My boss is in the REC and watched Alabama's last scrimmage

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
This is by far the least known star power they’ve had on offense in a while, at least going into a season. Even in years where they had McElroy or Sims or Coker at QB, they still had absolute studs at RB and/or WR.

You definitely can’t count Saban out. But he has his work cut out for him with this team way more than others he’s had recently.

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
He says the QBs do not look very good and none of their WRs can get separation. He is predicting at least 3 losses.
They also are having problems pulling NFL bound DLs like days of old under Bo Davis. There's nervousness over there.

Reactions: Motodawg

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
"You definitely can’t count Saban out. But he has his work cut out for him with this team way more than others he’s had recently."

Got me thinking. When was the last time anyone saw Saban win a game when he had to beat a team with more talent than his ?

Reactions: OopsICroomedmypants

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
"You definitely can’t count Saban out. But he has his work cut out for him with this team way more than others he’s had recently."

Got me thinking. When was the last time anyone saw Saban win a game when he had to beat a team with more talent than his ?

2008 or 2009 maybe? His first 2-3 years they arguably had less talent than Florida and LSU.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Saban is slipping. He is getting old. He is definitely at the end of his career. The only question is he smart enough to realize it and move on. I would not be surprised if he did not win another NC.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Saban is slipping. He is getting old. He is definitely at the end of his career. The only question is he smart enough to realize it and move on. I would not be surprised if he did not win another NC.
I don't know if he's slipping so much as just not adapting to the new world of NIL and free transfers. But yeah, I think it's pretty clear his best days are behind him.

Reactions: GloryDawg

NWADawg

May 4, 2016

That is a small sample size to choose from. He's had #1 or #2 class virtually every year for a while. But in those few, I would say he has a loosing record.

The NIL and how it helps other blue bloods compete/win battles for top talent will be his kryptonite. He hates it and is too proud/arrogant to accept not competing for championships. I think he gets out before his reputation gets tarnished.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
The writing is on the wall when Saban starts pumping up the value of the "Bama brand" worldwide increasing. Not national chapionships. Brand value.

That being said I expect the defense to be strong enough to beat every team on their schedule except LSU and Tenn. Texas might get them on the first game but probably not. Bama is usually more ready than the opponent in these kickoff games.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I don't know if he's slipping so much as just not adapting to the new world of NIL and free transfers. But yeah, I think it's pretty clear his best days are behind him.
That is a small sample size to choose from. He's had #1 or #2 class virtually every year for a while. But in those few, I would say he has a loosing record.

The NIL and how it helps other blue bloods compete/win battles for top talent will be his kryptonite. He hates it and is too proud/arrogant to accept not competing for championships. I think he gets out before his reputation gets tarnished.
All correct, in my opinion. Saban was the perfect coach in the previous system. And he's still a damn good coach in this system, but he won't be dominant. And unfortunately for Saban and Alabama fans, that's what they've grown accustomed to. It's hard to go backwards.

I don't hold the talent thing against him because talent is king in college. It's literally how you win. That's why Saban couldn't cut it in the NFL. More power to him, he mastered the college system.

This is also why I don't think NIL really affects State, assuming we do the minimum needed to keep our players. It's going to affect the infighting at the top, among the blue bloods, much more than us.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
He might retire this year if they lose that many but sleuth saban you never know they may still end up having several guys end up being better than we think

Reactions: onewoof

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
Being bearish on Bama is a popular pick right now. It makes me think they are about to go 12-0.

They get LSU, Texas, Tennessee, and Ole Miss at home. Texas A&M is their most difficult road game.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Being bearish on Bama is a popular pick right now. It makes me think they are about to go 12-0.

They get LSU, Texas, Tennessee, and Ole Miss at home. Texas A&M is their most difficult road game.
Yeah that’s kind of where I’m at. They lost 2 games last year by a combined 4 points and both those games are at home this year.

As far as the NIL, he’s been critical of the structure but still thinks players should be paid. Hell he bragged about on of his players NIL deal. Typical Saban double talk. It hasn’t affected his recruiting. With the transfer portal, he got one of the most sought after QBs this year who might win the starting job and his best 2nd team all sec WR is a UGA transfer.

If they take a step back this year, I think it’s because of the new coordinators, not the head coach or talent level.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
He says the QBs do not look very good and none of their WRs can get separation. He is predicting at least 3 losses.
I guess my question is, if their 4 star receivers aren’t getting separation from their 4/5 Star DBs, what is that going to look like for every other teams’ 3/4 Star receivers outside of UGA?

Reactions: jethreauxdawg

QuadrupleOption

Aug 21, 2012
Everyone was saying the same crap about Saban when he had 'lost it' during the great offensive transition in the early 2010's. He adjusted and dominated.

He hasn't lost a thing. Bama will be Bama as long as he's there, and he'll be there as long as he wants to be.

He ain't losing to Texas, LSU, or Tenn this year. Those game are circled on his calendar.

If I'm wrong, them so be it - I'll gladly eat that crow because I hate Bama. But I ain't wrong.

