Next season's lineup

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
It's a free country (some places), but there are plenty of very active threads ongoing that'll happily accept your continued constructive criticism of our baseball coaching staff. It'd be lovely if you'd turn that kind of attention to those threads.

Knowing it's mostly unknowable right now, who are some guys currently on the team that will likely be back next year and warrant playing time?

I'm assuming Pulliam is a sure thing. What's Highfill's prognosis? Is Mershon draft eligible? Pico back? Dohm?

Who are some guys that'll be back that you could see making a nice jump and helping us next year. That happens most years. Downs? Cupp? Pulliam?

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Highfill should be ready to go.
Mershon is eligible I believe
Pico should be back
Dohm is likely gone
Cupp should be back unless he's unhappy
Chance might be back
We get back our bigtime injured FR arm
Cupboard is really empty and the portal will be our team next year. Prayers for our program lol.

Reactions: Beretta.sixpack

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Did we ever get clarity on Highfills surgery? If it was TJ we definitely need a portal C.

Reactions: 17itdawg

17itdawg

Sep 30, 2022
Did we ever get clarity on Highfills surgery? If it was TJ we definitely need a portal C.
I don't think it was ever confirmed. But, I do remember him wearing a brace similar to TJ patients at one point.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Pico is draft elgible
Mershon is draft eligible
Highfill will be back
Dohm is draft eligible

Think hujsak, Larry, Stephen, Kohler, Jordan, Hines, jurrangelo, Davis can all come back but won’t

auger, Hardin, cheatham— probably have draft decisions to consider

Chance
Pulliam
Highfill
Shuekle
Cupp
Downs
Black

Is the core group for sure back. Although I expect Mershon back as well

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Probably a good idea to have a better catching plan B than we did this year

Agree, but that seems pretty hard to do these days. If you're close to an SEC caliber catcher you're probably going to go to a place where you can play a lot. 2nd stringers are typically either going to be inexperienced, but talented young players or cast offs it seems.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Agree, but that seems pretty hard to do these days. If you're close to an SEC caliber catcher you're probably going to go to a place where you can play a lot. 2nd stringers are typically either going to be inexperienced, but talented young players or cast offs it seems.
Powell was a solid back up. Just need another guy like him.

but if Highfill is going to 1st or DH then we need a real catcher

Faustdog

Jun 4, 2007
It's a free country (some places), but there are plenty of very active threads ongoing that'll happily accept your continued constructive criticism of our baseball coaching staff. It'd be lovely if you'd turn that kind of attention to those threads.

Knowing it's mostly unknowable right now, who are some guys currently on the team that will likely be back next year and warrant playing time?

I'm assuming Pulliam is a sure thing. What's Highfill's prognosis? Is Mershon draft eligible? Pico back? Dohm?

Who are some guys that'll be back that you could see making a nice jump and helping us next year. That happens most years. Downs? Cupp? Pulliam?

Need someone who can catch, and someone who can play third. Kohler was a really pleasant surprise defensively. We've been without a 3B who can field his position, and it can kill your season. Same with catcher.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021

Jimmy Fallon What GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

....is what we'll really be asking next year thanks to the portal and NIL.

NukeDogg

Mar 15, 2022
Does Nolan Stevens have a defensive position, or strictly just a pitcher who also hits?

What about the FR McKenzie, he's 1B I think.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Does Nolan Stevens have a defensive position, or strictly just a pitcher who also hits?

I'd halfway forgotten about him. He's a guy you could really get some help from if he develops over the summer and fall.

patdog

May 28, 2007

I think he's a first baseman defensively. Don't know what the deal was with him. But if I'm him, I'm probably transferring out.

Reactions: HuntDawg

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
I'd halfway forgotten about him. He's a guy you could really get some help from if he develops over the summer and fall.
He’s a guy I’d shocked to see back. No ties to the program at all and was misused IMO

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
He’s a guy I’d shocked to see back. No ties to the program at all and was misused IMO

Do you know something or is this just based on the fact he didn't get much playing time as the season progressed? It didn't seem like an unusual season for a talented freshman. Biggest jump for him is likely this off-season.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Do you know something or is this just based on the fact he didn't get much playing time as the season progressed? It didn't seem like an unusual season for a talented freshman. Biggest jump for him is likely this off-season.
He’s from cali. Lots of schools between here and there… and Im doubting he came that far to sit and have the role he had.

he fits the bill of a guy that won’t be here long… and it might not be because he’s great and wasnt playing. He may not be up to snuff.. pimental like from a few years back…. And we not want him back.

regardless I don’t see him developing this summer and hoping to earn a better role. The more likely scenario is him going someplace he knows he’s going to get the desired role… and for a guy with zero ties here.. it makes double the sense.

if he does stay looks like he’ll have to choose either pitcher or hitter…and seems we like him more as an arm.

Last edited:

kired

Aug 22, 2008
Cupboard is really empty and the portal will be our team next year. Prayers for our program lol.
But won't that become the norm for college baseball almost every year? Even moreso than other sports --- you practically never redshirt anyone, and good players are always going to be drafted after 3 (sometimes 2) years. It's going to be a lot harder to build from within when you can go grab an experienced player (and other teams are trying to steal yours)

I think going forward most teams will plan to find 3-4 position players every year using the portal, and at least a couple of pitchers.

