NIL Allocations by sport

StateCollege

Oct 17, 2022
Let's start off by acknowledging that none of us have any idea what our annual NIL budget is. So let's talk percentages.

How would you allocate our overall NIL budget across our programs?
  • Football: 60%​
  • Men's Basketball: 25%​
  • Baseball: 10%​
  • Other: 5%*​
If it helps, just assume a $1,000,000 annual budget for a nice round number. If it's $2m, $3m etc, the percentages work the same. Not looking for guesses, but wondering how you all would allocate the total budget, regardless of what it actually is.

* This might get some people worked up. But being realistic, we are always gonna have a small portion set aside for Women's Basketball and non-revenue sports.

Reactions: patdog

MSUDAWGFAN

Apr 17, 2014
I'd go 100% for men's basketball. It's a sport that would have a payback and one player can make the difference between getting in the tournament and making a dep run. I'd divide all of my money between the top 8 players.

Our football team would be Vanderbilt 2.0 and all the rest of them would not be fun, but at least we would have a good time in March and April.

Reactions: 85Bears

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
25% for mens basketball-- only 13 players-- seems like a big portion of the NIL pie. Would assume that 25% divided by 13 players is larger than 60% divided by 85?

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Doing some quick math on say 1 million:

80% to football: is 10K a player to be spread out how they see fit... just the average
10% to basektball: 8K a player
5% to baseball: 2K per player
5% elsehwere

obviously your hoping and thinking the numbers are more than a million... and those numbers may not be right either.. trying to balance the roster numbers

Id say to sheer roster size. Football would have to be higher than 60%

Last edited:

MSUDAWGFAN

Apr 17, 2014
25% for mens basketball-- only 13 players-- seems like a big portion of the NIL pie. Would assume that 25% divided by 13 players is larger than 60% divided by 85?
First off, why would you divide it equally? Give more money to better players.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
First off, why would you divide it equally? Give more money to better players.
Noooooooo.... not saying i would do that at all.

Was just trying to say this was basically how much of the NIL we were giving on average. Basically if we are trying to divide to pie evenly. And you gave football 80%, then divided it evenly from there.. then football player is barely making more than a basketball player. If you only gave football 60% and you divided it equally like in the OP-- then basketball players will be making more than football.

Thus i think youd have to give football way more than 60% on roster size alone

MSUDAWGFAN

Apr 17, 2014
Noooooooo.... not saying i would do that at all.

Was just trying to say this was basically how much of the NIL we were giving on average. Basically if we are trying to divide to pie evenly. And you gave football 80%, then divided it evenly from there.. then football player is barely making more than a basketball player. If you only gave football 60% and you divided it equally like in the OP-- then basketball players will be making more than football.

Thus i think youd have to give football way more than 60% on roster size alone
Well that makes sense.

Personally, I don't see the bang for the buck in football. It takes too many players to make such an impact in football and we can't compete nationally like that. But in basketball, we could throw the bank at 8 guys and be one of the better teams in the nation. All in.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Well that makes sense.

Personally, I don't see the bang for the buck in football. It takes too many players to make such an impact in football and we can't compete nationally like that. But in basketball, we could throw the bank at 8 guys and be one of the better teams in the nation. All in.
Definitely an interesting theory. 1-2 players in basketball can go a long way.

Guess my question to that would be.. if we truly stink in football. Like vandy bad. Do people continue to give to an NIL fund? Think most givers to the NIL fund want to see a good or competitive football team. But just a guess..

Oct 17, 2023
Well that makes sense.

I keep seeing where we could be kicked out of the re-organization of the conference and some say we can't because we are a charter member. But if we don't at least make an effort in football, that would give more reason to be left out of the re-organized conference and no SEC money would kill us.

MSUDAWGFAN

Apr 17, 2014
I keep seeing where we could be kicked out of the re-organization of the conference and some say we can't because we are a charter member. But if we don't at least make an effort in football, that would give more reason to be left out of the re-organized conference and no SEC money would kill us.
But, the difference would be we would be very competitive in basketball. You think we would kick Kentucky out?

Oct 17, 2023
But, the difference would be we would be very competitive in basketball. You think we would kick Kentucky out?
No they wouldn't. And Kentucky is trying in football where we would be 2-10 at best with no football NIL. Plus I don't think we could ever compete year-in year-out with kentucky in basketball.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Probably more like 75% football, 15% basketball, 5% baseball, 5% other.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Depends on how much is actually needed. Fully fund basketball and baseball at the going rates. Then football gets the rest. Hard to know the percent allocation until we know those data points.

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
Well that makes sense.

BAsketball is just so much easier to turn around. 3 good players can do it.

if Jan’s adds a couple SG/wings that can really shoot, this team could be elite 8. Then you can really build on that. So it could be done in basketball fairly easily.

