL players do not mention Mississippi State, and we are the only school that all former players do this.

It's no big deal it's just a thing unique to us. Other players from other schools do it but not across the board like ours do
People can take pride in something else and not just Mississippi State. Good grief.

That’s not correct because some do say MSU. Either way it doesn’t matter.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

I'm not one that cares, but do they really never mention Mississippi State? Or do they just also like to recognize other places they were before Mississippi state? I'd be kind of surprised if the guy with an MSU tattoo never gave MSU any credit or acknowledgement.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
I'm not one that cares, but do they really never mention Mississippi State? Or do they just also like to recognize other places they were before Mississippi state? I'd be kind of surprised if the guy with an MSU tattoo never gave MSU any credit or acknowledgement.
No because a couple of weeks ago when the Titans and Chiefs played Simmons, Jones, and Autry all said Mississippi State.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Ok you limp dick nerds. Never question Tez's allegiance and love for State. This badass mutha17er has THE Walking Bully tattooed on his arm.

Washington defensive end Montez Sweat (90) runs during an NFL football game against the New Orleans Saints, Sunday, Oct. 10, 2021 in Landover, Md. The Washington Commanders have picked up edge rusher Montez Sweat's fifth-year option as expected.  (AP Photo/Daniel Kucin Jr., File) **FILE**

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
the last time a player said "Mississippi State" on SNF or MNF was 2008

dog12

Sep 15, 2016
Certainly, Mississippi State's overall image would improve if our former football players would expressly state "Mississippi State University" during these introductions. (Nobody will argue against that, right?)

If I were AD, then I would be sure to talk individually with each of our players to determine why they don't specify "MSU."

Last edited:

Baddog11

Aug 28, 2013
Tons of pro bowlers from Miss state that people never heard of while they were in Starkville because they were not all Americans or were not even placed on the all-sec team. According to the league , these pro bowlers didn’t get really good until they left for the NFL. Some of our defensive lineman pro bowlers had more penalties in 1 game against bama than they’ve had their entire nfl career. Total bias and Complete lack of recognition for them in college.

even this year with Miss state finishing 9-4 and finishing as the 5th ranked team out of 14 sec teams, NOT one single game on CBS. They didn’t want to cover a State game all year. I think the people of the future will look back and want to see a game from Leach’s final year and cbs doesn’t have the video and will never have the video. Shameful

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
I have impeccable memory of the Croom years
We didn’t even have any players starting in the NFL during the Croom years. Hell, we barely had any players in the league at all. We went three consecutive years without any State players being drafted at all.

Reactions: drumrcraig

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
Certainly, Mississippi State's overall image would improve if our former football players would expressly state "Mississippi State University" during these introductions. (Nobody will argue against that right?)

If I were AD, then I would be sure to talk individually with each of our players to determine why they don't specify "MSU."
Omg, maybe they want to shout out their high school, or their hometown or their JUCO. It’s cool that Sweat is proud of the JUCO that gave him his first chance to play college ball and he wants to shout them out on SNF. Let’s be Big Brother and try to dictate that all our former players say MSU. Good Lord, some of y’all need to get a life.

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008
Y’all let this bother you too much.
Whatever, as I said, I'm responding to the post but I HAVE quit letting it bother me. It was just a thing about Cox originally but now none of our guys ever say Mississippi State while I hear a long line of guys before and after them all saying their actual university name. Who it REALLY should bother is the MSU athletic and marketing departments. Huge missed advertising opportunities with these guys all doing this and someone there should seek to find out why this is so systemic with all our players. Ole Miss doesn't seem to have this issue and if there is any university a black player should be ashamed of being connected with its Ole Miss.

Reactions: dog12
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login