NIL issues

M R DAWGS

Apr 13, 2018
Here’s the problem with the NIL.

Giving money to the NIL is like voluntarily paying taxes.

Take what you earn and give it to “someone” who knows “best” what to do with it.

I’m going to be honest, I’ve never met anyone who knows what to do with my money better than me. I just can’t care that much about MSU football.

All of you NIL’ers carry on. I’m glad that you “give” and hope the future ROI is massive.

Last edited:

patdog

May 28, 2007
How is that any different than the old Bulldog Club donations? If you want Mississippi State to be competitive, move your BC donations to NIL. They do nothing for us in the BC

I don’t like it either. But that’s the world we live in.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Likely not much, but at least with the BC you thought it was possibly going to university improvement rather than the pockets of 18-21 year olds. Who may or may not be worth it.
So what happens if we don't participate in the NIL world? I hope you're OK with 2-10 seasons. Because that's where we're going to be if we don't play the game. Meanwhile, our biggest rival is using NIL to be more competitive than they've ever been.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
The problem in lack of nil funds is because State doesn't have the corporate sponsors and number of rich alumni comparable to rivals.

Asking Avg Joe's to pitch in $20-40 a month is like turning a garden hose on a house fire.
Every school is asking that. The BI gets large donors too and realizes that’s where our bread is buttered.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
The problem in lack of nil funds is because State doesn't have the corporate sponsors and number of rich alumni comparable to rivals.

Asking Avg Joe's to pitch in $20-40 a month is like turning a garden hose on a house fire.
Yuup, but if Avg Joe's, wife, Avg Jane, gives up two Starbucks trips per month, Avg Joe would have the $20 for the NIL.

60sdog

Oct 9, 2010
How is that any different than the old Bulldog Club donations? If you want Mississippi State to be competitive, move your BC donations to NIL. They do nothing for us in the BC

The main difference is the transfer portal. It is the Wild West version of the NFL. No way to say we are not a minor league FB league now. Takes the school loyalty and esprit de corps out of what used to be a good sport. Took the charm out of it.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022

Correct.

bulldoghair

Jul 9, 2013
The problem here at State is we aren’t unified in going all in on either solely football , or basketball and maybe baseball together. Either way, here at state we can’t afford to split NIL between the three and then expect to compete at the top in the SEC in all three.

Reactions: patdog

Villagedawg

Nov 16, 2005
Same. I’m not giving anything to NIL. It’s like asking me to donate to my favorite musician so he can buy new guitars. It’s entertainment for me. I’m going to watch and comment as long as it entertains me. When it doesn’t, I won’t watch. Give up two Starbucks trips or whatever else I do? No. I like that too, so no. Get ready for 2-10 seasons? So be it. I’ll be entertained elsewhere. It’s just not even close to that important to me.

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
I'm just opposed to the whole concept. I was very much in favor of letting athletes earn money through endorsements, uses of their image, social media, OnlyFans, whatever. But it very quickly became just handing these guys cash so they will play for you, with no controls.

Make these guys employees, and sign them to contracts. Then we can all contribute by buying tickets with jacked up prices to cover the players salaries.

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
The main difference is the transfer portal. It is the Wild West version of the NFL. No way to say we are not a minor league FB league now. Takes the school loyalty and esprit de corps out of what used to be a good sport. Took the charm out of it.
I used to say I prefer college sports because I felt more connected to the team.

Sure, the NFL is entertaining, but that is what it is: pure entertainment consumption.

I felt more a part of my school’s team. Yes, it was entertainment, but it was also an association. I didn’t just consume my team’s games, I was a part of the team.

College sports has become this weird thing that isn’t amateur and isn’t professional. I still prefer college sports (and give to NIL), but I’m starting to gravitate more towards pro sports, which I wouldn’t have believed would ever happen just five years ago.

Reactions: JackShephard

PBRME

Feb 12, 2004
And Avg Joe’s favorite team wouldn’t win anymore than they do now….he’d just have a more cranky wife who hasn’t had her caffeine fix.
He might not have a wife when she finds out why she’s having to cut back expenses. Paying bills, putting more towards mortgage, setting aside for vacation? Nope. Sending money to bribe some random kid to stay/transfer to State.