Puppychow

Nov 5, 2014
Wait until Title IX advocates start demanding allocations be “fair”. Am I wrong to think this could affect the future of NIL?

Called3rdstrikedawg

May 7, 2016
BAsketball is just so much easier to turn around. 3 good players can do it.

if Jan’s adds a couple SG/wings that can really shoot, this team could be elite 8. Then you can really build on that. So it could be done in basketball fairly easily.
An elite QB a couple of outstanding WR, an experienced Oline and an elite edge rusher and 2 quality LBs plus what we usually get everywhere else. That should get you 8-4 every year. 8-4 in football every year will dwarf what basketball could produce income wise.

Reactions: bulldoghair

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
An elite QB a couple of outstanding WR, an experienced Oline and an elite edge rusher and 2 quality LBs plus what we usually get everywhere else. That should get you 8-4 every year. 8-4 in football every year will dwarf what basketball could produce income wise.
Good luck

Bulldawg77

Dec 1, 2019
Well that makes sense.

That’s just not smart football is king. Football pays the bills. You want to add to basketball so away with NIL for baseball. We will be going all in on basketball and football. I wouldn’t allocate one penny to baseball.

MSUDAWGFAN

Apr 17, 2014
That’s just not smart football is king. Football pays the bills. You want to add to basketball so away with NIL for baseball. We will be going all in on basketball and football. I wouldn’t allocate one penny to baseball.
It is for us now, but it doesn't have to be. Ask Duke what sport is king. Or North Carolina. Or Kansas.

Question for you: What college coach was the highest paid? The only hint I'll give you is that he is recently retired.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
I would allocate 50% to high ceiling 3* and 4* football players and the other 50% to Eastern European mobsters who will break said 3* and 4* players legs if they try to enter the portal.

We are never going to have enough money in the kitty to be sustain success as long as our better players are aloud to jump ship after every season and chase a payday with another SEC or P5 team.

Bulldawg77

Dec 1, 2019
It is for us now, but it doesn't have to be. Ask Duke what sport is king. Or North Carolina. Or Kansas.

Question for you: What college coach was the highest paid? The only hint I'll give you is that he is recently retired.
Regardless of what you think about Duke UNC or Kansas. Football still pays the bills for those schools. Kansas just upped their football coach to 7MM…. You can’t totally go all in on basketball. But you can 50/50 on football and basketball. I again zero NIl should be allocated to baseball. It’s time we as a fan base grow up and realize football and basketball is the future.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Basketball has no impact on our future. It’s all football. If we want to go all in on basketball bc we think it’s fun that’s fine but It’s not going to make us more or less attractive to the future of college sports. It’s only gonna help a handful of schools, and I’m not even sure how much it really helps Kansas or Duke down the road.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Call me crazy, but I’d dump proportionally more into baseball. Simply because we could triple our football NIL and likely still not see any significant upgrade on the field. I feel like baseball is a sport where doubling our NIL efforts would lead to a significant improvement in the field (after we shltcan lemonhead). Especially if we could land a Skenes type player every once in a while. I understand that football brings in the money, but does going from 5 wins to 6.2 wins change the financials that much? Maybe so if you factor in bowl money.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Call me crazy, but I’d dump proportionally more into baseball. Simply because we could triple our football NIL and likely still not see any significant upgrade on the field. I feel like baseball is a sport where doubling our NIL efforts would lead to a significant improvement in the field (after we shltcan lemonhead). Especially if we could land a Skenes type player every once in a while. I understand that football brings in the money, but does going from 5 wins to 6.2 wins change the financials that much? Maybe so if you factor in bowl money.
And bowls usually net a team zero after expenses. The only purely financial reason to dump money into NIL is in the small chance that there is a seismic shift in media rights deals in 8 years. But if someone told you that things would be status quo for 100 years with media rights then the only reason to dump disproportionately more money into FB is to win (which is the whole point!). And winning certainly has positive collateral effects like student recruiting. Because when someone says “FB pays the bills” it only pays the bills bc of our media and CFP payouts we get by simply being in the sec. Being #1 in 2014 may have sold some more tickets or caused an uptick in giving but it didn’t pay the bills.

I think a lot of people have lost the plot with this stuff

Reactions: aTotal360

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
And bowls usually net a team zero after expenses. The only purely financial reason to dump money into NIL is in the small chance that there is a seismic shift in media rights deals in 8 years. But if someone told you that things would be status quo for 100 years with media rights then the only reason to dump disproportionately more money into FB is to win (which is the whole point!). And winning certainly has positive collateral effects like student recruiting. Because when someone says “FB pays the bills” it only pays the bills bc of our media and CFP payouts we get by simply being in the sec. Being #1 in 2014 may have sold some more tickets or caused an uptick in giving but it didn’t pay the bills.

