Moorhead on the State job...

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
All I know is that you can’t tell your customer base ( in this case fans ) to pound sand and kick rocks and expect to keep your job.

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

shep9332

Jun 5, 2014
2018 @kentucky followed by hosting Florida were 2 of the most disappointing games that I can remember in the fact that we had the talent to win going away, but the coaching was just awful.

I had to drive around the neighborhood for a while after that Kentucky game.
This is where he lost me. He looked like a turd on the sidelines. No fire at all.
Shouldn't this 17tard be a little more focused on the absolute backside mauling his team is about to receive on Saturday rather than pulling a Stuart Smalley on a podcast with some spare?
A good coach would be. That's why he'll be **** canned at Akron after this season. 17 him

Reactions: dawgman42

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
The legend of how good Moorehead's first team should have been.....it never stops. That team would have won one more game had Mullen stayed, Florida.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Who put us in position to allow a single play to decide the game against opponents we should have been able to beat fairly handily? The Kentucky game was enough for most. Then he seemed to "figure it out" when he finally played to our strengths on offense to beat Auburn like a drum. But, no, he ignored that and went back to his "offense". He was more worried about proving points than being a good coach. So now he's at Akron. He was gifted a HC job in the freaking SEC, and he turned it into a job at Akron. Hey, Joe - that says exactly what the entire industry thinks about your coaching abilities.
That's why I don't ever care to hear about offensive savants or masterminds. It's usually BS or they are arrogant. One thing I like about Mullen although he was arrogant was that he molded his offense based on the personnel most times. Outside of when he tried to start seniors over better younger player usually always at running back

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
When I have my glasses off and I’m reading the thread titles on my iPhone, I’m seeing Motörhead instead of Moorhead and can’t help but wonder what would have Lemmy thought about State…

Reactions: 85Bears

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
The legend of how good Moorehead's first team should have been.....it never stops. That team would have won one more game had Mullen stayed, Florida.
This, except we don't know who Florida would have hired so maybe Mullen loses that one, too. I do believe Mullen would have been just as unprepared for UK as Moorhead was.

Lack of discipline is what did in Moorhead, because that attitude spread onto the field. The pre snap penalties, wasted timeouts, unnecessary post play nonsense resulting in penalties. That was a disaster.

And his unwillingness, or inability, to adapt to his players' strength. His offense needed the threat of a downfield pass, and we didn't have that. Find a way to use what you have.

The 2018 Auburn game was the anomaly. I don't why that little motion play enabled State to run for 350 yards, but it was beautiful to watch. Moorhead said he finally took his coaching pills....but for some reason he never took them again.

The amazing stat of that game was Auburn went over an hour of real time without taking an offensive snap. Due to a fumbled punt return in the second quarter, State held the ball for the last 8 minutes of the first half, then for the first 8 minutes of the second half. Throw in the halftime, and Auburn's offense was getting rusty. We only scored 10 points in that time, but it was more than enough.

Reactions: patdog

Barkman Turner Overdrive

May 28, 2006
I am certainly not a Dopey Dan apologist, but even I think he would have won at least 10 games in 2018. He would not have gone Air Coryelle in the rain at Lexington, Ky with a back field consisting of Fitz, Williams, and Hill. Considering UF has made some suboptimal hires for much of the last 23 years (Urban being the exception), the Dopester beats Florida with their new head coach. He typically did well against Eddie O, so we would have had a chance with the LSU game.

Choctaw Dawg

May 21, 2017

In case anyone needed a reminder of how big a **** show 2019 was with Moorhead.

Reactions: MSUDOG24

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
I'm not sure who the bigger dumbass is, Moorhead or some of the posters in this thread. That 18 team easily wins a couple more games with Mullen. We dominated that bowl game and lost. Mullen wasn't losing to that KY team and FL either.
It doesn't make sense to argue about hypotheticals, but I just don't believe those wins were a given if Mullen stayed. It's fun to think we could have had 10 wins handed to us, but it also isn't very realistic for an MSU fan to cling to that fantasy.

The 2018 Kentucky team was sneaky good, and Mullen lost to them in the Swamp. I'm not willing to assume Mullen at MSU would easily win any SEC road game.

HumpDawgy

Apr 6, 2010
JoMo seems mad. Bob from Bogue Chitto must be skeered.

Sexy Mtv GIF by GooWoo Media

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
He would have beaten Kentucky. Even with Moorhead, we marched right down the field on the ground. They could not stop our run game, but we decided to throw it 45 times in the rain.

We would have put up a much more valiant effort against LSU and Alabama.

You don't get 10-2 seasons at MSU very often.

ChinaDogSunflower

Aug 26, 2012
Only thing I liked is him saying lateral job.

What happened to "2 thumbs pointing back at me" mentality and taking accountability for being a **** coach??? No mention of losing control of the team. Having your starting lb break the orbital socket of your starting qb in bowl practice. Cheater-gate. I know he's very highly regarded in the coaching world but his record speaks for itself at Akron (back to back 2-10 records). Maybe he needs to stick to his self-proclaimed hobby of being a couch potato instead of revising his ****** history as a HC (anywhere) on podcasts.

