New NCAA proposal

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
First nobody will agree to this because the NCAA is asking anyone that agrees to it, to create a huge new expense, the player trust fund. However, for conversation, assuming this happened....

1. It does NOT say NIL can be paid by schools. It says the schools can now work directly with the player to procure NIL deals. This is the NCAA trying to eliminate collectives.

2. It says the school that opts in, must have a player trust fund for 50% of it's players. It says the minimum is 50% of players and $30K per player. It sets no maximum and therefore the maximum can be whatever the school can afford. This would allow the schools with the most revenue to pay more than 50% of it's players a trust and more than the minimum. Again, advantage to the blue bloods.

3. It says the schools that opt in, will work together to set limits or no limits on number of scholarships offered and coaching staff numbers. Again, advantage to the blue bloods.

Mississippi State would opt out.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Depends on if the war can actually be won, and what the consequences are for not fighting the war, and being put in the cage.

In other words, can we win championships in the cage, and will the money we get from the cage for all that is needed to win those championships. And what type of money do we get from being in the war and not winning it?
I dunno… I’d rather Mississippi State be mid to lower tier playing against the best teams in the country and making obscene money in a super league with an outside chance at an “up year” than ruling the SoCon.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
First nobody will agree to this because the NCAA is asking anyone that agrees to it, to create a huge new expense, the player trust fund.
This is simply not correct. It’s basically a license for schools that can afford it to directly pay players. The “haves” will hold their nose and pay salary for the men’s tennis team if it means making themselves more attractive to football and basketball recruits. The “sort of haves” like Mississippi State, Ole Miss, Mizzou, etc. will do it to maintain relevancy and keep up. Even some of the current “have nots” like Liberty will do it to force their way into a seat at the big boy table.

Most, if not all, of the Power 4 (and some not currently in the Power 4) will jump on this.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
Collective Bargaining is the future. If the players of sport has a representative in the negotiations of that sport, things like caps can be established.

Reactions: Dawgg
Nov 20, 2023
I wouldn’t give a sнit about a Starkville semi-pro football team if it wasn’t associated with Mississippi State University.
Damn straight!! I miss the simpler days years ago. Like for instance we had an excellent team in 2014 and good ones other years back when players had to be recruited and not openly paid, yes I’m aware of all schools paying but it was still different. Also couldn’t hop into the portal and go straight to another team however players played for their school pride and draft status. I just miss those days is all I’m saying. However this isn’t a reality as CFB is turning into the junior version of the NFL. Players used to bust their asses and play hard for their College, and team camaraderie in CFB to get payed when drafted to the NFL as a reward for all their hard work and talent. Just saying I miss those days and don’t know what to think about this newest proposal. Scratching my head…

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
1. It does NOT say NIL can be paid by schools. It says the schools can now work directly with the player to procure NIL deals. This is the NCAA trying to eliminate collectives.
Its actually not. Its only enhancing collectives. “School working directly with player” means coaching staffs can now directly engage with players and collectives to tell them their value. This already happens now everywhere…through all sorts of back channels and cloak and dagger BS to keep the coaches’ hands clean (just like it did in the old days between coaches and boosters). This just makes it no longer banned by NCAA rules..because just like everything else….its not enforced.

2. It says the school that opts in, must have a player trust fund for 50% of it's players. It says the minimum is 50% of players and $30K per player. It sets no maximum and therefore the maximum can be whatever the school can afford. This would allow the schools with the most revenue to pay more than 50% of it's players a trust and more than the minimum. Again, advantage to the blue bloods.
The “player trust fund” already exists in the form of the full cost of attendance stuff that got put in years ago. This $30k is a higher number than that (if its per year), but nothing that can’t be covered by the TV money. I’m assuming this number itself is also negotiable. Even the rich schools aren’t going to want to pay the swimming and wrestling teams that much.

3. It says the schools that opt in, will work together to set limits or no limits on number of scholarships offered and coaching staff numbers. Again, advantage to the blue bloods.

Nah, we would opt in and drop out later if it became too cost prohibitive. We aren’t going to boot ourselves out of the SEC / Power 4 willingly. But I personally think the schools are going to balk at this. The NCAA is just another entity that’s bleeding money out of collegiate athletics, while providing nothing of value. If they are just going to to whatever the big conferences and schools want anyway, its much easier for the Power 4 to just pull out entirely and form their own governing organization. Or, they could all just self govern, and set a committee and format for the postseason in all sports that mirrors the CFP committee.

