More Starkville Biz News

ArcherSPS

Aug 22, 2012
The Northstar Industrial park is getting a big time tenant expect the news to break very soon. Joe Max and Co. did some damn work to bring them down. Also the new Walkon’s will open the first of next month. Expect another new restaurant to be named at the Triangle Crossing shopping center (Aldi, Marshalls, Petsmart) any day now.

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008
What no Target?

Starkville couldn't even get the Cracker Barrel over Columbus and you are talking Target? But in all Seriousness, there are only 3 Targets in the entire State of Mississippi. Target doesn't have a whole lot of love for locating in MS much of anywhere.

hatfieldms

Feb 20, 2008
There are only three targets in the whole state? That is nuts. I figured they were everywhere. Hell I think we have 4-5 in Memphis alone

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008
Horn Lake
Olive Branch
Jackson
Flowood
D'Iberville
Hattiesburg

Yea, a few more than it looked like when I first googled and it only showed A, B and C locations. But essentially if you aren't a Memphis suburb then Target is only in Jackson, Hattiesburg and now they've put one on the coast. Still have places like Meridian, Tupelo, Vicksburg, Natchez, Corinth, etc that don't have one so not surprising the Golden Triangle wouldnt have one.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Tupelo would be a good candidate for one. Target tends to stick with metro areas and large cities.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
You mean you don't like looking for merchandise hidden behind carts full of other merchandise waiting be put away by 1 of only 2 employees working (1 of those 2 always on the register) No storage space in back, it's just a terrible setup. I liked them at one time but they've gotten ridunkulous.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
We make up for it with 879,425 Dollar Generals.

I went for a run last weekend, in a direction I haven’t been in a while. I come up on a 17n Dollar General less than 2 miles from my house that I didn’t know existed. They just pop up out of nowhere

cowbell88

Jan 11, 2009
You mean you don't like looking for merchandise hidden behind carts full of other merchandise waiting be put away by 1 of only 2 employees working (1 of those 2 always on the register) No storage space in back, it's just a terrible setup. I liked them at one time but they've gotten ridunkulous.

I have often unstacked several bags of dog/cat food to get to one wanted. Employee once told me to put bags back on cart when I got the one I wanted. I laughed and said yea ok!

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Live for 30 years 15 miles from a grocery store or a Walmart and have a DG pop up two miles from your house. It’s like wandering in the desert for thirty years and finally finding an oasis. It’s all about perspective. I’ll walk around the full carts.

PirateDawg

Jan 9, 2020
Starkville should try to get a Publix grocery store. Publix is now all over Alabama after buying out Bruno's (I think that was the name). I think the only thing stopping them from coming to MS is the fact they sell wine too.

grinningmule

Jul 15, 2021
Live for 30 years 15 miles from a grocery store or a Walmart and have a DG pop up two miles from your house. It’s like wandering in the desert for thirty years and finally finding an oasis. It’s all about perspective. I’ll walk around the full carts.

Exactly. I grew up 12 miles from nearest grocery store or WalMart. My mom of course still lives in the same house and now has a DG 1.5 miles from home. It is a convenience factor if you just need a few necessities versus driving 25 miles round trip.

archdog

Aug 22, 2012
Starkville couldn't even get the Cracker Barrel over Columbus and you are talking Target? But in all Seriousness, there are only 3 Targets in the entire State of Mississippi. Target doesn't have a whole lot of love for locating in MS much of anywhere.

There are more than Three Targets in the entire State of Mississippi.
Just off the top of my head, Southaven, Olive Branch, and D Iberville, Horn Lake, and two in Jackson.
there should be one in the golden Triangle and that one should probably be in Tupelo.

archdog

Aug 22, 2012
DG relies on shrinkflation items. If you need one thing, they are great. If you are buying for the week, they rip you off.

Palos verdes

Aug 22, 2012
Buc-ee's, Top Golf or Cheesecake Factory?

Buc-ee's is building a store somewhere between Gulfport and Pass Christian off I-10. It will be the largest or second largest Buc-ees when it opens. MS is the only southern state that doesn't have a Top Golf, go figure.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Buc-ee's is building a store somewhere between Gulfport and Pass Christian off I-10. It will be the largest or second largest Buc-ees when it opens. MS is the only southern state that doesn't have a Top Golf, go figure.

I think a Buc-ee's would fit nicely near the intersection of I20 and I55.

Bill Shankly

Nov 27, 2020
Good for Starkville. Missing out on a Cracker Barrel is a good thing.

BulldogBillyCrash

Oct 31, 2019
Starkville should try to get a Publix grocery store. Publix is now all over Alabama after buying out Bruno's (I think that was the name). I think the only thing stopping them from coming to MS is the fact they sell wine too.

We are getting a corner marker where the vowels use to be…close enough

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
and Aldi supposed to open in the Fall in the new strip mall center although I've heard mixed reviews on Aldi

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
For Strakville, this is an upgrade...BUT...don't get too hopeful for Target, Publix, Trader Joe's, or other retail / grocery recruits.

The big problem for Starkville and the Golden Triangle is infrastructure and distribution. The roads to get to Starkville aren't the best, and Starkville continues to be in the middle of nowhere.

Hopefully, in 20+ years, the GT will be closer to becoming more of a "destiniation" (for lack of a better word). Of course, the State of Mississippi will need to help this along with better policies and programs aimed at recruiting -- and retaining -- commerce and industry to the state as a whole.

curseddawgs

Jun 16, 2021
How does a thread about Starkville business get hijacked into a thread about Target?

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
For Strakville, this is an upgrade...BUT...don't get too hopeful for Target, Publix, Trader Joe's, or other retail / grocery recruits.

The big problem for Starkville and the Golden Triangle is infrastructure and distribution. The roads to get to Starkville aren't the best, and Starkville continues to be in the middle of nowhere.

Hopefully, in 20+ years, the GT will be closer to becoming more of a "destiniation" (for lack of a better word). Of course, the State of Mississippi will need to help this along with better policies and programs aimed at recruiting -- and retaining -- commerce and industry to the state as a whole.
These things are no longer problems……the real problem is that they weren’t done 20 years ago. I think you agree with that based on your last paragraph, but there are 4 lane roads coming into the GTR from all directions. 82 in Alabama will also be completed soon. It’s MUCH easier to get to Huntsville than it used to be 20 years ago too.

The state has never been more business friendly than it is right now, so there’s not much more we can really do. Its now a matter of winning projects and getting/keeping people here.

Most people won’t admit this, but having a viable Jackson (metro) is another big key to these things. This ‘capitol district’ is something else that needed to be done in 2002 rather than 2022.

Junction John

Oct 22, 2014
People. The roads and distribution are mostly fine. Publix just added a DC in Alabama, so that's not the excuse. It's people. We need more people to (1) move here; and (2) stay here. That would cure it. But it's a painfully slow process obviously.

Bdog9090

Aug 11, 2008
What no Target?**

I had a marketing professor tell me once (this was like 18 years ago) that the reason there is no Target in Starkville is because of Walmart. Apparently they lobby the Board pretty hard to keep Target out. He said Starkville’s Walmart is one of the more profitable locations in the US.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login