I think a lot of people have lost the plot with this stuff
Yeah. A million extra dollars in football may not bump the needle. A million extra dollars in baseball would make waves.

Reactions: ezsoil

MSUDAWGFAN

Apr 17, 2014
Regardless of what you think about Duke UNC or Kansas. Football still pays the bills for those schools. Kansas just upped their football coach to 7MM…. You can’t totally go all in on basketball. But you can 50/50 on football and basketball. I again zero NIl should be allocated to baseball. It’s time we as a fan base grow up and realize football and basketball is the future.
And Bill Self makes significantly more than the football coach. And yes, basketball pays the bills for Duke, UNC, and Kansas.

But Bill Self isn't the highest paid coach in sports. Who has been? Again, he is recently retired.

patdog

May 28, 2007
If baseball is getting 10%, then why are we moaning about Lemonis?
Cause that's about 8% more than most baseball teams are getting in NIL. And GA Southern and Austin Peay players even less.

Dogdazey

Nov 16, 2012
Cause that's about 8% more than most baseball teams are getting in NIL. And GA Southern and Austin Peay players even less.

Bad losses to both agreed. But big picture, LSU, Tenn, FLA, TEX, A&M, UM, UGA, USC, possibly ALA and AU are all out paying us if we are spending 10% of total NIL at MSU on baseball.

Bulldawg77

Dec 1, 2019
That not crazy it’s insane asylum crazy. You wanting to be left out of a super conference sure that’s the way to go. Baseball is a regional sports it’s a non revenue and outside of about 20 schools no one cares about college baseball. It should be the 11.7 and zero NIL. Any NIL funding going to baseball is like burning cash. It’s not a good investment for MSU future

Bulldawg77

Dec 1, 2019
And Bill Self makes significantly more than the football coach. And yes, basketball pays the bills for Duke, UNC, and Kansas.

But Bill Self isn't the highest paid coach in sports. Who has been? Again, he is recently retired.
What does saban have to do with this argument

MSUDAWGFAN

Apr 17, 2014
What does saban have to do with this argument
Is that your answer? It isn't correct if so.

The answer is Coach K.

And if basketball doesn't pay the bills at Duke, why would they pay him so much? Are the people at Duke morons or just not fiscally responsible?

travis.sixpack

Mar 3, 2008
Let's start off by acknowledging that none of us have any idea what our annual NIL budget is. So let's talk percentages.

How would you allocate our overall NIL budget across our programs?
  • Football: 60%​
  • Men's Basketball: 25%​
  • Baseball: 10%​
  • Other: 5%*​
If it helps, just assume a $1,000,000 annual budget for a nice round number. If it's $2m, $3m etc, the percentages work the same. Not looking for guesses, but wondering how you all would allocate the total budget, regardless of what it actually is.

* This might get some people worked up. But being realistic, we are always gonna have a small portion set aside for Women's Basketball and non-revenue sports.
In the short term, say 3-4 years, I would commit at least 90% to football. Football drives the ship in college sports and with possibility of the blue bloods leaving the conferences to form a super conference, Mississippi State needs to be in the best position it can possibly be to included in that move. Regardless of how much we love baseball, it doesn't move the needle nationally. Basketball doesn't either - no one is talking about Duke joining the SEC, it's FSU and maybe NC.

Also, a successful football program creates a lot of trickle down benefits for the rest of the university.

We have a small window to turn things around, otherwise when the next big conference shake-up happens, Mississippi State could be left on the outside looking in. If that happens, the SEC welfare checks stop coming and we're in the same boat (maybe even same conference) as Memphis, UAB and Troy.

Go all-in on football, because nothing else really matters when it comes to realignment.

MSUDAWGFAN

Apr 17, 2014
In the short term, say 3-4 years, I would commit at least 90% to football. Football drives the ship in college sports and with possibility of the blue bloods leaving the conferences to form a super conference, Mississippi State needs to be in the best position it can possibly be to included in that move. Regardless of how much we love baseball, it doesn't move the needle nationally. Basketball doesn't either - no one is talking about Duke joining the SEC, it's FSU and maybe NC.

Also, a successful football program creates a lot of trickle down benefits for the rest of the university.

We have a small window to turn things around, otherwise when the next big conference shake-up happens, Mississippi State could be left on the outside looking in. If that happens, the SEC welfare checks stop coming and we're in the same boat (maybe even same conference) as Memphis, UAB and Troy.

Go all-in on football, because nothing else really matters when it comes to realignment.
If we are talking about conference realignment and being left out of a super conference, I agree with this take. However, I'm not sure if we went in 100% if it would really matter at all anyway. What could we realistically move up to in the pecking order?

Reactions: aTotal360
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login