Reactions: jethreauxdawg

BA Dog

Nov 4, 2021
All correct, in my opinion. Saban was the perfect coach in the previous system. And he's still a damn good coach in this system, but he won't be dominant. And unfortunately for Saban and Alabama fans, that's what they've grown accustomed to. It's hard to go backwards.

I don't hold the talent thing against him because talent is king in college. It's literally how you win. That's why Saban couldn't cut it in the NFL. More power to him, he mastered the college system.

This is also why I don't think NIL really affects State, assuming we do the minimum needed to keep our players. It's going to affect the infighting at the top, among the blue bloods, much more than us.
Man I hope you are right…. Do we ever get the ocasional 5 star guy out of high school any more?

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
They should have upped Bryce Young's NIL deal and gotten him another Dr. Peoper Commercial gigity.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
Yeah that’s kind of where I’m at. They lost 2 games last year by a combined 4 points and both those games are at home this year.

They also barely escaped Texas, Ole Miss, and A&M last year.

I actually agree with you that the fact that their toughest games being at home makes it hard for me to believe they fall below 10-2. But that is 100% rooted in confidence in Saban. I have questions about the offensive production and I don’t know that Tommy Rees was a particularly strong OC hire.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Man I hope you are right…. Do we ever get the ocasional 5 star guy out of high school any more?
We’ve had 3 consensus in the last 20 years although I’d say Simmons is one as well so let’s say 4 and the last one was Cross in 2019.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
They also barely escaped Texas, Ole Miss, and A&M last year.

I actually agree with you that the fact that they’re toughest games being at home makes it hard for me to believe they fall below 10-2. But that is 100% rooted in confidence in Saban. I have questions about the offensive production and I don’t know that Tommy Rees was a particularly strong OC hire.
Yup. I mean look at the parallels between 2019-20. They lose 2 games to LSU and Auburn close in 19. They lose Tua and while Mac Jones had good stats, he wasn’t preseason SEC. Then in 2020, they dominate and Jones wins every QB award. But they didn’t have new coordinators.

BA Dog

Nov 4, 2021
We’ve had 3 consensus in the last 20 years although I’d say Simmons is one as well so let’s say 4 and the last one was Cross in 2019.
I guess I should have asked do we ever get them again, with nil in place?

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
Red Elephant Club. Very high, high rollers in Alabama football. The upper crust of Bama boosters.

Interesting. What's our upper echelon called?

ETA: I mean, of course I know what the club I'm definitely a member of is called, just wondering if any of y'all were privy to it; gauging the efficacy of our covert efforts.

• Haha
Reactions: Darryl Steight

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
Yup. I mean look at the parallels between 2019-20. They lose 2 games to LSU and Auburn close in 19. They lose Tua and while Mac Jones had good stats, he wasn’t preseason SEC. Then in 2020, they dominate and Jones wins every QB award. But they didn’t have new coordinators.

Biggest difference to me in that era is skill talent. I do not see a Devonta Smith, Jaylen Waddle, or Najee Harris on their roster this year. Not yet at least.

They didn’t have Tua in 2020 but they had a receiver that won the Heisman, another WR that was a first round pick, and maybe the best RB in college football. Heck, even Mac Jones was a first rounder. I am not sure where those kind of guys are this year.

Reactions: mcdawg22

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
They also are having problems pulling NFL bound DLs like days of old under Bo Davis. There's nervousness over there.
I think this is where NIL actually helps us some.

spreading the wealth around evens the top 10 and 15 teams in the country creates some parity.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
I guess I should have asked do we ever get them again, with nil in place?
I’d say slightly less likely from high school. But I’d say more likely with free transfers. In 2014 3 non traditional power schools landed 5 stars, in 15 4. Last year it was 4 if you include UCLA, 2024 has commits to 5 other schools.

Of course it is crazy to look at 2013 and see State and Ole Miss with the top 3.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
I think you just handed them this year’s championship

Reactions: GloryDawg

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
This is by far the least known star power they’ve had on offense in a while, at least going into a season. Even in years where they had McElroy or Sims or Coker at QB, they still had absolute studs at RB and/or WR.

You definitely can’t count Saban out. But he has his work cut out for him with this team way more than others he’s had recently.
We talked about this. He has a lifetime 25% winning percentage with equal talent. If he doesn't have the absolute best overall roster, he loses. The last time we were close to his level, 2017, we should have won and would have won if the refs didn't allow their WR to run out of bounds on 3rd and 18 and come back in to catch the ball. Even after they dropped their hat. Still let him do it.

Saban is the best overall recruiter in the history of NCAA football, no doubt. Saban has a damn good program and philosophy, which helps when you have literally the best talent in the country. But.... Saban XandO is not very good. He isn't going to out scheme you heads up. He wins with superior talent.

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
2008 or 2009 maybe? His first 2-3 years they arguably had less talent than Florida and LSU.
They had bett
He may win another one, and if he did it would be his most impressive to date. Now that LSU, aTm, and UGA are recruiting almost as well or better, he will have to outcoach them. Going to be tough.

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022

aTm and MSU you mean. Until we beat them I will always say they are going to truck us. But, I bet Barbay and CZA are not scared, which helps our entire team. We don't have "**** your shorts" Mullen here anymore.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login