His story speaks for itself. Don't ask him. Just see for yourself

Mjoelner

Sep 2, 2006

The 2019 game against Auburn was one of the least ready to play teams you will ever see. We got delay of game on the very first play of the game. Typically the coaches script the entire first drive. Our team most likely knew the first play they were going to run before they even came out of the locker room and we still couldn't get the ball snapped. Then on 4th and 24 from our own 11, when the only call needed is "PUNT", we took another delay of game.

We were down 21-0 with 9 minutes left in the first quarter.
Without going back to look it up, I'm 99% sure the same thing happened in the ULL game too.

Mjoelner

Sep 2, 2006
Some of y'all may be old enough to remember Watson Brown - he was a former Vandy HC, then was OC at State for a while working for Coach Sherrill in the Sleepy Robinson era. I always thought he was a brilliant strategist who could tinker-toy-build the best possible offense out of the parts and pieces on hand. If he could have stayed in his lane and then had a great recruiter go round him up players, there's no telling how far we could have gone.

Most coaches come in with one offense they want to run, then run it whether they have the players to do it or not. Watson Brown could take yours and beat his, or take his and beat yours. But he had to be a HC so most of y'all without gray hairs have never heard of him.
I don't remember the specific game but one home game something happened and Watson was loosing his **** on a ref. He was almost to the numbers on the field and still going when Jackie went out, bear-hugged him from behind, picked him up and carried him back to the sideline with Watson still giving them an ear full all the way back to the sideline.

PBDog

Oct 1, 2021
You really can't be serious. The trend was straight down. It was absolutely about wins and losses.

Cohen would have fired him after the Egg Bowl had nimrod not pulled his endzone stunt, and our leadership gotten emotional about it.

The fight gave us the ammunition to override the leadership. Moorhead would have gone 0-10 in 2020. If it had been a normal year, probably around 2-10 or 3-9.
it’s always about W/Ls regardless of what they say

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
Who put us in position to allow a single play to decide the game against opponents we should have been able to beat fairly handily?
Joe Moorhead. The players make 2-3 plays each game. State wins 2 more that year.

Kentucky went 10-3 and beat Mullen in the swamp. Florida went 10-3 that year. Those weren't easy games.

Deep thoughts by Farmer Fran.

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
He would have beaten Kentucky. Even with Moorhead, we marched right down the field on the ground. They could not stop our run game, but we decided to throw it 45 times in the rain.

We ran the ball 28 times for 56 yards. Granted, 3 or 4 of those "runs" were sacks, but Hill and Williams combined for a whopping 36 rushing yards on just 12 carries.

Our one TD drive was a good mix of run and pass, with most of the yardage coming through the air.

We didn't "march right down the field on the ground" at any point in the game. With Fitz only completing 50% of his passes, sticking with a run/pass mix probably was not the best strategy, but there is no evidence that going run heavy would have won the game.

A Mullen-coached MSU squad would have run the ball better and more often. There is no way to know if that would have changed the outcome, and there is no sense insisting would have.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Btw, Moorhead is 4-20 in his two seasons at Akron. Only 2 of those wins are FBS.

They have without question been among the 3 or 4 worst FBS teams in the country his entire tenure.

He is a 7 TD underdog to OSU.

I'm sure of 3 things...

- He is a horrible HC at the FBS level.

- For this reason, I could not care any less about his opinion on anything he thinks he "accomplished" at MSU.

- Akron gives zero 17's about their football program.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
I always liked Joe as a person, but the fact that he took the ‘18 team to its absolute floor level of expectations wasn’t even the worst part.

He followed that up with a completely dysfunctional team that was staring 5-7 in the face until OM literally gave that game away with the infamous piss and miss. All this while his QB was playing with a black eye that his teammate gave him, and then JoMo had the 17n audacity to go on a post game tirade against the fanbase as if it was his brilliant coaching that had won the game

If there’s anyone revising history, it’s him and him alone

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
It’s all good. Just more evidence that I knew he wasn’t gonna work out at MSU as soon as he took the podium the first time in his introductory presser.

AT4 Dawg

Sep 18, 2012
This, except we don't know who Florida would have hired so maybe Mullen loses that one, too. I do believe Mullen would have been just as unprepared for UK as Moorhead.
Mullen OWNED UK. He wouldn’t have had Nick Fitzgerald throwing the ball 30+ times against them. He would have rammed it down their throats. He also wouldn’t have left their DE, Allen, to feast on our LT by himself.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
What in the first presser made you think that?
The total package was underwhelming. It wasn’t one specific thing — could tell the words in his “script” didn’t match what MSU needed at the time.

My recollection of his hire was that MSU was a victims of poor timing when looking for a coach.

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
Mullen OWNED UK. He wouldn’t have had Nick Fitzgerald throwing the ball 30+ times against them. He would have rammed it down their throats. He also wouldn’t have left their DE, Allen, to feast on our LT by himself.

That doesn't mean State wins the game, though. I mean, maybe, but we'll never know. Mullen lost at UK in 2016, and he lost to UK in The Swamp in 2018. Who knows what happens in the fantasy land of Mullen staying for the 2018 season?

I know we are all spoiled as State fans, but SOMETIMES, a State athletic team will fail to live up to your lofty expectations. When that happens, you can certainly blame the head coach, since he is responsible for everything that happens on the team.

But you should also question whether your expectations were realistic to begin with.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login