Crazy Cotton

Aug 26, 2012
Why not go to the baseball draft rules - let the NFL bid on these guys as they are coming out of high schools. I know they aren't ready to play ball, but If you could bring in a hot QB prospect to develop for a few years instead of having to compete for him down the road as a top draft pick, well then. And some of these truly elite guys would be out of the college system.
The NFL is getting a free farm system right now, which sucks.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Why not go to the baseball draft rules - let the NFL bid on these guys as they are coming out of high schools. I know they aren't ready to play ball, but If you could bring in a hot QB prospect to develop for a few years instead of having to compete for him down the road as a top draft pick, well then. And some of these truly elite guys would be out of the college system.
The NFL is getting a free farm system right now, which sucks.
The NFL would never go for that. They don’t want these guys out of high school.

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

ababyatemydingo

Nov 27, 2008
Until there is a salary cap, we would be just kidding ourselves that we can keep up.
Salary cap would have no effect on NIL. It would still exist in its current form. Courts made that crystal clear. The haves would still reign and the have nots would still suffer. The players win either way. They get guaranteed money, plus the good ones get NIL money on top of salary from the school. It's a perverted mess

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
Until there is a salary cap, we would be just kidding ourselves that we can keep up.
Salary cap is worthless. It'll just go back to being under the table like it was before. Only possible solution I see is putting some type of major restrictions on the portal and reducing roster sizes.

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
It’s true that this is the world we live in now but it makes no sense. If you have some extra money that goes to charity, which is a better use for those funds? (1) give it to a teenager to run up and down a glorified pasture with a ball or (2) give it to St. Jude’s Children’s Hospital, the United Way, or one of the many other places where it will actually do something good for people? It’s your money and you can do whatever you want too, but if you think about it the answer is pretty obvious.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Every other SEC school has more fans and those have have more money. It’s the numbers.
It’s always been that way. Everyone has anlways had better recruiting classes than us. Auburn has more fans and money. They stink. Florida state has a huge payroll. They stink. Florida- gobs of money and people. They stink. Mizzou has less money and people than most schools. They are good.

Hire good coaches. Develop kids and they are much cheaper to keep when they consider hitting the portal. Find portal guys the same way. Like Kevin Coleman or Blake shapen. The damage to this program was done by the prior coaching regimes not building it with a flip. 4 years after hiring Leach 5 of our 7 best defensive players were Mullen recruits in 2023. And now we have no one on defense.

Coaches matter way more. No good coach is going to fail bc of NIL anywhere.

Last edited:

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
Salary cap is worthless. It'll just go back to being under the table like it was before. Only possible solution I see is putting some type of major restrictions on the portal and reducing roster sizes.
First, we have to recognize the players as employees, which is happening. Then the players have to unionize, which is also happening. THEN, the schools can negotiate a collective bargaining agreement to put in rules for all of this...but the schools would have to be serious about maintaining some sort of competitive balance which might not happen.

Fun fact: The term "student-athlete" was coined in the 1950s in the fight to deny worker's comp rights to the players. Seems like that should barely be an issue for D1 schools these days, even for the smaller sports. The lower divisions would probably need to expand their workers comp insurance to cover the athletes.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Yuup, but if Avg Joe's, wife, Avg Jane, gives up two Starbucks trips per month, Avg Joe would have the $20 for the NIL.
Would average Joe's wife approve? It's more like $12 for above average Podgy's wife. And above average Podgy's wife would tell Podgy to be a little less Podgy and spend less on things he enjoys in life and leave her alone to enjoy Starbucks twice a month.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
It’s always been that way. Everyone has anlways had better recruiting classes than us. Auburn has more fans and money. They stink. Florida state has a huge payroll. They stink. Florida- gobs of money and people. They stink. Mizzou has less money and people than most schools. They are good.

Hire good coaches. Develop kids and they are much cheaper to keep when they consider hitting the portal. Find portal guys the same way. Like Kevin Coleman or Blake shapen. The damage to this program was done by the prior coaching regimes not building it with a flip. 4 years after hiring Leach 5 of our 7 best defensive players were Mullen recruits in 2023. And now we have no one on defense.

Also having NIL money to spend doesn’t mean jack shít if you can’t recruit them to come here. You still have to sell the program and your vision to these guys like you would a high school recruit. Throwing money at them doesn’t mean automatic success in getting the transfers you need.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022

I don't disagree with this. However, ya'll really need to quit placing the blame on Leach. He got his share of talent. Damage was done last year by getting away from the Air Raid, then the total overhaul of the roster this year (blame Arnett, blame Lebby, whatever, it happened). All you have to do is look right here: https://247sports.com/college/missi...football/transferportal/?institutionkey=24104

With upheaval like that, Lebby has to be held somewhat responsible. Bodies were there. At MSU, we've always had guys that held G5 offers and then we developed them, so let's not act like a freshman that transferred to G5 couldn't have eventually helped us.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login