MSU/Arizona the chepeast ticket in SEC this weekend on StubHub

BoDawg.sixpack

Feb 5, 2010
I think it's incredible that the entry price of watching Nick Saban continue to ruin college football is $148 per.

BingleCocktail

May 25, 2014
Depressing thread.
Brandon Scott Jones Comedy GIF by CBS

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
Back in the day you either went to the game or listened to Mr. Jack on the radio. We were rarely on TV. I grew up going to as many games as possible so it’s just in my blood I guess. I do miss Jack though. He was like a hero to me.

Anon1669338224

Nov 24, 2022
I know it's not SEC, but Miami is offering a BOGO on certain tickets to try to get people in the seats for the A&M game this weekend.

The Usual Suspect

Sep 1, 2011
according to Sports Talk MS twitter. Why is this? Concessions, parking, etc are challenges that all major CFB programs have, but why are our fans not showing up? I dont say that as criticism but rather just a question..... Its as if we as a fanbase quit caring after JoeMo lost to Florida and Dan, and never have bounced back.
As someone who lives in another state, I get back to a couple of games a year. But, I have had season tickets for 30yrs. The worst thing about traveling to our games for someone like me is hotel costs. It is ridiculous and hurting our attendance.

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

Bulldog45

Oct 2, 2018
Back in the day you either went to the game or listened to Mr. Jack on the radio. We were rarely on TV. I grew up going to as many games as possible so it’s just in my blood I guess. I do miss Jack though. He was like a hero to me.
I was thinking about this in the stands Saturday. In my day the players weren’t on tv every week and that was about the only time you got to see them besides highlights from the coaches shows. It was like they were larger than life to an extent. Of course a lot of that has to do with being a kid but still a big deal

Reactions: Pilgrimdawg

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
Go look at our attendances from years and years ago, before we expanded the stadium. It sucked. The game where we beat Arkansas to basically clinch the West we only had about 32,000 people there. The only time we had consistently good crowds was when Mullen had us rolling because our fans were so thrilled to see some semblance of success after a decade of Sherrill’s final years and the Croom error. Small fanbase, rural school equals no sellouts.

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
I thought the topic was why is States tickets the cheapest? Not the actual attendance.

Because from what I can tell by the traffic on the secondary market and talking to people. We will have over 50k with Arizona bringing a few hundred. That's good attendance for MSU.

now why is the price so low? Because the 50k or so that want a ticket, have found a ticket and there aren't many more looking for tickets.
Econ 101.

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
This is part of my point in my OP. It’s as if we just lost all interest during/after 2018 season.
Our offense has been boring since Mullen left. Not saying we’ve been bad, but just bland. We need a big win and a shot in the arm offensively.

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
Go look at our attendances from years and years ago, before we expanded the stadium. It sucked. The game where we beat Arkansas to basically clinch the West we only had about 32,000 people there. The only time we had consistently good crowds was when Mullen had us rolling because our fans were so thrilled to see some semblance of success after a decade of Sherrill’s final years and the Croom error. Small fanbase, rural school equals no sellouts.

This is accurate.

I was reminiscing last weekend as I struggled to find parking with the closure of the grass lot. In the 80s, Dad would Park in the lot behind the Tin gym (lot 17 now) for free. It would be half full most games. But I can remember in 86 and maybe 88, having to park out on the intramural fields (for free) because Bama and auburn filled the place up.

Last edited:

Lucifer Morningstar

Aug 30, 2022
The worst thing about traveling to our games for someone like me is hotel costs. It is ridiculous and hurting our attendance.
^^^^^^^^ This. Me and the Devil family use to stay two nights at pretty much every home game. Now it’s 7K for 6 home games, and I can get a nice Caribbean vacation for that so it is not a hard choice.

Last edited:

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
This is part of my point in my OP. It’s as if we just lost all interest during/after 2018 season.
Squandered 2018 season. 2019 meh nobody like jomo and his brand of football. 2020 Covid and and other politics and we were not great at all that season. 21 we had a lot of come from behind efforts. Boring small ball short passes. No big run breaks very few big pass breaks. Boring. 2022 won more games but most of the games were still the games of short passes very few run. Add in costs of hotels gas inflation of groceries and then add in that every games is broadcast on tv or an app well there you are. You have to want to go see a game live in person fork out for tickets meals hotels gas. It's great for seeing family or old friends if you can all tailgate.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Something about the name Arizona reminds me of the 3 straight weeks of 100+ temps.

More folks will show up last minute realizing that the game is at 6:30pm and it's going to be a nice night and great tailgating.

Game time temp 77 degrees with a nice little breeze. Going to be a fun time.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

M R DAWGS

Apr 13, 2018
Absolutely right. We had a lot of fans that have been priced out of the market. The reseating of the Hump started some to become disenfranchised. As prices continue to go up expect smaller and smaller crowds (not just at State). I thought it was a brilliant idea to change some of the upper deck seating to premium areas. They should do more.

