NIL Allocations by sport

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
If we are talking about conference realignment and being left out of a super conference, I agree with this take. However, I'm not sure if we went in 100% if it would really matter at all anyway. What could we realistically move up to in the pecking order?
Right basically comes down to a few things:
1) do you think there is going to a be a move to a super conference by schools in the near future.
2) do you think we have a chance to be involved in said move if it happens?

If the answers to both of those questions are yes.. then every effort needs to be made to be sure that happens.

MSUDAWGFAN

Apr 17, 2014
1) do you think there is going to a be a move to a super conference by schools in the near future.

If the answers to both of those questions are yes.. then every effort needs to be made to be sure that happens.
If the answer to either one of those is no though, I would do my original take of going all in on basketball. We could win a few nattys in that and that would change opinions. A few of my friends went to Duke and they didn't even know who their football coach was. Never went to a single game while they were students. But camped out sometimes a week or so for a basketball game.

Yes, basketball pays the bills at Duke, UNC, and Kansas. I do acknowledge that it does at a relatively few schools, but my point is if we went all in, maybe we could be one of those.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
That not crazy it’s insane asylum crazy. You wanting to be left out of a super conference sure that’s the way to go. Baseball is a regional sports it’s a non revenue and outside of about 20 schools no one cares about college baseball. It should be the 11.7 and zero NIL. Any NIL funding going to baseball is like burning cash. It’s not a good investment for MSU future
If we get left out of a super conference it won’t because of our NIL.

StateCollege

Oct 17, 2022
As big as basketball is at Kentucky, football still brings in more revenue. The gap is much closer than most schools, but football is still king. Regardless of if the fanbase cares more about basketball.

Reactions: bulldoghair

patdog

May 28, 2007

I think we're in very real danger of being left behind if we don't remain competitive in football. We need to do all we can to see that doesn't happen. I used to think if we got left out, Mississippi would too. But with their investment in football recently, they'll be in. We need to be there too.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
I think we're in very real danger of being left behind if we don't remain competitive in football. We need to do all we can to see that doesn't happen. I used to think if we got left out, Mississippi would too. But with their investment in football recently, they'll be in. We need to be there too.
The worst thing that could happen to us is: Florida, Georiga, Alabama, Auburn, Texas, Oklahoma, Tennessee, LSU, TxAM to all break away.

Would leave Vandy, US, Ole Miss, Missouri, Arkansas, South Carolina, Kentucky in a mess of either keeping up or breaking away and adding Memphis, and school like that to form our own conference.

Not sure how the remaining schools would be ranked or would be looked at. off the cuff seems like Arkansas would be the next one IN so to speak, but not sure thats even the case.

patdog

May 28, 2007
The worst thing that could happen to us is: Florida, Georiga, Alabama, Auburn, Texas, Oklahoma, Tennessee, LSU, TxAM to all break away.

Would leave Vandy, US, Ole Miss, Missouri, Arkansas, South Carolina, Kentucky in a mess of either keeping up or breaking away and adding Memphis, and school like that to form our own conference.

Not sure how the remaining schools would be ranked or would be looked at. off the cuff seems like Arkansas would be the next one IN so to speak, but not sure thats even the case.
Worst in some ways, best in others. It would be a HUGE revenue hit. But we'd be in 2nd tier conference with Big 12 and/or ACC remnants plus a few AAC schools. We'd be a lot more competitive than we are in the SEC.

Oct 17, 2023
It is for us now, but it doesn't have to be. Ask Duke what sport is king. Or North Carolina. Or Kansas.

Question for you: What college coach was the highest paid? The only hint I'll give you is that he is recently retired.
There was a report a few years ago that stated that even at kentucky and Duke, football brought in more money that basketball.

ETA: The following is the from the Duke website.

Duke Football is the team with the highest total revenues, earning $39,669,829 in 2020. Much of this is likely to come from TV licensing rights. Unsurprisingly, basketball was the second-highest team in terms of revenue, making $33,382,946.

ETA:

Kansas revenue 2022: $40 million football. $13 million basketball.​

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Worst in some ways, best in others. It would be a HUGE revenue hit. But we'd be in 2nd tier conference with Big 12 and/or ACC remnants plus a few AAC schools. We'd be a lot more competitive than we are in the SEC.
being average in the best conference to me is being better than being good in a so-so conference. Just my thoughts. Id prefer to not drop down to be more competitive.