Last edited:

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
First nobody will agree to this because the NCAA is asking anyone that agrees to it, to create a huge new expense, the player trust fund. However, for conversation, assuming this happened....

We would absolutely opt in. Some of yall need to stop acting like we are Millsaps. All P4 schools will opt in. Thats where the money is n

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
This is simply not correct. It’s basically a license for schools that can afford it to directly pay players. The “haves” will hold their nose and pay salary for the men’s tennis team if it means making themselves more attractive to football and basketball recruits. The “sort of haves” like Mississippi State, Ole Miss, Mizzou, etc. will do it to maintain relevancy and keep up. Even some of the current “have nots” like Liberty will do it to force their way into a seat at the big boy table.

Most, if not all, of the Power 4 (and some not currently in the Power 4) will jump on this.
I don't see why Alabama or OHSt etc etc would agree to new ncaa rules that includes a huge trust fund expense (and administrative cost to manage it) when the current system does NOT have that expense and the current system gives them an advantage already, without paying the tennis, swim, soccer, etc teams.

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
The “player trust fund” already exists in the form of the full cost of attendance stuff that got put in years ago. This $30k is a higher number than that (if its per year), but nothing that can’t be covered by the TV money. I’m assuming this number itself is also negotiable. Even the rich schools aren’t going to want to pay the swimming and wrestling teams that much.

Nah, we would opt in and drop out later if it became too cost prohibitive. We aren’t going to boot ourselves out of the SEC / Power 4 willingly.
According to the knight commission ... State has 372 athletes in 18 sports. The website says says the amount of aid awarded to State athlete's annually is $10.69M

This cost would in addition to the $10.69.

372/2= 186 X 30k = $5,580,000 additional expense. ....and that's the minimum. If you want to pay what OM and Bama will pay, double that number.

Our athletic net income was $2,000,000 in 2022.

But OM didn't earn enough net income to cover that trust fund expense either. They would have to make huge cuts somewhere in expenses or raise a lot more money. They had a $4M net loss in 2022

Bama can afford it. $20M net income in 2022.

Last edited:

DawgInThe256

Feb 18, 2011
I think this was mentioned earlier in the thread, but one of the writers that cover college football said some of this money will eventually come from reduced coaches salaries. I'm not sure I agree about the salaries going down, but I don't think they will increase like they have in the past. Prior to NIL, the only legal way to get better is to hire a better coach. That's not the case anymore.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
I don't see why Alabama or OHSt etc etc would agree to new ncaa rules that includes a huge trust fund expense (and administrative cost to manage it) when the current system does NOT have that expense and the current system gives them an advantage already, without paying the tennis, swim, soccer, etc teams.
That's kind of short sighted. Alabama and Ohio State have advantages today. If they don't get on board with the new system, they're going to lose recruits to schools like Texas or Oregon or Texas A&M or Penn State or Notre Dame or any number of other schools that have deep pockets that are/have been sitting just outside the top 10 and/or haven't taken that next step to elevate themselves into the top spot. Plus Alabama and Ohio State both have two of the most revenue rich athletic departments in the the country, so they can afford it, especially when the alternative is 10-2 or 9-3.

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
That's kind of short sighted. Alabama and Ohio State have advantages today. If they don't get on board with the new system, they're going to lose recruits to schools like Texas or Oregon or Texas A&M or Penn State or Notre Dame or any number of other schools that have deep pockets that are/have been sitting just outside the top 10 and/or haven't taken that next step to elevate themselves into the top spot. Plus Alabama and Ohio State both have two of the most revenue rich athletic departments in the the country, so they can afford it, especially when the alternative is 10-2 or 9-3.
It is a proposal by the NCAA. Texas or Oregon or aTm or PSU haven't agreed to it either.

Also I am sure each school with defer to their conference to determine if the entire conference is in favor of and or against this proposal.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
We would absolutely opt in. Some of yall need to stop acting like we are Millsaps. All P4 schools will opt in. Thats where the money is n
Right, last year, Mississippi State's athletic department was #40 in terms of budget/revenue/spending and was right in the median of the Power 5.

In 2024, there will be about 70 schools in the Power 4.
There are 133 schools in the FBS.
There are 261 schools playing Division I (FBS + FCS) football.
There are 351 schools in all of Division I.
There are 1,100 schools in all of the NCAA.

By being in the top 40 of those groups, Mississippi State is one of the 'haves' in the world of college athletics and if it wants to continue being a have, it's going to opt-in... or get ready for Conference USA, buddy.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login