My Final Attempt NOT To Sell My Itta Bena Farm Land

Anon1704414204

Jan 4, 2024
To Yankees.

Bout to sign off on $75K for 37 acres to some folks in PA. NOT in Itta Bena City Limits which is a VERY Good Thing if you know how that town operates. No windmills will be an addendum per my original thread. In The Itta Bena Hot Sun: Are you tuned in?

Last edited:

ETK99

Jul 30, 2019
Awkward Jerry Rice GIF by ABC Network

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Thanks. Not understanding why nothing betters been offered. My farmer and others in Greenwood area didn't bite on $3K. 5 separate parcels though and some separated by drainage ditches. No access to irrigation water.
Because no one has any money right now and interest rates suck. Everybody is just trying to survive at this point to next year

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
So after harvests are sold is a better time I reckon? My farmer farms much more than my 37. He usually has the soy beans harvested by late Sept. Not sure how much longer after that they get paid.
I would wait until winter at the earliest. You’ll know who has some money that might want to buy it, and hopefully by then interest rates will come down some to make it more palatable.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I've been getting $4200 Yrly which is bad ROI IMO. But I never had to invest since I inherited.
$4,200 per year if you are going to sell for $75k is 5.6% interest and you get to keep the land.

Are they paying the taxes?

If I was getting 5.6% and the tenant was reliable, I don't know if I'd be in a hurry to sell in this environment unless I just needed the cash.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Thanks. Not understanding why nothing betters been offered. My farmer and others in Greenwood area didn't bite on $3K. 5 separate parcels though and some separated by drainage ditches. No access to irrigation water.
What size is the smallest parcel? Hell, forget farming. Up in North AL, right now you got any land going for $50k/100k per acre if its even within 30 minutes of Huntsville, Decatur, Athens, or the Shoals. $2k per acre sounds like some Great Depression level shít.

Have you been approached by any builders / developers by chance?

Walkthedawg

Oct 3, 2022
You’re selling row crop land for $2k/ac??
That was my first thought. Hell… some timberland with immature pines in the middle of nowhere in rolling hills just sold here for 2k an acre.

flat crop land for 2k? And the only ones with interest in it was someone from PA? I feel there wasn’t a whole lot of advertising.

Beretta.sixpack

Oct 29, 2009
$2K for production farmland? Man, do not sell it for that.....holy cow....irrigated or not....HECK no.....the farmland that is non irrigated that borders my in laws horse farm in Kentucky is up for sale for $11K an acre......and they will get it.

Anon1704414204

Jan 4, 2024
What size is the smallest parcel? Hell, forget farming. Up in North AL, right now you got any land going for $50k/100k per acre if its even within 30 minutes of Huntsville, Decatur, Athens, or the Shoals. $2k per acre sounds like some Great Depression level shít.

North MS, Not AL. Delta.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012

This is the delta, ain't no developers. If it wasn't farm land he wouldn't get that. All kind of rural wooded land here for less than $2k/acre.

Best way to sale rural wooded land (in excess of 100 acres) is to stage some pics of big deer and turkeys and sale to a city slicker for a hunting' paradise.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
To Yankees.

Bout to sign off on $75K for 37 acres to some folks in PA. NOT in Itta Bena City Limits which is a VERY Good Thing if you know how that town operates. No windmills will be an addendum per my original thread. In The Itta Bena Hot Sun: Are you tuned in?
I think I missed the original thread… but is a windmill a big threat there?

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I think I missed the original thread… but is a windmill a big threat there?
No, but farm land is being converted to solar panel farms, it makes no sense to me.

We're still decades (centuries?) away from solar being a viable method of producing electricity on a mass scale. That land is much more productive/valuable feeding/clothing/fueling the world.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
No, but farm land is being converted to solar panel farms, it makes no sense to me.

We're still decades (centuries?) away from solar being a viable method of producing electricity on a mass scale. That land is much more productive/valuable feeding/clothing/fueling the world.
Ok. But, if on a small scale they can make a profit by putting solar panels on productive (but not that productive) farm land....why shouldn't they?

ronpolk

May 6, 2009

I agree with you on there being better land for solar farms. I don’t really care that they are being built to be a piece of the energy puzzle but seems like there is plenty of land around the country that provides less value than farm land does. My guess is farm land may be preferred because it’s already clear cut

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
There’s 40 windmills in Tunica county. Largest windmills in the world.

Windmills look ugly but at least you can still farm around it. I despise solar panels especially on productive farmland.
I knew windmills in the delta had been discussed… I didn’t realize 40 of them had been built. I have not spent a ton of time in the delta but I generally don’t think of it as a super windy place… I’m guessing there is enough wind to justify the windmill?

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login