MSU-Starkville Picture Thread

Aug 29, 2009
I made the rounds today on campus to take pictures primarily of ongoing construction. There are some other miscellaneous pictures mixed in there as well. First, I'd like to start this thread off with a campus classic:

Dorman Hall

New Restaurant, The Landing, being built in the Cotton District next to Bulldog Burger

Jun 7, 2024
Do they avoid doing anything to Dorman Hall just to be funny, or is there some type of restriction on what can and cannot be done? I swear State has built buildings, torn them down, and built another building to replace it in the same time span that Dorman has not gotten so much as a power washing.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Do they avoid doing anything to Dorman Hall just to be funny, or is there some type of restriction on what can and cannot be done? I swear State has built buildings, torn them down, and built another building to replace it in the same time span that Dorman has not gotten so much as a power washing.
This has been discussed before. There evidently some very expensive lab equipment that is basically built into the structural bones of Dorman. It's hard to justify spending money for cosmetics.

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
This has been discussed before. There evidently some very expensive lab equipment that is basically built into the structural bones of Dorman. It's hard to justify spending money for cosmetics.
And it's not even the worst the building on campus. It's an Internet myth, like faculty selling tickets..... etc etc etc.

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
its not the worst building on campus, but it's location is the worst location on campus for an ugly building.
With the exception of the Barnes Noble, it is in better shape than the buildings surrounding the stadium.

But the guy said "avoiding Dorman", no they are not. There are other projects in more need or more important. For instances, it was embarrassing how bad McCarthy looked and they held classes there. Duff building will be a major improvement aesthetically and for students.

Last edited:

Duke Humphrey

Oct 3, 2013
Dorman is now vacant and about to begin a 2 phase renovation. Phase I was bid 2 weeks ago and construction should begin soon. This will entail HVAC/Mechanical aspects plus replacement of elevators. The bid was “good” which leaves more money for Phase 2, which will be bid later this year. This phase is aesthetics, and depending on how bids come in will determine what all can be done

BIGDAWG44

Aug 22, 2012
Miscellaneous pictures to wrap it up.

Paved lot plus campus entrance behind IED/Herbert building:

Eckie's Pond:

Patterson with the Steam Plant in the background:
Funny story I use to park in the small parking lot behind the steam plant and walk to the library/class. After a late night of studying I was walking back to my car and saw a bunch of cats come out of the woods and run up to me so I started petting them. Turns out it was half a dozen friendly skunks.

RenardosRightHook

Oct 2, 2023
I’d rather see more money spent on better teaching and competent advisors.
This is narrow thinking. A more visually appealing campus leads to more people wanting to attend Mississippi State, which leads to more money in State’s pocket, more money stimulating the local economy, etc. Gotta have students for the “better teaching and competent advisors” to work with

Duke Humphrey

Oct 3, 2013
I’d rather see more money spent on better teaching and competent advisors.
Money for Construction projects and money used for teaching/advising are apples and oranges. All construction projects are funded by “one time money” be it through bonds, the state’s cash reserves, private gifts, etc. cannot use that one time, non-recurring money on teaching and advising that needs money every year

but as another poster has pointed out, a nice, updated campus boosts growth which in turn provides more recurring dollars for teaching and advising

maroonfriday

Jun 4, 2020
Money for Construction projects and money used for teaching/advising are apples and oranges. All construction projects are funded by “one time money” be it through bonds, the state’s cash reserves, private gifts, etc. cannot use that one time, non-recurring money on teaching and advising that needs money every year

but as another poster has pointed out, a nice, updated campus boosts growth which in turn provides more recurring dollars for teaching and advising
I get that those moneys are different pots, but our enrollment has increased nearly every year going on 15+ years, with the best academic profile of student in the state and our faculty are still severely underpaid compared to our peers.
Getting students hasn't been the problem, but retaining and graduating them is. Better faculty would help with that, as well as increase our reputation, which would drive more out of state enrollment, which is where the money is.

MSUGUY

Oct 11, 2020
This is narrow thinking. A more visually appealing campus leads to more people wanting to attend Mississippi State, which leads to more money in State’s pocket, more money stimulating the local economy, etc. Gotta have students for the “better teaching and competent advisors” to work with
My kids just graduated. Record enrollment by the way. The school needs to focus on education, not building and enrollment of every possible student.