This ⬆️⬆️. It seems the cost of everything has doubled or tripled the last few years. People have less disposable income. Unfortunately, entertainment is one of the first expenditures to be cut. And you know, we Mississippians were already poor before 8% inflation for 2 years or so.

My excuse is that I have too many kids under 8. We will make a couple games though.

Reactions: Ranchdawg

Requiem For A Dawg

Dec 3, 2008
Herein lies the reason why the lack of hype = lack of attendance.
Nothing to do with hype for me. From the time I was at State until I turned about 30, I rarely missed a home game. In 2010, I went to every game home and away.

In the past several years, I’ve gotten married and had a child. When I was younger, I would sleep on an air mattress or recliner of a friend or relative’s condo or apt. With a wife and son, I really can’t do that anymore. I live 4 hours away and if I want to go to a game with my family, it’s going to cost me a minimum of $1,000 for the weekend.

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
Mullen effect, the dude got the fan base excited.
That’s my point. The fanbase is there to fill 60k, they just need a reason to be excited.

I guess it’s more of a fair weather fan issue.

I understand things are more expensive now, but money is more of an excuse and not a reason for not showing up. If we had an exciting, nfl caliber QB and ranked in the top 20, this weekend would be a sellout.

Reactions: M R DAWGS

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
I understand things are more expensive now, but money is more of an excuse and not a reason for not showing up. If we had an exciting, nfl caliber QB and ranked in the top 20, this weekend would be a sellout.

Based on last season, we probably should be ranked in the Top 20 and a lot of our fans know that.

And we've had one (1) NFL caliber QB in...well...since there's been an NFL.

If we have 50,000 vs a team who will bring close to zero fans, that's probably fine.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
This is accurate.

I was reminiscing last weekend as I struggled to find parking with the closure of the grass lot. In the 80s, Dad would Park in the lot behind the Tin gym (lot 17 now) for free. It would be half full most games. But I can remember in 86 and maybe 88, having to park out on the intramural fields (for free) because Bama and auburn filled the place up.
Regarding parking, has anyone tried Uber / Lyft when going from hotel to DWS or vice versa? Seems like that’s an option that would help many people avoid the parking congestion.

Yes, you’d have to walk a quarter mile or so to a pickup point in the Cotton District or something and yes it wouldn’t be an option for people with a ton of tailgating gear, but seems like something that could help.

I would think even if you had to pay $80-$100 for a ride after the game back to a hotel in Columbus / West Point / Louisville, you still might be out of pocket less than you would for a room and parking in Starkville…..not to mention it would be much safer if you’ve been drinking.

You’d also think that with the exorbitant rates that Starkville hotels would at least offer a fully staffed multi-vehicle shuttle service to get people to and from campus….but I’m pretty sure that doesn’t happen either.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2012
Because AZ is a worthless OOC opponent for us. This game means a hell of a lot more for them than us.

IMO, more people would show up for a USM game. At least that has some level of intrigue to the people who could actually attend the game.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't this game scheduled around a Byrne relationship?

Arizona is gonna give us all we want and may even win.

This game reeks of 2019 Kansas State. The fanbase was 100% sure we were going to win that one, too.

We will have a stadium of 47k and the stadium will be completely unintimidating. Home field advantage is real. I am not sure why our fanbase refuses to believe that.

Villagedawg

Nov 16, 2005
That said, we have a number of fans who live in the Starkville area, will wear maroon on Friday and talk about the game at the water cooler on Monday, but won’t come anywhere near Davis Wade this season.
Count me in this crowd. I'll tailgate a few times a year, and I may even go in the stadium if someone gives me a ticket or I get a wild idea. Sure, I'd like to see us compete with LSU and Bama, but do I care enough to actually put extra money into something like that? Not even close. There are way more important things for me.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009

This game reeks of 2019 Kansas State. The fanbase was 100% sure we were going to win that one, too.

We will have a stadium of 47k and the stadium will be completely unintimidating. Home field advantage is real. I am not sure why our fanbase refuses to believe that.
I agree. My point is AZ as an opponent doesn't resonate with the average MSU fan. I don't think they are a bad opponent in terms of quality. They are a much better team this year. But I do think they are not very marketable to a large portion of our fans.

Right now, if I said to rank the games you would want to attend...
vs. Arizona
vs. Georgia Tech
vs. West Virginia
vs. Michigan State
vs. Iowa St

I would be willing to bet, Zona would be toward the bottom of the list. They just don't create a buzz for our fans. It's not their fault.

To my point that this game means more to their fans than ours, last year, more fans attended the MSU/Zona game than the USC/Zona game.

cristilmethod

Aug 24, 2012
Haven't seen anyone mention this yet in this thread, so if you did and I missed it, I apologize, but I also wouldn't overlook the three straight games at home aspect of this. A decent amount of people came up last week, and many of those same people are already planning to be back for LSU next week. Arizona just, unfortunately, falls in the middle and is the game that's the easiest to dismiss as you have to make those kinds of choices, especially with young kids, busy Saturdays, etc.