MSUDAWGFAN

Apr 17, 2014
There was a report a few years ago that stated that even at kentucky and Duke, football brought in more money that basketball.

ETA: The following is the from the Duke website.

Duke Football is the team with the highest total revenues, earning $39,669,829 in 2020. Much of this is likely to come from TV licensing rights. Unsurprisingly, basketball was the second-highest team in terms of revenue, making $33,382,946.

ETA:

Kansas revenue 2022: $40 million football. $13 million basketball.​

Revenue is one thing. Football has more costs than basketball. Now look up profit. If I'm wrong, I'll admit it, but we need to look at the whole picture.

Also, is this revenue from conference revenue sharing or their actual ticket sales, parking, concessions, etc? Because if it includes conference sharing revnue, let's just count the revenue they actually generate.

patdog

May 28, 2007
being average in the best conference to me is being better than being good in a so-so conference. Just my thoughts. Id prefer to not drop down to be more competitive.
We're not average in the SEC. Even less so when TX & OK are added.

Reactions: aTotal360

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
We're not average in the SEC. Even less so when TX & OK are added.
I'd call us average. The blue bloods for sure above us.. below us for sure Vandy, Mizzou--- I mean we've been a steady middle of the pack team for the last 15-20 years. Sure some others have had some higher high's.. but consistant in the middle pack is what we've been.

To me their are tiers:
Bama, UGA
OU, Texas, Florida, TxAM, LSU, Tenn
Ole Miss, Auburn- is a tweener to me
Kentucky, US, South Carolina, Ark, Mizzou
Vandy

travis.sixpack

Mar 3, 2008
If we are talking about conference realignment and being left out of a super conference, I agree with this take. However, I'm not sure if we went in 100% if it would really matter at all anyway. What could we realistically move up to in the pecking order?
It depends on the size of the new conference, but I could see State moving ahead of UK, USC, and Ark, not to mention all the Big12 or ACC schools, not named FSU, Clemson, or UNC.

Bulldawg77

Dec 1, 2019
Revenue is one thing. Football has more costs than basketball. Now look up profit. If I'm wrong, I'll admit it, but we need to look at the whole picture.

Also, is this revenue from conference revenue sharing or their actual ticket sales, parking, concessions, etc? Because if it includes conference sharing revnue, let's just count the revenue they actually generate.
Football even at Kansas and Duke still generates more revenue in football than basketball that’s what we are trying to explain to you. No matter what football drives the train

MSUDAWGFAN

Apr 17, 2014
Football even at Kansas and Duke still generates more revenue in football than basketball that’s what we are trying to explain to you. No matter what football drives the train
Again, how much PROFIT does football generate vs how much PROFIT does basketball generate? What I'm telling you is that football costs much more than basketball. Total coaching salaries. Travel costs. Recruiting budgets. All of those play factors into it. I still stand by Duke making FAR more money than football. That isn't total revenue. If that's what you thought from my initial post, I should have been more clear.

Again, if I'm wrong I'll change my position.

You can own a company that gets $100,000,000 in revenue, but you have costs or 10,0000,000,000 and I have a company that makes 1,000,000 in revenue but only has costs of 50,000. Which one would you want?

I'm not talking about growth companies either. I'm talking about mature companies.

The answer is the second company, because the first one would be out of business.

Mjoelner

Sep 2, 2006
That’s just not smart football is king. Football pays the bills. You want to add to basketball so away with NIL for baseball. We will be going all in on basketball and football. I wouldn’t allocate one penny to baseball.
I'd go right the opposite. 100% for baseball. You could give 100% to football or basketball and you still wouldn't be a pimple on the ******* of the big boys. If they want your guy, they are going to get your guy. The pool that can do that in baseball is much, much smaller.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Again, how much PROFIT does football generate vs how much PROFIT does basketball generate? What I'm telling you is that football costs much more than basketball. Total coaching salaries. Travel costs. Recruiting budgets. All of those play factors into it. I still stand by Duke making FAR more money than football. That isn't total revenue. If that's what you thought from my initial post, I should have been more clear.

Again, if I'm wrong I'll change my position.

You can own a company that gets $100,000,000 in revenue, but you have costs or 10,0000,000,000 and I have a company that makes 1,000,000 in revenue but only has costs of 50,000. Which one would you want?

