My quick unfiltered thoughts:

OuiRPSU

Oct 6, 2021
Here’s how so:

Clemson is ranked 15 preseason. Duke is unranked.

Both teams are now 4-1. Clemson is ranked 10. Duke is unranked.

Of course you could argue that Duke lost to Georgia Tech and Clemson lost to Georgia. Even so, entering yesterday, Duke was 4-0 and unranked while Clemson was 3-1 and ranked 11.

Looking at who both teams beat does not explain such a disparity.

The only explanation is that Clemson was ranked, and is “thought” to be better (which they probably are, but still).

Reactions: Classof09

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
Regarding the rented seatbacks, what is the answer? Difficult to adjust how far to scoot back and not wiggle out of the slot.
I have no idea, but they completely take up all the leg room of the person behind you. People down the row from me had 4 or 5 people in front of them with the rented chair backs and they had to try to sit sideways because there was no physical way to sit straight on like normal. I tried to get by them to get out and it was impossible without kneeing the people in the back, which at that point, seemed appropriate.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Nitt1300

razpsu

Oct 19, 2021
That’s not fun. The seatbacks impinge so much on the legroom of the person behind them. Yesterday was the first time I looked around the stadium and thought to myself, yes, an upgrade is long overdue.
Think that is bad don’t go to Michigan it is wayyyyy tighter. That is how they fit so many by moving the seat numbers closer than ours are.

Reactions: LB99

CDLionFL

Oct 25, 2021
Here’s how so:

Of course you could argue that Duke lost to Georgia Tech and Clemson lost to Georgia. Even so, entering yesterday, Duke was 4-0 and unranked while Clemson was 3-1 and ranked 11.

The only explanation is that Clemson was ranked, and is “thought” to be better (which they probably are, but still).
OK but that's not going to mean anything when the committee meets to seed the field. It's gonna take a long time but fans and media have to get it out of their heads that rankings on September 1, October 1, November 1, December 1 mean nothing. And just because the committee puts out a ranking the Tuesday before the conference championships (which only opens them up for heavy criticism) doesn't mean they have to follow anything once those championships are played. Games get played Friday & Saturday and then they'll parse everything out on Saturday night/Sunday morning. They'll use many of the metrics that are also used when the basketball committee selects and seeds that tournament. Bottom line, it makes no matter that a bunch of writers have PSU #4 right now. There are likely metrics that the committee has which will measure a team's power rating on each week of the season.

Reactions: SleepyLion

SleepyLion

Sep 1, 2022
OK but that's not going to mean anything when the committee meets to seed the field. It's gonna take a long time but fans and media have to get it out of their heads that rankings on September 1, October 1, November 1, December 1 mean nothing. And just because the committee puts out a ranking the Tuesday before the conference championships (which only opens them up for heavy criticism) doesn't mean they have to follow anything once those championships are played. Games get played Friday & Saturday and then they'll parse everything out on Saturday night/Sunday morning. They'll use many of the metrics that are also used when the basketball committee selects and seeds that tournament. Bottom line, it makes no matter that a bunch of writers have PSU #4 right now. There are likely metrics that the committee has which will measure a team's power rating on each week of the season.
At this point in the season ranks are a marketing gimmick.

Calabrin

Oct 16, 2022
Here’s how so:

Yep. This is largely correct. Rankings are primarily based upon the vague perceptions of people that do not have a ton of evidence with which to justify their votes.

Pollsters aren’t watching every game and analyzing. They’re looking at final scores and making snap judgments. These judgments are heavily influenced by various forms of cognitive bias— a team that was ranked high early and takes a loss will be favored over an unranked team that goes on a 6-0 tear to open the season (consider that Michigan, now 4-2, is STILL ranked).

Program legacy is also a huge factor.

OuiRPSU

Oct 6, 2021
I see your point and think I probably need to understand the new playoff system a little better.

Even so, I still believe that being ranked (or ranked highly) early in the season, whether deserved or not, does provide a benefit.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
Conferences and the playoffs "fixed" this. Any team in a P4 conference and even the G5 that go undefeated will be crowned champions.

Florida State:

NoSoup4U

Oct 14, 2021
Agree, at 6'3" I hated those chair backs in front of me. I already had zero knee room.

I didn't mind the fans that had trouble finding their seats, what pissed me off was not knowing where your seats are going to be and then waiting until the start of the game to find them.:mad:
The old bring your own seatback back in the day ( ironically which was outlawed at some point 80's 90's? too much overhang see pic) had a stiff boarded back...that's the change (stiff back parallel to the back of the bench) that would need to be made to them to prevent overhang...I have the seatbacks and do my best to not lean back into them too much --the group in front of me has them and also give me no legroom-- but even if I tried to lean back to get a better posture.... I encounter knee city dammed if you dammed if you don't

sit1b.jpgsit1a.jpg

the proper (nochoice)seatback position apparently
sit1.JPGsit2.JPG

Attachments

• sit1a.jpg
    sit1a.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: bbrown

SleepyLion

Sep 1, 2022
Didn't work for FSU. last year tho.
I was referring to the current system where every P4 champ gets in... but yeah.
And FSU didn't finish undefeated either. They lost the bowl game and their undefeated season. I know opt-outs, but the game was played and the team lost.

bdgan

Oct 12, 2021
We can run the ball down USC’s throats
That would be nice but I don't think it will be quite that simple. PSU was held to 85 yds rushing by both WVa & UCLA. They did have a good rushing performance against Illinois with 239 yds. Now it looks like we're without Donkoh. I assume we have Singleton back.

Minnesota ran for 193 yds against Minnesota and USC is giving up an average of 158 yds on the ground. My guess is that PSU will run for 150 and pass for 225. Hopefully that's enough. USC passes for nearly 300 yds per game. I think the key is to win turnovers.

bdgan

Oct 12, 2021
Me too. Michigan is cooked. Their 15 minutes is up.
Michigan isn't likely to beat OSU which means a minimum of 3 losses. Even that assumes they beat Oregon, Indy, & Illinois.

I'll be rooting for Michigan to beat Oregon & OSU

• Wow
Reactions: BobPSU92

Latest posts

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login