I also think those who generally drive up and back for games chose not to this week because of the later kick. Starkville has become a difficult/expensive place to stay after games, and for many, that investment is not worth it if you can just drive the 2-3 hours back. That's easily accomplishable after an 11am kick or 2:30 kick, but harder to do when the game ends at 10.

Again, none of these are excuses for the amount of tickets available. Just theories.

bolddogge

Aug 23, 2012
^^^^^^^^ This. Me and the Devil family use to stay two nights at pretty much every home game. Now it’s 7K grand for 6 home games, and I can get a nice Caribbean vacation for that so it is not a hard choice.
It's not often I'm in agreement with the prince of darkness, but he's spot on here. That actually tilted the scale of reason for why we purchased a RV the year before my firstborn started at State. A 2 night stay arriving Friday night and leaving Sunday afternoon is just $70 (all concrete pads and full hook-ups).

Lucifer Morningstar

Aug 30, 2022
It's not often I'm in agreement with the prince of darkness, but he's spot on here. That actually tilted the scale of reason for why we purchased a RV the year before my firstborn started at State. A 2 night stay arriving Friday night and leaving Sunday afternoon is just $70 (all concrete pads and full hook-ups).
I can not speak for anyone else, nor would I want to but this is what it has been for us. I usually come to every home game regardless of the opponent, but the price of hotels has me down to 3 or so a year. We only live two hours away, so the idea of paying 1200 dollars when I could just go home is not something that I want to do anymore.

STATEgrad04

Mar 3, 2008
I'm about to say something that will likely be unpopular, but for fans that truly have to travel more than 3 hours one direction ultimately matters.

I think at least one factor into low attendance is the fact that we ultimately know we arent playing for anything of significance...I consider our fanbase as logical/realists when it comes to evaluating/analyzing what we have on the field, and when we look at the changing landscape of college football, we realistically know that we arent likely making it into the playoffs. Thus leaving us with a ho-hum attitude to the season overall. Yes, there will be better odds of it happening next year with the number increasing, but with the addition of Texas and Oklahoma, our path does not get easier. And so we are left to get ourselves excited about a mid-tier bowl that ultimately means nothing. That causes our realist fanbase to say "I will always support State in everything they do, but in order of significance, football is not topping that list".

Reactions: thatsbaseball

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008

I know quite a few of you feel this way, and I'm open to the possibility they are going to scare us or beat us.

But what are you specifically seeing in terms of last year's results and one game this year that has them in our league? The QB scares me, but I simply don't see any evidence in their recent performance that makes me think they're coming into Starkville and whipping a solid SEC team.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
It's likely a combination of a few things:
  • Predicted 95 degree temperature at gametime
  • Opponent returned ~80% allotment of tickets
  • No media hype or excitement/predicted to finish last/near last
For all we like to praise the lack of off season hype and lack of preseason ranking so we can surprise everyone and be the underdogs, the downside to this is not having a whole lot of hype to drive attendance. If you are projected to finish last and suck, why would your fans show up?

A decisive win on Saturday goes a long way to getting people back in the stands, but I recall several weekends in the Dan Mullen era where fans simply didn't show up. Most of them were out of conference games. Sure this is a P-5 opponent, but last year's game was a blowout against them.

Predicted high in Starkville Saturday is 85', not 95', and that will be at 3:00 p.m. 3 1/2 hrs before kickoff so we can't use that one......

Aug 22, 2012
I know quite a few of you feel this way, and I'm open to the possibility they are going to scare us or beat us.

But what are you specifically seeing in terms of last year's results and one game this year that has them in our league? The QB scares me, but I simply don't see any evidence in their recent performance that makes me think they're coming into Starkville and whipping a solid SEC team.
I don't think they are going to come into Starkville and blow us out by any means, but...

They are a year more experienced with a heavy transfer team from last year.

We are running a completely new offense that sputtered at times last week against a FCS opponent

Their QB was pretty shifty last year and could give us some trouble

Our fanbase unanimously thinks we are going to win this game, and home field advantage will be lacking.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
I don't think they are going to come into Starkville and blow us out by any means, but...

They are a year more experienced with a heavy transfer team from last year.

We are running a completely new offense that sputtered at times last week against a FCS opponent

Their QB was pretty shifty last year and could give us some trouble

Our fanbase unanimously thinks we are going to win this game, and home field advantage will be lacking.

I respect your opinion.

I'll simply say that ...

- We're also a year more experienced and one of the more experienced teams in D1 as far as I can tell.

- the new offense worry is completely legit. I hope it's not an issue for long.

- the QB is a concern. We need to make him make quick decisions. From what I saw, that's not his strong suit.

- I think we'll have a loud crowd and probably a better environment than many of the ones they see out West. But more than that, I think vs last year, being at home playing at a normal hour vs kicking off at 10:00 PM Mississippi time is a positive.

I get the KSU comparison, but they were a much better team than Arizona (beat Oklahoma later that year). Arizona hasn't shown me yet that they deserve that level of respect.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login