I'm not talking about growth companies either. I'm talking about mature companies.

The answer is the second company, because the first one would be out of business.
For 2021-2022, football generated $30,758,917 revenue (not counting $9,166,086 SEC distributions) and had expenses of $29,095,668. Net profit $1,663,249 (before SEC distributions). Basketball generated $8,029,304 (not counting $511,134 SEC distributions) and had expenses of $8,384,574, for a net loss before SEC distributions of $355,270.

MSUDAWGFAN

Apr 17, 2014
For 2021-2022, football generated $30,758,917 revenue (not counting $9,166,086 SEC distributions) and had expenses of $29,095,668. Net profit $1,663,249 (before SEC distributions). Basketball generated $8,029,304 (not counting $511,134 SEC distributions) and had expenses of $8,384,574, for a net loss before SEC distributions of $355,270.
I'm talking about for the schools that are the basketball blue chips that I mentioned. Duke. UNC. Kansas.

I wouldn't think our basketball program would generate more than our football program.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I'm talking about for the schools that are the basketball blue chips that I mentioned. Duke. UNC. Kansas.

I wouldn't think our basketball program would generate more than our football program.
Ah. Looks like you're right about the elite basketball schools. Looking at North Carolina, their net before ACC distributions is $14,479,176 for football and $20,567,611 for basketball.

Reactions: MSUDAWGFAN

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
I'd call us average. The blue bloods for sure above us.. below us for sure Vandy, Mizzou--- I mean we've been a steady middle of the pack team for the last 15-20 years. Sure some others have had some higher high's.. but consistant in the middle pack is what we've been.

To me their are tiers:
Bama, UGA
OU, Texas, Florida, TxAM, LSU, Tenn
Ole Miss, Auburn- is a tweener to me
Kentucky, US, South Carolina, Ark, Mizzou
Vandy
Are you saying our football program is above Missouri’s ?

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Are you saying our football program is above Missouri’s ?
over the last 10-20 years. Without question right there with it, or above it.

14 bowl apperances by both. Both have been ranked as high as #1. Missouri has finished in the 3 times in the CFB final poll, we have 4. Missouri has 2 top 10 finishes, we have 2 top 15 finishes.

As stated. Some of the other programs have higher highs. But we've been consistantly in the middle. Perhaps Missouri should be the tier with us above vanderbilt though.

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
over the last 10-20 years. Without question right there with it, or above it.

14 bowl apperances by both. Both have been ranked as high as #1. Missouri has finished in the 3 times in the CFB final poll, we have 4. Missouri has 2 top 10 finishes, we have 2 top 15 finishes.

As stated. Some of the other programs have higher highs. But we've been consistantly in the middle. Perhaps Missouri should be the tier with us above vanderbilt though.
I think you have to look at today not 20 years ago. Missouri 11-2 #8 would have been a playoff team this year. We will struggle to win more than 4 games next year.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I think you have to look at today not 20 years ago. Missouri 11-2 #8 would have been a playoff team this year. We will struggle to win more than 4 games next year.
1 good year doesn't make a good program. The schools that make the cut (wherever that cut is, whether it's 20 schools or 80), will be the ones with long-term good programs and revenues.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
You can use a 4 year window to argue any point you want. Prior to this season Mizzou hadnt finished above 500 in their previous 4.

I think you have to use overall and historical facts when inviting teams into a conference. Anyone can be a flash in the pan (not saying mizzou is that).

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
1 good year doesn't make a good program. The schools that make the cut (wherever that cut is, whether it's 20 schools or 80), will be the ones with long-term good programs and revenues.

It’s a trend, and turning around that big of disparity in college football is like turning around an oil tanker. This era of NIL and the portal makes it that much more difficult if you aren’t awash in cash.

Unless drinkowitz moves on I don’t see Missouri being below our program for many years.

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
Yeah. A million extra dollars in football may not bump the needle. A million extra dollars in baseball would make waves.
This is so dumb. Yeah we’d possibly “make waves” in a sport that loses money annually and no one outside of a few states in the south gives a flying 17 about.

Meanwhile, the cost of not fully investing in football would inevitably result our university and athletic department as a whole (including baseball) being wiped off the map and Mississippi State becoming a poor man’s Southern Miss in a matter of a few years.