Reactions: She Mate Me

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
But won't that become the norm for college baseball almost every year? Even moreso than other sports --- you practically never redshirt anyone, and good players are always going to be drafted after 3 (sometimes 2) years. It's going to be a lot harder to build from within when you can go grab an experienced player (and other teams are trying to steal yours)

I think going forward most teams will plan to find 3-4 position players every year using the portal, and at least a couple of pitchers.
You still have to develop a HS base. You can't be 75% portal every year because NIL isn't going to cover that. But hell, this staff has just about stopped HS recruiting anyway. We have nothing as far as position players on this roster. Pitching could be thin as well. Maybe Chance and Downs are back but that's probably about it other than getting Highfill back. Mershon could but I bet it's close. He looks like a top 10 round guy and not sure his stock goes up a lot even if back but he's got that extra year.

Reactions: patdog

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
He’s from cali. Lots of schools between here and there… and Im doubting he came that far to sit and have the role he had.

he fits the bill of a guy that won’t be here long… and it might not be because he’s great and wasnt playing. He may not be up to snuff.. pimental like from a few years back…. And we not want him back.

regardless I don’t see him developing this summer and hoping to earn a better role. The more likely scenario is him going someplace he knows he’s going to get the desired role… and for a guy with zero ties here.. it makes double the sense. But either way I wouldn’t bet he has a large role for us.

So, you are educated guessing and don't know anything concrete. Correct?

He came here knowing we had been struggling. There should be a wide open opportunity for lots of playing time on the mound, in the field and at the plate at a great program in a great conference. I hope he's up to it.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018

Thats what college basketball has turned into.

but yes I was told by a college coach that if you are a good player. Not Great, just good. Enter the portal and get your college paycheck, because someone will pay you.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
You still have to develop a HS base. You can't be 75% portal every year because NIL isn't going to cover that. But hell, this staff has just about stopped HS recruiting anyway. We have nothing as far as position players on this roster. Pitching could be thin as well.
35 man roster. 10 from the portal seems right.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
So, you are educated guessing and don't know anything concrete. Correct?

He came here knowing we had been struggling. There should be a wide open opportunity for lots of playing time on the mound, in the field and at the plate at a great program in a great conference. I hope he's up to it.
anything could happen.. but I’ll stand by I’ll be shocked if he’s back and even more shocked if he’s an impact guy for us.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008

I'm certainly not putting the effort in to research it, but I wonder how much of that Virginia 1927 Yankees lineup was portal built?

patdog

May 28, 2007

No. Thats not the norm for anyone. Portal is to fill in a few key gaps here and there. But you're bread and butter is returning players. Just looking at Virginia's roster, 6 of their starters were returning players and 1 was freshman. Looks like their main pitchers were about half & half between returning players and new players.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
We don't know what the roster is going to be with the new stuff coming. And we need more than 10 portal players.
Well doing quick math… on what we have coming back. What we have signed. And the roster limits. I’m not sure there are spots for many more

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
I'm certainly not putting the effort in to research it, but I wonder how much of that Virginia 1929 Yankees lineup was portal built?
Looks like 2 of the 9 in the lineup are portals. They got 40 homers from 2 HS guys- 1 a soph and 1 freshman.

NukeDogg

Mar 15, 2022
LF Chance
RF Downs
CF ???
3B Chester?
SS Cupp or Mershon
2B Pulliam (unless he goes OF)
1B Stevens/McKenzie?
C Highfill maybe

pitchers I have no idea...

patdog

May 28, 2007
Well doing quick math… on what we have coming back. What we have signed. And the roster limits. I’m not sure there are spots for many more
If we don't take at least 10 good portal players, it won't be because we didn't have room for them. You can always make room. I don't know if we need 10. But we do need a really good transfer class in this offseason.

Yeti

Feb 20, 2018
Who here thought Steven would be a really solid Friday night guy? Portal is a crap shoot but necessary. Heck go get me the ST John’s guy from the first game lots of kids out there

Reactions: MSUDOG24 and patdog

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Who here thought Steven would be a really solid Friday night guy? Portal is a crap shoot but necessary. Heck go get me the ST John’s guy from the first game lots of kids out there

Well, I guess Lemonis saw something in him. He was the key to us having a good season rather than a pretty meh season. In my mind the HC gets credit for a quality evaluation and get there.

Reactions: MSUDOG24 and patdog

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Wouldn’t call it a crap shoot. There are some known commodities that are in it…. There are some gambles too… we need to hit on some of those known guys this coming up season

Msuirondawgs

Mar 18, 2023
Honestly, we probably got somewhat fortunate to get Khal. Parker recruited him hard out of High School. So who knows if JP had stayed at USC, had Khal come here

bully12

Sep 2, 2012
LF Chance
RF Downs
CF ???
3B Chester?
SS Cupp or Mershon
2B Pulliam (unless he goes OF)
1B Stevens/McKenzie?
C Highfill maybe

pitchers I have no idea...
I would be willing to bet that more than half (maybe 60% - 70%) will be wearing a different uniform next year.

Beretta.sixpack

Oct 29, 2009
wish we could get the Keys kid from Southern Miss....he was originally committed to MSU, but at the time we had a stable of catchers and a few committed.....so he decomitted and his dad told this was why.....amazing how a couple of years changes things....dude is a baller from a MSU family. He committed too early....committed to MSU as a 9th grader....