Mullen claims StarkVegas?

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
I took it to mean that Adidas approached him about using that term in marketing/branding and that he adopted it. I mean… I never heard a coach use it or saw any university merch with it until the 2010’s.

I didn’t take it to mean that he literally invented the term, though that’s how the interviewer asked it.

hdogg

Nov 21, 2014
I took it to mean that Adidas approached him about using that term in marketing/branding and that he adopted it. I mean… I never heard a coach use it or saw any university merch with it until the 2010’s.

I didn’t take it to mean that he literally invented the term, though that’s how the interviewer asked it.
This is the likely intent of his answer. I'd assume someone from our school mentioned it to Adidas and they ran it by the coach, maybe. But I don't think mullen gave the answer a lot of thought. No big deal.

RocketDawg

Oct 21, 2011
If memory serves, that term began as a derogatory name by OM fans trying to belittle Starkville and we just adopted it. At least that’s how I remember it. In his defense it wasn’t publicly used before Mullens tenure.
I think you're right. I've never liked the name, but it was around long before Mullen showed up.

T-TownDawgg

Nov 4, 2015
Starkvegas was in fact in use well before the 90’s. My recollection was that it was a term adopted in the 80’s by MSU faithful, who, in typical State fashion, morph a self-deprecating slur into a term of endearment amongst the long-suffering faithful of the university.

Mullen was the first coach to embrace and use the term, and was onboard with mainstreaming the term and having it painted in the end zone. Turns out, it was a very successful marketing tool that went untapped for decades.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
What did he say then tough guy? I'm on my way to South Farm, or do you prefer Sonic? ***
Lets Go GIF by The Roku Channel

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
Any dubmass who bashes Mullen should just look at the attendance today. Then look at it before Mullen. Then look at it during Mullen. If you still bash Mullen after that you’re just a dubmass.
I’m not a Mullen basher. However, to attribute attendance woes to “before Mullen” and “after Mullen” is shallow.

Itsaboutus

Dec 23, 2015

This is the correct answer IMO

Reactions: Dawgg

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
If memory serves, that term began as a derogatory name by OM fans trying to belittle Starkville and we just adopted it. At least that’s how I remember it. In his defense it wasn’t publicly used before Mullens tenure.
I think this is pretty much the truth.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login