MUW changing name to....

MagicDawg

Nov 11, 2010
"Mississippi Brightwell"
- a Damon Runyon character cut from Guys & Dolls during early out-of-town tryouts
- a seedy pool hustler from the outskirts of Yazoo City
- a professional (lady?) wrestler active in the 40s
- the man Prissy eventually married after Rhett left Scarlett
- Huckleberry Finn's long-lost cousin
More:
- A new essential oil designed by a woman from Southaven (well actually out from Horn Lake but she likes to say Southaven)
- The foundation where the Hallmark movie protagonist goes to work after she quits working for a for-profit business because, surprise, it was an "evil corporation."
- A soap opera comic strip in the "Mary Worth" oeuvre
- The 1978 Little Rock roller derby champion
- A character in "The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas"
I could go on.

Reactions: lanceharbor7

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Re: @johnson86-1 & @OG Goat Holder consolidation discussion.

Bored Bugs Bunny GIF by MOODMAN

Seriously though, you’re shuffling chairs on the Slytanic.

Even if the campuses are merged, that simply means that employees would get title changes.

Presidents would be Vice Presidents in charge of the campus and would have to have counsel — who if they’re not based in the area — would become associate counsels.

And as to a potential argument about you don’t have to have a campus vice president, the answer to that is that there’d need to be someone who people at that location could call upon because Presidents are busy and are not often available.
You'd push those employees down a level with an appropriate reduction in pay. But yes, relatively minor. To the extent there were real savings it'd be from not trying to have two full service campuses plus you'd get the ability to have better offerings for people in the Hattiesburg, Meridian, and Coast areas, particularly for those working while attending school.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
You'd push those employees down a level with an appropriate reduction in pay. But yes, relatively minor. To the extent there were real savings it'd be from not trying to have two full service campuses plus you'd get the ability to have better offerings for people in the Hattiesburg, Meridian, and Coast areas, particularly for those working while attending school.

Reduction in pay in inflationary times?

The likely result is going to be people resigning and taking other positions elsewhere.

And that also means fewer people have institutional knowledge and it’ll take more time for duties to be accomplished. Paying less can sometimes not be cost-effective.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Reduction in pay in inflationary times?

I meant the position, not necessarily those particular employees. You don't post an associate dean at the same level as a dean. Whether you handle the transition with layoffs or just wait for natural attrition without backfilling is a choice you make when you get there.

The likely result is going to be people resigning and taking other positions elsewhere.
That's fine. That happens with employers all the time. It's usually probably unhealthy if it doesn't happen, although some very few places are just that well run.

And that also means fewer people have institutional knowledge and it’ll take more time for duties to be accomplished. Paying less can sometimes not be cost-effective.
Sometimes, but I'm not worried about being able to find administrators in the current environment. Plenty of struggling colleges that you can poach from if need be.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
I meant the position, not necessarily those particular employees. You don't post an associate dean at the same level as a dean. Whether you handle the transition with layoffs or just wait for natural attrition without backfilling is a choice you make when you get there.

Gotcha. I understand you now.

That's fine. That happens with employers all the time. It's usually probably unhealthy if it doesn't happen, although some very few places are just that well run.

True. Folks want to do what they can to advance.

Sometimes, but I'm not worried about being able to find administrators in the current environment. Plenty of struggling colleges that you can poach from if need be.

You’ll find potential administrators. The thing is will enough of them be good fits?

Some questions will be: are their skills and experience transferable to the open position; do they have the ability to learn and the needed flexibility; and can they work well with the other people on staff?

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022

You said a reduction in pay. That means people will resign and go out of state.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
You said a reduction in pay. That means people will resign and go out of state.
I was thinking the same.

But he’s talking gradual as people leave and new associate positions open up and that makes sense.

One thing the colleges don’t want initially is loss of institutional knowledge so they’ll keep the salaries higher for the grandfathered employees until they leave.

QuadrupleOption

Aug 21, 2012
Mississippi Brightwell University, pending Legislative approval

"Mississippi State-Columbus" is the most obvious choice, imo
I think they missed a golden opportunity to name it the “Derek Zoolander Center For Kids Who Can’t Read Good (and want to do other stuff good, too)

Confused What Is This GIF

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
So, I see in WCBI's article the proposed name still has to be approved by the state Legislature. What are the chances the Legislature swats the name back to Columbus for reconsideration?

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
So, I see in WCBI's article the proposed name still has to be approved by the state Legislature. What are the chances the Legislature swats the name back to Columbus for reconsideration?
Pretty high but at the same time dumb university names are not uncommon.

A somewhat recent example of this was Georgia Regents University (dumb name) which merged with Augusta State to become Augusta University a few years ago.

The question would then be: Is Mississippi BrightWell U a dumber name than Mississippi Higher Learning U?

Villagedawg

Nov 16, 2005
More:
- A new essential oil designed by a woman from Southaven (well actually out from Horn Lake but she likes to say Southaven)
- The foundation where the Hallmark movie protagonist goes to work after she quits working for a for-profit business because, surprise, it was an "evil corporation."
- A soap opera comic strip in the "Mary Worth" oeuvre
- The 1978 Little Rock roller derby champion
- A character in "The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas"
I could go on.
I have a couple:
-A scholarship in the name of a late US Senator from Indiana who endowed a scholarship for white South Africans to attend Harvard
-name of a strip mall meditation and yoga center started by a millennial woman who felt trapped in her elementary teaching job after 2 long years
-a retreat for youth 11-17 who have been in trouble with the law run by an ambiguously androgenous counselor named Randi.
-a series of sci-fi/fantasy novels about strange disappearances happening at a commune in the Nevada desert.
-a series of novels about a "metrosexual" British private detective who lives alone with his cat "Nigel."

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I was thinking the same.

But he’s talking gradual as people leave and new associate positions open up and that makes sense.

One thing the colleges don’t want initially is loss of institutional knowledge so they’ll keep the salaries higher for the grandfathered employees until they leave.
Sure, if that's the plan. He was talking about layoffs and such, 'healthy reduction in force', etc. I don't buy all that. That is just people looking at the short term bottom line. The only part of this I think is truly beneficial is when he said "better offerings". That is valid and agree with that 100%. Then you have to add in the realism though, and considering MSU (or rather the governor/IHL) and the MUW couldn't agree to merge, makes me think it's impossible.

Also sounds to me like there is no respect for administrators, and I think that's another flawed line of thinking. It's hard to run stuff. Funny enough, if you put the 'athletic' in front of administrator, or director, or whatever, suddenly people think it's important.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login