My worry after the 1-3 start…

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
Was we didn’t have anything to sell. Defense was atrocious and offense wasn’t that much better.

We now have something to show recruits on what we are offensively. Defense is still a ?? but they have played better the past few weeks.

I think we can win 3 of the last 4 SEC games. Can. A few weeks ago - I would have said no way.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Joe Biden Shock GIF by GIPHY News

I think all the coaches are doing a good job.

AlCoDog

Feb 27, 2008
Hutzler has been bad a lot of the year, but defense has improved. And we dropped 3 of the easiest int’s you will ever see yesterday with 2 that were likely returned for 6. He had guys in the right places and they didn’t make plays. I still think he needs to be replaced, but he’s not as bad as I thought he was.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Arkansas looked lost last night.

We will have a chance against both Ark and Mizzou.

Tenn and Ole Miss aren't winnable games

Curby

Aug 23, 2012
There are some ball hawks on defense. And effort.

Still not good fundamentally, or consistent.

You watch other teams defense, how they close really quickly on the checkdown screens. They give up only 2 or 3 yards...our guys give up 6 to 8.
If I was opposing offense I would run deep routes with the WRs and let the RB wear us out underneath.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
We might be able to win a game or two down the stretch; however, I'm a little happier with the direction of our team. At least I'm happier with the offense. The only thing I'll say about the defense is that they haven't quit. We really need some linemen on both sides of the ball.
Need to sink whatever nil we do have into lineman. Need pass rushers and a tackle on offense that doesn't look out block and knows how to punch dl in the gut if they jump for a pass deflection

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Hutzler has been bad a lot of the year, but defense has improved. And we dropped 3 of the easiest int’s you will ever see yesterday with 2 that were likely returned for 6. He had guys in the right places and they didn’t make plays. I still think he needs to be replaced, but he’s not as bad as I thought he was.
His strategy is to not get burned deep because we know we lack talent. Problem is with bend don't break and keep it in front is you have to tackle well and hope they make mistakes and turn it over. We started off tackling terribly. We have improved but only some. We also missed on two turnovers yesterday but got others. Other problem is that sometimes you have to take risks to get some pressure. Can't give teams 10 yard cushions without some dawgs on the dline that can get pressure. Someone will get open even if we have 8 in coverage.

Last edited:

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
We don't need to be firing anybody. This is what a complete program rebuild looks like regardless of who is in charge. We need talent more than anything.
I think it will be okay to replace hutzler there are better coordinators out there with more experience. We DO need to recruit better there though

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Was we didn’t have anything to sell. Defense was atrocious and offense wasn’t that much better.

We now have something to show recruits on what we are offensively. Defense is still a ?? but they have played better the past few weeks.

I think we can win 3 of the last 4 SEC games. Can. A few weeks ago - I would have said no way.
I don't see where our defense is playing better. Letting the other team play pitch and catch on third and long is a big problem.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
Except on 3rd down, and it kept happening all day long

I'll give you that the our guys on defense haven't quit, and every once in awhile they make a nice play, but there are still major issues out there in every game that don't have a thing to do with the jimmy and joes. That 3rd and 23 where we just let their TE run uncovered across the field for a first down about had me ready to take Hutzler to the desert and leave him

Reactions: AlCoDog

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
I don't see where our defense is playing better. Letting the other team play pitch and catch on third and long is a big problem.
It didn't look like they were and it sure didn't feel like they were, but when it was all over they only gave up 350 something yards. We outgained them, actually. Last few games we were giving up 500+ a game.

Reactions: Pookieray

tired

Sep 16, 2013
We have some young players playing better, but our scheme is still 👎.

Those saying we don't need to fire coaches & need more talent, I say we need to fire a coach. We need talent on the coaching staff as well & Hutzler isn't it.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
It didn't look like they were and it sure didn't feel like they were, but when it was all over they only gave up 350 something yards. We outgained them, actually. Last few games we were giving up 500+ a game.
but still 34 points which is awful, especially on your own field.

I was happy to see us get a couple turnovers yesterday along with at least 2-3 near turnovers that could've changed the game, but at the end of the day, this defense is still 116th in scoring and 122nd in yards out of 133 teams. Some opposing offenses rack up yards with big plays, some play ball control, and others do both, but either way... teams are able to play however they want to play against us, and we have no chance at beating even a mediocre SEC team without a flurry of breaks going our way.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Maybe marginally better, but the bar for that is so low. Defense was still awful yesterday. Got helped out a lot by the A&M QB being so poor throwing the ball.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
The offense looks to be pretty good and we have a true freshman at QB and some lineman who would have trouble starting elsewhere in the SEC. Lebby gets 2-3 years but that might not be the case if he gives the guy with one of the worst defenses in D-1 in the nation a chance to prove himself next year. You can't afford to do that.

AlCoDog

Feb 27, 2008

I'll give you that the our guys on defense haven't quit, and every once in awhile they make a nice play, but there are still major issues out there in every game that don't have a thing to do with the jimmy and joes. That 3rd and 23 where we just let their TE run uncovered across the field for a first down about had me ready to take Hutzler to the desert and leave him
Not going to disagree with any of that. 3rd down was hard to watch all day.

Reactions: onewoof

Pookieray

Oct 14, 2012

So you think Hutzler said to leave the TE uncovered? Or, do you think, maybe it was a missed assignment? Missed assignment happens to every team every game. Happens more often to younger players, that's why you don't see a lot of freshman that have talent starting.

Pookieray

Oct 14, 2012
I think the secret is to get a good DC who also is a good recruiter. Somebody needs to recruit better!
you are not going to get recruits in on a first year HC coming in and an entirely new staff. especially the shat show that we were the prior season. you get the leftovers not the best or even the second best that are in the portal. ain't happening.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
you are not going to get recruits in on a first year HC coming in and an entirely new staff. especially the shat show that we were the prior season. you get the leftovers not the best or even the second best that are in the portal. ain't happening.
You won't get many recruiting putting up a terrible defense either. You might could sell starting time but we need to sell that and depth and a coach that can show he can scheme and get guys to the next level

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
Boot Hutzler and replace him with someone that has an actual resume, get some lineman, and retain the young guys on offense and keep building there. I'll be optimistic.
The only reason to keep Hutzler is if he brings in 3-4 4*/5* DL, and 2-3 4*/5* OL. Otherwise, fire him. I don't care if we have to let the players call the defense on the field. We are bottom 5 in D1 in all Defensive categories. Literally could not be worse.

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login