Why does our fanbase choose to be like this?

Reactions: Bulldawg77

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
This is so dumb. Yeah we’d possibly “make waves” in a sport that loses money annually and no one outside of a few states in the south gives a flying 17 about.

Meanwhile, the cost of not fully investing in football would inevitably result our university and athletic department as a whole (including baseball) being wiped off the map and Mississippi State becoming a poor man’s Southern Miss in a matter of a few years.

Why does our fanbase choose to be like this?
Do you think we are ever going to be above average in football in the NIL era? I got bad news for you...

Reactions: patdog and 85Bears

StateCollege

Oct 17, 2022
Do you think we are ever going to be above average in football in the NIL era? I got bad news for you...
Well, that depends what you deem to be above average. I would call the Mullen era to be above average. And that was our best stretch in school history, but still were only a 7-8 win program. With the right buy-in, I do think we can remain competitive in the new NIL era.

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
Truthfully? Who the hell knows? We’ve never fully invested in football as a university. We’ve averaged 7 wins a year since 2010. Pretty average, my guess is if we went all in like most SEC schools it would buy us another win or so. No one is claiming we’ll rattle off multiple SEC championships, that’s delusional.

But I do know the answer isn’t to tuck your tail between your legs and say we shouldn’t invest in football and give more money to baseball. That’s truly asinine and dangerous as hell for the future of MSU. It’s a niche sport. Loser mentality.

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
Our issues in football and baseball lately don’t have anything to do with NIL. Our issues is our head coaches suck a s s . We will go as far as Lebby goes. This isn’t rocket science. If our fanbase and university invests in NIL + Lebby is a good coach we will win football games and it will be entertaining. If Lebby sucks then we will fire him and move on to the next. NIL is only a part of the equation.

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
Doing some quick math on say 1 million:

80% to football: is 10K a player to be spread out how they see fit... just the average
10% to basektball: 8K a player
5% to baseball: 2K per player
5% elsehwere

obviously your hoping and thinking the numbers are more than a million... and those numbers may not be right either.. trying to balance the roster numbers

Id say to sheer roster size. Football would have to be higher than 60%
That is the best way to be bad at all the sports.
Give it to basketball. Buy 5 players for 2 years. Make the 2 year commitment. We will win the entire thing.

Reactions: MSUDAWGFAN

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
But I do know the answer isn’t to tuck your tail between your legs and say we shouldn’t invest in football and give more money to baseball. That’s truly asinine and dangerous as hell for the future of MSU. It’s a niche sport. Loser mentality.
I guess you are dense or illiterate. Likely both. I never said we shouldn't invest in football.

With that being said, I'd rather win another championship in baseball than maybe get to a mid-tier bowl game in football.

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
I guess you are dense or illiterate. Likely both. I never said we shouldn't invest in football.

With that being said, I'd rather win another championship in baseball than maybe get to a mid-tier bowl game in football.
No but you did say something idiotic about “making waves” in a sport that 99% of the population doesn’t care about. A sport that loses money annually doesn’t make waves.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
If you'd rather go to Nashville or Jacksonville for a bowl game than Omaha...that's fine I guess.

StateCollege

Oct 17, 2022
I think everyone needs to understand that if the Super Conference theory does come to fruition, we aren't getting invited regardless. Schools like us would be the entire reason for Bama, UGA, LSU etc to breakaway because they don't want to share revenue with schools that don't pull their own weight. There's simply nothing we can do other than hope it never happens.

Bulldawg77

Dec 1, 2019
Do you think most schools give a flying feck about baseball. We truly have the dumbest fans. But but muh baseball muh lfl muh Ron polk statue. Muh DNF. This why other fan bases laugh at us

Last edited:

travis.sixpack

Mar 3, 2008
A million times. We make money going to a bowl game we don’t make money in baseball. More people watch a bowl game than watch a cws game. It’s a damn club sport
And when Judgement Day comes
I think everyone needs to understand that if the Super Conference theory does come to fruition, we aren't getting invited regardless. Schools like us would be the entire reason for Bama, UGA, LSU etc to breakaway because they don't want to share revenue with schools that don't pull their own weight. There's simply nothing we can do other than hope it never happens.
It depends on the size of the league. 32 teams? We’re toast. 48? I think we make it, unless we totally tank like we did in the 2000s.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login